The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

On 4/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

^^^ yep that would be the one.  I've been in touch with an AD and he's told me there are still some around.  I really like the contrast of the dial and number font.  Plus it checks a couple of other boxes for my collection rules.  Here's a couple examples of other Sinn pieces I dig but dials are the wrong color.

Sinn 箱・保証書付き【Sinn】ジン 6110 スモールセコンド 6110.4N 自動巻き メンズ【中古】【ev20】 for $1,368 for sale from a Seller on Chrono24

Sinn REGULATEUR Ref-6100-Klassik-4N Stainless Steel Box Bj-2009 for $2,551 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

The 6100 came in a bunch of colors. I had a blue on silver, which I eventually sold as the sizing was a big large for me. 

If you like the style Chronoswiss makes a bunch too. 

On 4/11/2023 at 10:22 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Tell us more about your collection and its rules…?

Just my weirdness, but here goes.  1.  No quartz.  2 No repeat colors.  Navy and Tiffany blue OK.  Two navy is a no go.  3 No repeat brands.  I'm not out for a pissing contest, if I see it and it's 300 (or ?) bux and I like it, I'll pull the trigger.  It's not a money thing, brand thing, complication, or size it's just personal choice of something I can live with.   Right now, I am looking for a black dress watch.  I'm also seeking a salmon.  Kinda got two choices on salmon.  I like the Axios Pathfinder and the Vario Empire. I'd be happy with either.  I'm usually pretty methodical about it.  I don't mind the wait.  I saved a link for a white Omega for a long time before I finally decided to get it.  Every time I went back to the link and viewed it I kept telling myself yep this is the one.  I did same with a Meistersinger once.  Except one day I went back to it and thought what am I thinking this is a pass.  For the record, I am not a surly 1 percenter, maybe a 10 percenter.  Just a dude who likes the artistry, precision and fascination of time.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The 6100 came in a bunch of colors. I had a blue on silver, which I eventually sold as the sizing was a big large for me. 

If you like the style Chronoswiss makes a bunch too. 

Thanks for the info.  I'll slide over and take a peek at the offerings.  Here's the thing about watches, they are like a city bus or pretty girl.  There's always another going to come by in a minute or two.  Pick the right girl and you're happy for life.  Pick the wrong girl and you'll become a philosopher.   

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RichUT said:

bef53e6dcb1095acf812911e67554e36.jpg

On an anniversary trip with the wife in Greece and finally took the plunge on a proper timepiece. I was expecting to pick up a Panerai but something about the timeless quality of this guy spoke to me.

Wear it in good health and spirits

bef53e6dcb1095acf812911e67554e36.jpg

On an anniversary trip with the wife in Greece and finally took the plunge on a proper timepiece. I was expecting to pick up a Panerai but something about the timeless quality of this guy spoke to me.
Nice watch. I've got the white dial one on today.
c9a7ab2a3f03f2e41277db3a44457ecd.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

Ordered an AnOrdain, and am quite impressed with the level of "custom" service on what is not that expensive a watch (~$1500). Tons of (much) more expensive mass market product that doesn't give this level of personalization.

On top of already being able to select multiple strap options prior to checkout, and offering custom engraving or map graphics engraving at no additional charge, here are the custom questions after order.

Even strap length choices are uncommon, but regulation to account for which wrist worn and storage position at night?? Unheard of:

So that we can tailor the watch to your specifications, could you please confirm:
  • your preferred strap length (please refer to our fitting guide)
  • which wrist the watch will be worn on (we will use this information to regulate the watch)
  • which position the watch will be stored in at night (for example, dial facing up)
  • the name of the wearer as you'd like it to appear in the certificate of authenticity
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Man, i really like the santos. Does Cartier use silicon in it's hairspring?

Have to admit that I had to use the Google to decipher this question.  Based on the age, I would say no.  Based on the accuracy of time keeping, I would say no.  It keeps good enough time, but not anything great.  It will get get off a minute or so every week.  It runs slightly fast, but not worth the time/cost.  I like it just the way it is.  Been wearing it a long time.  

My Squale 60 Atmospheres came in yesterday. I was worried 44mm would be too big for my girly wrists, but it fits nicely. Hard to capture the color effects of the Navy Blue dial, but it’s pretty sweet. Ordered it on the black rubber strap and also got the antique leather one. Might look for a Navy croc strap if I can find one dark enough. 

MATIC-DARK-BLUE-LEATHER_FACE.png

IMG_4832.thumb.jpeg.e7ccf2e83e0e3f0e170bfd273983101d.jpeg70534975353__B6C1877D-A93D-4BD5-9C4F-71F743221DE1.thumb.jpeg.8c276480c03c6e79843c633cfa7607ca.jpeg

IMG_4830.jpeg

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

So I should order a white rubber strap to wear with my shrimper boots in Seadrift?

Well, I am not going to sit here in my crocs and make fun of your crocs. Secondly, I have a watch I love, but can never force myself to pull the trigger. How can I poke fun at the guys actually out spending the cash? 

Ordered an AnOrdain, and am quite impressed with the level of "custom" service on what is not that expensive a watch (~$1500). Tons of (much) more expensive mass market product that doesn't give this level of personalization.
On top of already being able to select multiple strap options prior to checkout, and offering custom engraving or map graphics engraving at no additional charge, here are the custom questions after order.
Even strap length choices are uncommon, but regulation to account for which wrist worn and storage position at night?? Unheard of:
So that we can tailor the watch to your specifications, could you please confirm:
  • your preferred strap length (please refer to our fitting guide)
  • which wrist the watch will be worn on (we will use this information to regulate the watch)
  • which position the watch will be stored in at night (for example, dial facing up)
  • the name of the wearer as you'd like it to appear in the certificate of authenticity
Yep, love my anOrdain and it's a great value for the customization options available. I'm a huge fan of independent watchmaking.

If anyone in this thread likes independents, I've been building a community for independent watchmakers and enthusiasts. Still in the early stages but feel free to DM if you're interested.2023_0425_16075200 (3).jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, I am not going to sit here in my crocs and make fun of your crocs. Secondly, I have a watch I love, but can never force myself to pull the trigger. How can I poke fun at the guys actually out spending the cash? 

I have cousin Eddy version of crocs. White with a solid toe. 

Christmas Vacation GIF

• Haha 1

I like scratched face dials and I like the original Sinn U50 scratched face dial that came out a few years ago. But this dial looks like shit. Probably why he's selling it.

This is an ochs und junior with a scratched face dial. Much more even and subtle effect. It can be more pronounced in different lights but that Sinn is just a mess. Here's one of the originals, which I like.2023_0509_21464400 (1).jpgScreenshot_20230514_052115_Google.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Anybody up to date on Daytona's with the meteorite face?  I have an option for a new one at a stupid price but still way below what I can find online. A couple articles I read says they are coming down but not sure how it will impact the meteorite face since this is the last of them.  I have watched the panda since getting it and it seems to be down about 10% but nothing major.  Anybody paying attention to the market?

On 5/14/2023 at 5:23 PM, HoustonHorn said:

This is an ochs und junior .2023_0509_21464400 (1).jpg

Fuggin' love Ochs and Junior for the simplicity (low number of parts) with which they are able to add complications to a very basic movement, and how clever and clearly they display the complication. There isn't an easier to read complication face on the market. Results in a fairly "tall" movement, which is unfortunate for my small wrists, but as an engineer I'm a huge fan.

I need to grab a Rolex for a gift. The AD I’ve used for a couple purchases here in ATX said you can’t even order them like I had previously…choosing face, band, etc…and a few months later it was here.

I know the “shortage” is a bit nuts and the after market is big…just curious what sources any of y’all may have used for a Rolex recently? Chrono24? Any other places I should check out? Will want new.

TIA

\m/

26 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I need to grab a Rolex for a gift. The AD I’ve used for a couple purchases here in ATX said you can’t even order them like I had previously…choosing face, band, etc…and a few months later it was here.

I know the “shortage” is a bit nuts and the after market is big…just curious what sources any of y’all may have used for a Rolex recently? Chrono24? Any other places I should check out? Will want new.

TIA

\m/

If you have to have it, and you’re willing to pay for it, DavidSW and akatakuya are both online, reputable (in so far as you can have a good reputation while being part of the problem) and have supply. I’ve purchased two watches from the latter.  He’s in Houston.  Neither is shy about “surge” pricing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

TIA
\m/

Absolutely new or just mint with all boxes and papers? And what are you looking for specifically? I have a few contacts I can see if they can get one for you.

Takuya and David SW are definitely reputable. Chrono24 is worth looking around but they charge a fee to sellers so y may not be willing to drop as much knowing they are taking the hit. That said, if it's a company/dealer selling it they will indicate that at the bottom of the listing. Call them direct and they can avoid that fee.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Tailgate said:

TIA

\m/

which reference are you looking for?

On 5/22/2023 at 7:08 PM, Tailgate said:

TIA

\m/

What do you need?  I can get you pretty much whatever you want. It will have adm but better than any price you can find online. Take it to dm’s from here. 

I did run across one for my wife at a dealer this past weekend in Cabo. Was amazed they actually had a couple you could buy if they felt like selling to you.  

• Hook 'Em 1