Dead Fish Grill on Belton Lake?

DalTxHornFan

went there about 3 years ago when son was at Ft Hood.

It was fine.  Don't remember anything bad or spectacular.

Edit: asked wife your question and she said to remind y'all about lemon-blueberry martinis.

LOL.  yeah, the fruity drinks don't exactly do it for me...

Edited by slorch

I grew up in Belton.  Deadfish occupies the space of the old Frank's Lakeview Inn, a Belton institution (which isn't saying much).  Both iterations of the restaurant suffered from the same issue, I think-- the food doesn't matter if you have a nice view.  Similar to what happens at The Oasis here in Austin.  People will go just to sit out on the lake, so why put too much effort into what comes out of the kitchen.

I wouldn't make a special trip just to go to Deadfish.  Yes, the view can be pretty, but there's not much going for it beyond that, at least the last time I went.  If you have other reasons to be in the area, then, sure, swing by for a drink.

Now, if you want a reason just to visit Belton, Miller's Smokehouse is worth the drive every time. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, J-Mart said:

I grew up in Belton.  Deadfish occupies the space of the old Frank's Lakeview Inn, a Belton institution (which isn't saying much).  Both iterations of the restaurant suffered from the same issue, I think-- the food doesn't matter if you have a nice view.  Similar to what happens at The Oasis here in Austin.  People will go just to sit out on the lake, so why put too much effort into what comes out of the kitchen.

I wouldn't make a special trip just to go to Deadfish.  Yes, the view can be pretty, but there's not much going for it beyond that, at least the last time I went.  If you have other reasons to be in the area, then, sure, swing by for a drink.

Now, if you want a reason just to visit Belton, Miller's Smokehouse is worth the drive every time. 

100% agree. We've probably gone to Deadfish 4-6 times this summer alone after a lake day on the boat and its been meh each time. The food is not terrible but not worth coming in from Austin. We go because its on the way home, has room in the parking lot for the truck/boat and the view. Oh and some of their fruity drinks are pretty good after drinking beer all day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We went there late this afternoon.  Pleasant setting and it was pretty damn good.  Just like most places these days, they are understaffed, but the bartenders and servers were busting ass and the manager was very visible helping to keep things rolling.  Great view of the lake and good food.  Started with a green chili white queso with meat, served with warm chips as an appetizer along with our first drinks.  I did a fried catfish and shrimp platter -- very good.  She did shrimp and grits -- probably the best that either of us had ever tasted, and we've had that dish a lot at some very good places.

Way better than the Oasis food-wise (I know, that's a low barrier), but way less of a zoo and the same lake view setting.  We will go there again.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...