The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

31 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

A ton of money out there just looking for something/anything to buy right now. Can do a lot worse than the last 5711. $53k MSRP...but it's for charity!

I have a tudor looking for charity if the money out there wants to buy it 😑

• Haha 1

https://nypost.com/2021/12/13/chicago-snatch-and-grab-crooks-swipe-watches-worth-more-than-1-million/

"The thieves made out with 7-8 watches worth over $1mm."

One would think that those types of watches at that price point would be pretty easy to track down on secondary markets.  Good luck offloading them.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/13/chicago-snatch-and-grab-crooks-swipe-watches-worth-more-than-1-million/
One would think that those types of watches at that price point would be pretty easy to track down on secondary markets.  Good luck offloading them.
There's an entire underworld of watches. The watches have completely different values because they are known to be hot and the buyer knows that they can't sell it on the gray market. Eventually, down the line, someone usually sells it because they can't resist the big money.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:
2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

There's an entire underworld of watches. The watches have completely different values because they are known to be hot and the buyer knows that they can't sell it on the gray market. Eventually, down the line, someone usually sells it because they can't resist the big money.

Watch mafia ??!

47 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Watch mafia ??!

Paul Thorpe on YouTube is a former watch dealer and discusses these robberies a lot (he was robbed 3x when he was a dealer) and has discussed this black market. What is interesting is that while it may take years and years, eventually someone sells the watch to the general public to realize the profits (since the prices on the black market are very low compared to the gray market). The buyer eventually takes the watch for service, its compared against the database and recognized as stolen and returned to the rightful owner. The person who bought it without the papers is out the money - so don't buy high-end watches without the papers.

• Hook 'Em 3

Has anyone had experience selling to Bernard or other big used watch sellers (Bob's, DavidSW etc)? I am ready to downsize and am exploring my options. 
I tried Crown and Caliber to sell my wife's ladies Yachmatster that she never wore and needed service. I got an online quote and they offered me $4500. As part of the process, I detailed the condition of the watch, including the fact that it needed a service and a new sapphire crystal. Wife managed to scratch up the sapphire. So, they send me a label, I send it in, and the new offer is $3600 because it needs a new crystal. Duh. With these mail in places, expect them to try to fuck you after you have sent it in. I had Crown and Caliber send it back to me and sold it to a local jewelry place for $5100. When I do sell a watch, I usually do it myself on the watchuseek sales forum. You're gonna get more that way, but might not be a viable option without a track record on that site.

And now for the obligatory post what you have for sell here. Maybe a watch fanatic will have some interest.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That is my concern with the internet sites. I have heard that before about C&C specifically. I am in DFW, but thought about driving to Austin and meet at Bernard to let them look in person. 

I have thought about listing individually. I used to be pretty active buying and selling on Timezone back in the day, but that place is not what it used to be. I think WUS has usurped them. I have an account there, but I have lurked only so not a lot of street cred built up. Honestly, dealing with multiple listings, shipping, wire transfers, scams has resulted in me losing interest every time. 

It's a hodgepodge of stuff. IWC titanium aquatimer 2000, Speedy Pro sapphire sandwich, GO Sport Evo panodate, Rolex Pepsi GMT2, IWC Portuguese 7 Day. I want to keep one or two, but having a bunch of safe queens is no good.

On 12/14/2021 at 7:30 AM, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

That’s where I get most of my cars (not watches).  Those thieves are lucky because Perillo and Abbas’ guys wouldn’t hesitate to shoot, in most cases.

Also watches are going completely through the roof.  Anytime my AD calls I’m saying yes to everything.  I’ll figure out the rest later.  

The biggest surprise with something I got that I didn’t specifically order, but said yes to, was definitely the James Cameron.  It’s a fucking tank but feels great on the wrist and the engineering that goes into a piece like that is just all kinds of badass.  

Re: selling your watch to resellers, always go with a high volume seller. Also take a look at their current inventory to see how backed up they are on the model you are trying to sell.

I've had good luck with DavidSW, and recently did a GMT II price check and they were better than my local guy. YYMV

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/18/2021 at 9:46 AM, ChiTownDoc said:

That’s where I get most of my cars (not watches).  Those thieves are lucky because Perillo and Abbas’ guys wouldn’t hesitate to shoot, in most cases.

Also watches are going completely through the roof.  Anytime my AD calls I’m saying yes to everything.  I’ll figure out the rest later.  

The biggest surprise with something I got that I didn’t specifically order, but said yes to, was definitely the James Cameron.  It’s a fucking tank but feels great on the wrist and the engineering that goes into a piece like that is just all kinds of badass.  

I was super lucky on the overseas.  To the point I'm considering just flipping the thing.  

I've been looking at the JC's and was wondering if they fit like the YMII.  I have a couple of IWC's that are on the larger side and didn't know if the JC fit the same way.  

3 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Got this for my best friend. He turns 40 in January and just lost his dad to suicide. Not sure if it’s the best but I thought it was cool looking. I got a extra 10% off and it was just under $500 out the door. Also he already has 2 shinola’s.0893050C-D347-4D9B-BA36-FECA81F93A3B.thumb.png.e8a19a94a80cded6b590376bc2cf422a.png

It's not always the time piece, some times it's the message.  T&P to your friend.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

been awhile since we've done this, and probably have some new folks on the board...

what's your holy grail watch?

(Seiko) Credor Eichi 1.  35mm, platinum, hand-painted enamel on porcelain dial.  Limited run of 25 pieces

eichi_1.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=5

seiko_manufacture_japan_18.jpg?ixlib=rai

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 9:26 AM, topochico said:

That is my concern with the internet sites. I have heard that before about C&C specifically. I am in DFW, but thought about driving to Austin and meet at Bernard to let them look in person. 

I have thought about listing individually. I used to be pretty active buying and selling on Timezone back in the day, but that place is not what it used to be. I think WUS has usurped them. I have an account there, but I have lurked only so not a lot of street cred built up. Honestly, dealing with multiple listings, shipping, wire transfers, scams has resulted in me losing interest every time. 

It's a hodgepodge of stuff. IWC titanium aquatimer 2000, Speedy Pro sapphire sandwich, GO Sport Evo panodate, Rolex Pepsi GMT2, IWC Portuguese 7 Day. I want to keep one or two, but having a bunch of safe queens is no good.

Pics or I'm not buying... ;)

(I'm a cheap buyer, so you'd probably do better elsewhere, but the Pepsi and the Port 7 Day could be of interest....)

I can't remember if I posted these or not, but I picked up a Rado Captain Cook Mkii off Chrono24 and a vintage Vacheron from 1955 at a Bonhams Hong Kong auction.  Really like both, but I find myself wearing the Vacheron constantly. Was 2100 bucks all in too. Whatever Vacheron does I am just a suckered for apparently.

20211107-141939.jpg

Rado-Captain-Cook-MKII-001.jpg

• Hook 'Em 7