The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I love Nomoses(?) but I'm not so sure about the mix of Roman numerals and Arabic. Cool story/keepsake though.

Apparently that style is a California Dial, because california watchmakers used to swap those markers when repairing old watches.

Also a watchmaking peculiarity is the Roman 4 set as IIII rather than IV, though not in this instance.

Im a sucker for gray/blue faces and offset seconds.  The crown has a really solid action too, unlike some other pieces I have.

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

I love Nomoses(?) but I'm not so sure about the mix of Roman numerals and Arabic. Cool story/keepsake though.

It's for the baby to learn more numerals. Cmon bro.

By the way does Nomos do engravings?  Or was it done somewhere else? 

16 minutes ago, utxmike05 said:

It's for the baby to learn more numerals. Cmon bro.

By the way does Nomos do engravings?  Or was it done somewhere else? 

They have factory engraving, which was 50% of the motivation for buying.  Only other engraver I found was from Stowa. 

Ordered on Sunday, and arrived to my door today.  Only wish it was larger and deeply embossed, rather than laser-etched

9E40137C-4118-44FD-8CCA-598491685AC9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

They have factory engraving, which was 50% of the motivation for buying.  Only other engraver I found was from Stowa. 

Ordered on Sunday, and arrived to my door today.  Only wish it was larger and deeply embossed, rather than laser-etched

That's awesome. Congrats!

Good to know on the other companies who factory engrave. 

I like Farer for that fact also. Free engraving, 2 day free ship from UK.  

I had this one ordered when my daughter was born w her name/bday. 

9B8E2E67-BF7D-4454-81FD-FA46ADEE6898.jpeg

4AEBD53F-F3DC-4DCC-8B44-E360967AE5D9.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, utxmike05 said:

That's awesome. Congrats!

Good to know on the other companies who factory engrave. 

I like Farer for that fact also. Free engraving, 2 day free ship from UK.  

I had this one ordered when my daughter was born w her name/bday. 

9B8E2E67-BF7D-4454-81FD-FA46ADEE6898.jpeg

Thats a really really nice job.
My other option was aftermarket engraving on watch without flatback, and was concerned they wouldnt be able to follow the radius of the case like they were able to on yours. 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

9E40137C-4118-44FD-8CCA-598491685AC9.jpeg

Quite disappointed to look more closely at this and discover that the Dickbutt isn't actually on the watch. 

I had Stowa engrave "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." on a rotor in the past. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

First watch ive sold in like a decade. Finally letting go of the Tudor, for (nominally) a few dollars more than I bought 5 years ago. 

Cant complain…unless maybe factoring in inflation 

Which one?

7 minutes ago, huge said:

Which one?

burgundy black bay 41mm 79230R

still love that entire line of black bay and pelagos, the blue, the copper, etc.. probably would have kept it if it was the 39mm one (for whatever reason called the Fifty Eight)

33 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

burgundy black bay 41mm 79230R

still love that entire line of black bay and pelagos, the blue, the copper, etc.. probably would have kept it if it was the 39mm one (for whatever reason called the Fifty Eight)

Ah yes the OG.

Long time watch fanatic thread reader, first time poster.  Just got the Nomos club sport neomatik.  Very happy with it so far.  My wrist is 7 1/8", but a bit rectangular (wide across but thin top to bottom) so many watches don't fit me well. For example, Panerai is ideal diameter for me but the case thickness causes a large gap between my wrist and bracelet/band near the lugs.  This watch is 42 mm, 52.3 lug to lug, and only 10.2 thick.  The fit is perfect for me. 
The movement is in house (DUW 6101) self winding with date wheel that can be turned in either direction.  Nomos claims to manufacture all components, even their own escapement, in Glashutte. If you are looking for a simple dial with large diameter and thin casing, I think Nomos has some great offerings.

IMG-0372.jpg

Also, lume is super powerful even in medium light settings:
IMG-0381.jpg
Great looking watch! I me sure about Nomos until I tried a couple on and they are fantastic. Congrats!

1 minute ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

the old Sinn 556 has shit the proverbial bed.  Any recs for a repair shop in Houston?  Has anyone sent one back to Sinn for servicing?  

i used RGM in pennsylvania which was their official service partner

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HoustonHorn said:

Always a good idea to have the bracelet.

Good move. I’ve had a Speedmaster for a few years and have never wanted to put it on a strap. I even swapped out the clasp for a Seamaster clasp for better micro adjustments.  A worthy mod indeed. 

31 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i used RGM in pennsylvania which was their official service partner

I've done both, because I'm a klutz.  The second time trying to navigate the FedEx rules shipping it to Germany turned into such a clusterfuck that I used RGM.  I was initially hesitant because surely lazy Americans are no match for der Vaterland's exacting standards, but it was way simpler, faster, and they did great work.

I'll use RGM when I inevitably need them again.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Damor said:

I've done both, because I'm a klutz.  The second time trying to navigate the FedEx rules shipping it to Germany turned into such a clusterfuck that I used RGM.  I was initially hesitant because surely lazy Americans are no match for der Vaterland's exacting standards, but it was way simpler, faster, and they did great work.

I'll use RGM when I inevitably need them again.

also used another local (to me) watch repair shop that also was certified with sinn.. they did work on the 756 including replacing the blue moisture indicator and that wasnt an issue

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Good move. I’ve had a Speedmaster for a few years and have never wanted to put it on a strap. I even swapped out the clasp for a Seamaster clasp for better micro adjustments.  A worthy mod indeed. 

Speedy is one of the most versatile…looks good with almost any strap.  I have the bracelet, few Natos, and few leather options. Interesting mod on the clasp, didn’t know seamaster had more adjustments.

current

31BF4FFF-D7A8-47E4-ACF1-2AA9DA0B0C19.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Omega guy called yesterday and they had a blue face Speedmaster come in, so it should be here Tuesday. Blue leather straps haven’t come out for the new ones yet, so went with the metal band for now. He’s going to call me this summer when the leather comes in.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

what is the skinny on these Frederique Constant watches?  was just banging around the interwebz looking at moonphase watches and this one came up.  

image.png.f095d035d58fb2722059198eb2e084e1.png

this is listed at $4K at Joma.  

Well, the guy spells his name with a "q" so you just added about $2k to the price...

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Was drinking late on IG last night and now this guy is making me one of these

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbphXwFLbF3/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Dude lol. I applaud this.

Somewhat related, I always keep an eye on auctions just to see what things are going for. Sotheby's has a couple of 3900 Nautiluses and the estimates are 30 to 50k. This is a quartz watch!?? The world is mad

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, G650 said:

Dude lol. I applaud this.

Somewhat related, I always keep an eye on auctions just to see what things are going for. Sotheby's has a couple of 3900 Nautiluses and the estimates are 30 to 50k. This is a quartz watch!?? The world is mad

And really, really, really, really, really, ru-ha-eally fucking stupid.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

New Speedmaster showed up today. Definitely need the leather band for it when it comes out this summer.0ED53BE5-ABB8-4B1C-B17E-C6802FAAACD3.thumb.jpeg.be8821f178bc1de09089bd05226e4ebb.jpeg

Diggin' the Speedie, but I don't like a leather strap in Summer, the sweat destroys them quickly IMO.. I like a rubber or metal bracelet in hot months, and a leather strap in the cool months.  Of course your results may vary.

36 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Diggin' the Speedie, but I don't like a leather strap in Summer, the sweat destroys them quickly IMO.. I like a rubber or metal bracelet in hot months, and a leather strap in the cool months.  Of course your results may vary.

Agree. I’ll use the seamaster with the rubber band most of the time. I’ve really liked the rubber band. This one is more for when I have to dress half decent.

Probably not news to some here, but 1stdibs.com has about 50 pages, 50 !! Of used watches for sale, and at least 45 are half filled with Rolexes of every stripe, and vintage.

Omegas, , Panerais, IWC, Breitlings, Pateks, Hublot, Tag, and other brands are all well represented . Royal oaks as far as the eye can see 

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Probably not news to some here, but 1stdibs.com has about 50 pages, 50 !! Of used watches for sale, and at least 45 are half filled with Rolexes of every stripe, and vintage.

Omegas, , Panerais, IWC, Breitlings, Pateks, Hublot, Tag, and other brands are all well represented . Royal oaks as far as the eye can see 

not sure if i would buy a modded vintage, but these look cool

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-stainless-steel-datejust-custom-finished-dial-circa-1970s/id-j_14414342/

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-steel-air-king-custom-green-dial-early-1970s/id-j_13810712/

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

In my youth I used to get really stoned and go to the mall and end up buying shoes with every color under the sun. Next day I'd be like 'WTF'?

You toke, man?

I’ve got plenty of vices but that’s not one of them.