The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

3 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

need some advice on a seiko spb171.  i found a new one on chrono for a little under $1600 shipped.  seems too good to be true but everything looks right to me.  anyone have input?

They charge the dealers a premium.  I hunted for my Rolex on there and found a dealer that had what I was looking for (and was based in US and was able to research beyond chrono24).  It takes a bit of digging but I ended up buying direct.

On another note I've heard watch prices are dropping.  Anybody seeing this?  I've got a couple more in my sights. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Poolflood said:

On another note I've heard watch prices are dropping.  Anybody seeing this?  I've got a couple more in my sights. 

There has definitely been the start of a correction, especially at the high end on hyped watches like certain Rolex, PP, AP. This has a trickle down effect to some of the lesser models. I imagine we'll see a steeper correction upcoming as there are TONS of new watch flippers that are going to be left holding the bag on these hype models that exploded earlier in the year.

The war, inflation, crypto, and general stock market issues are definitely reducing confidence in the watch market as a whole and its definitely slowed down and I'd say you can find some deals over the next 3-6 months. I would at least wait through the summer before buying any of the above brands as I think they will continue to come down more significantly than the rest of the watch market. That said, very low production independent brands still seem to be doing pretty decent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:
45 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:
Fighting urge to drop 15k on watch while heading into potential stagflation. Must resist for a bit longer. 

Physical asset if you choose the right watch. My watches are doing better than my stocks.

Yeah I get it. But they’re also at the near top of the market.  Boeing is down what, 150% of its 52w highs?  The Rolex I’m watching hasn’t dropped anything like that. And the big kicker is there may be some that are tremendous investments, but if it’s not your style and you won’t wear it, it’s no different than any other investment vehicle.  When it works out it’s pretty cool, but when I buy things I like I’m dgaf if they appreciate. They likely are being passed down, not flipped. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:29 PM, gsoda3 said:

need some advice on a seiko spb171.  i found a new one on chrono for a little under $1600 shipped.  seems too good to be true but everything looks right to me.  anyone have input?

that face is dope.  price is legit.  heres a similar arita porcelain one for same price

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarw061-limited-edition-arita-porcelain-dial-made-in-japan?_pos=1&_sid=dca5ef802&_ss=r

the enameled one without the depth is half as much

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/seiko-automatic-presage-sarw035-enamelled-dial-made-in-japan?_pos=4&_sid=45736eaa7&_ss=r

im partial to the black faced ones

https://www.seiyajapan.com/collections/seiko/presage+urushi-dial

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, HoustonHorn said:
On 5/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, fattyflattie said:
Fighting urge to drop 15k on watch while heading into potential stagflation. Must resist for a bit longer. 

Physical asset if you choose the right watch. My watches are doing better than my stocks.

watches, like trading cards and everything else, are riding a massive wave of free money. the bubble is absolutely going to pop and watch prices are going to take a massive hit. 

On 5/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

watches, like trading cards and everything else, are riding a massive wave of free money. the bubble is absolutely going to pop and watch prices are going to take a massive hit. 

Yup, I’ve been tempted to flip an AP and Vacheron but can’t bring myself to do it. Love them too much.

I may have paid a little much for this one, but it was just serviced by RSC Dallas (replaced crown, which is ok, and hands, which I would have preferred to keep), has a new Jubilee bracelet, and the RSC service also means it was checked for legitimacy. I finally figured…if you’re going to collect Longhorn watches, eventually you have to get one of these. Why not pay a little more and get one in the shape you want, rather than wait and spend a little less to get one lacking?9359C4A9-BE08-4371-BF64-A109178265B6.thumb.jpeg.83edd5e0fc036a9ec4806bd37210606a.jpeg

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:45 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

It's already started.  The hulk is down roughly 10% on Chrono24 already.

On 5/31/2022 at 1:14 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yup, I’ve been tempted to flip an AP and Vacheron but can’t bring myself to do it. Love them too much.

Do you mean flip as in buy one new and turn around and sell it or just sell ones you already own? Selling a watch isn't "flipping".

That said, the hype watches from Rolex/PP/AP/VC are definitely down already and seems like they'll continue dropping. There's also a softening in the watch market as a whole (due to US/World events), but less so for the watches that aren't multiples of retail. Right now its mostly impacting grey market dealers who overextended based on the expectation that prices would continue to rise, as well as idiots paying those crazy prices (although they don't have to sell). I imagine if this continues to head down over an extended period of time, you'll see a LOT fewer fly by night grey market watch shops. For those with liquidity and/or the ability to weather the storm, it might be an opportunity.

I still like independent brands with extremely low production. They aren't as liquid because they aren't well known, but there are so few available it doesn't take much demand. Just a month ago, Czapek announced they were halting orders on the Antarctique de Drake for a year and orders placed prior were only guaranteed to arrive by EOY 2024. Moser prices have gone up slightly since the beginning of the year  and remain steady. I anticipate an announcement with Moser and a non-watch brand this month which may generate some excitement. Other independents like Parmagiani Fleurier also remain quite popular.

There are a lot more people who can buy a luxury watch when the price is going up than the number of people who can buy a luxury watch when the prices aren't going up. This will be a big, and well-needed shakeup and hopefully return some sanity to the secondary market. For the longterm, that's a good thing. The pre-owned market is still going to grow over the coming years - but the craziness of the past 18-24 months is unsustainable.

14 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Are there Patek's even available at ADs?

Not if you don't have a history. Same with the AP RO and VC Overseas. You might be able to get lesser models within a reasonable time frame and start building a buying history though.

I'm not overly interested in those anyways, except the Overseas is just a phenomenal watch. But I feel like you get more for your money with independent brands now. Hand finishing quality, innovation, and the opportunity to develop a relationship with the brand and even the person who actually makes your watch. 

I'd personally go with a Parmigiani Fleurier, Laurent Ferrier, Gronenfeld, Moser, or Czapek before the name brands. You don't get the name prestige, if that matters. But you get the same or better watch. Although those are getting hard to source as well as they have gained in popularity over the past couple years and production that is a fraction of PP/AP/VC.

23 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I’m waiting on the Swatch / Omegas to come back. The Swatch website said these are not limited editions, so hopefully production ramps up.

They are restocked in store on occasion, but the stores don't know when they are scheduled. You just have to show up or call.  Last week the Northpark Dallas store had the pink ones in stock, but had sold out of everything else again. 

Here you go, the NC watches. The 2006 Rose Bowl gave out kind of a crappy Endura, so I included the 2005 Big XII CG Seiko, which is pretty cool. 
Texas has been lucky in that they got some pretty cool watches for the NCs. Later, I’ll post a pic of a bunch on non-Texas NC watches. Basically, a bunch of Hamiltons and Elgins

685A275E-B3EE-49B4-A224-E8A0381A319A.jpeg

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I took out a addendum on my homeowners policy.  Problem is I can’t replace the watches based on what I insured them for and what the crazy prices are now for the same watches.

You can adjust the value.  It may require an appraisal depending on the company.

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I took out a addendum on my homeowners policy.  Problem is I can’t replace the watches based on what I insured them for and what the crazy prices are now for the same watches.

I have a rider on my homeowners for Rolex and golf clubs