Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

This fuckstick is making me root for Greg Abbott. Fucking hell.

But you should vote for the fuckstick in the Republican primary.

The more votes he gets, the higher chance he runs 3rd party in the general.  That and some of us running a social media campaign telling him the primary was rigged by Abbott against him.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 9:50 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It may draw voters to Huffines (Narrator: it will) but it will be a problem for BMDs.   And some Republicans are hung up on the Israel thing.  But I would like to see white supremacy be an issue in the GOP primaries.

The GOP primaries should be telecast in public squares in Latino neighborhoods in Texas and Florida so Spanish speakers and anybody of color can see where they stand.  If you ain't white, you ain't right can have more than one meaning.  Dems should definitely show this for what it is, but they won't.  They'll somehow tie their shoelaces together, trip and impale themselves.  

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

You’re adorable.

Beelzebub Childrapist Puppykiller ® wins every stateside race by 8 points. Because you can’t vote for a commie dem, right?

I was hoping anyone but you would answer.m, because I knew you would go with hyperbole, and I was looking for a serious answer.  I don’t want him in, but can see him causing issues for Abbott.  

It would take a special Dem, Beto is not that Dem though (to answer your question) 

I was hoping anyone but you would answer.m, because I knew you would go with hyperbole, and I was looking for a serious answer.  I don’t want him in, but can see him causing issues for Abbott.  

It would take a special Dem, Beto is not that Dem though (to answer your question) 

It’s the Republican Party in Texas. Hyperbole IS the serious answer.

Seriously. Generic R beats generic D by 8. Shittiest R imaginable….maybe it drops to 6 (see Cruz). It doesn’t matter who the D is, because all Ds are commies who want to take your money and give it to illegals in the form of cash wrapped around obamaphones.
  • Like 4

Why would you vote for Abbott?

What part of Beto’s platform are you against?

We’ve seen what Abbott does and Beto isn’t a better choice based on policy alone?

11 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The GOP primaries should be telecast in public squares in Latino neighborhoods in Texas and Florida so Spanish speakers and anybody of color can see where they stand.  If you ain't white, you ain't right can have more than one meeting.  Dems should definitely show this for what it is, but they won't.  They'll somehow tie their shoelaces together, trip and impale themselves.  

and then blame it on the R's. fucking feckless assholes

I honestly doubt it. 52 percent of the state or whatever it was voted for Donald Trump. And that was in a lightly blue tinted political environment. Stripping away any value judgement and just looking at patterns of behavior and platform - what has Huffines done that would cause part of that Trump voting majority to defect to Beto, in a pretty favorable year for Republicans at that? Especially considering Biden picked up a majority of the Abbott-Beto voters from 2018 based on his performance ahead of other statewide Democrats. I think Beto could get into the upper 40s against Huffines, but the GOP appears to have a hard floor of 51 percent, at least.

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

But you should vote for the fuckstick in the Republican primary.

The more votes he gets, the higher chance he runs 3rd party in the general.  That and some of us running a social media campaign telling him the primary was rigged by Abbott against him.

Again, it's like some of you were asleep during the Republican primary leading up to the 2016 presidential election.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

They aren’t coming for your guns. They have had opportunity after opportunity.

The GOP have come after womens rights, gay rights, removing books, fucking up education, letting people freeze to death because they ignored fixing the grid… but by all means, keep you precious gun. emoji849.png

There’s a saying I see often in the CR.  When someone tells you who they are, listen to them. 

So there is three ways you can look at his stance, that I can see. 
1) He was insincere, or flat lying, about his stance during his initial campaign. 
2) He makes rash, emotional decisions. 
3) He was failing in his run, and took an opportunity to try and score political points to help resurrect his campaign.  It’s for you to decide where you think he falls on that, and what his motivations were. 

I understand you don’t seem to care about my single issue, or prioritize it anyhow. But then you make a (questionable) list of items that don’t affect me at all.  I assume you want me to care about your precious concerns, no? 

Edited by fattyflattie

There’s a saying I see often in the CR.  When someone tells you who they are, listen to them. 

1) He was insincere, or flat lying, about his stance during his initial campaign. 
3) He was failing in his run, and took an opportunity to try and score political points to help resurrect his campaign.  It’s for you to decide where you think he falls on that, and what his motivations were. 

I understand you don’t seem to care about my single issue, or prioritize it anyhow. But then you make a (questionable) list of items that don’t affect me at all.  I assume you want me to care about your precious concerns, no? 

No don’t expect you to, as you said, they don’t affect you. Your posting on this and the Biden page make it abundantly clear that you care about what you see out of your window.

I think he would do away with guns, if he could. He can’t. No one can. That ship sailed long ago, but the Dems won’t admit it and the republicans keep using it to keep single issue voters in line.
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Do you act like this in real life? People bring up hundreds of deaths and you respond flippantly about their "precious concerns?"

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So your political compass would best be described as "depends on who I'm talking to and how much attitude they're giving?"

My entire compass revolves around that.  You can be a dick, but you should expect it back.  If you'd like to belittle my beliefs, surely expect the same for yours. 

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Calling your guns precious was disrespectful? My apologies.

Yeah, I feel like it was a dig.  You asked a question, I answered, and you decided it would be prudent to throw some surliness on your next response, but didn't expect any back?  

54 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

What animal are you uselessly hunting with an AR-15? Grandpappy is rolling in his grave.

I don't hunt anything with an AR-15.  I strongly support your constitutional right to bear one, though.   My grandfather didn't respect men who spoke out of one side of their mouth, then the other when it stood to advance their political gain.  He also used a 30 carbine when he fought in WWII, so I doubt he'd have much issue with today's version. 

a ton of people on the left have guns and want to keep their guns. There are democrat gun clubs. Having a democrat gov isn’t going to make you or anyone else lose their guns.

I want better gun laws. I want it to be harder to get a gun. I don’t want some dipshit riding his bike through our neighborhood with his pistol on his hip (yes, I’ve seen it).

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

i...i'm...i'm astounded at this. literally. do you not have women in your life that you care about, children that you wish to see educated, know a gay or (gasp) transgendered person or people that lost power/water for an entire week last year, or care about everyone's right to vote in this country?? 

i was giving you some credit yesterday...i'm really just going to have to assume that you rather inartfully phrased your response here. otherwise...to prioritize your 'single issue' - an issue that is constitutionally protected and that a single governor especially in Texas will never have any actual impact on - over all of those others...well, that just makes you a gotdamn cretin. and i didn't think you were.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i...i'm...i'm astounded at this. literally. do you not have women in your life that you care about, children that you wish to see educated, know a gay or (gasp) transgendered person or people that lost power/water for an entire week last year, or care about everyone's right to vote in this country?? 

i was giving you some credit yesterday...i'm really just going to have to assume that you rather inartfully phrased your response here. otherwise...to prioritize your 'single issue' - an issue that is constitutionally protected and that a single governor especially in Texas will never have any actual impact on - over all of those others...well, that just makes you a gotdamn cretin. and i didn't think you were.

Well let's dig thru it some.  I don't necessarily believe the lefts talking points on any of those items listed, save abortion.  No one is burning any books, our education is ho hum and embarrassing but I surely don't think Beto has the answer for it.   I'm a proponent for LGBTQIA2S+ rights (read - I'm pretty fucking far from evangelical), but save some athletics stuff with the trans community I haven't seen anything on that?  I'm willing to learn about it, if you can show me where they are being targeted.  And finally the grid.  No one is going to fix the grid.  At the end of the day, the midstream companies answer to their shareholders (you and me and Abbott and Beto himself).  Fixing that issue causes a direct problem with that.  There's reasons for the loopholes in getting equipment up to $pec in a timely fashion. 

I believe all these tweets from Huffines has yall thinking the Gov is responsible for everything in Texas?  I've been assured for the last several years that Abbott is not the legislature and is largely powerless. Ill leave out the easy joke about his disability that are commonplace on this board. 

Aside from the LGBTQIA2S+ issues every other issue is easily solvable for me.   

I specifically started this conversation because Huffines is bit too right for my comfort, and was wondering if Beto would beat him?  I don't believe I'm alone in that, among conservatives (I know, snicker-chuckle-snicker).  

I don't think you are disingenuous poster but please spare me the constitutionally protected rhetoric about my concerns, while having concern over a supreme court protected abortion.  The are both some of the most contested issues between the US parties.  And the D candidate is on record screaming about my concern, while one of the R candidates is acting upon yours. 

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

a ton of people on the left have guns and want to keep their guns.

I know a few myself. 

I want better gun laws.

I’d like the ones we have now to be enforced. 

I want it to be harder to get a gun.

Ok. I’m *probably OK with that too. 

I don’t want some dipshit riding his bike through our neighborhood with his pistol on his hip (yes, I’ve seen it).

That’s a stupid law.  I think I’ve seen 2-3 people open carry in last year or whatever since it passed. 

Seems pretty politically agreeable. Why not scream about that instead? 

20 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

some dudes right to own a high capacity automatic assault rifle in Katy so he could defend his garage from someone trying to steal his jet ski.

We should probably have the ATF regulate those. We can call them NFA items, and make them nearly impossible to afford, and extremely difficult to procure. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Maybe I’m kinda dense but I don’t get your point here. If you have one. 

You can't just run down to the academy and buy an automatic assault rifle.  It takes some stamps, and some specialty taxes to be paid, some 9 months worth of review, among other things.  Or you can have some big time $$$ and pickup something pre-ban, if you can find it. 

No don’t expect you to, as you said, they don’t affect you. Your posting on this and the Biden page make it abundantly clear that you care about what you see out of your window.

I think he would do away with guns, if he could. He can’t. No one can. That ship sailed long ago, but the Dems won’t admit it and the republicans keep using it to keep single issue voters in line.
This. Anyone who thinks any party is going to take guns out of your house, off the streets, or ban outright is a moron of the highest order.

This should never be a reason to vote for or against a particular candidate or party. It's a nonstarter from jump street.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I've been assured for the last several years that Abbott is not the legislature and is largely powerless.

He is and isn't powerless.  He fucks up a lot of things with his executive orders and special sessions.  The moment the Trump part of the GOP got on his ass about COVID-stuff, he began fighting school closures and mask mandates, and threatening school districts' funding over the things they were trying to do to keep their schools open, as well as cities and counties.  He was an absolute piece of shit towards local government, local school districts, and against parents.  

A small-government Republican would have let local governments and school boards make up their own minds, since those local county and city officials and school boards are elected and held accountable by the local voters.

He knows better.  That's the infuriating thing.  With his legal background both as a lawyer, as Texas Attorney General, and his time on the Texas Supreme Court, he knows that as Governor he doesn't have the power he tries to wield with his executive orders, and that those orders will wind up in court and will cost Texas taxpayers money, and he still does it, because Huffines, etc. were giving him shit over it.  

He wastes taxpayer money for political reasons on those fights against counties, cities, and school districts, and he inflicts needless hardships on those entities because they are in Democrat/liberal areas, and he fucking brags about it publicly.

Ill leave out the easy joke about his disability that are commonplace on this board. 

We make the jokes because he worked to get the laws changed so that the payout he still receives to this day, would not happen for other people who had accidents since then.  I wouldn't joke about it if he had returned all of the money he had received from the insurance company, but he still proudly takes the money from them, and he is still against other people receiving the same favorable payout that he did.  Hypocrisy deserves to be mocked, even if it makes people uncomfortable.

I specifically started this conversation because Huffines is bit too right for my comfort, and was wondering if Beto would beat him?  I don't believe I'm alone in that, among conservatives (I know, snicker-chuckle-snicker).  

Huffines doubled down on keeping the guy with white supremacist ties.  That would cost him in a minority-majority state.  I know other people will say that in Texas, a Republican having a staffer with serious white supremacist affiliations wouldn't matter, and that Republican publicly bragging about keeping that staffer because he's against cancel culture is normal, but it's going to matter in this day and age.

• Hook 'Em 3

For fuck's sake, Abbott is constantly trying to use Austin as a punching bag to polish his Republican/Trump credentials.  He doesn't like a local city making changes to their police force, so he openly starts talking about the state taking over the police force.  He tries to get legislation crafted that only targets the major cities in Texas that lean liberal.

There's nothing small government Republican about that shit, that's straight-up Big Government Liberalism that a bunch of us were raised to loathe in the 80s and 90s.  Rush Limbaugh and Newt Gingrich and others told us in the 1990s that the Democrats were trying to do exactly the things the Republicans now openly talk about doing in the 2020s.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Or outlaw abortions, right? 
Yes, Abbott all by himself outlawed abortions. He's the most powerful governor to ever hold office.

Republicans across the country have anointed him the next savior of the party. Many are saying that Trump will actually suck Abbott's dick in Conroe this weekend, breaking the longstanding tradition of GOP members gargling Trump's mushroom while on stage.