“Come and take it” deemed anti-Mexican

TonyTexas

What’s next? Remember the Alamo?

UTSA no longer using 'Come and Take It' phrase at football games after online backlash

UTSA students cheer on their football team against Northeastern State at the Alamodome on Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011. UTSA defeated Northeastern State, 31-3. A total of 56,743 fans turned out for the game. 

University of Texas at San Antonio President Taylor Eighmy said in an email sent to faculty, staff, students and alumni on Tuesday that the football team and athletics department will no longer take part in traditions associated with the "Come and Take It" slogan beginning immediately.

This means the traditional unfurling of the enormous "Come and Take It" flag across the student section before the start of the fourth quarter of home football games will no longer take place.

According to the email, the football team adopted the historic "Come and Take It" phrase during the 2011 season as a source of inspiration, and the unfurling of the flag began at games in 2016. Eighmy now says the traditions associated with the slogan have become a "distraction" from the school's mission.

Eighmy said the university also plans to remove the phrase from school websites and buildings but did not provide a timetable.

The school received backlash online after opening its new Roadrunner Athletics Center of Excellence building that greets visitors with a large "Come and Take It" sign. A former UTSA professor created the petition to urge the university to take down the sign and to end the use of the slogan because it is "offensive" and "anti-Mexican." 

• Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It was anti-Mexican first (kinda the whole fucking point), then it became a prop for white supremacists, and now it's back to being anti-Mexican. time IS a flat circle.

Lol I was gonna say that too... Texans flew that flag to tell the Mexicans to go fuck themselves - of fucking course it's anti-Mexican! It doesn't really make a shit why UTSA is choosing to change their usage of it if it doesn't further their mission.

...Unless you're some MUH HERITAGE chud

What's the source for your text, OP? I still disagree with the decision but what I read was that it was made because of CATI's being coopted by white supremacist and insurrectionist groups. 

And the absurdity of saying that it has been "deemed" anti-Mexican when as others have noted anti-Mexicanism  was the entire point of the slogan is mesmerizing. What's next? Will we later come to learn that Don't Tread On Me is anti-English?

• Hook 'Em 3

As someone who voted for the existence of that football program and was there for every game during the first couple years, I find it hilarious that people are trying to call the CATI flag a tradition. The program has only existed for ten fucking years and that flag wasn’t a thing at the beginning.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Thanks

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Close. There has been an EEOC complaint because the original Gadsden flag, which originated the phrase, was designed by a slaveholder. 

So a citizen filed a complaint with a government agency and that means what exactly? We could probably have a funny thread with all of those, but I'm not sure what the relevance would be.

Since 2016, UTSA home football games have featured a fourth quarter unfurling of an enormous Come and Take It flag across the student section, accompanied by the firing of a cannon. The last time this was used was during the 2019 season. It was not used during the entire 2020 season because of COVID-19 protocols that I had implemented.

Like I said, was never a tradition. The hand wringing over the decision to stop doing it is beyond stupid. Why don’t we try coming up with something that’s actually unique to the university and the city it represents. 

34 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

What bullshit.  There were loads of Texicans of Mexican descent that were opposed to the tyrannical dictatorship of Santa Anna.  Some died at the Alamo.  Some at Goliad.  Thankfully, not many at San Jacinto.

Come and take it, Indeed!

Counterpoint: They deemed Santa Anna a tyrant, in part, because Mexico outlawed slavery in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It was a flag flown by a group of immigrants who had been welcomed to settle in another country that then started to get a little nervous because the immigrants didn't look or act just like them and decided to get all oppressive. If anything removing the flag is anti-immigrant and racist.

Yea I think you’re missing some context 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Like I said, was never a tradition. The hand wringing over the decision to stop doing it is beyond stupid. Why don’t we try coming up with something that’s actually unique to the university and the city it represents. 

What a preposterous take. This is a purely San Antonio and by extension UTSA tradition.

The phrase's first documented use was by Spartan King Leocadio El Primero, a native San Antonian, at the Battle of Thermopylae (just east of Fort Sam Houston). But the major use referenced here is of course from the Battle of Gonzales; pay no attention to the fact that Gonzales, TX is actually twice as close to rival Texas State as it is to UTSA.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I didn’t know UTSA chanted anything. I forget they even have a team

They shouldn't have a Division 1 (or whatever its called now) team. I mean, come on, do we not have any standards?

46 minutes ago, Bojack said:

What's up with the skull stickers on all the right wing trucks?  Sometimes they're Punisher skulls, sometimes just regular skulls.  They're often painted like American flags.  What is that?  

small penis syndrome

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It was anti-Mexican first (kinda the whole fucking point), then it became a prop for white supremacists, and now it's back to being anti-Mexican. time IS a flat circle.

Exactly what I was going post in probably five times as many words. Excellent!

This argument is akin to how Rebel Flag Wavers want to argue that the Civil War wasn't about slavery so the flag isn't in any way about post bellum racism.

Edited by RomaVicta

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

What's the source for your text, OP? I still disagree with the decision but what I read was that it was made because of CATI's being coopted by white supremacist and insurrectionist groups. 

And the absurdity of saying that it has been "deemed" anti-Mexican when as others have noted anti-Mexicanism  was the entire point of the slogan is mesmerizing. What's next? Will we later come to learn that Don't Tread On Me is anti-English?

And the Mexico that it's against is the state, not the people, and the state and people at that time, at least the objects of Texans' ire, had more in common with Spain than modern Mexico.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guys flying the swastika are clearly wishing spirtual good fortune for everybody.

Wiki

The swastika symbol, 卐 (right-facing or clockwise) or 卍 (left-facing, counterclockwise, or sauwastika), is an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.[1][2][3]

In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s[4] when the right-facing tilted form became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of the Aryan race. As a result of World War II and the Holocaust, many people in the West still strongly associate it with Nazism and antisemitism.[5][6]

We should start flying these at Texas games as a show of goodwill towards all mankind!

spacer.png

Doing your own research and getting a firm grasp of history will set you freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I didn’t know UTSA chanted anything. I forget they even have a team

24 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

They shouldn't have a Division 1 (or whatever its called now) team. I mean, come on, do we not have any standards?

small penis syndrome

Did you fuckers not see UTSA beat Illinois last Saturday? Team is on the rise big time. Doing it with a fuckton of local SA and south Texas players too. RB McCormick is going to be a high draft pick. Get with the program. 

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Guys flying the swastika are clearly wishing spirtual good fortune for everybody.

Wiki

We should start flying these at Texas games as a show of goodwill towards all mankind!

spacer.png

Doing your own research and getting a firm grasp of history will set you freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

But you see, the baddies has theirs at a 45 degree angle... wait, 45.....

Surprise Reaction GIF by OceanX

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Did you fuckers not see UTSA beat Illinois last Saturday? Team is on the rise big time. Doing it with a fuckton of local SA and south Texas players too. RB McCormick is going to be a high draft pick. Get with the program. 

I did not. Good for them.

But, got to close the rolls at some point.

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Multiple players in the NFL including a 1st round draft pick. They’ve also been to two bowl games in ten years

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

What's up with the skull stickers on all the right wing trucks?  Sometimes they're Punisher skulls, sometimes just regular skulls.  They're often painted like American flags.  What is that?  

The Punisher begins his life as a vigilante after he loses his family to organised crime, then any chance for justice because of the corruption of the NYPD. Conway and artist Ross Andru originally envisioned the character with a small skull-and-crossbones symbol over his heart for his 1974 debut, but Marvel’s art director, John Romita, had the idea to cover the character’s entire torso with a skull symbol.

Then in 2012, Iraq veteran Chris Kyle published his memoir American Sniper, in which he distorted his war record and bragged about spray-painting the Punisher logo on his unit’s equipment during the 2004 battle of Fallujah. Kyle’s machismo and tall tales about shooting “looters” during Hurricane Katrina made him a hero to the far right. When his book was adapted for film in 2014, the Punisher skull gained increased currency among police unions, gun-loving militiamen, and neo-Nazis. Marvel, who did not respond to requests for comment, told Gizmodo last week that it was “taking seriously” unlicensed use of Punisher imagery while its notoriously litigious parent company Disney has not made any legal challenges.

[snip]

Conway particularly hates seeing his creation repurposed by the police: “I think the way cops use it is extrajudicial: they are cops, and they are going to punish you. And the Punisher is an outlaw. He’s a symbol of the failure of the justice system to treat everyone equally … About three years ago when it started to show up on police cars and on challenge coins that cops were using, I was really disturbed, because it was such a fundamental misunderstanding of what the character was and was supposed to represent. In that sense, he’s been completely defiled.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jun/11/how-do-you-stop-the-far-right-using-the-punisher-skull-make-it-a-black-lives-matter-symbol

Spoiler

Also:

But, as Black Lives Matter protests around the world draw attention to institutionalised racism, Gerry Conway, the Punisher’s politically progressive co-creator and writer, is launching an unusual fundraiser: his own line of shirts designed by people of colour to take the symbol back from the right, with proceeds to go to Black Lives Matter.

“[The skull] should be a symbol for Black Lives Matter,” Conway says. “It should be a symbol for people on the outside of the justice system. I want the movement to claim this symbol for themselves.”

3600.jpg?width=300&quality=45&auto=forma

• Hook 'Em 4