shit that dissappeared during the great rona supply chain clusterfuck

Hagbard Celine

On 9/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I will second the plastic straw deal.  I occasionally get a small frozen drink at Starbucks and sometimes they give me a paper straw which sucks ass.  It falls apart before you finish the drink. 

They switched to paper straws for environmental reasons but I’ve seen plastic start to pop back up and figured there was a paper straw shortage.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:40 AM, Mac8111 said:

The Gatorade shortage is for real

Haven’t seen it but wife said this today as well.

On 9/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, Skipper said:

Topo Chico has been somewhat hard to find in Dallas lately.

Got mine cut from my Drizly order today, first time that’s happened. They usually have one size or another of the original at the liquor store.

As someone who works in supply chain most of these issues are due to raw material shortages and subsequent prioritizations of said raw materials in making finished goods. They’re going to make the top sellers/movers first so anyone looking for less often purchased alternatives from someone like Coke or Kraft foods or whatever is going to be waiting. Shit even the CHEP pallets to ship it on are in short supply. 

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Farmer’ markets usually always have pickling cucumbers. We make batches of the refrigerator pickles. I think the cucumbers hold their texture better that way than true pickling.

Non-pickling cucumbers are terrible.  I realize the keep longer, but that wax....eeew.

All the olive bars are closed. Now they just have prepackaged olives in quantities too large for my needs. I used to have a hangup about olives and I got over it by sampling an olive from the olive bar whenever I went to the store. My regular grocer even had toothpicks set out and a sign saying you could go ahead and sample. But they also had smaller containers so when I bought olives for, say, going with Bloody Marys, that worked for me. Now they only come in large containers and I can’t sample anything anymore. So I’ve only purchased one package of olives since the start of the pandemic, I wound up throwing half of it away, and have stopped making Bloody Marys.

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

All the olive bars are closed. Now they just have prepackaged olives in quantities too large for my needs. I used to have a hangup about olives and I got over it by sampling an olive from the olive bar whenever I went to the store. My regular grocer even had toothpicks set out and a sign saying you could go ahead and sample. But they also had smaller containers so when I bought olives for, say, going with Bloody Marys, that worked for me. Now they only come in large containers and I can’t sample anything anymore. So I’ve only purchased one package of olives since the start of the pandemic, I wound up throwing half of it away, and have stopped making Bloody Marys.

I'm sure this thread is shocked that the guy from Ohio is pissed that Corona has removed his ability to get free samples. 

That's not a supply chain issue, it's a healthcare issue. While I guess in answer to the original question, someone could have technically answered "ICU Beds" I'm not sure that is really the spirit of the post in the Food and Travel forum. Sorry for freebie struggles. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Wife does the weekly grocery shopping.  She's pretty efficient; out the door and back in around an hour.  But every trip there she will report that something is missing that was on her list, or she has to substitute brands, quantities, sizes, whatever.  For example, Nutella.  We have a 10 and 8 year old, and they like sandwiches made of it.  But lately, it's either completely missing, or wife will come home with what I refer to as the sampler size (honestly, 2 oz or so) because it's all the store has and they limit how many you purchase, or a different brand completely, which the kids will mildly bitch about because it's not Nutella, but they eat it anyway (and it does taste inferior).

Another item is Wheaties.  That's frequently out as well.

Oh, another.  Flinstones vitamins.  Sometime last summer, they were no where to be found.  Wife ended up getting a 12 or 24 pack off of Amazon, so maybe that's something back in stock, but until we run out of our supply, yada.

Then again, the kids probably have been taking fradulent Flinstones vitamins made of asbestos and imported from China for a year now, so maybe we oughta investigate this.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Wife does the weekly grocery shopping.  She's pretty efficient; out the door and back in around an hour.  But every trip there she will report that something is missing that was on her list, or she has to substitute brands, quantities, sizes, whatever.  For example, Nutella.  We have a 10 and 8 year old, and they like sandwiches made of it.  But lately, it's either completely missing, or wife will come home with what I refer to as the sampler size (honestly, 2 oz or so) because it's all the store has and they limit how many you purchase, or a different brand completely, which the kids will mildly bitch about because it's not Nutella, but they eat it anyway (and it does taste inferior).

Here you go.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/nutella-hazelnut-spread-52-oz-portion-control-pack-case/125PCNUTELLA.html

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

4 hours ago, Patron said:

go big, or go home

https://www.amazon.com/Nutella-Handle-Convenient-Wide-Mouth-Container/dp/B07PN73CFK/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=nutella&qid=1631158588&sr=8-13

6.6 lb tub of nutella

71pWAfLx+XL._SL1500_.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

regular HEB still has the prepack olives but central market has their olive bar operating as in the old world.  not sure why the difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Whataburger near me apparently can't get the orange and white striped bags.  One visit they were using plain brown bags.  Now they have the orange stripes and text but still printed on a brown bag instead of white.  I'm really shook to my core.

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

The Whataburger near me apparently can't get the orange and white striped bags.  One visit they were using plain brown bags.  Now they have the orange stripes and text but still printed on a brown bag instead of white.  I'm really shook to my core.

Take heart.  We will rebuild.

56 minutes ago, WBT said:

That reminds me, I picked up pizza at a local place in Richardson a couple days ago.  They brought the pizzas out in red and green themed Christmas boxes.  I know we've ordered pizza from them over the past couple months and they never used holiday boxes.  Pretty sure they had ordered them but didn't get them in until ~Jan 15th.

Frito's hits close to home.  I have not eaten Frito's in awhile but the wife (no pics) sent me to store last night on the frozen streets of hell here in DFW to get Frito's for Chili.  Well WTF? they had every brand and type of chips except fritos.....What gives??

2 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

Frito's hits close to home.  I have not eaten Frito's in awhile but the wife (no pics) sent me to store last night on the frozen streets of hell here in DFW to get Frito's for Chili.  Well WTF? they had every brand and type of chips except fritos.....What gives??

People making pies

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2021 at 5:18 PM, Gil Bang said:

Fucking Costco food court eliminated the Chicken Caesar salads.  I don't waste calories on hotdogs and pizza...those are better spent on booze.  Salad was the only thing I could grab there. 

I appreciate and subscribe to the saving calories for booze theory, however all 3 are about equal in calories with the chicken Cesar having a substantially higher fat content.  The more you know.