2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Texas baseball is playing in the CWS and you're tagging me in posts about a sport that doesn't play in half a year. Incredible. You need meds or something Derka. Get help. 

And yes, I still think Hepa will be an instant impact guy. 

We are in a rain delay dipshit, and I haven't tagged you in anything. You and camel started this stupid fucking fight with your presumptive, combative shit-talk towrds UTL and myself. Do not even begin to convince yourself that you ard somehow above the fray when you are the one who started this fire. 

And no shit you think he's an instant impact guy, you haven't stfu about it in weeks. Actually that's not true, the truth is that you crowed about him being an instant impact guy as if it were already factually done, and then your updates on Hepa mysteriously disappeared once you didn't have anything glowing to say about him or his prospects. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Damn, I thought something important had occurred in regards to the basketball team. All these posts and it's a silly argument about being optimistic about a recruit vs tempering expectations. Neither position is so extreme anyone should be up in arms about it. Whatever I guess...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

updates on Hepa mysteriously disappeared once you didn't have anything glowing to say about him or his prospects. 

I watched one game from the FIBA U18 tournament, so yeah I don't have many insights to give on how Hepa looked or played. The only game I watched Hepa was very good on the boards. I even indicated in that post I hadn't watched the first game Hepa played in. 

Thanks for acknowledging the obvious. 

The sad part about you is that you actually believe people "disappear" when something goes wrong or there's a perceived prediction that's wrong. I really don't give a shit. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Damn, I thought something important had occurred in regards to the basketball team. All these posts and it's a silly argument about being optimistic about a recruit vs tempering expectations. Neither position is so extreme anyone should be up in arms about it. Whatever I guess...

Nah, it was just Derka 

• Haha 1

Derka's a fucking idiot. I remember when he was hyping Myck Kobongo as the greatest recruit we ever had. I explained how J'Covan would still be a more effective player and Derka went ballistic like he's doing now, telling me that "J'Covan will be lucky to be Robin to Kabongo's Batman." As usual, Derka was wrong.

12 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Why do some people feel the need to "temper expectations" of others? If I am optimistic about a given player, what good is served telling me that he is likely to suck?

again, with this hyperbolic "he's going to suck" shit. either keep your arguments based on reality or keep them to yourself. and i already answered your question up the page, not that the answer isn't blatantly obvious. we're discussing an incoming player and what constitutes realistic expectations for him this season. it's completely standard talk for this time of year.

if someone comes here every day and reads the litany of posts proclaiming hepa to be a major part of our offense next year then they might be disappointed when it turns out that he still needs time to grow and wasn't this instant impact player he was proclaimed to be. as i said up the page, this is jarrett allen all over again. he was over hyped and made out to be something he wasn't, and by december people were shitting all over him for not being what he was supposed to be. 

Edited by Goo Punch

58 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

again, with this hyperbolic "he's going to suck" shit. either keep your arguments based on reality or keep them to yourself. and i already answered your question up the page, not that the answer isn't blatantly obvious. we're discussing an incoming player and what constitutes realistic expectations for him this season. it's completely standard talk for this time of year.

if someone comes here every day and reads the litany of posts proclaiming hepa to be a major part of our offense next year then they might be disappointed when it turns out that he still needs time to grow and wasn't this instant impact player he was proclaimed to be. as i said up the page, this is jarrett allen all over again. he was over hyped and made out to be something he wasn't, and by december people were shitting all over him for not being what he was supposed to be. 

The thing is, it's very rare for a freshman to come in and carry a team offensively. Offense is skill and experience, defense is often athleticism and effort. So I could be wrong, but I don't take either poster as saying he's going to carry the team offensively. However, it's possible he is a contributor, maybe even a major contributor. Who knows, none of it will matter if we don't improve offensive game planning. It's not like we've lacked offensive talent under Smart, just an identity and competent game plan. 

1 minute ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

The thing is, it's very rare for a freshman to come in and carry a team offensively. Offense is skill and experience, defense is often athleticism and effort. So I could be wrong, but I don't take either poster as saying he's going to carry the team offensively. However, it's possible he is a contributor, maybe even a major contributor. Who knows, none of it will matter if we don't improve offensive game planning. It's not like we've lacked offensive talent under Smart, just an identity and competent game plan. 

my beef was never with anyone who was optimistic about hepa, it was with those who were condescending and combative towards anyone who said that he would be a good player in due time, as opposed to right away.  

Edited by Goo Punch

"good", "impact", "due time', etc...   There's not really enough meat on those words to know if the parties arguing over them are really talking about any significant gap between their opinions.

I think a better question might be what does a combination of Hepa, Hamm, and Hayes need to average (points / rebounds per game) to get this team back to the NCAA tournament? 

I think a big key this year will be what we get from the SF / 3rd guard position.  Febres will get a long look.  Roach and Jones (assuming he makes it back for full fall duty) will be in that position a lot.  Will Liddell be competent to step in and provide some quality minutes if Febres is not the answer? 

I am curious who gets major minutes from the Long, Liddell, Ramey pool.  My guess is Long.  I'm thinking Liddell will get a few meaningful minutes early (prior to B-12 play) to spell Febres, and Long will like be played a lot early to see if he can fill in for both Coleman and Roach.  If Long can't fill at PG efficiently for Coleman, Ramey may get a look to see if he has better PG sense than a senior Roach.

We can least afford any injury at the Center position.  I suspect DO will rotate over to Center at times, which I'm not a huge fan of when we play any team with size.  It would be nice if Hayes comes in able to contribute more than Banks did.

And, I have no idea if/how/when Cunningham will come into the fold.  My guess is he's a redshirt. 

I am cautiously optimistic about next year... but, I'm not expecting a conference championship or a top-20 caliber season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

"good", "impact", "due time', etc...   There's not really enough meat on those words to know if the parties arguing over them are really talking about any significant gap between their opinions.

I think a better question might be what does a combination of Hepa, Hamm, and Hayes need to average (points / rebounds per game) to get this team back to the NCAA tournament? 

I think a big key this year will be what we get from the SF / 3rd guard position.  Febres will get a long look.  Roach and Jones (assuming he makes it back for full fall duty) will be in that position a lot.  Will Liddell be competent to step in and provide some quality minutes if Febres is not the answer? 

I am curious who gets major minutes from the Long, Liddell, Ramey pool.  My guess is Long.  I'm thinking Liddell will get a few meaningful minutes early (prior to B-12 play) to spell Febres, and Long will like be played a lot early to see if he can fill in for both Coleman and Roach.  If Long can't fill at PG efficiently for Coleman, Ramey may get a look to see if he has better PG sense than a senior Roach.

We can least afford any injury at the Center position.  I suspect DO will rotate over to Center at times, which I'm not a huge fan of when we play any team with size.  It would be nice if Hayes comes in able to contribute more than Banks did.

And, I have no idea if/how/when Cunningham will come into the fold.  My guess is he's a redshirt. 

I am cautiously optimistic about next year... but, I'm not expecting a conference championship or a top-20 caliber season.

Good analysis. I think that 3rd Guard/wing spot will be really interesting to monitor.  I agree with you that Febres will likely get the first crack, since  he has the best potential to be solid on O and D. Long seems to be a huge question mark.  He won't be great defensively and we'll need our perimeter D to be strong so we don't get Sims into too much foul trouble, but he has potential to be a dynamic shooter and creator on offense. I could see him being a better version of senior Javan Felix and manning the second unit.  How good Long is will probably determine if we try to make Roach the de facto backup pg (something I'm not in favor of. I want him off ball the whole year) or give Ramey a chance to grow into that role over the year. We've obviously had a lot of talk about Hepa, but IMO Ramey probably has the best chance to play significant minutes out of all the freshman.  However, if Long is an effective offensive weapon, Ramey probably wont' get much time.

Idk much about Liddell, but Pretend We're Football seemed to all agree that he can't shoot (even though I think Tim Preston really liked him and thought he could play this year), which will probably limit his minutes quite a bit. It will be hard for us to have 2 non-shooters (Liddell and Sims) plus a below-average shooter in DO on the floor at the same time and the 2 returning guys are likely to play a lot of minutes this year. Maybe Liddell can come in if Sims is out and we play small.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, uh, i'm glad he's lost the weight, but losing it *after* a totally underwhelming season in which he led our team in USG is mystifying/puzzling/too little too late. 

What does that even mean?

Seems like it would make sense for a guy to focus on getting into better shape specifically because he had an underwhelming season that tailed off towards the end. If he retired from basketball, maybe then it would be too little too late but it seems like he's trying to improve for next season.

1 hour ago, goatsaag said:

What does that even mean?

Seems like it would make sense for a guy to focus on getting into better shape specifically because he had an underwhelming season that tailed off towards the end. If he retired from basketball, maybe then it would be too little too late but it seems like he's trying to improve for next season.

What do you mean "what does this even mean"? What's not to get? It means that being in this kind of shape during this  would have been a helluva better. I=And in a season full of close losses it could have meant as much as Shaka not being on the hot seat this year. I mean, how do you have major d-1 fucking college basketball practice every day and find yourself out shape? Then the season ends and you get right for bikini season? The fuck? Getting fat while working out as much as he did is insane (hence my medication guess) to begin with. To have the season end *and then* get into shape? How?

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

What do you mean "what does this even mean"? What's not to get? It means that being in this kind of shape during this  would have been a helluva better. I=And in a season full of close losses it could have meant as much as Shaka not being on the hot seat this year. I mean, how do you have major d-1 fucking college basketball practice every day and find yourself out shape? Then the season ends and you get right for bikini season? The fuck? Getting fat while working out as much as he did is insane (hence my medication guess) to begin with. To have the season end *and then* get into shape? How?

Which is why he's getting into shape for next season... It's like he realizes that he needs to be in better shape because of how last season went and now he's trying to improve that weakness.

39 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I mean, how do you have major d-1 fucking college basketball practice every day and find yourself out shape? Then the season ends and you get right for bikini season? 

This probably happens much more than you think. Texas was reliant on Osetkowski last year and he had to play huge minutes. 

I'm sure the approach by the staff wasn't "let's run Osetkowski into the ground and get him in shape". I'm sure they were conservative with Osetkowski in practices. 

There was actually a long discussion on this years ago on JJ Reddick's podcast. Reddick said that he's often in better shape in the offseason because he actually practices/does more drills/stamina type stuff vs the season where they try to save legs. Yes I know that NBA and college teams approach things differently but I bet there's similar approaches. 

https://www.nba.com/clippers/clippers-dont-practice-often-save-energy

Edited by texasstrong12

6 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wonder if Derka's right about mediation being a possible source of the weight fluctuations. Dylan definitely gained weight during the season.

I think you're on to something here. I've seen a lot of clients stress eat while they're waiting to hear the other side's offer.

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Breaking-down-Texas-freshman-Kamaka-Hepa-from-FIBA-Americas-119206946/

Good article on Hepa. TL;DR: needs to get stronger; high effort and BBIQ; should be a good player off the bench, especially if he can find his shot.

it's super early, but he reminds me of the supporting cast guys we had on our FF team. never going to be stud or an all conference player, but a solid-good, winning player for a good team.

Febres and Coleman make all big12 academic team.  And let me add that this is good news and promising for next year's team before Derka shits all over this  by explaining how disappointing the incoming freshman will be and that Osetkowski's progress in the offseason is actually a bad thing and all Shaka's fault.

It's promising for the future because players in the program can get better and we have good character guys who do well in school and with Coleman in particular will be counted upon to be a leader on and off the court. 

Poking the dyspeptic bear is not always a smart move but what the hell, I'm indistinctly indistinguishable.  Just kidding Derka, although I did wish you have your own forum, so I could zip past the boring bitch fests that you seem to get involved in.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Febres and Coleman make all big12 academic team.  And let me add that this is good news and promising for next year's team before Derka shits all over this  by explaining how disappointing the incoming freshman will be and that Osetkowski's progress in the offseason is actually a bad thing and all Shaka's fault.

It's promising for the future because players in the program can get better and we have good character guys who do well in school and with Coleman in particular will be counted upon to be a leader on and off the court. 

Poking the dyspeptic bear is not always a smart move but what the hell, I'm indistinctly indistinguishable.  Just kidding Derka, although I did wish you have your own forum, so I could zip past the boring bitch fests that you seem to get involved in.

first off, way to start some shit with me out of nowhere when i have nothing to do with anything you're talking about; i'll definitely make sure oblige you as often as i can from now on.

second, youre a clown who couldn't even keep his same handle from shaggy, hopefully due to your embarrassment over supporting a coach who is killing our program 

third, your take that two of our players making the all academic team somehow means we're going to be good at basketball is retarded

fourth, and this is a crazy idea, if you really want to "avoid the bitch fests that i seem to get involved in" then maybe try not starting one you fucking idiot

Edited by Goo Punch

A. C'est la vie.

B. The first clause in your second point has no relevance.  Whether I am a clown or not, doesn't change the arguments put forth.  Your second clause in your second point is highly debatable.  Is Shaka killing the program?  I think not considering that he has a full roster with quality experience.  Killing a program is when players rebel against their coach and don't play hard for him.  In the three years of Shaka, I've seen the players play hard.

C. your third point is a mischaracterization of what I said.

D. Bitch fests are fine if they are entertaining. 

E. That was a penalty and Sweden got screwed.

6 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Only one true road game, and it's not until the end of January. 

Sets up very nicely. The other side of the coin is that 2019-20 will feature at least two true road games against high-major opponents in December, whereas we have none this year.

Still have to play Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan State, UCLA, and North Carolina.  Could be a brutal non-conf. schedule all told with Purdue, VCU, and Providence here in Austin.  

Better home slate than usual though (especially if you count that El Paso game as 'home', all UTEP kids are gonna get free tickets to pack the place).  

Still curious to me, in the last 2 full seasons, we'll have exactly one non-conference game versus a team from Texas.  I don't know why, but that's really really curious to me.  Considering every year before that for the 20+ seasons I followed UT hoops closely, we'd play at least 5-6 non-conference games versus Texas teams.  Odd.  Anyway, good slate next year.

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Still have to play Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan State, UCLA, and North Carolina.  Could be a brutal non-conf. schedule all told with Purdue, VCU, and Providence here in Austin.  

Arkansas is losing a lot from last year. I don't think Georgia will be too good, but it's our one true road game and we'll see what they look like under a new coach.

Michigan State, UCLA, and North Carolina will all be tough outs, of course, but we will only play two of those. Good thing about that tournament is that no matter what happens it's a major boost to our SOS.

Purdue is having to reload as well. Providence will be good, I'm sure, but I don't know any more than that. No idea on VCU.

Should be wins:

Eastern Illinois

ULL

Citadel

Radford

VCU (Lost Tillman so they should be pretty meh)

Grand Canyon

UT Arlington (Lost their 2 best players in Hervey and Neal) 

@ Georgia (Bad team that lost their best player in Maten)

Toss ups: 

Purdue (lost 3/4 of their best players in Edwards, Haas, and Mathias). Texas should win this at home. Purdue is in rebuild mode to a degree. 

Arkansas (lost 2 good players in Barford and Beard). They should still be a tournament caliber team on a neutral court. 

Providence (lost 3/4 of their best players in Cartwright, Bullock and Lindsay). Similar to Purdue. Good team last year but lost a lot and we get them at home. 

I just have to look at who we would play in the Las Vegas tournament but this is a really favorable schedule. 2/3 of the toughest games are at home against teams that are rebuilding. The other tough non-conference game is on a neutral court. 

Edited by texasstrong12

22 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I just have to look at who we would play in the Las Vegas tournament but this is a really favorable schedule.

UCLA, Michigan State, UNC. It doesn't matter whom we draw, those are going to be two incredibly tough matchups.

• Like 1

ugh. i've yet to see a shaka schedule that i like. we only play good teams in tournaments, never at home or in a home-and-home. and as has been mentioned, we don't play the local teams comprised full of kids who played texas hs basketball. we constantly used to host teams with local kids. not any more. yeah, we'll win most of these games, but i much the prefer the old days when we'd see sparty, nova, ucla, unc, etc all coming to austin and vice versa.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we only play good teams in tournaments, never at home or in a home-and-home. 

That's how most teams are going to schedule moving forward because of the RPI tier system. 

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/12/5/16739334/2018-ncaa-tournament-selection-criteria-changes-rpi-kenpom

"The selection committee will no longer use top 50, top 100, 200 and 201 and above as dividing categories. Instead, the new terminology will be quadrants 1, 2, 3 and 4. The decision is to get away from treating every team the same if the game was on the road, neutral or at home based on their power rating. Now the road/neutral games will matter more."

Edited by texasstrong12