Rental cars (or lack thereof)

tbone_

I had a contractor come in for some work last week. He was going to hit another job site before he flew back out and thought about changing his plane ticket to an airport closer to the second site. He checked on changing the rental car to one way and they were going to charge him $1500 extra due to their shortage of cars. He drove back to his original airport.

38 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Apparently a lot of rental car companies sold off cars to stay afloat in the beginning of Covid when nobody was traveling. Now that people are going places in droves they can’t get cars fast enough to replenish the fleet. 

Business and never planning for the long term - name a more iconic duo

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, tbone_ said:

0e40c765e1196f195a9984e5b1bf79f7.jpg

This was the scene when I landed at Hobby today. Second time in a row this has happened with National.

Anyone having better luck with other companies?

Same at Dulles and Miami within last month.  Enterprise and national both out.  Hertz had some but $$$.  Was still new though. 

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Apparently a lot of rental car companies sold off cars to stay afloat in the beginning of Covid when nobody was traveling. Now that people are going places in droves they can’t get cars fast enough to replenish the fleet. 

Rented at BWI in July.  Hertz, the gold standard of rentals, had a 30-45 minute wait for cars.  And this was for people who both reserved weeks ahead of time and/or were Gold members.  I was lucky - my car was ready in "only" 30 minutes.  I walked out into the garage and there were no cars anywhere.  They drove mine up, freshly washed and vented, and I was off.  It was clear that they were getting these things as they came in, rushed 'em to the wash area, and rushed 'em again to the customer.  And they weren't giving a crapola about what "class" of car it was.  Whatever came in, it's what you got (in my case I think I got a sedan).

And the other car companies were much worse - a few were simply closed with "no cars available" signs, even for people who had reservations.  Some people were waiting up to six hours after signing up for another company.  Pretty much resembled the Kabul evacuation.

This will change over the next few months, as demand goes down a bit (people staying home due to the covid wave) and replenishment of inventories.  I don't really blame the companies - sure we can scream about a "better business plan" - but it's easy to say that and make it actually relevant.  Just a bad situation.

1 hour ago, Apep said:

Replenishment of inventories? From where? The factories are shutting down production and some dealers are already looking at 90% decline in new car inventories.

No it's not going to be quick - never said it was.  But rental car companies had already put in a ton of preorders earlier in the summer and have gotten their inventories up compared to back then.  Demand will go down as the non-travel season ends now, so it'll be better.

The chip shortage is forecast to subside by late this year/first month or so of 2020, and since that's again not the tourist season, it'll get better.

Probably back to normal by next summer - if no other bullshit happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, tbone_ said:

This was the scene when I landed at Hobby today. Second time in a row this has happened with National.

You can start by wiping that fucking dumbass smile off your rosy fucking cheeks.  And you can give me a fucking automobile.  A fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick.  Four fucking wheels and a seat.  

Rented at BWI in July.  Hertz, the gold standard of rentals, had a 30-45 minute wait for cars.  And this was for people who both reserved weeks ahead of time and/or were Gold members.  I was lucky - my car was ready in "only" 30 minutes.  I walked out into the garage and there were no cars anywhere.  They drove mine up, freshly washed and vented, and I was off.  It was clear that they were getting these things as they came in, rushed 'em to the wash area, and rushed 'em again to the customer.  And they weren't giving a crapola about what "class" of car it was.  Whatever came in, it's what you got (in my case I think I got a sedan).

And the other car companies were much worse - a few were simply closed with "no cars available" signs, even for people who had reservations.  Some people were waiting up to six hours after signing up for another company.  Pretty much resembled the Kabul evacuation.

This will change over the next few months, as demand goes down a bit (people staying home due to the covid wave) and replenishment of inventories.  I don't really blame the companies - sure we can scream about a "better business plan" - but it's easy to say that and make it actually relevant.  Just a bad situation.

This is what was going on at Hobby. Took about an hour to get a car.

This is the narrative I’ve heard but what I can’t figure is who the heck bought all the cars from them?
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/4/2021 at 3:41 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Not a direct correlation, but when I was at Mt Ranier last month, there were 2 U-Haul box vand and a Lowes truck. I talked to 2 of them and they couldn't get rental cars.

I’ve had factory guys show up this year in U-Haul and Lowe’s trucks.  Only ride they could get.  Fly in, Uber over an pick it up.

Reservations don’t mean much.  More like a wishful request.  Make damn sure you have backup plans regardless of reservation or status with the renter. 

• Rage+1 1

We actually had two reservations fulfilled at RDU this weekend. My wife got one a few months ago and too good to be true pricing, then made me book a no cancellation fee backup through Costco. They honored her original reservation, then when we tried to cancel mine they claimed it had already been picked up because Avis Preferred had it pulled out front with my name early. Still working on that refund. CSB indeed!

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

We actually had two reservations fulfilled at RDU this weekend. My wife got one a few months ago and too good to be true pricing, then made me book a no cancellation fee backup through Costco. They honored her original reservation, then when we tried to cancel mine they claimed it had already been picked up because Avis Preferred had it pulled out front with my name early. Still working on that refund. CSB indeed!

We got a no cancellation price for a van and then had to cancel  and after some arguing they refunded the money. We got a van for $700 but due to covid hotspot in Florida and having an 8 month old we decided to cancel. I wouldn’t have even argued with them if not for the fact vans are going for $1,500 right now on their website. I told them they would lose money making me keep reservation and the fucking thing would sit in my driveway all week when I wasn’t doordashing and Ubering in it. 

The rental car companies are now buying used cars at auction to restock their fleets since they can’t get new cars. The last few cars I’ve had from Hertz have been disgusting stinky cars with >50k miles.

Yep. My wife got her car smashed this spring. First, it took almost 4 months to get back because of the parts shortage. Second, The rental from insurance was a shitty hail damaged dodge caravan with 60k miles.

You can start by wiping that fucking dumbass smile off your rosy fucking cheeks.  And you can give me a fucking automobile.  A fucking Datsun, a fucking Toyota, a fucking Mustang, a fucking Buick.  Four fucking wheels and a seat.  

Wish I could rep this twice. What a great fucking movie.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

God I love John Hughes. 

Rented a car at MIA two weeks ago.  The garage was full of cars.  On the way to Marathon (FL) blew a tire at midnight. Wife called roadside assistance but I had the tire changed and we were back on the road before she spoke to a representative.

Exchanged the car the next day at the Marathon airport.  They had one car being returned and we got it.  Otherwise they would have sent me to a local shop to get the tire changed.

Dropped the car off 10 days later.  Rental car garage was still full of cars.

Edited by Bullneck

17 hours ago, bluto said:

Sometimes, but not often, especially when factoring in bill shit delivery fees and hassle.

This. I looked at Turo for a Vegas rental, but either a $75-100 delivery fee to have the car at airport, or I have to Uber/Taxi to where the car is, then drop it at the end, then Uber/Taxi back, which was adding the same $75 and added inconvenience. 

I just got back from a National Parks tour last week.   Flew into Minneapolis and headed west.  Ended up in Portland, OR. 12 days later.  4,956 miles driven!

It was a one way rental with Alamo that I booked at the end of May.   $1,300 was the total for a Chevy Traverse that had 21,000 miles on it, which I didn't think was too bad considering the pandemic. If I had waited until June/July that price would have been at least doubled.  Booking early was the key for me. 

There were not a ton of cars in the garage when I picked it up, but didn't have an issue getting my SUV.

• Hook 'Em 1

Avis Preferred bro checking in. Have not had one issue with rentals this year. In fact, my issues are more with the ride shares of Uber and Lyft which has me renting more when I travel than usual. If you reserve a car at least 3 days out, you should 100% get a car at a reasonable price.

For work I travel to a different city every other week. Pre-covid I would rent a car maybe 50% of the time because if I'm working in a downtown area, parking and limited need for a vehicle made Uber cheaper and easier. When working in a suburb or further out, I would rent.

Covid-era, I've never seen longer waits for Ubers and it's definitely more costly. I've seen 30-45 minute waits, unreliable cancellations, etc. When trying to stay on a schedule, and for the cost and convenience, renting a car is actually way more reliable these days.

Last week Avis gave me a 2021 Lincoln Navigator with 350 miles on it. It's like a $90k car. I actually was nervous to drive it because my stupid Courtyard had people doing construction and forklifts and cranes in the parking lot and I'm sure the damage to this thing would be a nightmare. Funny how you get the free upgrades when you don't need them versus when traveling with your family. Sweet ride, though.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

On 9/4/2021 at 2:59 PM, tbone_ said:

Could be anecdotal, but I rent a car every week of the year through National.  I work/travel anywhere from Dallas, LAX (vacation), ATL,  SLC (for Ski trip), Dulles, Reagan, Sarasota and Ft. Myers...havent had any issues. I was in Charlottesville VA last week, no issues.  I typically reserve business trips a week to 10 days out, but vacation rentals months in advance.

As an aside, my ride-fly-logde set up is  National, Delta, Marriott. 95% of my travel miles, points etc...is with these 3.

Edited by jdhorn92

Could be anecdotal, but I rent a car every week of the year through National.  I work/travel anywhere from Dallas, LAX (vacation), ATL,  SLC (for Ski trip), Dulles, Reagan, Sarasota and Ft. Myers...havent had any issues. I was in Charlottesville VA last week, no issues.  I typically reserve business trips a week to 10 days out, but vacation rentals months in advance.

As an aside, my ride-fly-logde set up is  National, Delta, Marriott. 95% of my travel miles, points etc...is with these 3.

Crazy thing was when we brought the car back on Monday that same lot was completely full.
  • Hook 'Em 1