South Carolina Attorney shot in head months after wife and son shot dead

Nicole44

On 3/5/2023 at 8:10 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

Assuming he was “clean” of any wrong doing he can probably move on and try to live a life out of the shadows.   I’d bet his Dad or someone in his family set him up with a good chunk of cash from anything like actual green backs being stashed somewhere to one of these complicated trust things to offshore or Swiss bank accounts.   It might not set him up for life, but he’s not going to be going to a welfare office for benefits.

If there's not at least one treasure map stashed in the hollow tree, then I'll start to feel the world slipping away.

Yes! It’s about fucking time! I knew when Buster put out that statement the other day that something legally was about to change on Stephen Smith. I don’t know if Buster and/or Paul were involved but I just want Justice for the Smith family. It’s been like 8 damn years. The Mallory Beach boat case has had such a massive ripple effect. Hopefully, Gloria Satterfield’s case will also bring some answers to her family. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yes! It’s about fucking time! I knew when Buster put out that statement the other day that something legally was about to change on Stephen Smith. I don’t know if Buster and/or Paul were involved but I just want Justice for the Smith family. It’s been like 8 damn years. The Mallory Beach boat case has had such a massive ripple effect. Hopefully, Gloria Satterfield’s case will also bring some answers to her family. 

I guess law enforcement felt it was safe now since the Murdaugh name is trash thanks to Alex’s  murder conviction.   Wonder if this would’ve moved at all if Alex walked?   He probably would’ve spent time for the financial crimes, but his influence could’ve still been a factor even from a Club Fed.  And the media spot light would’ve been a few segments on the cable news shows and American Greed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, Augustus said:

Are we 100% sure the plan was for cousin Eddie to kill him?

I'm wondering if the plan was just for Cousin Eddie to shoot "near" him to make it appear as if someone was trying to kill Alex, too, but the shooter screwed up and accidentally grazed his head.  

721F274C-0AB1-4D59-A3A4-F9986AEC9EA1.jpeg.21b78b92255daffd8aa0b335713f11cd.jpeg

25919328-BEFF-4711-A4B0-E1D08AB8F692.gif.024b0a613fc90ea88e8d12d2cc34542d.gif

A7735A22-6227-4EC2-BA1F-D886E478E713.jpeg.11a107c01db31a08baea771cc167706a.jpeg

DECCF4A9-BEBB-4202-92F1-087F9060A170.gif.9d9440d6695dc8f388ca04607df178bf.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some of the internet theories think it was Alex that killed Stephen and may have pulled him over with his “blue lights” that were installed on his vehicle that was allowed when he was a volunteer solicitor. It’s possible they found evidence on either Paul or Maggie’s phones? It seems more likely a group of younger people did this but I am definitely curious as to what the evidence they found concerning Stephen when they were investigating Alex for various crimes. 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Some of the internet theories think it was Alex that killed Stephen and may have pulled him over with his “blue lights” that were installed on his vehicle that was allowed when he was a volunteer solicitor. It’s possible they found evidence on either Paul or Maggie’s phones? It seems more likely a group of younger people did this but I am definitely curious as to what the evidence they found concerning Stephen when they were investigating Alex for various crimes. 

I believe Stephen's car was out of gas where it was discovered, was it not?

However, the first thing that went through my mind when you suggested that Alex "pulled him over" was that Stephen's wallet was sitting on the car seat, wasn't it?  Certainly makes sense he would've pulled out his wallet in preparation for showing his license if he got pulled over.  

And it certainly does not make sense that he would've left his wallet behind if he walked off to buy a container of gasoline somewhere.  

I doubt we'll ever have any idea what happened to Stephen, which is a tragedy.  Poor kid.  Found lying in the middle of a farm road where it's patently obvious that he was not struck by a vehicle in that spot, which means somebody moved his body, which means murder, or at the very least conspiracy after the fact.  The fact being that his skull managed to get crushed in.

Wouldn't surprise me if "they" siphoned the gas out of his car after the murder to make it appear as if he'd run out.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I believe Stephen's car was out of gas where it was discovered, was it not?

However, the first thing that went through my mind when you suggested that Alex "pulled him over" was that Stephen's wallet was sitting on the car seat, wasn't it?  Certainly makes sense he would've pulled out his wallet in preparation for showing his license if he got pulled over.  

And it certainly does not make sense that he would've left his wallet behind if he walked off to buy a container of gasoline somewhere.  

I doubt we'll ever have any idea what happened to Stephen, which is a tragedy.  Poor kid.  Found lying in the middle of a farm road where it's patently obvious that he was not struck by a vehicle in that spot, which means somebody moved his body, which means murder, or at the very least conspiracy after the fact.  The fact being that his skull managed to get crushed in.

Wouldn't surprise me if "they" siphoned the gas out of his car after the murder to make it appear as if he'd run out.

I do believe all the rumors that Buster and Stephen were close…perhaps romantically. Paul was about 14 at that time and I think Buster was 17 or so. I do think Alex’s car with the blue lights was used to pull him over or they (group) siphoned off gas from his car. It’s possible that Stephen was going to let everyone know he was seeing Buster (something the Murdaugh family would not have been OK with at all—Buster was supposedly the “better” son of the two and their big hope for a legal career—Paul had already drug and alcohol issues and ADHD and was anger issues as well.) it’s possible Stephen was forced into the car and or even beaten near his car and his body was dumped where it was found. It’s likely too late for any type of phone data…I’d think or GPS stuff…but I am awfully curious about what evidence SLED claims to have uncovered that allowed them to “reopen” the case. Hopefully, if anyone else other than the Murdaugh family was involved that they would at least talk? If the Murdaughs were involved it’s bc they were protecting their reputation in their minds. Can’t have Buster being thought of as gay? It seems like such a shit motive but damn after following this family the past few years and the stuff they have already done murder is just I guess part of their wheel house of problem solving? 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I do believe all the rumors that Buster and Stephen were close…perhaps romantically. Paul was about 14 at that time and I think Buster was 17 or so. I do think Alex’s car with the blue lights was used to pull him over or they (group) siphoned off gas from his car. It’s possible that Stephen was going to let everyone know he was seeing Buster (something the Murdaugh family would not have been OK with at all—Buster was supposedly the “better” son of the two and their big hope for a legal career—Paul had already drug and alcohol issues and ADHD and was anger issues as well.) it’s possible Stephen was forced into the car and or even beaten near his car and his body was dumped where it was found. It’s likely too late for any type of phone data…I’d think or GPS stuff…but I am awfully curious about what evidence SLED claims to have uncovered that allowed them to “reopen” the case. Hopefully, if anyone else other than the Murdaugh family was involved that they would at least talk? If the Murdaughs were involved it’s bc they were protecting their reputation in their minds. Can’t have Buster being thought of as gay? It seems like such a shit motive but damn after following this family the past few years and the stuff they have already done murder is just I guess part of their wheel house of problem solving? 

And of course, if Buster was the one they had hope for the future, regarding joining the family firm, carrying on that tradition, etc, the idiot gets himself kicked out of law school at SCar for plagiarism.  

I've no idea who or what he plagiarized, nor what kind of assignment it was, but what a dumbass way to torpedo your law school education and potentially your career.

I suppose it's possible he really didn't want that life for himself so he unconsciously undermined it himself, but it's probably more likely that he's just a lazy, entitled shit who figured he could cheat his way through life.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 1

Someone in one of my online book clubs went to the Murdaugh auction a couple of days ago.

Thought y’all would get a kick out of these

845df06872ca2f999651e0cdc09d593d.jpg
e12bbbdf451dc49c221978a272ca6d91.jpg
a1c9bef7e8b2cb26d25dd7acfc5dd64a.jpg
86fd7a2fa4748aaa6d52b4bef767006e.jpg
8406c0a237dfbcbd7ad29654c076cd4a.jpg
b8d9a047778d3e60411c729acf9ae8a0.jpg
4e9581323f8422bb34555c7616350807.jpg
ff03efc5021ba292e4869b8a977d1866.jpg
cc327767c367e826e7962c7b4fe22d26.jpg
3158d13ec24fa93705642cd916bae51c.jpg
97eabc649552bdae78815a5dcce5b69e.jpg
1d1b7c1236f4b87ed11bcf13fd1f72c4.jpg
4ef03ea0b483fccba2740eb9736bb8d2.jpg
1bebd3816ebf952d119cf4f4a685d454.jpg

As someone who was a bride in the 90s, all the Arthur Court pewter serving pieces gave me a chuckle.

The turtle shell lamps are gross - and why so many????

The camo jacket with Alex on the tag is creepy.

Lots of U of SC stuff and a panoply of weapons - SEC! SEC! SEC!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Mighty fine said:

Looks like judge ruled against the motion for new trial

Judge found clerk not credible, but that petitioners did not meet 2nd criteria for a new trial.

Judge said in her opinion the jury was not influenced by court clerk in their decision to find Murdaugh guilty.

Murdaugh attys happy that Judge agreed that court clerk was not credible... they point out that law is cloudy/unsettled on whether a new trial is warranted based on that.   Has to have a higher court to make that legal decision, and they believe it's reasonable for a higher court to award a new trial.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Would be amazing if she screwed it up for a retrial. 6 weeks and tons of money down the drain. Would they even bother? He will be in jail forever either way

I saw the defense lawyers talking to the press and it sounded like they may have a theory on who the real killer is?
Did anyone catch that?

15 hours ago, Updawg said:

I saw the defense lawyers talking to the press and it sounded like they may have a theory on who the real killer is?
Did anyone catch that?

Yeah I saw that -- just seemed like lawyer puffery commentary.  Defense efforts seem like Murdaugh just wants this to keep going for attention and his ego. 

Murdaugh had a weird smirky look on his face when the judge denied a new trial... 

Screenshot_2024-01-30-08-52-06_kindlephoto-53146054.png.ee2a2846712f0fee35fcff8c1944ad76.png

• 1 month later...