The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

11 hours ago, JSB said:

WatchBuys is having a pretty big Fortis sale going on. Pretty good deals for that mid-level price point.

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Fortis-Closeout-Event-c115.htm

havent been on this site in a while.  what the holy fuck

https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-Watch-Strap-Apple-Watch-42-mm-16p3043.htm

SI-822.jpg

SI-822-alt2.jpg

• Haha 3

I'm thinking of getting a new watch engraved with the boys birthday on it as a commemoration, and then giving it to him when he's 15 or 18 or whatever (self-indulgently because I get to wear it in the mean time....).  So the watch should be of a 'classic' make, and preferably engraving is directly from manufacturer rather than 3rd party.

• 5-figure Rolex is too indulgent, if one can be found at all.
  • Stowa can engrave anything - caseback, ratchet wheel, rotor,
  • Nomos can do baseback - I would go for Club Campus
  • King Seiko - no OEM engraving, but apparently they just announced the revival of this line last month all in the 37mm size, and the squared off looking lugs and strap are badass.  EUR 1700.

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/kingseiko

Seiko-King-Seiko.006.jpg

Seiko-King-Seiko.011.jpg?ssl=1

Seiko-King-Seiko.019.jpg

So I'm thinking Nomos or KS.  Any other suggestions?

I'm thinking of getting a new watch engraved with the boys birthday on it as a commemoration, and then giving it to him when he's 15 or 18 or whatever (self-indulgently because I get to wear it in the mean time....).  So the watch should be of a 'classic' make, and preferably engraving is directly from manufacturer rather than 3rd party.
  • 5-figure Rolex is too indulgent, if one can be found at all.
  • Stowa can engrave anything - caseback, ratchet wheel, rotor,
  • Nomos can do baseback - I would go for Club Campus
  • King Seiko - no OEM engraving, but apparently they just announced the revival of this line last month all in the 37mm size, and the squared off looking lugs and strap are badass.  EUR 1700.
https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/kingseiko
Seiko-King-Seiko.006.jpg
Seiko-King-Seiko.011.jpg?ssl=1

Seiko-King-Seiko.019.jpg

So I'm thinking Nomos or KS.  Any other suggestions?

Good choices

If you want something different or you're kids likes things a little odd the beaten path which it seems like he might considering you are already choosing from some slightly different options.

https://anordain.com/

Very unique. Beautiful Enamel dials. $2.5k or less. Custom engraving. My watch is on order and hopefully I'll be getting it soon.

Holthinrichs
https://holthinrichswatches.com/
Less than 10k. 3D printed cases - totally different. I don't know if they do engraving but I'm sure they can if you ask. I can get you directly in touch with them.

Ochs und Junior
https://www.ochsundjunior.swiss/watches/two-time-zones/customizer/
Also very different but really cool watches with tons of customization options. I love the 2 time zone. Custom engraving. A friend has one and loves it and he's tough to please. Definitely on my list.

• Hook 'Em 2

Speaking of engravings has anyone ever used a 3pty source for caseback engravings outside of the manufacturer?  I wouldn't mind engraving something on other watches I plan to keep forever. 

I know Farer isn't a classic brand yet, but they do offer engravings free on their watches.  I got a new Segrave Monopusher engraved from them with my daughter's bday when she was born last year. 

Yes, there is a wait list. You said when he was 15 or 18 so figured there wasn't a huge rush. Holthinrichs also has a year waiting list. I might be able to get that expedited for you though. Quite a bit more expensive. This is an older model called the Ornament 1. I really want to get one of these.

Screenshot_20220301-093208_Chrome.jpg

OnJ custom makes it to the customers specs but not sure if they have a long waiting list.

Edited by HoustonHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2022 at 12:13 PM, JSB said:

One of these days I'm going to get a Ball. Their tritium tubes are so fucking cool. 

Picked one up last week from Ashford. It’s the discontinued BMW partnership and I could certainly live without the cross branding. That said, when grading on a curve, it’s subtle and reasonably well done.  

Overall the early impressions are very good. It wouldn’t be worth the $5,000 MSRP but it was marked down to ~$1,400 and is great for that price.  I was just looking for something casual for the weekend and got the power reserve version with a black case and brown alligator strap. Immediately removed the strap and put on a white Barton rubber band that I had laying around.  With the quick change spring I see more colors coming my way soon.  

First thoughts:

- The tritium is cool but not as bright as expected.  Compared to other Ball models it’s conservatively used and a quick google shows that the orange and blue used are toward the bottom of the brightness scale. It took a while for my eyes to adjust to the dark and honestly traditionally lume is brighter immediately.  But I woke up in the middle of the night and the Ball was still going and easy to read - but not glowing by any means. 
- Without the BMW logo this would be a better watch. At least the only overt one is a small roundel at 3 that likely goes unnoticed by everyone but the wearer.  I barely notice it but abilities to ignore vary.  Apparently designed by the primary JLC designer of the 90s and / or 2000s. There are nods to BMW design language but they’re nice in their own right and no one would make the connection except for the co branding. Overall the case just has a few interesting visual cues like the lug shape and curved side profile.  
- The crystal is unexpectedly nice - particularly the perimeter that has a modest blue glow if it catches the right light. Reminds me a bit of the Milgauss green which I’ve always liked and felt it brought a bit of irreverence to the watch. 
- Finishing is pretty high end. Well decorated ETA movement, genuine alligator strap, very solid deployant clasp.  As a bonus, the strap dimensions are the same as my GO, including fitting the GO clasp, and the Ball is alligator and has a thicker pad. It’s overall more substantial and looks better than the original to me. 

Just looked back at Ashford. Price on the power reserve was increased to $2,250 but the similar GMT has dropped to $1,200.  When I ordered the prices were essentially reversed. 

Pics to come but, until then, here are some from reviews for reference. 

96A40136-35F4-40B7-BF7B-0C86312EE64D.jpeg

D4EC756D-3E1B-4C09-98E2-D5329A1A5139.jpeg

3D03A3B5-6CEB-40D4-B38C-60911E747589.jpeg

Edited by brown water
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 3/5/2022 at 2:49 PM, brown water said:

Picked one up last week from Ashford. It’s the discontinued BMW partnership and I could certainly live without the cross branding. That said, when grading on a curve, it’s subtle and reasonably well done.  

@G650 liked this

If anyone is interested, there will be a watch auction coming up to support relief efforts in the Ukraine. Specifically, they will be donating money to Jose Andres World Central Kitchen. He's actually in Ukraine cooking food for families fleeing their homes. https://wck.org/. The auction is being put together by Revolution Magazine and Adam Craniotes (started RedBar for you watch nerds).

Anyways, if anyone is interested in either donating a watch or in the auction itself, message me and I'll keep you in the loop as this comes together.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

If anyone is interested, there will be a watch auction coming up to support relief efforts in the Ukraine. Specifically, they will be donating money to Jose Andres World Central Kitchen. He's actually in Ukraine cooking food for families fleeing their homes. https://wck.org/. The auction is being put together by Revolution Magazine and Adam Craniotes (started RedBar for you watch nerds).

Anyways, if anyone is interested in either donating a watch or in the auction itself, message me and I'll keep you in the loop as this comes together.

What kind of timepieces are they expecting in this auction?  I have a couple I could probably send in if I can write it off on my taxes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Oh nice. Definitely keep us informed.

• Like 1

What kind of timepieces are they expecting in this auction?  I have a couple I could probably send in if I can write it off on my taxes.
Not sure, I'm sure it will be a mix. I'm probably in for a Farer Cobb, Hanhart ES417 bronze or an Enicar digital. I'm sure it could be a write-off, but don't know any details at this point. Will definitely let y'all know as soon as I get more info.

1 hour ago, CoachTex said:

Thanks man. The Fiesta bowl watch in not in the picture because the leather band broke. Changing some watch batteries this weekend and starting a rotation again. 

I really like the rings too. \m/

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 1