The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 6/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, huge said:

I could never wear a straight up Rolex homage like those.  I suppose that is just my straight up vanity.

That Squa-lay on the other hand, no problemo

What do you see as being the difference between the two?  Meaning why would you wear the Squale but not the Steinhart?

As an IP guy, I find people's reactions to imitation interesting.  The Rolex designs are old enough that there can no longer be any patent protection, so basically the world is free to copy, so long as they leave trademarks (Rolex, crowns, etc.) out of it.

Some people get "morally" twisted off about copying or imitation.  Some folks just want the original and whatever prestige or snob appeal there is.  Others appreciate the price breaks that come from a quality imitation (good build, similar features).

For reference, in the US and most of the free world, copying and imitation is perfectly legal so long as there is no more patent, trademark or copyright protection.  It's not only legal, it's encouraged, both from a price competition standpoint and from the standpoint that imitation often entails improvement.

Edited by TwiceHorn

It is a really thin line between homage/copy or just similar aesthetic with a lot of watches, especially dive watches.  If you make a dive watch that can actually be described as a watch complying with the ISO 6425 standard, it's really only a few design elements that vary between almost all of them.

On 6/10/2018 at 12:00 AM, tokamak said:

Dumb question amnesty: do authorized dealers (specifically Omega ones) have the same prices everywhere? Have pretty much decided that I'm going to pick up a Seamaster 15,000 gauss, but the price at the Omega boutique in the Galleria is outrageous. Any point in shopping around?

ask around smaller shops for the 'cash price' 

I got a Black Bay a couple weeks ago:

mbideg.jpg

Realized I hadn't posted it yet.  I still have to get around to selling all those other watches I mentioned like a month ago.  Lazy ass.  My keyboard looks a lot dirtier when you look at it like that. E:  What is that by CMD?  I need to hose this thing off.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
Gross.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:02 AM, HoustonHorn said:

The Trieste

That's a good looking watch.  Original aspects combined with some classic stuff.  I dig the lumed bezel. 

I had a hard time choosing between that and my Draken Tugela, but ended up going with the different looking indices. 

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

6 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

I got a Black Bay a couple weeks ago:

mbideg.jpg

Realized I hadn't posted it yet.  I still have to get around to selling all those other watches I mentioned like a month ago.  Lazy ass.  My keyboard looks a lot dirtier when you look at it like that. E:  What is that by CMD?  I need to hose this thing off.

Nice watch, but that's one of the worst watch photos I've ever seen.  Do you actually type on that nasty ass keyboard?

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Nice watch, but that's one of the worst watch photos I've ever seen.  Do you actually type on that nasty ass keyboard?

That looks to be mostly zoomed in dust and what happens to a 6 year old laptop that spends the night outside on the patio and gets booze spilled in it a lot.  

I shook it off cause I didn't want to touch that  thing by CMD. Good as new-ish! 

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

Alright fine, I removed the science experiment photo.  Here, it's daytime now, although kinda cloudy outside and kinda dark under the patio cover:

2dhb4op.jpg

These new ones are very tall, btw, I guess for the new movement.  14.8mm.  I also sort of wish they kept the rose on the dial, but not really a big deal, since the shield is their actual logo, and the rose is on the crown still anyway.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

24 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

Dirty keyboard homage...

es97d1.jpg

The original dirty keyboard. And obligatory rolex homage for more homage...ness.

E: This Steinhart is one of the ones I'm getting rid of. It still runs, although I can't say how accurate it is anymore, since I haven't worn it in a long time. 

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

On 6/15/2018 at 1:43 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

There are many non copy/ homage diver watches out there to choose from. 

I know, but IMO, none of them look as good as the original. There’s a reason a lot of people copy it.

The bezel edge Is what really does it for me. I could do without the Star Wars paragraph on the dial.

On 6/17/2018 at 10:05 AM, huge said:

Some guys notices the watch and says something like “ah I see you have the Batman Rolex”

Nothing that comes after that is something I want to deal with, honestly

A few weeks ago I was wearing my Speedmaster, and a guy said he loved my watch, that he was really into watches, and then asked me what model of Rolex it was.  For a second, I wanted to fuck with him and say a Hulk or something, but I don't think he would have gotten the joke anyway

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JSB said:

A few weeks ago I was wearing my Speedmaster, and a guy said he loved my watch, that he was really into watches, and then asked me what model of Rolex it was.  For a second, I wanted to fuck with him and say a Hulk or something, but I don't think he would have gotten the joke anyway

You should have.

Where were you anyway?  The Kemah Boardwalk?

25 minutes ago, huge said:

You should have.

Where were you anyway?  The Kemah Boardwalk?

Doing some work at a tech company in DFW.  The guy was Argentinian, so its pretty obvious that Rolex sells a model in Argentina that rips off the Speedmaster.  Only plausible explanation

On 6/15/2018 at 2:27 PM, huge said:

Yeah.  Someone comes up to you and says "oh you have the new Batman" or something similar and you say no.......just a copy.

But its still a decorated ETA movement........errrrrrr

Edited by AUinHsv

5 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Probably a minority here but I call it a counterfeit and not a copy. And mostly because the bad guys are always trying to sell it as genuine when they know it's from a factory in China - not because my 25 year old sub is original.

Eh, I don't think you can really say the ones posted here are fake or counterfeit.  Davosa, Squale, and Steinhart, which are the homage brands I've seen in this thread, aren't trying to say their watches are Rolexes, and they don't use Chinese...anything, I don't think...in them.  They brand them accurately and use ETAs, which are Swiss made (Swatch group owns ETA) movements used by A LOT of brands. 

I'm not very familiar with Davosa, but Squale and Steinhart also have their own designs (you can see one of the original Squales from their 60 Atmos line up above, for example).  

I've got a fake...I think it was a fake Patek....that I picked up on a whim while I was in Korea to see what was in it.  That shit was labeled up trying to pretend to be the real thing ($20 Patek lol).  I've still got it laying around here somewhere, although I took the movement out to mess with it.  Unmarked, but it has hacking and hand winding, which is interesting.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

7 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Eh, I don't think you can really say the ones posted here are fake or counterfeit.  Davosa, Squale, and Steinhart, which are the homage brands I've seen in this thread, aren't trying to say their watches are Rolexes, and they don't use Chinese...anything, I don't think...in them.  They brand them accurately and use ETAs, which are Swiss made (Swatch group owns ETA) movements used by A LOT of brands. 

I'm not very familiar with Davosa, but Squale and Steinhart also have their own designs (you can see one of the original Squales from their 60 Atmos line up above, for example).  

I've got a fake...I think it was a fake Patek....that I picked up on a whim while I was in Korea to see what was in it.  That shit was labeled up trying to pretend to be the real thing ($20 Patek lol).  I've still got it laying around here somewhere, although I took the movement out to mess with it.  Unmarked, but it has hacking and hand winding, which is interesting.

I was not saying anything here was fake. As was mentioned - if you make a divers watch then you have to have some common elements with any other dive watch. The counterfeits are the ones that are made in China but still say Rolex on the dial which are totally different than a similar dive watch. A lot of the Subs for sale are these models and are used to cheat an unsuspecting buyer. And the manufacturer of these fakes are getting better and better at disguising from the real thing

16 hours ago, JSB said:

It's a Reference 2375 Cary Grant edition

20 hours ago, huge said:

Rolex doesnt sell anything that looks like a Speedmaster unless you are blind and think an SS Daytona looks like one.

Some people are just daft.

I was making a joke, that Rolex wouldn't rip off the Speedmaster.  Anyway, lets move on folks

So as some of you may remember, I assisted (minimally) in designing a watch for Vapaus. Basically I suggested some colors, which they ended up changing and I ended up winning the voting so they are making my model.  In any event, they actually changed it from the winning design to something darker and brooding - originally the Sunset and now the Atomic.. Still great looking with an orange degrade dial. The Kickstarter is today.

To my disappointment it will be a MechaQuartz option which they chose in order to maintain the relatively thin height and overall aesthetics. Other options were either somewhat unreliable or extremely expensive.

If anyone is interested the KS will open at 10AM CST today.

While I am somewhat disappointed with the movement, I own several of Vapaus' original watches, the Veli, and they have a very fine attention to detail and they are high quality watches. I know the Vorcut will be the same. I'll try to post some pictures as well.