The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

15 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I have a random itch for a Daytona but there is no chance I am paying above MSRP for it.  For you aficionados, when do you think this will calm down.  

It's already calming down.  Here's an example from chrono24's price performance model if you scroll down.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/submariner-date--id23904498.htm

The same downward tick can be seen across almost every rolex model.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/rolex-gmt-master-ii-rootbeer-mint-2022-box--card--id24115343.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/sea-dweller-stainless-steel-oyster-deepsea-blue-index-dial-watch-116660--id22719425.htm

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/1989-l-serial-rolex-daytona-zenith-inverted-6-champagne-diamond-16523-gold-watch--id23722119.htm

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Watchcharts.com also has good price history sifted from all the popular classifieds

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

do most here have a fancy autowinder or just set the watch when they wear it?  was thinking of picking one up mainly to keep the day/date and moon phase correct if i don't wear it for a while.

I really wanted a combo gun/watch safe with auto winders but prices got out of hand quickly on the ones I looked at. Still looking for a decent option for the watches also.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's some debate on whether a winder is better for a watch as it keeps the mechanicals moving and wearing. I get it for a moon phase or perpetual calendar where setting it is a pain in the ass. Otherwise I'm of the opinion it's less wear and tear to let the watch stop.

• Hook 'Em 2

appreciate the insight.  in my limited reading on the subject of winders, i came away with the opinion that as long as you are getting the regularly scheduled  maintenance on the watch, winders should be ok.  if after many many years the oil finally dries up and the watch is still cranking away on a winder, there might be some damage occurring.  

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

as long as you are getting the regularly scheduled  maintenance on the watch, winders should be ok.   

I don't use winders and I don't get maintenance on my watches unless and until something stops working.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

anybody had a watch serviced at martinez & hood in austin?

I have.  Good folks.  Broke one of the pushers caps on my DSOTM and thought it was going to have to go back to geneva to fix and take months.  Took it to Martinez and Hood and they had me in and out in about 30 mins and fixed free of charge.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

1 hour ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I have.  Good folks.  Broke one of the pushers caps on my DSOTM and thought it was going to have to go back to geneva to fix and take months.  Took it to Martinez and Hood and they had me in and out in about 30 mins and fixed free of charge.

they've had my watch for over a month and haven't touched it yet due to the number of watches they have in for repair.

the kicker: the watchmaker works 3.5 hours per day.

what the actual fuck?

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like a great gig. That sucks. 

i called yesterday to check in at 3:15, dude that answered said 'Nope, he works from 11:30-3:00 Monday-Friday' and I responded 'well shit, how do I get that job?'

but honestly, what the fuck?

i'm kind of wondering if that's a smokescreen so he can keep his head down the rest of the day and not be talking to yahoos like me all day?

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt

1 hour ago, Goofyboy said:

Are stores getting more in? Are they easier to find now?

Still hit or miss.  I just happened to be at the Northpark Center in Dallas today.  They only had Saturn but they said they had quite a few of them.  The guy in front of me was already buying one and the two that walked in after me were getting them too.  Workers said that shipments are pretty random as far as what day they get them and which ones they get.  Luckily for me, Saturn was my second choice.  I asked about Pluto and they laughed and said that's the one everyone seems to want.

• Like 1

Decided to swap a couple of watches that I rarely, if ever, wear anymore. Went through Watchfinder and am getting rid of my IWC Aquatimer Darwin Edition and Girard Perregeaux Richeville Chrono. I’m getting the IWC Top Gun and Tudor Black Bay GMT Coke, plus a bit of cash back. There’s a fair amount of watch theft in London these days, so I was looking for a few to wear more often while giving the Vacheron Overseas and Audemars RO a bit more rest.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec2f6ea02329ae9ee176ae89c294b541.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d5999883846599ef9d882509a2d6ef2c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 4:21 PM, speed817 said:

Was finally able to snag one....

image.thumb.jpeg.80a19375848c06c3ae0f94f312559d44.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f987f610cbddfef892cfdc0e8b737985.jpeg

Nice. I want one, but can't get off my ass to drive down to the Galleria and deal with the traffic and the off chance they might have one in the store.  I am still waiting for them to be sold by swatch online.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Nice. I want one, but can't get off my ass to drive down to the Galleria and deal with the traffic and the off chance they might have one in the store.  I am still waiting for them to be sold by swatch online.

I call the store often, but the one time they told me they had some over teh phone, by the time I was able to get there a few hours later, they were gone. fuckers. 

1 minute ago, speed817 said:

$260 at the store.  I wouldn't pay any more than retail.

awesome. yeah it's one of those that doesn't make sense to pay a premium for since it's not going to be a limited run but it's so cool looking.  congrats on the snag, imo saturn's the best looking one.

Pulled the trigger on another Marathon. Picked up a GSAR Anthracite (black). Any recommendations for a local jeweler or watch shop in Houston that I can take into to get sized/remove links? It's got double screws seated in loctite.

I could do it myself, but don't have the tools. I searched Google and came across the "little watch shop", open to recommendations.d9d1b6b6d6ea56728248b30bbee3911f.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:

Pulled the trigger on another Marathon. Picked up a GSAR Anthracite (black). Any recommendations for a local jeweler or watch shop in Houston that I can take into to get sized/remove links? It's got double screws seated in loctite.

I could do it myself, but don't have the tools. I searched Google and came across the "little watch shop", open to recommendations. 

They are great. 

http://littlewatchshop.com

Edited by topochico
  • Like 2

On 7/5/2022 at 10:55 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Decided to swap a couple of watches that I rarely, if ever, wear anymore. Went through Watchfinder and am getting rid of my IWC Aquatimer Darwin Edition and Girard Perregeaux Richeville Chrono. I’m getting the IWC Top Gun and Tudor Black Bay GMT Coke, plus a bit of cash back. There’s a fair amount of watch theft in London these days, so I was looking for a few to wear more often while giving the Vacheron Overseas and Audemars RO a bit more rest.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec2f6ea02329ae9ee176ae89c294b541.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.d5999883846599ef9d882509a2d6ef2c.jpeg

These two arrived today. In great condition and feeling very good about the swap with the others I no longer wore. 726A3FAD-815E-47BE-8033-E6BBA86EBB0A.thumb.jpeg.fc7334f7203f3c4dcd3784f118348662.jpegAADBF015-CB33-4713-B582-2E1619923088.thumb.jpeg.2930956d408643adfdf9791d67922f17.jpeg

Any suggestions for a shop in Austin that will (1) service a late 90's era submariner (it runs when you pick it up and start moving it but the dial won't turn the hands to set it) and (2) replace the face (i guess that's the crystal?) on a vintage (60s i think) Air-King (cracked when it got dropped on a hard floor).  thank you