The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

If I were the snoopy on the moon watch, I'd go hide under the escapement. Why are they diluting one of the greatest watches of all time? A couple special editions are fine especially when they hold true to the primary origins of the watch but this.... Ugh.

It doesn't need to be accessible to everyone, it's a fucking moon watch! Shoot for the moon and all that.... Which apparently just requires a couple Benjamins and waiting in line. 

It's a no for me. Reddit saying they are past 75 people as of midnight and there are pictures showing people in line. The news was leaked before they were ready and even then the demand obviously caught them way off guard. They cut the number from 2 to 1 but otherwise there's been no time to respond to the crazy demand and increase inventory at stores.

For those reasons, I'm out.

Bangkok was a shitshow this morning. No clear numbers, but staff was clearly totally unprepared for the demand, lot of people stayed overnight, person fainted in line ahead of me, and then 30min before opening they canceled sales at all 3 boutiques and said they'd announce the new plan on social media. Half the crowd obviously didn't leave and rushed the store anyway, and arguments and staff announcements went on for hours after. Incredibly poorly handled.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:27 AM, HoustonHorn said:

Yes, I think you should do this.

That's a great looking watch.

Stopped by today, apparently it’s a summer release. I didn’t see that anywhere on the website, put my name down and we’ll see what comes up I guess. I kind of like the white face / brown leather one also after looking again.

Edited by Brew

Swatch has been eating it up and posting videos of all the crowds on their social media feeds.

So thankful for everyone showing up so we could fuck you over with an average of 75 watches in stock per store! Thank you!  More visits in one day than total in 10 years. So Blessed! 

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don’t get the moonswatch thing. It’s not a limited edition, right? Swatch is going to make a billion of them. 

That is my thought too.  The only limit I see would be how much Omega is willing to let them produce due to possible brand dilution concerns. In the Twitter post previously linked, Swatch stated that they would be available online later. 

38 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I don’t get the moonswatch thing. It’s not a limited edition, right? Swatch is going to make a billion of them. 

No shit.  One, they are not limited editions.  Two, they are piece of shit plastic watches.  I'd rather spend similar money on a nice G-Shock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Anyone that pays more for that marketing BS stunt than an actual moon watch should be forced to enlist as a conscript in the Russian "army". I'm all for getting more people into this hobby but not at the expense of the moon watch.

Yeah If you want a moon watch get a bulova chronograph you trendy motherfuckers

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

https://wristreview.com/introducing-the-oris-propilot-x-watches/

handsome. But for a very un-oris price tag. 4k? Big ooof. 

Disagree, you get a lot of watch for $4k. They are definitely moving upmarket with their pricing, but the new movement has a 5 day power reserve, 10 year warranty for service. Not many brands offering that. Oris was under priced when they were at <$2,500 and that was with the lesser movement. I'm also sure you'll be able to get them at 10-20% under retail. $3500 for that watch is not bad, imo. I love my Oris Great Barrier Reef - its a great watch and these Pro Pilots are very nice looking as well. Coin edge bezel is great. Plus they are an independent brand and do a lot to support enviro-friendly causes.

On 3/25/2022 at 9:02 PM, dieucla98 said:

If I were the snoopy on the moon watch, I'd go hide under the escapement. Why are they diluting one of the greatest watches of all time? A couple special editions are fine especially when they hold true to the primary origins of the watch but this.... Ugh.

It doesn't need to be accessible to everyone, it's a fucking moon watch! Shoot for the moon and all that.... Which apparently just requires a couple Benjamins and waiting in line. 

I actually the opposite and this does not dilute the Omega brand. With this watch at this price range, they are reaching out to a completely demographic than your typical Speedmaster owner.

I think people who buy this watch KNOW they are not buying a true moon watch. But some will eventually look at the inspiration behind the $260 watch. Look long enough and you’ll want it own one.

That’s been my behavior anyway behind some or the larger totally unnecessary toys in my life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

I actually the opposite and this does not dilute the Omega brand. With this watch at this price range, they are reaching out to a completely demographic than your typical Speedmaster owner.

I think people who buy this watch KNOW they are not buying a true moon watch. But some will eventually look at the inspiration behind the $260 watch. Look long enough and you’ll want it own one.

That’s been my behavior anyway behind some or the larger totally unnecessary toys in my life. 

Agreed.  Gateway drug. Great plan by Omega imo.  I started out 20 something years ago with entry level watches.

I don't get why some people like there to be only 500 of a certain model.  So I can just drool over photos online and see the crazy high prices? I have read forums where people turn their noses up when they see a new limited edition with 7,000 produced...."ugh I would buy one if it was 3,000....7,000 is not really limited".  Who cares.  

• Like 1