Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Everybody hating on this, think of it this way:  This is a pretty nice middle finger to Baylor.  And TCU.

But really, Baylor. 

Fuck all of them. Especially after the fits they threw. 

The only way this makes sense is if the numbers mentioned are wrong and we replace the future SEC opponents we had scheduled with them so:

22/23 they replace Bama

28/29 they replace Georgia

30/31 they replace Florida

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I went to Lubbock for grad school. There's nothing they love more than knowing that this still upsets us. The highlight of their entire program's history is that they beat us 13 years ago before coming in third in the division and losing the Cotton Bowl. They've gone 2-10 against us since then. 

You shouldn't look at it with anger. You should look at it with pity. 

All of this 

25 games.

That's how many times Tech and Texas have faced off against one another in the history of the Big XII football.

the 25 game series doesn't make sense though...  did they roll some Dungeons and Dragons dice in a series to come up with 25?

Edited by slorch

If this is really a 20+ year agreement…yeah that is pretty weird and does seem to reek of politics. That said, if half our schedule consists of OU, Arky, Tech, Ag, and, say, Rice every year…well at least there is a nice SWC nostalgia element to it (I know OU wasn’t in the SWC but we still played them every year back then). If, like me, you’re old enough for that sort of thing. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Fuck all of them. Especially after the fits they threw. 

The only way this makes sense is if the numbers mentioned are wrong and we replace the future SEC opponents we had scheduled with them so:

22/23 they replace Bama
28/29 they replace Georgia
30/31 they replace Florida

Exactly this. FUCK ALL OF THEM. Let’s do the same deal with Rice. At least they aren’t a bunch tortilla throwing retards.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

You guys bitching about this realize that the only team we’ve lost to less in the big 12 the last 20 years in Kansas, right? 

Tech ain’t shit. 

If the next 25 years go like the last 25 years Texas goes 19-6 in those games. 

Well yeah, we're 15-3 in the last 18 against them, including fucking up some hack named Mahomes. 

It's not about a probable win.  It's about dealing with the bullshittery. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ldogg53 said:

In 2 years Tech will be going to the P12 and this agreement will be torn up. 

Or at least having this game on the schedule will be one game for them that draws a lot of viewers for Tech, so this may be a charity move that helps them with tv viewership perspectives and ultimately aid them in finding a decent landing spot in the PAC

Once we and ou leave, the divide in talent will get even larger between the two teams. My thinking is that this may very well be us doing things to lower our buyout numbers with agreements. Wouldnt surprise me to see OU and Okie State do something similar. It could be worse, this could have been Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

You guys bitching about this realize that the only team we’ve lost to less in the big 12 the last 20 years in Kansas, right? 

Tech ain’t shit. 

If the next 25 years go like the last 25 years Texas goes 19-6 in those games. 

Nobody is scared to play tech.  The SEC is considering going to 10 conference games, this would mean tech would be our only real OOC game since the other one would have to be a bodybag game every year to make sure we got 6 home games.

That means no more playing Rice in Houston or traveling to fun OOC games like USC, UCLA, Cal, ND, Michigan, Ohio St.

That’s why this is a dumb idea.  I wouldn’t mind rotating tech in as an OOC game occasionally but signing up for an annual 20-25 year deal is dumb.

• Hook 'Em 6

Hopefully this is Tech's payoff to let us out peacefully in 2022.

This is all there is to it. I don’t love it but it’s not going to stop Texas from scheduling big OOC games in the future, and there are going to be holes to fill on short notice from the Georgia, Florida, and possibly Bama series.

It could always be worse. It could’ve been Baylor.

7 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Once we and ou leave, the divide in talent will get even larger between the two teams. My thinking is that this may very well be us doing things to lower our buyout numbers with agreements. Wouldnt surprise me to see OU and Okie State do something similar. It could be worse, this could have been Baylor.

“While Oklahoma’s president wants the rivalry game to continue, Oklahoma State’s president is much less certain.”

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/oklahoma-oklahoma-state-bedlam-doubt

OU offered weeks ago, but despite possibly going back to 8 conference games OSU doesn’t want to play more than a single OOC with a pulse each year so they’re saying no.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/oklahoma-state/

I don't mind it. I don't love limiting our options but I'd much prefer Tech to other UT system schools or Rice. I bet OU does the same thing with oSu. That goes a long way to smooth over our exit. I don't have massive love for either school but I do feel bad that we left them in a sense. I think Texas only benefits from having strong state schools. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I don't mind it. I don't love limiting our options but I'd much prefer Tech to other UT system schools or Rice. I bet OU does the same thing with oSu. That goes a long way to smooth over our exit. I don't have massive love for either school but I do feel bad that we left them in a sense. I think Texas only benefits from having strong state schools. 

We still talking about Tech?

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Nobody is scared to play tech.  The SEC is considering going to 10 conference games, this would mean tech would be our only real OOC game since the other one would have to be a bodybag game every year to make sure we got 6 home games.

That means no more playing Rice in Houston or traveling to fun OOC games like USC, UCLA, Cal, ND, Michigan, Ohio St.

That’s why this is a dumb idea.  I wouldn’t mind rotating tech in as an OOC game occasionally but signing up for an annual 20-25 year deal is dumb.

There is zero chance the SEC goes from 8 to 10 conference games. None. 

But I get your point. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We have room in our OOC for Tech. We've got games scheduled against Bama, Florida, and Georgia that all will have to be replaced. If we got to a 9 game SEC schedule, we'll have our yearly buy a win Rice type home game, a marquee OOC opponent, and Tech. That's not terrible. We'll alternate the Tech game home and home with how we are either home or away with our home and home OOC opponent. The OOC schedule is going to get tinkered with regardless.  We're not dropping Michigan and Ohio State because we promised Tech a yearly game. And the SEC is not going to 10 conference games. That's just sheer lunacy to think that's even an option. They only do 8 now and a good portion of that is to maximize their home games. 

If this gets started in 2025, we'll drop UTEP that year and add Tech. So our OOC will be: @tOSU, San Jose State, Tech. 2026: @Tech, tOSU, UTSA. 2027: no big deal because we only have @Michigan and UTEP on the schedule. Tech fills in as the other team. 2028-2031 will need all new OOC opponents to replace Georgia and Florida home and homes. UTSA and UTEP alternate in those years. So add Tech and a Pac 12 opponent like Oregon and Washington. This is no different that Georgia playing Georgia Tech every year. That doesn't limit Georgia's ability to schedule great home and home games. Florida plays Florida State every year and still had the balls to schedule us in 2030-2031. We're still going to search for great OOC games. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, jwtexan said:

There is zero chance the SEC goes from 8 to 10 conference games. None. 

But I get your point. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32039439/nick-saban-qa-college-football-playoff-expansion-nil-vaccines-more

Oklahoma and Texas recently accepted invitations to join the SEC no later than the 2025 season. How would you like to see the league structured once the Longhorns and Sooners are members?

When you look at our league expanding, you're going to play more good teams in our league. You're going to have to lose more games. How does that affect people getting in the playoff? If we're going to play 10 games in the SEC, which I would not be opposed to [because] I've always wanted to play more SEC games, you could play two divisions and you could play three teams from the other side. So every two and a half years, you're going to play everybody. If they're going to stay at eight or even nine, they should do the pods [of four teams], so you're only going to have three fixed opponents and you would be playing five or six teams from the other regions or pods. You would play everybody in three years.

-Saban

Dumb and stupid idea. One of the reasons I was looking forward to going to the SEC was not dealing with Tech and their annoying fans anymore. They can’t stand Texas but they sure like that big paycheck due to Texas being in the big 12. Tech is irrelevant. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Rage+1 1

2. 25 doesn't mean 25 times in 25 years, just 25 years.  We gotta play somebody.

3. Tech is the only P5 school 10 miles west of I-35, that's more than half the State.  Makes a lot of sense to play somebody in Texas.  Keep your enemies close kind of thing.  

4.  We owe our wealth, our resolve, and much of our identity, to the romance and realities, of the State Lands in West Texas.  Have some respect.  Maybe one day you can take an RV road trip to Lubbuck.  

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, PTINS said:

1. This is West Texas. All day long. I'm sure I've met average girls from out west, but none come to mind.  Every one of 'em love it. If they do, then I do.  That's the reason I started to listen to C&W music.

2331C9D1-44FD-4B04-82D4-33F68272EAD9_1_105_c.jpeg

$50 says F That Girl is from the Metroplex, San Antonio, Greater Austin, or Greater Houston. It might take some time to find some actual West Texans at Texas Tech. 

Regarding University Lands, that deal was made many years before Texas Tech existed. UT owes them exactly jack shit Dustin Burrows. Additionally, Lubbock/South Plains isn't exactly in the sweet spot. Some very old fields mixed in with some enhanced recovery floods. If Tech wants a piece of production in their actual backyard, please have at it. There are plenty of operators in the area looking for working interest partners. 

Finally the University of Texas System is funded through the PUF. That includes the UTPB which is located in Odessa. UTPB/PUF serves West Texans in a very meaningful way. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d give Tech 6 games to go away. 20-25 games is madness. 

Like I said in another thread, If we stick to 20-25 games Tech made real headway in PUF redistribution. If they did, some of West Texas assholes need to get off your ass and run for state rep and senator positions. 

This feels like an Abbott horse trade. He gives away way more than he should to keep the state GOP happy. 

I'd rather give them 4 games and some cash to grease the political skids. Whatever it takes to buy them off would be couch change to us. Still, despite this board's habit of jumping on CDC's shit before he acts, he's been pretty damn solid in his decision making so far. I'll wait for the official details before I get my jimmy rustled. 

Edited by Blotto

• Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”