South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

Just now, cabowabo said:

Son had caused a lot of shit with the boat crash that was tightening the noose around Alex.  Plus, son was probably going to go to prison which would tarnish the family legacy.  Him getting murdered by vigilantes puts him in a sympathetic light, he’s never convicted, and Alex and that gay red headed freak Buster can live happily ever after. 

Insane if true.  Not knowing any details, I figured the dad meant to kill his wife and the son stumbled in on the act and had to pay the ultimate price for what he saw. 

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Insane if true.  Not knowing any details, I figured the dad meant to kill his wife and the son stumbled in on the act and had to pay the ultimate price for what he saw. 

They were obstacles in his way to continue leading the life he was accustomed to. Granted, killing them was going to buy him a couple of years at most, but he wasn’t playing the long game here.  He was trying to get to next week, next month, next whatever.  He was trying to delay the inevitable (the discovery of his financial crimes) by whatever means necessary.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty good chance that dick of a kid treated his parents like he did everyone else. No accountability. Could have set Alex off. 
If you've never had the urge to shoot a teenager/college kid in the face at one time or another, then there's a 95% chance you most likely don't have kids that age and/or aren't a teacher. Can't imagine this ginger, rich entitled little shit who had already literally got away with murder at least once....

Doesn't mean he deserved it, but if ya know ya know.
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Watched most of the prosecutions close last night. They are so shit.

Yeah, that lead prosecutor is a terrible communicator -- too long, terrible framework to his close, and nothing valuable to help jury remember what he said.  

Thank God they can review the timeline, and listen and rewatch video/audio clips of Alex lying.  

35 minutes ago, George said:

Pretty good chance that dick of a kid treated his parents like he did everyone else. No accountability. Could have set Alex off. 

Yeah, I've wondered if Paul did something that really set off Alex and caused him to grab the shotgun and shoot Paul.  Once that happened, Alex had to then shoot Maggie in hopes of getting away with Murder.

This scenario would explain why two guns necessary if shotgun was out of shells after killing Paul -- next gun available was the AR.  

Alex was just treading water. Robbing Peter to pay Paul type of thing. He’d been stealing from clients for a decade. Could always manage to hide it and stay in front of it. Big ass Ponzi scheme (steal here and borrow here and take a $1M dollar credit from daddy.) When the murders happened Alex’s dad was on his deathbed. And died a few short days later. No more $1M dollar credit lines. Estate shifts to his mom who has dementia/Alzheimer’s as it progressed. The boating crash, due to Paul’s drunken behavior, and the fact that he received special treatment in the death of Mallory Beach coupled with Alex, his brother and his father’s actions on the scene of the crash caused a avalanche of critical media coverage of the family.

Paul then was charged with three felonies as a result and tagged along with Buster (for providing Paul with his ID) and Alex in the Beach civil suit. Alex’s stealing increased and he began to hide assets so they wouldn’t be caught up in the civil suit which was worth millions (at least 7 figures.) Paul is facing jail time, Maggie hires a forensic accountant to figure out why bills aren’t being paid, Alex is being sued and offering low amounts to settle and his LawFirm finally has caught onto his stealing the day Maggie and Paul were killed. In his mind, kill Paul and lawsuit goes away, lawfirm inquiry goes away (I’m a victim) civil suit will get settled and they won’t get to see my financials. A shit ass way to buy time but you are looking at a sociopath’s a very privileged one, way to cope

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Augustus said:

Can you imagine how easy it was to get away with shit like this in the days before OnStar and cell phones?  Holy shit.

Nah, not really. Before all that shit (and before the CSI effect), nobody had expectations to have that kind of info. People still got convicted all the time. We just all think differently now. In the before-times, you’d still have the addiction, the theft, the boat incident, the shaky alibi (they would’ve come to the conclusion that he wasn’t at his moms for an hour and a half), the use of his own guns and ammo, etc. In the terms of the prosecution, you still have means, motive, opportunity. Plus, the “it’s always the husband” line of thinking.

As I’ve said before, I haven’t followed this case, and I only started watching when he took the stand. I’m completely unbiased by all the background unlike some of y’all so I figured I’d share my thoughts from that perspective. Admittedly, maybe my opinion would be different if I were on the jury and heard every bit of testimony, but having watched most everything from the time he took the stand through the prosecutions close, I’m probably not able to say guilty. Do I think he did it? Yes, I do. Pretty darn confident in that. But do I have ANY doubts? Unfortunately, for those of y’all that really want to see him put away for life, I do. There is little to no direct evidence. The prosecution has not put on a strong case, and the investigation, autopsy, etc appear to have been subpar. Defense council has been far more compelling and effective. There is, in my opinion, a fair amount of room for doubt. 

26 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

@Nicole44

I'm going to light a candle for you when the jury goes to deliberation. I fear you aren't going to like the result.

It is what it is man. I’ve been following cases for years. Had true crime effect my personally and it’s no big thing. He’s still going to be in jail for a while on the financial stuff which is more than any Murdaugh ever got: I think the jury will find him guilty of murder but if he gets away with it life goes on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

It is what it is man. I’ve been following cases for years. Had true crime effect my personally and it’s no big thing. He’s still going to be in jail for a while on the financial stuff which is more than any Murdaugh ever got: I think the jury will find him guilty of murder but if he gets away with it life goes on. 

If I had to wager I'd bet they convict rather quickly.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

Holy shit.  So they could've shown that Maggie's phone was traveling down the road the exact same time as Alex's phone if they'd just extracted the data earlier, or turned off the location services?

How tf do you make that mistake?

Government employees.

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

True of False? At dentist office but heard a juror was kicked off (female) for discussing the case…can’t really follow along right now. 

Yes, it's true.  Removed because of conversations about case.

The juror offered her opinion about the evidence so far with an "outsider" and an alternate juror.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ballrific said:

If you've never had the urge to shoot a teenager/college kid in the face at one time or another, then there's a 95% chance you most likely don't have kids that age and/or aren't a teacher. Can't imagine this ginger, rich entitled little shit who had already literally got away with murder at least once....

Doesn't mean he deserved it, but if ya know ya know.

My teenagers are perfect, dote on their dad unconditionally, never complain when pushed too hard to do something, are never forgetful, etc.  Oh and they’re not ugly gingers that are murderous. 

30 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Government employees.

Small county South Carolina government employees. It always surprises me that people are surprised when DAs provide a shit product. ADAs make what, 1/4th or 1/5th of what an average private attorney makes?  They’re the antithesis of the cream of the crop. 

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Small county South Carolina government employees. It always surprises me that people are surprised when DAs provide a shit product. ADAs make what, 1/4th or 1/5th of what an average private attorney makes?  They’re the antithesis of the cream of the crop. 

yeah but cops are overpaid and have much better benefits than most public employees

I’ve been following this pretty hard for the last three weeks or so since I guess I “caught up” to it. Working from home and watching (listening) CourtTV today. I’ve got to give props to Nicole for keeping this thread pretty damn updated.
Now, I’m no attorney, but is the defense just tripping over their dicks right now, or are they just trying for a mistrial.
This guy (Griffin) sounds like the dude at the party that was asked a simple question by someone trying to be friendly because he’s the awkward dude, and he goes into a diatribe that nobody wants to hear because it doesn’t matter/make any sense?

The look on the defendant’s face is the basis for my question. I’ll hang up and listen.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I've wondered if Paul did something that really set off Alex and caused him to grab the shotgun and shoot Paul.  Once that happened, Alex had to then shoot Maggie in hopes of getting away with Murder.

This scenario would explain why two guns necessary if shotgun was out of shells after killing Paul -- next gun available was the AR.  

Yes, the prosecution laid out a scenario where Paul was or had been "a little detective" in finding his dad's pills.  Maggie and Paul were holding the dad somewhat to his word to get clean.  The comment about being a detective iirc was first used by Maggie's sister and later Alex referenced that comment.  So the prosecution said yesterday that Alex did not like having Paul start to be a person who was getting in the way of his opiod addiction.

I mean, misdemeanor prosecutors in shitty Texas counties make about 90k, plus they match 7% for retirement at a factor of 2.2x.

It’s not a ton, but it’s not 1/4 of what an AVERAGE criminal defense attorney pulls.

Also, some of the very best skilled trial attorneys I’ve ever seen work for the state.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I mean, misdemeanor prosecutors in shitty Texas counties make about 90k, plus they match 7% for retirement at a factor of 2.2x.

It’s not a ton, but it’s not 1/4 of what an AVERAGE criminal defense attorney pulls.

Also, some of the very best skilled trial attorneys I’ve ever seen work for the state.

I cannot imagine going to law school, making $90k per year (no bonus) and having a retirement match factoring into the lucrative nature of the compensation package I’m getting. I also cannot imagine private attorneys at the level of a primary trial attorney (not support) not making at least $360k in total compensation for the year. Good ones make well in excess of seven figures annually. 

Hard to imagine a guy born with a literal silver spoon in his mouth just blew up his life like that. He was making good money for the low country and it wasn’t enough so he had to steal at least $8.8 million that we know of…and that’s just what he was caught doing. Doesn’t factor in all the money his daddy gave him throughout the years. Paid for full ride to college and law school at SC and gets to work at his family firm with the Murdaugh name on it…given everything that goes along with his family owning the county for a century and this is where he’s at. What a miserable piece of shit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Yeah, he should rot in jail, but my guess he's out in 20. 

Well even if he’s not found guilty of double homicide..he will be spending some quality time in white collar prison…so there is that. The Murdaugh name has taken a huge hit and no matter how much money he will inherit when his Mama dies a huge chunk will be going to the victims of his financial schemes and crimes. I’m cynical for the most part but this is the most trouble a Murdaugh has ever been in and that might have to be enough for some people. His reputation is in the crapper

I think his brother that testified and went into detail (more than necessary) about how Alex crapped in his pants in his brother’s car when he was driving Alex to rehab in Atlanta after the murders/roadside fake fuckery. He was looking right at Alex and I think he was telling him, “I am done cleaning up your shit. Done cleaning up your messes.” The family may or may not think he’s guilty but I know they are there for show…for the family name. Same way they rallied around for and covered for Paul on the crash scene and later at the hospital after the boat homicide when Mallory Beach was still missing. Same way one of Alex’s brothers called up Stephen Smith’s mom after his death offering to pay for and help represent. They do this shit a lot. Now one of them has been caught worse than any of them ever have been and they are taking a hit with their reputations and businesses and so forth. Jmo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hard to imagine a guy born with a literal silver spoon in his mouth just blew up his life like that. He was making good money for the low country and it wasn’t enough so he had to steal at least $8.8 million that we know of…and that’s just what he was caught doing. Doesn’t factor in all the money his daddy gave him throughout the years. Paid for full ride to college and law school at SC and gets to work at his family firm with the Murdaugh name on it…given everything that goes along with his family owning the county for a century and this is where he’s at. What a miserable piece of shit. 

That's what happens when you're born on third base and think you hit a triple.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Rumors are that the kicked off juror was trying to tell everyone she thought he was innocent. Rumor also goes Dick Harpootlian (Harpo or Harpoon online) wasn’t happy about it. 

JMO but always figured they’d have a stealth juror or two for the defense. They never requested nor wanted a change of venue in a county where everyone on that pool knows a Murdaugh or a victim of his financial crimes or the attorneys and so forth. Have to figure he still has a lot of supporters in that county even with all that’s happened. 

some more from the intrepid young reporter Mandy (highly recommend her hugely popular podcasts on this subject) who helped to blow the financial crimes wide open:

Edited by Nicole44
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Have to figure he still has a lot of supporters in that county even with all that’s happened. 

I can't imagine anyone who would support this POS given they all probably know someone or know someone who knows someone who's been screwed by him.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I find it hard to believe they didn’t have any sort of camera system out there for security purposes. 

On the other hand, I find it easy to believe a lying, thieving, murderous, embezzeling drug addict would want any sort of camera system on his property for evidentiary reasons.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Listening to Court Tv…all the experts keep saying reasonable doubt…sketchy motive…circumstantial case. I understand direct evidence would be better obviously but circumstantial evidence (quite a bit of it) is enough for proving Alex did it imo. It’s almost like the experts are saying without direct evidence you should not try the case and that alone is enough for reasonable doubt even though…there is very little room if any for anyone else but Alex or someone Alex hired to do it to kill Maggie and Paul. 

My cousin-in-law and also a good friend from UT was on a jury in Houston recently (criminal case) and one juror kept hedging like, “Like DNA man…is that really real, man? I don’t know. I’m not sure. Man, DNA…I just can’t decide.” This shit went on for hours and to help the poor bloke out they went through each piece of evidence to a crazy extent. Hours after they are still stuck with this guy in the same place and this guy looks at the big bailiff who is bringing in food and asks him, “Man man is DNA real man?” Bailiff just laughs and smiles. A few minutes later guy finally accepts the defendant has been nailed by the State via DNA and votes with the rest. Lulz. 

1 minute ago, Homesickhorn said:

10 minutes?  Did I hear that correctly?

They deliberated for about 3 hours. But I am sure they had thoughts and opinions once the juror that was running around saying he was innocent…was kicked out..