Texas Governor's Race 2022

atomheartbevo

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

If theres snowpocalypse '22 this race might get interesting

It would be pretty "interesting" to see the voters of Texas handily reelect the governor that had that happen twice on his watch. So in that sense, I agree with you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 9:04 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Don't be a pussy Abbott, give away a Barrett.

Also, not sure who is in the burnt orange but.....the boots are a little too tall, but...

FKUYzZYXsAYAO_u?format=jpg&name=medium

She is shorter than Huffines (sub five ft) is the other dork Harvey Hilderbran (failed former state rep)?

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He just needs to link it to Abbott snatching kids off the street and modifying their genders.  

The crazy hair on fire shit just gets crazier everyday.  

Stewart, you're not like all the other kids in the trailer park...DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE QUEERS ARE DOING TO OUR SOIL?!?!? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey Don, people aren't looking at us as the lighthouse of liberty when you want to try and force kids to pray in school (hint: they have the ability to do so right now, and if they don't, it's because they don't want to).

That's another problem with homeschoolers - they have no clue that kids in public schools in Texas have a moment of silence in the morning to pray or think about finger- banging Mary Jane Rottencrotch, or what they are going to do in Minecraft.

Why does the billboard say it is paid for by Chinese Texans for Huffines and then in smaller letters say paid for by Don Huffines Campaign? Huffines is getting a lot of money from the Stickland run Defend Texas Liberty PAC which is where the article below goes into some detail about the big money flowing to his campaign.

https://www.texasobserver.org/hard-right-megadonors-tim-dunn-and-farris-wilks-pump-millions-into-gop-primary-wars/

Also, @atomheartbevo, a few pages back I had taken a look at the revenue streams that are publicly available and really it is going to be a bait and switch (which most of us knew already). It comes down to math and I just don't see how he can make the numbers work w/o pissing off his socioeconomic class because he would have to include them or the fees etc would make the fail larger than what happened to Kansas I wager.

Huffines radiates autocratic tendencies.

Why does the billboard say it is paid for by Chinese Texans for Huffines and then in smaller letters say paid for by Don Huffines Campaign? Huffines is getting a lot of money from the Stickland run Defend Texas Liberty PAC which is where the article below goes into some detail about the big money flowing to his campaign.
https://www.texasobserver.org/hard-right-megadonors-tim-dunn-and-farris-wilks-pump-millions-into-gop-primary-wars/

Also, [mention=143]atomheartbevo[/mention], a few pages back I had taken a look at the revenue streams that are publicly available and really it is going to be a bait and switch (which most of us knew already). It comes down to math and I just don't see how he can make the numbers work w/o pissing off his socioeconomic class because he would have to include them or the fees etc would make the fail larger than what happened to Kansas I wager.
Huffines radiates autocratic tendencies.

Radiates? For fuck’s sake, he checks every damned box.

Because he’s one of the biggest pussies ever to occupy the Governor’s Mansion.

This. I’ve never seen a person in such a position of leadership be so purely reactive. He has no plan….for anything. Just react, pander, repeat…..”Donald J Trump” 8,335 times…oh, and of course…cruise to re-election, because this f’n state.
  • Rage+1 3

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

oh, and of course…cruise to re-election, because this f’n state.

That's what makes it even more perplexing.  There is no way he loses.  None.  Yet he continues his prostration before the magat base.  Beto is gonna lose by like 10-15.  Because our state sucks.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Why the fuck is Abbott kowtowing to his batshit attacks then?

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Because he’s one of the biggest pussies ever to occupy the Governor’s Mansion.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. I’ve never seen a person in such a position of leadership be so purely reactive. He has no plan….for anything. Just react, pander, repeat…..”Donald J Trump” 8,335 times…oh, and of course…cruise to re-election, because this f’n state.

1. Afraid that if he doesn’t act Trumpist enough, he loses that endorsement and/or loses straw polls to DeSantis.

2. Slight fear that Huffines gets some traction and goes third party in the general

These days I think it’s all about DeSantis.  Huffines is almost a stalking horse for DeSantis.

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Abbott has no desire to finish his political career as governor of Texas. He'll suck dotard's cheeto in front of any MAGAt rally that will have him if he thinks it improves his chances as a candidate for veep or a cabinet spot.

Correct.  The only thing Abbott has is shameless ambition.   Try to imagine something he WOULDN'T do to attain higher office.  Yeah....you can't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But he knows his barbecue.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Abbott has no desire to finish his political career as governor of Texas. He'll suck dotard's cheeto in front of any MAGAt rally that will have him if he thinks it improves his chances as a candidate for veep or a cabinet spot.

If dotard stole another election he might appoint Hot Wheels to a cabinet position if the price was right, but no way he's choosing a crippled guy as his running mate.  Dotard would in no way go for those optics.

Abbott leading Beto 47-37

https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/blog/abbott-leads-o’rourke-47-37-projected-2022-gubernatorial-contest-amid-signs-fallout-87th

Abbott has 60% in the primary, Allen West with 15%, Huffines with 14%.

If Huffines truly believed what he says about Abbott destroying Texas, he'd run third party in the general.

• Hook 'Em 1

Both West and Huffines truly believe they can defeat Abbott in a run-off.  They just need to cobble him down to 50.0% and the real show begins.  I think Huffines is a notch ahead of West, but let's call it a statistical tie.  No idea where the rest of the clown car, maybe they all add up to 2% in toto?  Not sure, even at this late juncture, who they are all chipping away at---one another or Abbott himself.  

Anyway, if Abbott goes 50%+1, then no doubt---Huffines breaks off and runs third party.  If Abbott can't get over 50.0%, but it's West in second place...that's the real head scratcher.  Because Huffines would have to almost immediately launch his third party run while people still remember him.  What does that do to a Abbott/West runoff?  That's the one with lots of permutations.  

The final one of course is the one we all secretly want, an Abbott-Huffines runoff with the entire campaign dragging Texas straight into the fucking ground.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Both West and Huffines truly believe they can defeat Abbott in a run-off.  They just need to cobble him down to 50.0% and the real show begins.  I think Huffines is a notch ahead of West, but let's call it a statistical tie.  No idea where the rest of the clown car, maybe they all add up to 2% in toto?  Not sure, even at this late juncture, who they are all chipping away at---one another or Abbott himself.  

Anyway, if Abbott goes 50%+1, then no doubt---Huffines breaks off and runs third party.  If Abbott can't get over 50.0%, but it's West in second place...that's the real head scratcher.  Because Huffines would have to almost immediately launch his third party run while people still remember him.  What does that do to a Abbott/West runoff?  That's the one with lots of permutations.  

The final one of course is the one we all secretly want, an Abbott-Huffines runoff with the entire campaign dragging Texas straight into the fucking ground.  

I know a shitload of people talking about voting for Huffines.  Not a single one for West.  I’m pretty sure most of them don’t even know he exists. 

41 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know a shitload of people talking about voting for Huffines.  Not a single one for West.  I’m pretty sure most of them don’t even know he exists. 

Yeah, I can't find any West supporters, so I don't know how he's polling better than Huffines, even if it's just 1%.  Maybe he's got some kind of silent minority thing where his supporters are too embarrassed to acknowledge supporting him, but then you think about his tenure running the Republican Party in Texas, and it's like how does he get support after that?

I've seen a shit-ton of Huffines billboards, and have been seeing his signs around Austin in a few areas, and know they are up and down 35 and a few other highways.

11 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

So I should be voting in the Republican primary for Huffines’s crazy ass, right?

High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

I am, and I'm telling as many people as I know to do so.

Yes, this could backfire spectacularly and Texas could turn into the Republic of Gilead, but at least we are trying something.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I still don't think this is true, although this would be preferable.  I think the rubes get in line when push comes to shove.

Huffines has a pretty strong message that Abbott has spent 20 years campaigning on border security as AG and then Governor, and that Abbott is owned by the Chinese, supports CRT, sanctioned face mask mandates, supports vaccines, etc.

He's looking at the kind of Republicans that booed Trump publicly supporting vaccines and boosters.

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, I can't find any West supporters, so I don't know how he's polling better than Huffines, even if it's just 1%.

That makes me feel a lot better, that Huffines might not have shit for support in the grand scheme. Anecdotal af, but seems like a lot of Rs are energized behind Huffines.  Very likely they may just be the loudest. 

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

I still think Abbott would win, but Huffines going 3rd party would definitely make it interesting.

If Huffines goes 3rd party would West endorse him after losing to Abbott in the primary? Because that could get interesting. 

Ah who am I kidding, Abbott would still beat Beto by 5-6% even with Huffines in the race. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo

A “good” (read: consistently moderate, and basically right of center on guns and the border) Democratic candidate would have a chance to beat Abbott in a race with a 3rd party candidate like Huffines.  Beto is just not a viable candidate for governor of Texas, under any scenario.

Just being young(ish), eating at Whataburger, having been in a band, skateboarding, and speaking Spanish don’t mean shit once you say something stupid like “hell yes we are coming for your guns”.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

so a Republican?

I think Texans would vote for a white Christian male Dem who was left of center on shit like education, universal healthcare, infrastructure, gender equality, and taxing the wealthy.  But they’d HAVE to be practically a 2A nut and talk tough on the border.  So yes, a unicorn.  And even then, the unicorn would only have a chance if a 3rd party candidate siphoned off the Trumpers.

Edited by Snake Diggity

47 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That makes me feel a lot better, that Huffines might not have shit for support in the grand scheme. Anecdotal af, but seems like a lot of Rs are energized behind Huffines.  Very likely they may just be the loudest. 

Huffines definitely has the loudest supporters.

43 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If Huffines goes 3rd party would West endorse him after losing to Abbott in the primary? Because that could get interesting. 

West damn sure ain't going to endorse Abbott.  He hates Abbott's guts, and was trying to use the Texas Republican Party against Abbott over the COVID stuff, to the point where West was leading protests at the Governor's Mansion and Capitol.  I have a feeling that West's "ouster" as chair of the Texas Republican Party was in part due to Abbott's backers.

Would be awesome if West endorsed Huffines. I don't see West doing that any time soon, since he's technically even or ahead of Huffines.  But if Huffines went MAGA Party, West might very well do it.  He was humiliated with what happened last year.