The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

In fun news, Tag Heuer x Mario Kart. I find this hilarious and thought it was April Fools at first. I love the game and I love them leaning into the quirk - the date wheel simulating the random slot machine powerup spin in game is perfect.

https://www.tagheuer.com/us/en/new-tag-heuer-mario-kart-watches-limited-edition/mariokart.html

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/here-we-go-tag-heuer-floors-it-with-two-mario-kart-formula-1-les-including-a-super-mario-tourbillon

The date wheel has the power star, purple shell, banana, and mushroom on a few dates, so they "spin" by as the days pass.

173726279_datewheel.thumb.jpg.dea1b2fcb6ae0ad249732bc8b3d95a8a.jpg

Rotor is karts.

rotor.thumb.jpg.541b8778b267dd5d2c11e7ec256457fc.jpg

They even made one a tourbillon (wtf lol).

tourbillon.thumb.jpg.438696011954cdbcfbaccc52698c87da.jpg

Chrono is 4.3k, tourbillon is 25.6k (cough). Limited to 3000pc and 250pc respectively.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, midtown said:

So it looks like the luxury watch market is really turning over.   I'd looked at getting another Breitling about 6 mths ago and it was insane.  Now there are used Breitlings all over the place and very reasonable 3-5k.    

I feel like there will be some crazy deals on barely used watches when the ADs have stock available. Can’t wait. 

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Quick question folks…I’ve got a scuff above the 50 marker that won’t come out with a normal soap wash…

what should I use to try and get it out?

D57ECEA3-7853-40DE-82FE-9B125B5112B4.jpeg

You talking about on the crystal?  If so, polywatch on that hesalite crystal.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, cabowabo said:

You talking about on the crystal?  If so, polywatch on that hesalite crystal.  

I have a huge gash on a Seiko Turtle and the polywatch did zip/zero/nada.  It looks like I was trying to engrave my name on it like the Stanley Cup though.

YMMV

On 11/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, midtown said:

So it looks like the luxury watch market is really turning over.   I'd looked at getting another Breitling about 6 mths ago and it was insane.  Now there are used Breitlings all over the place and very reasonable 3-5k.    

Everything except the one I've been waiting for, it appears.  Seadweller 116600.   Bunch of the other stuff is dropping rather quickly.  

27 minutes ago, midtown said:

The crypto bros should be dumping their Rolexes now.  

I’m not a crypto bro but been in dive industry or adjacent for a long time. Always liked them, even with the basic bitch Rolex tag.  But limited year production of a classic always keeps the price up on it.  Idgaf about collector value (though many do) as it would be a keeper. 

On 10/17/2022 at 6:25 PM, gsoda3 said:

if anyone's looking for moonswatches i have a few extras i picked up in SF last week.  i have mission to earth, the sun, venus, and uranus.  $350 each, i can meet you in austin or i can ship them to you if you pay shipping.  i think it's under $10 shipped with insurance although not positive.    

you still have the uranus?

So my first kid is due in a few weeks, and I’m taking it as an excuse to get a watch to keep warm for him for the next 18 years or so.

I’ve toyed around with a Rolex OP or Explorer I (I have a line on some from a buddy’s dealer), or an Omega Aqua Terra. Maybe a used Submariner if I got lucky on price (trying to stay under $10K). I have some hesitation on the Rolexes because of the stigma they carry at work (I say that without judgment, as I do like the ones I listed above, particularly the Sub and Explorer). 

While trying on watches today, the one that jumped out, surprisingly, was the Moonwatch. I’ve never really been attracted to it on paper. I just assumed it would be way too big and busy, but it seemed to wear smaller than many 38s I’ve tried.

Obviously this is a super common watch, but what are folks’ thoughts? Too big? Too ubiquitous? I might have thought it too casual for a suit pre-pandemic, but I rarely one anymore. Others that I’m not thinking of?

5A0FAA51-D74E-4B67-8F3D-179ABBDAEF2B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 3:52 PM, midtown said:

I dunno.  I stopped in at 2 different Rolex boutiques in Scotland just to see what they had in stock.  One of them had exactly zero watches for sale.  They had display models that were apparently not for sale.  The other one had 2 31mm Datejusts for sale.  That's it.

2 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

So my first kid is due in a few weeks, and I’m taking it as an excuse to get a watch to keep warm for him for the next 18 years or so.

I’ve toyed around with a Rolex OP or Explorer I (I have a line on some from a buddy’s dealer), or an Omega Aqua Terra. Maybe a used Submariner if I got lucky on price (trying to stay under $10K). I have some hesitation on the Rolexes because of the stigma they carry at work (I say that without judgment, as I do like the ones I listed above, particularly the Sub and Explorer). 

While trying on watches today, the one that jumped out, surprisingly, was the Moonwatch. I’ve never really been attracted to it on paper. I just assumed it would be way too big and busy, but it seemed to wear smaller than many 38s I’ve tried.

Obviously this is a super common watch, but what are folks’ thoughts? Too big? Too ubiquitous? I might have thought it too casual for a suit pre-pandemic, but I rarely one anymore. Others that I’m not thinking of?

Moonwatch is a great watch and you've run into one of the most important things in buying a watch - find something that speaks to you.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I would discourage you from buying used when making a deliberately sentimental purchase intended to memorialize a milestone. 

"This watch is the same age as you, Woodcocklet. I bought it when you were born, and I've been taking care of it for you all this time. Wear it in good health!" is a lot different than "Here's a watch that some other dude got tired of, and then I had it for a while, and now it's yours." 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Obviously this is a super common watch, but what are folks’ thoughts? Too big? Too ubiquitous? I might have thought it too casual for a suit pre-pandemic, but I rarely one anymore.

Too awesome? There's a reason they are popular. And you can make a hell of a meaningful collection just in Moonwatches.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

No disrespect to the moonwatch but I’d go with the Rolex OP or Explorer I. Elegant perfection that never go out of style. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, HamsterHookah said:

What is the best place to get the best commercial deal on a decent watch? I don't want to pay retail. Any good little internet honeypots you watch fanatics have come across?

Think I bought my Tag on Jomashop about 15 years ago.  If you want pre-owned I like phigora out of new york - no sales tax.  Think bunch have bought off Bob's as well.

You ain't getting a factory warranty on Jomashop or many of the other big grey market dealers.  There are many legit sellers on the various watch forums that sell unworn watches with the factory warranty included.  Search on watchrecon.com

What particular timepiece are you looking at?

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

You ain't getting a factory warranty on Jomashop or many of the other big grey market dealers.  There are many legit sellers on the various watch forums that sell unworn watches with the factory warranty included.  Search on watchrecon.com

What particular timepiece are you looking at?

Defer to this for new.  

For example, here is a brand new Seamaster with factory warranty shipped with no sales tax.  And I'll bet you could actually get it for less by making him an offer.  There are plenty of others like this guy who you should have no reservations about dealing with.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=883862

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cabowabo said:

For example, here is a brand new Seamaster with factory warranty shipped with no sales tax.  And I'll bet you could actually get it for less by making him an offer.  There are plenty of others like this guy who you should have no reservations about dealing with.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=883862

That's a fantastic example of what sort of "grey market" I'm looking for as you called it-- but this is even better with the papers.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:48 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

No disrespect to the moonwatch but I’d go with the Rolex OP or Explorer I. Elegant perfection that never go out of style. 

Keeping the Moonwatch on my buy list, but decided to go this route for this particular occasion. Talked to a few ADs here in Manhattan, and it seems like a 6 month wait for these models unless a guy like @ChiTownDoc puts in a good word. Not the most sought after like Daytonas, GMTs or Subs, so I’m hopeful. 

4 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

I understand that Rolex is getting into the “Rolex certified used watches” market through their AD’s?

If they pull it off I see two entirely separate markets for pre owned Rolex’s.

Looks like the watches that are being offered in the program are much higher than the normal grey market prices.  Not sure if this will really take off with true watch collectors / afficionados