South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

This story is weird. I have thoughts about this. Wanted to share to see what y’all thought.

Alex Murdaugh, who comes from a long line of influential South Carolina lawyers and prosecutors, called 911 and reported he was shot early Saturday afternoon on a road in Hampton County, according to a statement from South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) spokesperson Tommy Crosby. Murdaugh was taken to a hospital in Savannah, Georgia, where he was treated for a "superficial gunshot wound to the head," the statement said.

_________

According to SLED, Murdaugh called 911 and said he had arrived home on June 7 to find his wife, Margaret, and son Paul shot dead outside of their home in Islandton, a small community about an hour north of Hilton Head Island. Colleton County Sheriff's deputies determined both had suffered multiple gunshot wounds.
————

The killings brought renewed attention to Paul's involvement in a 2019 boating accident that claimed the life of a 19-year-old woman. When he was killed, Paul was facing charges of boating under the influence causing great bodily injury and causing death in connection to the accident, court records show. Paul had pleaded not guilty and court records show the charges were dropped after his death. 
The family has been prominent in the South Carolina legal community for decades: Over 87 consecutive years, three generations of Murdaughs -- including Alex's father, Randolph Murdaugh III -- held the office of Solicitor of the 14th Circuit, which covers Allendale, Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton and Jasper counties.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/05/us/alex-murdaugh-south-carolina-attorney-shot/index.html

I remember the story of the wife and son being shot.   Seemed likely it was someone connected to the girl killed in the boat accident in the first event, although never proved right?  

Wasn't the dad a DA at one point?  If so, suspect list could be quite long.   Even if not, a generationally rich southern lawyer may have some shady dealings from time to time and one got out of control.

• Hook 'Em 2

Could be.  It would take a solid set of balls to shoot yourself in the head and hop it just grazes you, and it would be easily tested for (I have to assume they tested him for gunpowder residue after his wife and son were killed as well).    I didn't follow the case at all so I haven't ready any speculation on that front.  Did he have a motive?

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I think the dad used the case as a reason to shoot his son and wife dead (multiple shots for both) and yet he is grazed on the side of the head? Like let's blame the dead girl's parents as a revenge motive? 

It’s a shame this is where I went also and my bullshit meter is normally good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Could be.  It would take a solid set of balls to shoot yourself in the head and hop it just grazes you, and it would be easily tested for (I have to assume they tested him for gunpowder residue after his wife and son were killed as well).    I didn't follow the case at all so I haven't ready any speculation on that front.  Did he have a motive?

Motive?  He was married.  There’s your motive.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The way I see it: Girl's parent's want revenge because quite clearly legal stuff won't go in their favor OR father decides to get rid of son ( See his tweets after the girl died) and mom who can't get over the fact that son is an asshole. The stuff about the accident where Paul is charged is bad regardless. 

So after calling 911 saying he was changing a tire and was shot in the head:

HAMPTON COUNTY, S.C. (WCSC) - Alex Murdaugh has released his first statement since he was shot along a rural road in Hampton County over the weekend.

In that statement, released through his attorney, Dick Harpootlian, Murdaugh said he plans to resign from his law firm and enter rehab:

The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret. I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders. I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.

Neither Murdaugh nor Harpootlian has responded to questions about the statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Don’t see it. You would have to be a serious psychopath to kill your own son. More likely the family of the girl who died on the boat.

So revenge from the girl's family? I just don't see it. 

Edited by Nicole44

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

The way I see it: Girl's parent's want revenge because quite clearly legal stuff won't go in their favor OR father decides to get rid of son ( See his tweets after the girl died) and mom who can't get over the fact that son is an asshole. The stuff about the accident where Paul is charged is bad regardless. 

10 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

So revenge from the girl's family? I just don't see it

Uhhh…ok?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

You are making zero sense here. Arguing it’s more likely a father killed his own son than the family of the girl who got killed by the son. You must be insane. 

Follow the money. Why would the dad lie about being "shot" in the head and now be in reab?

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I am following the Money. Are you on the dead girl family’s payroll to astroturf the net with your incredibly stupid takes?

Where are you following the money? I would be keenly interested. If you have stuff to contribute. Sorry for the fuck yourself stuff. 

27 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I am following the Money. Are you on the dead girl family’s payroll to astroturf the net with your incredibly stupid takes?

What money are you following?  I’m chasing something else . Oh and the whole no one would ever kill someone related to them bs? 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Bartlett_Whitaker

he’s a sociopath that his father won’t acknowledge. 

3 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Or a decent amount of money.  If you have a steady hand and pay attention to detail, understand human anatomy (where major arteries are, etc.) and are willing to travel, there's a small, but lucrative market of customers willing to pay you to shoot them and make it look like they were robbed/assaulted/almost murdered/etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Or a decent amount of money.  If you have a steady hand and pay attention to detail, understand human anatomy (where major arteries are, etc.) and are willing to travel, there's a small, but lucrative market of customers willing to pay you to shoot them and make it look like they were robbed/assaulted/almost murdered/etc.

You seem to know a lot about this.  

Suspicious Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Some

18 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Apparently,  it was a graze on his head. While he was changing a car tire. 

“The murders of my wife and son have caused an incredibly difficult time in my life. I have made a lot of decisions that I truly regret," according to the statement, provided by Amanda Loveday of NP Strategy, a public relations firm in Columbia, South Carolina.

"I’m resigning from my law firm and entering rehab after a long battle that has been exacerbated by these murders," the statement continued. "I am immensely sorry to everyone I’ve hurt including my family, friends and colleagues. I ask for prayers as I rehabilitate myself and my relationships.”

Edited by Nicole44
Nice save

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Best true crime saga out there right now. Every Spotify podcast on the Murdaughs is worth a lesson. 

Wow. Who cares who they are? 

https://www.facebook.com/WilcoSheriffsOffice/photos/a.242773599494738/1030838834021540/

Derrick Todd Lee killed a friend of mine. He's dead. Thank God. 

I think Alex was the shooter on his son and wife. It sounds like he was very separated from his wife and his son is a criminal shithead. Both giant headaches he probably wanted to get rid of. So the motive for as there. And nobody knows for for sure where he was at the time of their deaths. 

My guess is that Alex shot himself in an aborted suicide attempt. 

Paul, the son, was a piece of work. Imagine the worst drunk/fraternity idiot/rich kid at Texas and throw an exponent on it. He would have gotten any UT fraternity kicked off campus before graduation. Might have taken the Spurs or Cowboys down with him. Thank goodness he stayed in South Carolina. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think Alex was the shooter on his son and wife. It sounds like he was very separated from his wife and his son is a criminal shithead. Both giant headaches he probably wanted to get rid of. So the motive for as there. And nobody knows for for sure where he was at the time of their deaths. 

My guess is that Alex shot himself in an aborted suicide attempt. 

Paul, the son, was a piece of work. Imagine the worst drunk/fraternity idiot/rich kid at Texas and throw an exponent on it. He would have gotten any UT fraternity kicked off campus before graduation. Might have taken the Spurs or Cowboys down with him. Thank goodness he stayed in South Carolina. 

His tweets after her death were bizarre. Paul's. Read up about her accidental death and how his family responded.  Her familly didn't do this. 

Edited by Nicole44

Just now, Nicole44 said:

His tweets after her death were bizarre. Paul's. Read up about her accidental death and how his family responded. 

Oh it was a cover up from the jump. The Mindy Matney pod is something else. They have hours of dash cam footage immediately after the crash. Paul was trying to call his grandfather to fix things right away. I feel terrible for the victims. To lose your high school sweetheart because some asshole got drunk and wouldn’t let somebody else drive his boat is senseless. 

They drew Paul’s blood 4 hours (?) after the crash and it was in the .285 range. They had to strap him to a hospital bed. Meanwhile, Alex was visiting the hospital rooms of the victims trying to get them to change their stories. 

Interesting family history. The Murdaugh’s ran the the county’s district attorney office for about a 100 years. All the while operating the only successful business in the county, the Murdaugh Family Personal Injury Attorney Firm. They received some nice payouts. 13x the national average. Wal Mart bailed on building in the county because of liability exposure. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, woohorn said:
2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:
Don’t see it. You would have to be a serious psychopath to kill your own son. More likely the family of the girl who died on the boat.

When you son unexpectedly shows up while you are killing your wife, you don't have any choice.

Or hate to say it. Kid was a sociopath. 

Included in the allegations raised in these court documents:

– Ronald Klopp, a security officer at Beaufort Memorial Hospital, told investigators about behavior by Paul's father, Alex, and his grandfather, former Solicitor Randolph Murdaugh III, at the hospital.

Klopp testified that Randolph kept telling Paul to "keep his mouth shut," and noticed that Alex was trying to get into the rooms of the other survivors. Klopp said he overheard Alex on the phone say, "She's gone, don't worry about her."

– Elizabeth McAlhaney, a nurse for Connor Cook at BMH, told investigators that Alex Murdaugh attempted to go into other survivor's rooms, and attempted to speak with their family members, and was overheard telling Cook that "they were going to figure everything out."

McAlhaney also stated that Alex stopped Cook on the way to get a CT scan and spoke to him, and she also overhead Alex tell a SCDNR officer that Paul would not be making any statements because he was intoxicated.

– SCDNR officer Pritcher told Beach family attorneys that he was in the process of gathering information from Paul Murdaugh in the hospital when the two elder Murdaughs walked in and one of them informed him "Paul's not saying anything else," adding that they were Paul's lawyers and "you're talking to us now."

– According to law enforcement testimony, several members of both the SCDNR and the BCSO responding to the crash and handling the investigation had some type of connection with the Murdaugh family. One officer played golf with them, one visited their river house on more than one occasion, another's family had used them for legal representation, and one officer's wife once worked for them at a Hampton law firm.

– One officer with connections to the Murdaugh family was taken from a "lead" role in the investigation and placed in an "assisting" role, stated the Beach court documents.

– Attorneys questioned law enforcement as to why, at times, they didn't activate their body cameras, record audio statements, take photos during DNA collection, or give sobriety tests. 

The late Paul Murdaugh, center, in a Beaufort County Courthouse after he pleaded not guilty to felony boating under the influence charges.