The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 7/26/2022 at 9:08 AM, Gale Snoats said:

Any suggestions for a shop in Austin that will (1) service a late 90's era submariner (it runs when you pick it up and start moving it but the dial won't turn the hands to set it) and (2) replace the face (i guess that's the crystal?) on a vintage (60s i think) Air-King (cracked when it got dropped on a hard floor).  thank you  

Any Rolex AD should be able to help.  

On 7/19/2022 at 8:03 PM, cabowabo said:

Fedex dropped this off today. IWC Le Petit Prince Chrono IW377714.9339a71d6f85efe9fa0dd6885416fdf5.jpg

I think I’m going to pick up one of these but not sure which.  There are different versions - chrono, pilot, etc.  if I may ask - why did you choose that one?  Pilot knob too big?

1 hour ago, CoTex said:

I think I’m going to pick up one of these but not sure which.  There are different versions - chrono, pilot, etc.  if I may ask - why did you choose that one?  Pilot knob too big?

I considered a Big Pilot 43, but those are about $2k over what I paid for this 377714. There are also the 41mm Pilot chronos which are about $1k over what I paid. Those have the in house movements, display case back, and quick change strap system. The whole in house movement isn’t a huge deal for me, and I’m pretty good with a spring bar tool, so the quick change strap system isn’t a big deal to me. Plus, you have to buy IWC’s overpriced straps to take advantage of that. This 377714 is 43mm and on the verge of being to big for my wrist, but Pilot watches are supposed to be larger. The dial on this thing really pops.  I’ve also added a strap with rivets to give it the more pilot watch style look.  

Interestingly, I went into the Rolex store about 5 months ago and they didn't have any actual watches on the floor - just displays. I talked with the lady for a while and expressed some interest in a few of the less popular models like the Yachtmaster and Explorer II (I don't really have any interest in Submariners). Didn't put my name on the list or anything, just talked with her for half an hour. She suggested I buy some jewelry or a Tudor, neither of which I'm interested in.

They called me out of the blue yesterday. I was in a meeting and didn't take the call, but I'm wondering if they actually got something in or if it is just a courtesy call. I know the market is slowing down, but since I didn't even put my name on the list for anything, I wasn't expecting a call. I guess I'll call them back today and see.

For anyone interested in Independent brands and bespoke timepieces, here's an article about one of my favorite brands, Holthinrichs.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/strap-check-my-bespoke-holthinrichs-ornament-on-a-beige-kaufmann-alligator-strap/

Also, if you're interested in Independent watch brands, shoot me a message. @immamac has been helping me set up a forum specifically for small independent watch brands. I'm getting close to launching it, but could use some beta testers.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the recommendation to Martinez and Hood.  I took all of my watches and decided to drop about $2k on repairs.  The turned me down on working on my Omega though.   I guess it has to go to Switzerland or somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/29/2022 at 9:44 AM, Elvis said:

Thanks for the recommendation to Martinez and Hood.  I took all of my watches and decided to drop about $2k on repairs.  The turned me down on working on my Omega though.   I guess it has to go to Switzerland or somewhere.

Oh my god I want to cry.

What omega did they turn down? And why did they not repair it?

Cartier Roadster XL running fast and ding in the case from me running into the granite countertop.  $525

Tag 17 skeleton back just quit and needs a new band $1100

Citizen daily beater needs a new crystal after 15 years. $50 I think

Cheap Seiko upgrade from buckle to deployment clasp $50 I think. 

Omega Planet Ocean chrono was purchased from Bernard. It was running slow and they attempted repair under warranty 2 or 3 times.  The problem persists. John at M&H said I should call Swatch Group at this point.  Can’t blame him on that can of worms.  It’s a super complicated watch.  

On 7/28/2022 at 8:02 AM, HoustonHorn said:

She suggested I buy some jewelry or a Tudor, neither of which I'm interested in.

Have a coworker who is on the quest for a Daytona and that's the message he has been getting.  buy some jewelry and that might improve your odds.  and this is a dealer he has purchased a Rolex with before.

3 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

Have a coworker who is on the quest for a Daytona and that's the message he has been getting.  buy some jewelry and that might improve your odds.  and this is a dealer he has purchased a Rolex with before.

My cousin is an authorized Rolex dealer and he finally sold me one after 3 years of asking.  He always tells me you need to "build a relationship" with your AD meaning buy a lot of jewelry, other watch brands and not highly sought-after models of Rolex and then they will sell you the good models.  Daytona will be the hardest to get actually but any stainless-steel Rolex is going to be tough (Daytona's, GMT's, Submariners).  

11 hours ago, midtown said:

Is it because the Rolex market is dropping so he's happy to be able to sell you a watch?

Was this post to me?  If so, I don’t think so as the GMT “root beer” he sold me is still hard to get and people are still on a 2-3 year waiting lists for this model.  It also still trades for way more than the retail price with grey dealers. 

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Was this post to me?  If so, I don’t think so as the GMT “root beer” he sold me is still hard to get and people are still on a 2-3 year waiting lists for this model.  It also still trades for way more than the retail price with grey dealers. 

Guess it boils down to the model and how many you plan to purchase. A one or two time hit at 5k premium on a sub or GMT can probably be managed (logically) if those are the two watches you want for the next 20 years.  If you’re buying every couple years and looking for the trophy, gotta buy a few more you don’t care for.  Guess you just low key flip those.  That’s a good looking GMT btw, very nice.  

On 8/1/2022 at 9:56 PM, midtown said:

Is it because the Rolex market is dropping so he's happy to be able to sell you a watch?

Lol.  No.  It’s still quite literally impossible to walk into any AD and get a Daytona.  Heading to nyc to scoop another piece from my AD next weekend. I still don’t see prices anywhere close to retail.  The downturn is greatly exaggerated.  

• Rage+1 1

Merge?!

edit: alas no merge.  Meant to add making a weekend of it and heading to nyc because they rarely ship now.  Rolex prefers you going and picking up in person.  Beggars can’t be choosers. Patek hasn’t even opened up their list again to take names.  What a world.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

38 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  No.  It’s still quite literally impossible to walk into any AD and get a Daytona.  Heading to nyc to scoop another piece from my AD next weekend. I still don’t see prices anywhere close to retail.  The downturn is greatly exaggerated.  

Hey, you should ask your AD to get me a Daytona.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I just saw an article yesterday that Swiss watch revenue is up like 10% YOY

I've been wanting to add a Panerai to the collection for years now. I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a gently used one once I find one I love. If anyone happens to see a Luminor 44mm in good shape, let me know.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, JSB said:

I've been wanting to add a Panerai to the collection for years now. I'm finally going to pull the trigger on a gently used one once I find one I love. If anyone happens to see a Luminor 44mm in good shape, let me know.

Check Chrono 24.  Looks like there are over 300 for sale in the US.

5 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Check Chrono 24.  Looks like there are over 300 for sale in the US.

Chrono charges the dealer $ and I think you end up paying sales tax.  Find the make/model you want and see if you can find the dealer based off info on chrono24 and see if you can contact direct.  That's how i found my GMT II, got cheaper than chrono24 and no sales tax.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JSB said:

watchrecon.com

Buy from a private seller on the forums and save on the dealer (or EBay/Chrono24} markup and sales tax. 

Edited by cabowabo

On 6/29/2022 at 3:28 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

do most here have a fancy autowinder or just set the watch when they wear it?  was thinking of picking one up mainly to keep the day/date and moon phase correct if i don't wear it for a while.

Old post, but my watch repair guy says stay away from autowinders.  I don't question him because he'd probably bore me to death with a 15 minute explanation.  But I've decided based on my experience with him working on my watches that he knows what he's talking about.

Now, bear in mind that my watches that he's serviced are 60+ years old.  So maybe he was saying that with regard to the antique stuff.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

How about some gangster history?  Bugsy Siegels Audemars Piguet.

BENJAMIN BUGSY SIEGEL: AUDEMARS PIGUET GENEVE WATCH (julienslive.com)

Same auction also has several gangster guns and guns from George Custer/Little Bighorn.

they had me in the first half not gonna lie

An Audemars Piguet Geneve wristwatch that was gifted from Bugsy Siegel's wife Esta to her son-in-law, Jack Rosen.

On 7/27/2022 at 10:51 PM, cabowabo said:

I considered a Big Pilot 43, but those are about $2k over what I paid for this 377714. There are also the 41mm Pilot chronos which are about $1k over what I paid. Those have the in house movements, display case back, and quick change strap system. The whole in house movement isn’t a huge deal for me, and I’m pretty good with a spring bar tool, so the quick change strap system isn’t a big deal to me. Plus, you have to buy IWC’s overpriced straps to take advantage of that. This 377714 is 43mm and on the verge of being to big for my wrist, but Pilot watches are supposed to be larger. The dial on this thing really pops.  I’ve also added a strap with rivets to give it the more pilot watch style look.  

I have the older version of this model (3777).  The 43mm isnt the issue for me it's the 15.5mm height.  Still a very handsome watch.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, JSB said:

My impulsiveness won out. I bought a PAM 359. Should have it in 3-5 business days.  Clearly not my pic, but I dig it.

Gorgeous.  I never thought I would be into them, but lately they are growing on me.  I want a matte green dial model I saw online...."verde milatire"....of course it's a limited edition of like 500. 

• Like 1

I have the older version of this model (3777).  The 43mm isnt the issue for me it's the 15.5mm height.  Still a very handsome watch.
The on my Spitfire is incredible. Bought the watch 5+ years ago and it is still one of the very best bracelets I have. Only the GO 70s tops it. Helps to have the on the fly Microadjust to keep it kind of snug since it is a tall watch.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk