Suggestions on making $100 billion.

Somnio

I want to be rich.  Not just BMW 5 series rich, living in Westlake rich, but Elon Musk/Bill Gates rich.

Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible at this point.  I thought saving $100k/yr. was pretty good, but I just did the math.

At this rate it would take me a million years before I had saved $100 billion. 

Barring some unexpected life extension technology I doubt I have a million years left.

So, how did these guys aquire such vast sums of money?  How can I join the $100 billion club?

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I want to be rich.  Not just BMW 5 series rich, living in Westlake rich, but Elon Musk/Bill Gates rich.

Unfortunately, it seems almost impossible at this point.  I thought saving $100k/yr. was pretty good, but I just did the math.

Barring some unexpected life extension technology I doubt I have a million years left.

So, how did these guys aquire such vast sums of money?  How can I join the $100 billion club?

If you just shoot for a billion instead of a 100 billion, it will only take 10,000 years.

Also, those guys don't have 100 billion dollars. They really don't even have much of an income. They have stocks and shit that are valued at 100 billion. If they need cash for next week's hooker and blow Caribbean pool party, they take out a loan against that collateral. (which is why they also don't pay taxes, but that is another thread).

On 9/10/2021 at 2:21 PM, Somnio said:

Both Musk and Gates were key players of some sort in a new technology.  Find a new technology and become a key player. 

Walking around campus in 1981-3 there were students carrying around big stacks for FORTRAN punch cards.  I think about how my life would have been different if I'd changed my major to computer science back then.  

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

This is kind of what I mean.  If plastics and plastic technology is exploding, get into that business.  Frankly, I'd figure out how to decarbonize the atmosphere since that's kind of a big deal right now.

Too much of a free-rider problem.

Figure out how to retrofit homes so that they’ll be ok 100 feet under water. Or at -100 degrees. Or +200 degrees. And guess which one correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

This is kind of what I mean.  If plastics and plastic technology is exploding, get into that business.  Frankly, I'd figure out how to decarbonize the atmosphere since that's kind of a big deal right now.

Yeah, but nobody is going to pay you to do that.  The easiest way to make money is to create the wildest, most unbelievable lie and tell the American voter that if they send you money you'll save them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 5:16 PM, Bullneck said:

Both Musk and Gates were key players of some sort in a new technology.  Find a new technology and become a key player. 

Walking around campus in 1981-3 there were students carrying around big stacks for FORTRAN punch cards.  I think about how my life would have been different if I'd changed my major to computer science back then.  

I can verify that this was the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Open an online retail store that sells only books. Overtime, expand your product line to more than books. Offer to have others sell their items and get a commission on those sales. If someone has a really good product, copy it, slap your name on it then ban that person/entity from selling on your store. Soon you'll need your own warehouses and planes and delivery trucks and stuff, too. Then you can buy rockets and go into space.

• Hook 'Em 1