The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, too late.....hence this new direction...sigh.....least it was on the band and not the bezel.  I did have a nice tourettes/earmuff's moments with the kids around.  

I've had a dozen nicer watches (about 8 currently) and all of them have a ding or scratch somewhere so I've long since really getting that worked up. My daily watch, an Hublot Big Bang has lots of little dings after 12 years of wear.

FYI for those in Houston. I was in Zadok's last week and they are going to have a Tudor trunk show to introduce the new releases tomorrow evening (June 12th). Call to confirm because I don't see it on their website. I don't know the details other than that but I'm considering checking it out.

Looking for a nice, everyday luxury sports watch that can do everything from work to the beach and Tudor might be the choice for something relatively inexpensive.

That said, I tried on the VC Overseas and it is a great looking watch. Hefty pricetag, but very nice and amazingly wearable/light even with the SS. The AP RO was very nice too but they only had the Rose Gold and I need something in stainless.

Let's take this in another direction for a second.  Have a number of nice Swiss watches.  Now I want to look on the other end of the spectrum.  I need a robust watch for travelling, ranch work, and other assorted mayhem.  Something with a lower profile than the G-shock.  Like to stay under $200 generally.  Looking at the Suunto Core All black.  Any experiences:  good or bad?  Any other suggestions?  Also looking at the Timex Expedition T46912 Shock.  Less concerned with GPS & bluetooth capabilities.  Wife has an Apple watch.  Not a fan.  
I've picked up a couple victorinox autos under $200. Both really nice beaters.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

That said, I tried on the VC Overseas and it is a great looking watch. Hefty pricetag, but very nice and amazingly wearable/light even with the SS. The AP RO was very nice too but they only had the Rose Gold and I need something in stainless.

A VC Overseas is my daily wearer. I cant recommend the watch enough. Everything else I have collects dust because I just prefer the VC.

DavidSW is awesome.

I was nervous as hell trying to take a wrapped watch through TSA, but they got behind and started rushing people through screening, so it didn't get a second glance.

New customs process in Cancun is awesome. No trouble at all.

Thanks, y'all.

She absolutely loves it, and respects the rules.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Watches are meant to be worn. If they aren't scratched you are doing it wrong.

What made me feel really, really comfortable about this....

...is if you've ever seen watches auctioned for tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars - even dressy ones like PP/VC/etc not just vintage rolexes, they're all beat to fuck.

It's not like vintage cars that people love to see in mint condition.  As long as these things have original parts, they're valued.

Just now, 52-80 said:

What made me feel really, really comfortable about this....

...is if you've ever seen watches auctioned for tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars - even dressy ones like PP/VC/etc not just vintage rolexes, they're all beat to fuck.

It's not like vintage cars that people love to see in mint condition.  As long as these things have original parts, they're valued.

That's why they're being auctioned IMO.....  and I'm not buying a beat to fuck watch.  I'm only buying one when I know its mechanically sound, and has the fewest number of dings possible.   My exerience has been, I've bought more than a few second hand watches over the years thru internet sites, and they were all pretty much taken care of with few blemishes, and no major dings.  

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Of course they do, they belong to me.

I'm not sure. I'm hearing.....see that scratch ?? That's where I Scraped a pre hung metal door jamb.  What I wanna hear is, see that gash ?  That's from the Samurai sword granddad blocked with his watch or where the hooker tried to bite me......  The hooker story has to be on a rose gold watch of course.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

You mention wanting lower profile than G-Shock; do you know about the "original" G-Shock? Not near as large or gaudy as their new models, still totally durable, and really a classic.

https://smile.amazon.com/G-shock-DW5600E-1V-Black-Resin-Sport/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528767653&sr=8-1&keywords=gshock+classic

Or, for a real classic, its spiritual ancestor, the F91W. Seen on presidents wrists, also commonly used to trigger IEDs:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/09/14/casio-f-91w-terrorist-bomb/

https://smile.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Classic-Resin-Digital/dp/B000GAWSDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528767800&sr=8-1&keywords=f91w

13 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

You mention wanting lower profile than G-Shock; do you know about the "original" G-Shock? Not near as large or gaudy as their new models, still totally durable, and really a classic.

https://smile.amazon.com/G-shock-DW5600E-1V-Black-Resin-Sport/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528767653&sr=8-1&keywords=gshock+classic

Or, for a real classic, its spiritual ancestor, the F91W. Seen on presidents wrists, also commonly used to trigger IEDs:

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/09/14/casio-f-91w-terrorist-bomb/

https://smile.amazon.com/Casio-F91W-1-Classic-Resin-Digital/dp/B000GAWSDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528767800&sr=8-1&keywords=f91w

Do they come with an Atari game consol and your own copy of Frogger?  

*and i dig it.  I might have to get one of those.  

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

why is it you can buy a vintage yellow gold Rolex presidential for around 9k? always wondered that. also a cool site that my sisters bf uses for used rolexs is called bobs watches. no sales tax and hes gotten about a dozen off of that site

I bought my explorer 1 from Bob's.    I would buy from them again no problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Drummond said:

I bought my explorer 1 from Bob's.    I would buy from them again no problem.

Why are the older presidentials so cheap? I don’t get it. I want one bad but don’t have the money for a $30,000 watch. But the older ones sell for like 8-12k

17 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Why are the older presidentials so cheap? I don’t get it. I want one bad but don’t have the money for a $30,000 watch. But the older ones sell for like 8-12k

My guess is because they are 36mm and unless you have sub 7inch wrists it kind of looks funny.    Also, some of the cheaper late 70s early 80s ones are quarts, so be aware of that.

5 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

My guess is because they are 36mm and unless you have sub 7inch wrists it kind of looks funny.    Also, some of the cheaper late 70s early 80s ones are quarts, so be aware of that.

Well, that would make all Rolexes more than 10 years old real cheap relative to their MSRP, and they aren't.

I'm going to guess that they just aren't that popular in the used market.  First, they're a little pimpadelic.  Second, the gold just doesn't wear well (a used one tends not to be very "crisp" the way SS or SS/Gold can still be).  Third, I think most of those in the market for an all-gold, rather pure status symbol like the President, prefers new and has fuck-you money anyway (yes, I realize that you can spend a shit ton more for a watch, and a nicer or more unique piece, so the "fuck you money" or close to it isn't that big a deal, but that offers another explanation:  people that want to spend mid-5 on a watch will buy something other than a President, which is a $2500 watch wearing a lot of gold in the case/bracelet, and if you are buying used, you can probably get more watch for your 8-12k too).

Also, anyone who thinks a 36mm Rolex looks funny is a fashion victim.  They were a standard, classic watch for nearly 40 years.  I'd be surprised if the 40+ trend hangs on that long.

Edited by TwiceHorn

8 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Squale (squal-lay) 30ATM Ceramica GMT on the way....lots of watch for under a grand

Image result for squale 30 atmos ceramica pics

Pretty nice.  Seems like hardly anyone makes a GMT homage (or Explorer II) or any with the 24 hour hand, which is a function I find kind of cool.

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, that would make all Rolexes more than 10 years old real cheap relative to their MSRP, and they aren't.

I'm going to guess that they just aren't that popular in the used market.  First, they're a little pimpadelic.  Second, the gold just doesn't wear well (a used one tends not to be very "crisp" the way SS or SS/Gold can still be).  Third, I think most of those in the market for an all-gold, rather pure status symbol like the President, prefers new and has fuck-you money anyway (yes, I realize that you can spend a shit ton more for a watch, and a nicer or more unique piece, so the "fuck you money" or close to it isn't that big a deal, but that offers another explanation:  people that want to spend mid-5 on a watch will buy something other than a President, which is a $2500 watch wearing a lot of gold in the case/bracelet, and if you are buying used, you can probably get more watch for your 8-12k too).

Also, anyone who thinks a 36mm Rolex looks funny is a fashion victim.  They were a standard, classic watch for nearly 40 years.  I'd be surprised if the 40+ trend hangs on that long.

I don't wear any watches smaller than about 43 now. The ones I do have that are smaller sit in my winder going round and round and round never to be worn .....time to sell a few.  The uber big, over 48 looks kind of funny unless you have enormous arms and wrists IMO.

I have a replica German pilots watch, Unitas movement, 48 mm. A Nav B uhr that's is large because of its function.  I'm surprised it wears so well and doesn't look funny.

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Pretty nice.  Seems like hardly anyone makes a GMT homage (or Explorer II) or any with the 24 hour hand, which is a function I find kind of cool.

Davosa makes a homage that's very similar but 5 hundred more...IMO, the Squale is the better watch were the price the same. Both 42mm.

Image result for davosa batman pics

55 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't wear any watches smaller than about 43 now. The ones I do have that are smaller sit in my winder going round and round and round never to be worn .....time to sell a few.  The uber big, over 48 looks kind of funny unless you have enormous arms and wrists IMO.

I have a replica German pilots watch, Unitas movement, 48 mm. A Nav B uhr that's is large because of its function.  I'm surprised it wears so well and doesn't look funny.

flavor-flav-2.jpg?w=800

• Like 3

2 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Squale (squal-lay) 30ATM Ceramica GMT on the way....lots of watch for under a grand

Image result for squale 30 atmos ceramica pics

That is gorgeous.  I'm also a big fan of Tissot.  Great watches for the price!

Oh my...just googled Squale.  Came across the 101 ATMOS BLACK TATTICO.  Must have.

Edited by BabaYaga

28 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Just got a Nodus Trieste. Not really an homage, but a nice looking diver for pretty cheap. Will post pics once I figure out why Tapatalk sucks.

I like the Trieste.  Did you consider the Retrospect ?  That's a pretty standard diver with an additional indice marker set.  Does the bezel rotate ?  Not a deal breaker depending on price point, but I'm always curious.