Texas vs Tech “Agreement”

BurntOrange&White

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Outside of not agreeing to bury their games on the LHN (which nobody watched), they  always did what Texas told them to, which makes them a dutiful subordinate in my book.

And Texas attempted to look out for them a tried to include them in their move to the PAC16 and even Big Ten. They have also supported Tech in their academic growth (just like we did with aggy when they improved enough to get invited to the AAU, before they decide to turn into a diploma mill). Despite our differences, Tech is likely the closest in alignment to UT among the public universities in the state which is why they often “did what Texas told them” since it was mostly in their own interest.

12 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

And Texas attempted to look out for them a tried to include them in their move to the PAC16 and even Big Ten. They have also supported Tech in their academic growth (just like we did with aggy when they improved enough to get invited to the AAU, before they decide to turn into a diploma mill). Despite our differences, Tech is likely the closest in alignment to UT among the public universities in the state which is why they often “did what Texas told them” since it was mostly in their own interest.

I think both Texas and Tech have exaggerated Texas’ ability to control the fortunes of Tech, just as you’re doing with aggy’s invite into the AAU. The requisite 75% of the members voted for their admittance. That Tech appears to do more with less is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the financial and political support it receives from the powers that be in this state. It speaks to it being well managed and intentionally exploitive of its opportunities to improve.

8 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No offense, but having worked in the university arena for about a decade I can tell you that you are way off base.

aggy admitted and thanked Texas multiple times publicly for their support in getting them into the AAU.  It wasn’t just lobbying for votes, that is not how it works.  aggy had to have research dollars and faculty/staff and a host of other items for them to even be considered.  Texas allowed and encouraged professors to work at aggy and included them in joint research initiatives. Texas advised aggy on how to move up in the rankings and how to appeal to the other members of the AAU. aggy listened and it worked and aggy got in.

Then sometime around the Colt McCoy years aggy decided they didn’t need to listen to Texas anymore and hired Sharp.  Since then they have ballooned enrollment to Arizona State levels and created multiple liberal arts majors which royally fucked up their state funding.  Started their hybrid JUCO enrollment with Blinn and Rellis. They bought Texas Wesleyan, renamed it and a bunch of state agencies TAMU-XXX, started giving out aggy diplomas to various locations outside of College Station most notably Qatar which has spawned a federal investigation into their partnership and funding agreements which aggy is trying to do everything in it power to keep private.

aggy reputation peaked when they joined the AAU and since then it has been on the decline, academically speaking.

Tech has taken up the mantle that aggy discarded. Texas wants more quality universities in this state, and Tech has been making some really solid moves over the last decade that has improved their academics reputation.  Tech absolutely deserves a ton of credit here, but Texas has been assisting them where/when they can by partnering with them for research grants and supporting initiatives like with the vet school which aggy absolutely opposed. Tech could have succeed without and in spite of Texas, but it’s a lot easier to advance in the world of academia when you have someone like Texas in your corner.

I graduated the semester after Gates left and I was so pissed off that my diploma wasn’t signed by him. Since then everything you said is true and it’s more embarrassing every year to have a diploma from there. 

• Hook 'Em 3

In my dreams Tech continues to raise their academic profile and somehow Texas pulls along Texas State to be the #3 public academic in the state. I know UTD is doing well but a new system main campus would be awesome. If A&M isn't going to care about being a good school then fuck 'em. I mean the name is Texas State, they need to be better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

In my dreams Tech continues to raise their academic profile and somehow Texas pulls along Texas State to be the #3 public academic in the state. I know UTD is doing well but a new system main campus would be awesome. If A&M isn't going to care about being a good school then fuck 'em. I mean the name is Texas State, they need to be better. 

Where will all the dumb hot chicks go?

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

I graduated the semester after Gates left and I was so pissed off that my diploma wasn’t signed by him. Since then everything you said is true and it’s more embarrassing every year to have a diploma from there. 

I don't keep track of usernames and posters typically (though I do know this is your message board).  How are you an Aggie alum and grad but a Texas fan?

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

I don't keep track of usernames and posters typically (though I do know this is your message board).  How are you an Aggie alum and grad but a Texas fan?

I have always been a Texas fan. Went to school at TAMU did most of my student life at Texas, graduated in my teens. Did what most people would consider their junior and senior year in west campus, was initiated (honorary) at the UT chapter of my fraternity instead of the TAMU chapter. 

It's an odd story, but basically I just chose wrong when I decided between Texas and TAMU based on stupid rankings instead of where I belonged. By the time I looked into transferring to get enough residency credits it would have taken me an extra 2 years of classes I didn't need to get an undergrad degree. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I have always been a Texas fan. Went to school at TAMU did most of my student life at Texas, graduated in my teens. Did what most people would consider their junior and senior year in west campus, was initiated (honorary) at the UT chapter of my fraternity instead of the TAMU chapter. 

It's an odd story, but basically I just chose wrong when I decided between Texas and TAMU based on stupid rankings instead of where I belonged. By the time I looked into transferring to get enough residency credits it would have taken me an extra 2 years of classes I didn't need to get an undergrad degree. 

Few people if any know that SynTex, author of the infamous 2004 BCS calculations, also did undergrad at A&M.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No offense, but having worked in the university arena for about a decade I can tell you that you are way off base.

aggy admitted and thanked Texas multiple times publicly for their support in getting them into the AAU.  It wasn’t just lobbying for votes, that is not how it works.  aggy had to have research dollars and faculty/staff and a host of other items for them to even be considered.  Texas allowed and encouraged professors to work at aggy and included them in joint research initiatives. Texas advised aggy on how to move up in the rankings and how to appeal to the other members of the AAU. aggy listened and it worked and aggy got in.

Then sometime around the Colt McCoy years aggy decided they didn’t need to listen to Texas anymore and hired Sharp.  Since then they have ballooned enrollment to Arizona State levels and created multiple liberal arts majors which royally fucked up their state funding.  Started their hybrid JUCO enrollment with Blinn and Rellis. They bought Texas Wesleyan, renamed it and a bunch of state agencies TAMU-XXX, started giving out aggy diplomas to various locations outside of College Station most notably Qatar which has spawned a federal investigation into their partnership and funding agreements which aggy is trying to do everything in it power to keep private.

aggy reputation peaked when they joined the AAU and since then it has been on the decline, academically speaking.

Tech has taken up the mantle that aggy discarded. Texas wants more quality universities in this state, and Tech has been making some really solid moves over the last decade that has improved their academics reputation.  Tech absolutely deserves a ton of credit here, but Texas has been assisting them where/when they can by partnering with them for research grants and supporting initiatives like with the vet school which aggy absolutely opposed. Tech could have succeed without and in spite of Texas, but it’s a lot easier to advance in the world of academia when you have someone like Texas in your corner.

Well, that’s certainly one way of looking at it.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:03 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

how did we lord it up over them?  we supported their move to create a 2nd vet school.

aggy had none of that.

THEY CAN HAVE A GAME.  no one is saying we are not going to play them.  they are just the largest of the texas schools that we will play.  so maybe they get a 3 for 1 and everybody else gets a 4 for 1, interlaced cycles, over 2 decades, and when it' convenient for us.

smu i don't understand why we wouldn't give them a game.

again, 2nd Fair Park game AT NIGHT !!!!!!  once every 10 years would be spectacular

i think we've skipped smu because we already have fair park.

houston doubled down after bleachergate when they killed Campus McRaven.

they didn't just piss off belmont, they pissed off the tower, for probably 100 years

i can see us telling the big12 we will happily forfeit any attempt to schedule us against cat high, home or away

Ford Stadium is great... for high school football. No Jerryworld. Playing them in the Cotton Bowl would be a sacrilege. 

All that about Coug High. 

On 9/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Since then they have ballooned enrollment to Arizona State levels and created multiple liberal arts majors which royally fucked up their state funding.

Aggy is setting themselves up for future failure in multiple ways.

The most-regretted (and lowest-paying) college majors
Almost half of humanities and arts majors regret their choice — and enrollment in those disciplines is shrinking rapidly

Analysis by Andrew Van Dam
Staff writer
Washington Post|
September 2, 2022 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

here's a gifted link in case anyone really wants to read it https://wapo.st/3BXGJIZ

• 9 months later...
  • Pancho changed the title to Texas vs Tech “Agreement”