Gas Line Coverage

This is scam/money grab, right?

"Note for CenterPoint Energy Customers

As a homeowner, you are responsible for the full cost of repairing the gas line in your home, including extension gas lines connected to appliances outside your home. Your property is currently not protected with coverage from HomeServe, who CenterPoint Energy has selected to offer this coverage to eligible customers.

The gas line in your home could break down, leaving you responsible for the cost of repairs. Repairs to this line can be expensive, costing you hundreds of dollars in unforeseen expenses.

Gas Line Coverage helps provide protection from time-consuming and expensive repairs. This optional coverage includes high-quality repairs to the gas line in your home."

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

The gas line in your home could break down, leaving you responsible for the cost of repairs. Repairs to this line can be expensive, costing you hundreds of dollars in unforeseen expenses.

I'm far from Surly 1% but savings me 100s in something that might occur once every 3 decades, doesn't worry me too much.

• Hook 'Em 1

You’re responsible for everything downstream of your meter. If they want $1/mo for coverage sign up. If they want $25/mo for coverage then shit in an envelope and send it back to them.

Actually you’re responsible for everything from the property line. However, most gas companies will be happy to work with you to get your service line repaired because if your house explodes, it’ll be the gas company’s “fault” in the media even though it is technically the homeowner’s responsibility.

3 hours ago, luke duke said:

You’re responsible for everything downstream of your meter. If they want $1/mo for coverage sign up. If they want $25/mo for coverage then shit in an envelope and send it back to them.

The Centerpoint plan is $5.49/month (they are offering it for $2.74/month for the first year right now).  I have been a home owner of more houses than I care to count since 1979.  I have never encountered a gas line repair. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The Centerpoint plan is $5.49/month (they are offering it for $2.74/month for the first year right now).  I have been a home owner of more houses than I care to count since 1979.  I have never encountered a gas line repair. 

You don’t need a repair unless it leaks. All urban service lines are leak surveyed annually. The gas company will fix any they find. The odds of you having to fix it yourself will be most likely you didn’t get it marked before digging and you broke it yourself.