The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
Still trying to figure out why you made this post, or why it matters to you?

Because I love you. Also because if someone is talking about buying a $50k Nautilus I need to be prepared with the proper amount of jealousy 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Edited by Cosimo de' Medici
  • Haha 1

Currently own a Tag Aquaracer that I love. 7 years old and never a problem. Looking for a leather band watch and can’t quite figure out what I want. Not looking to break the bank (more on that later). 

Thoughts on the following:

https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h64715545.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$500+-+1000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0P2fjeKT3QIVjgBpCh1O0weAEAkYASABEgITwPD_BwE

https://www.spinnaker-watches.com/products/sp-5055-05

if anyone has any other suggestions in the under $700 range, I’m all ears. Must have sapphire and must be automatic. I am rough on my watches  

Now the later, saving up for this one  

https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-215-30-44-22-01-001.html

thanks in advance 

On 8/26/2018 at 1:00 AM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Alright folks, want your input here. Thinking about the next piece to add to the collection (or two depending on price) and want some input from the group because I’m struggling to decide.

Currently have the following:

44cb0e565690c20b349eaedcd27e30e4.jpgc8d407aa06ae3d9a52007829ebda215b.jpgc1714676c941f74fe77af75f5dec5698.jpgd0938aae0983a0596eec81794d3b2501.jpg

Here’s what’s on my mind lately. Thoughts? Anything I’m missing and should consider?

6da1d95aad9d3ab3f592989a46a09e36.jpg8b20c5fd0e8766a43cfbf031ff88c9dc.jpg7959ea31a6834f01857db6b10e043a23.jpg9ec07ea847c31d310a6848001f40d814.jpga02a1cc552edabb3b6fc42b1067d2e8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have more money than taste?

• Haha 1

Gold looks good on leather/croc.  

Gold bracelet (for men) or gold on rubber seems gauche.  There are some exceptions. the IWC posted above is ok, and a gold aquanaut is obviously cool on rubber.  But generally a no go.   

That IWC Aquatimer is bronze not gold.

49 minutes ago, G650 said:

There's few pieces more classic than an all gold Day Date 

On a woman, sure.  If you are Jack Nicklaus, cool.  On a man over 60, ok.  On a younger guy the all gold seems pretentious to me. 

In my old firm there was a guy in his 40s that sported an all gold rolex and people would joke about how pretentious it looked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Negative Ghost Rider.

You are more than welcome not to like them. They are absolutely a classic though, that's not in dispute. With a good argument to the single most the most classic watch in fact, with everyone from LBJ to Jimmy Johnson to Jennifer Aniston wearing them. Also Wilsdorfs last watch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/yjeanmundelsalle/2016/01/01/known-as-the-presidents-watch-the-iconic-rolex-oyster-perpetual-day-date-has-been-given-a-makeover/#2346d5e1d64e

President-Johnson-Rolex-President.jpg

Jimmy-Johnson-Rolex-President-Dallas-Cow

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

You are more than welcome not to like them. They are absolutely a classic though, that's not in dispute. With a good argument to the single most the most classic watch in fact, with everyone from LBJ to Jimmy Johnson to Jennifer Aniston wearing them. Also Wilsdorfs last watch.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/yjeanmundelsalle/2016/01/01/known-as-the-presidents-watch-the-iconic-rolex-oyster-perpetual-day-date-has-been-given-a-makeover/#2346d5e1d64e

President-Johnson-Rolex-President.jpg

Jimmy-Johnson-Rolex-President-Dallas-Cow

It's all different strokes for different folks. Not a Rolex fan.

If I'm wearing a gold watch its an IWC, Patek or a Lange, anything that doesn't look like a dive watch at all. The exception being a rose gold Big Bang, which is a brand I believe you don't like.

On 8/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Now the catch on my antique pocket watch has given up the ghost, and the case keeps popping open.

There's one real watch repairer left in town, and I don't trust him to do it right.

I guess now it's a Sit on the Shelf and Tick tiny clock instead.

What town?  I've got a local guy if you don't mind shipping it or driving.  He'll keep it forever, but if it can be fixed, he'll do it right for a fair price and explain what he's doing way more than any reasonable person would want to know. 

• Like 1

There's a difference between being a classic and being currently fashionable.  An all gold date just or day date is about as classic as luxury watches go.  It's also not a particularly fashionable watch right now for millennials and Gen X. It's your grandfather's watch.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

There's a difference between being a classic and being currently fashionable.  An all gold date just or day date is about as classic as luxury watches go.  It's also not a particularly fashionable watch right now for millennials and Gen X. It's your grandfather's watch.

Pretty much. I know a lot of Gen Xer's that have them though. One of my customers project managers wears one. He's late 40's, always in khakis, button down shirt. Gold Day Date is just about the exact watch you'd think that kind of person would have on.

9 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Not all quartz watches are cheapos.

L_9ianix_EUZk_D62_U0j8on_MDj_FAh_DG0_Uk0

And I also think this watch supports the point above about gold bracelets.  I find few opportunities where it feels appropriate to wear it.  It has sentimental value among other value.  Every other watch I own (other than the super reliable Seiko) has gotten a leather band in the last few years.

Edited by dcbc

Just now, dcbc said:

And I also think this watch supports the point above about gold bracelets.  I find few opportunities where it feels appropriate to wear it.  It has sentimental value among other value.

I'm in the minority, but I don't like AP RO bracelets at all no matter what the metal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Money can’t buy taste

I agree.  See above.  And I think the same goes for the current crop of oversized Flava Flav watch dials.  I assume they came with a free bowl of soup.

That's my personal preference obviously. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, dcbc said:

I don't disagree.  This was the last watch my dad owned.  That's why I keep it. 

Oh, I'm with you there. I have a quartz TAG my mom got me that I don't really wear, but I always keep it because of the sentimental value (there's a whole back story behind it). I bought an Omega when my son was born to give him when he turns either 18 or 21, haven't decided yet.

• Like 1

My first watch purchase was a stainless steel quartz F1, 38mm purchased from Little Switzerland in St. Barths many years ago. I don't wear it any more, but keep it strictly for sentimental reasons.

I've bought a few watches after finishing particularly satisfying design projects thru the years.  Bonuses so to speak..... no quartzes .....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

My first watch purchase was a stainless steel quartz F1, 38mm purchased from Little Switzerland in St. Barths many years ago. I don't wear it any more, but keep it strictly for sentimental reasons.

That's what I have.

15 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

On a woman, sure.  If you are Jack Nicklaus, cool.  On a man over 60, ok.  On a younger guy the all gold seems pretentious to me. 

In my old firm there was a guy in his 40s that sported an all gold rolex and people would joke about how pretentious it looked. 

Platinum mofos, platinum.

52 minutes ago, G650 said:

Pretty much. I know a lot of Gen Xer's that have them though. One of my customers project managers wears one. He's late 40's, always in khakis, button down shirt. Gold Day Date is just about the exact watch you'd think that kind of person would have on.

Nah, 18k/SS Datejust Jubilee.  I know some rich thought- and taste-less mofos that have no interest in watches and that is their huckleberry.  The only Day Date I can think of is platinum and I think he gave it some thought.  The all gold Day Date is a boomer watch.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

What town?  I've got a local guy if you don't mind shipping it or driving.  He'll keep it forever, but if it can be fixed, he'll do it right for a fair price and explain what he's doing way more than any reasonable person would want to know. 

Thanks! Birmingham. This was a false alarm, though-- was not the catch's fault, rather somehow the glass got loose a little and was preventing a snug case closing. Probably my fault, getting to know this 130+ year old creature.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

Thanks! Birmingham. This was a false alarm, though-- was not the catch's fault, rather somehow the glass got loose a little and was preventing a snug case closing. Probably my fault, getting to know this 130+ year old creature.

Cool.  I've got my grandad's late 1800s (presumably) pocket watch as well.  Not in nearly as good of condition as yours and not functioning unfortunately. 

Nah, 18k/SS Datejust Jubilee.  I know some rich thought- and taste-less mofos that have no interest in watches and that is their huckleberry.  The only Day Date I can think of is platinum and I think he gave it some thought.  The all gold Day Date is a boomer watch.
Jubilee is for old folks. Screams grandpa to me.