The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Stumbled across this a few minutes ago, I thought there were some nice pieces to share.
Felipe Pikullik | Uhrmacher (felipe-pikullik.de)
I don't have one of his watches, but it's on the list. He does great work. Beautiful finishing.

Be careful though. If you stumbled across Felipe Pikulik then you're entering a whole new world of small independent brands. I hope you have a well paying gig.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

I think I asked this on the old site but any recs for repair of Rolex Sub (circa late 90's) in Austin?  It goes when you pick it up and move it around but the dial won't turn the arms or the date.  Thank you. 

I may have posted this on the old site but for my Sub I just drove up to Dallas and dropped it off at Rolex. It cost more but I have piece of mind that everything is correct.

Forgot to add - it your date range you may have the older tritium dial. Don't let them swap them for the newer Luminova

Edited by AUinHsv

Wasn't getting any feedback on Affordable Watches, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm replacing the movement in my SKX007. The original 7S26-0020 hasn't kept decent time ever, even after multiple recalibrations. I've picked up a NH36 (and new stem) to go in. Any recs on a place that can do this for me? In Austin.

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Apologies if already addressed, but anyone have any experience with Aera?  Their dive watch is on my radar and I'm looking to pick one up soon

image.png.627c3edcf1f7c4a527befc33354f2a15.pngimage.png.4ddea8002dc2f8ea5a4e2aec9e35cdf7.png

I don't hate them - nice case, quality movement etc, but tbh I don't see them as doing anything very different from the many other DTC brands popping up. Do you?

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I don't hate them - nice case, quality movement etc, but tbh I don't see them as doing anything very different from the many other DTC brands popping up. Do you?

Probably not - admittedly, I just like their looks for the price.  

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Apologies if already addressed, but anyone have any experience with Aera?  Their dive watch is on my radar and I'm looking to pick one up soon

image.png.627c3edcf1f7c4a527befc33354f2a15.pngimage.png.4ddea8002dc2f8ea5a4e2aec9e35cdf7.png

Just my personal opinion but I think there is way better out there for $1400.  Especially if you go with known grey market dealers like midtown etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/4/2023 at 12:11 PM, HoustonHorn said:

I don't have one of his watches, but it's on the list. He does great work. Beautiful finishing.

Be careful though. If you stumbled across Felipe Pikulik then you're entering a whole new world of small independent brands. I hope you have a well paying gig.

Agreed on the beauty of the craftsmanship.  My collection is nearly finished, and I have no intention of changing anything.  I'll have to pass on these, but I know some 1%ers here will pony up some bux for one. 

6 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think this is one of the sharpest dress watches I’ve ever seen.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=907506

image.thumb.jpeg.05093355af62a4afb1ee82070626efcb.jpeg

Beautiful Watch but I would not call it a dress watch.

The best men’s dress watches are lowkey, subtle timepieces that exude class and sophistication. Generally speaking, dress watches are meant to fly under the radar. They’re there to show you the time at a quick glance and nothing else, as it’s typically considered rude to be fiddling with a chronograph or GMT bezel during a posh event. A dress watch is typically worn on a high-quality black hide like alligator leather.R.0f74838d8f786b4b521a825ea7061a8f?rik=WZ7%2fh%2fiSfpsVqA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fstatic2.worldtempus.com%2fcache%2fproduct%2fb%2fu%2fbucherer-all-blue-jaeger-lecoultre-master-ultra-thin-date-or-rose_crop_w1600_h1600_217x318.jpg&ehk=Cu2dWvttcWCeooV3BtY3PnxF7m%2fxJEHl8gGsrFIVAOE%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0OIP.WAcHKvbQy-o1L3V9C7RNLQHaMG?pid=ImgDet&w=520&h=850&rs=1blob?bcid=rG9xdyH82NYFDQblob?bcid=rDiYz6W.RNYFPA

Thoughts on silicon hairsprings in modern mechanical watches?

It's becoming an issue for me as I expand my collection which is driving me towards smaller independents... I'd like to have a watch that can still be functional/serviceable 100 years from now.. putting silicon in them, might as well own a quartz watch... Even Patek is now using silicon... with most Richemont, Swatch Group, etc. having all switched over.

Modern Men's Rolexes (with the exception of the new dress watch released this year) are still using their parachrom bleu hairspring, but I suppose it's just a matter of time... I have one steel sports Rolex and even though they are mass produced, at least they are still attempting to be horologically sound timepieces... 

But, do y'all look that closely at the movements and horology when thinking about the next watch you purchase or is it just price/looks? I must admit, i'm a nerd on these kinds of things...

12 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Beauty @Mr. Drummond. I don't have any occasions to wear a dress watch so I really don't own a good one. But that's a great timepiece.

Yep, same with me, at my factory, i never need to put on a suit, 99% of the time you can't tell if i am going to play golf or going to work.   

i bought it when my oldest daughter was getting married as my other watches are big and bulky (Sea Dweller 43, IWC big pilot, Pam111 and a Speedy Tuesday reverse panda) So wanted one gold dress watch.    I have probably worn it 10 times.    During peak covid i picked it up from a guy who thought the world was ending and he had a loan on it.  I got it for a screaming deal.

I have fairly large wrists, so even the Lange is 40.5  which is fairly large for a true dress watch.

3 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

Yep, same with me, at my factory, i never need to put on a suit, 99% of the time you can't tell if i am going to play golf or going to work.   

i bought it when my oldest daughter was getting married as my other watches are big and bulky (Sea Dweller 43, IWC big pilot, Pam111 and a Speedy Tuesday reverse panda) So wanted one gold dress watch.    I have probably worn it 10 times.    During peak covid i picked it up from a guy who thought the world was ending and he had a loan on it.  I got it for a screaming deal.

I have fairly large wrists, so even the Lange is 40.5  which is fairly large for a true dress watch.

I need to find a desperate, heavily leveraged watch enthusiast.... props, that's an awesome find.

• Haha 1

I would like some opinions. This pic really doesn’t do the watch justice (it is next to my 1016 Explorer, for ref). The black dial looks terrific. It probably was made in 1947, is about 32mm, with 16mm spacing between lugs. 

What band/strap would you recommend? I think of it as a sports watch; so plain leather? Lizard can look so good, though. 

All opinions are welcome. 

87355FFB-949B-4FE6-BAAE-F467D975DB21.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, statsman said:

I would like some opinions. This pic really doesn’t do the watch justice (it is next to my 1016 Explorer, for ref). The black dial looks terrific. It probably was made in 1947, is about 32mm, with 16mm spacing between lugs. 

What band/strap would you recommend? I think of it as a sports watch; so plain leather? Lizard can look so good, though. 

All opinions are welcome. 

Love a 1016 Explorer. Navy/White NATO strap looks great on that watch. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

23 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Got the call yesterday! I have been on the list since end of last year when it was announced.  Seamaster Bond 60th anniversary.

The wave dial is like the original Goldeneye Seamaster and gorgeous in person. Finally added a blue dial to the collection. 

Getting used to the milanese strap. They threw in a free blue seamaster rubber strap and clasp also. 

The caseback has an animated moiré effect with a silhouette of Bond that walks out and points the gun. Not for everyone, but it's pretty clever and unique.  

It's not a numbered limited edition, but a low production like the Snoopys. Not sure if video posted. 

IMG_2104.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2122.jpeg

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2080.mov IMG_2125.mov

Love the look of that shark mesh bracelet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 11:54 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

But, do y'all look that closely at the movements and horology when thinking about the next watch you purchase or is it just price/looks? I must admit, i'm a nerd on these kinds of things...

90% aesthetics.