The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

22 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

The Salmoneb7a6f3b4542aeca9eb590d93d05cf28.jpg

Salmon is the most trendy color, and is the first that people usually pass over when buying a watch.  You see this color come up from time to time, and it always seems to flop eventually regardless of the brand. Just my casual observational experience.

Yeah, it is definitely one that is hit or miss for a lot of people. I know they were inspired by the colors used by FP Journe, and it is a matte salmon color. I love the contrast with the strap. In actuality, the salmon was a suggested color from the guy I bought my first Vapaus Velis from. It finished third in the voting but Vapaus really wanted to include it in the lineup so they dropped the 2nd place finisher in the contest (which was also his design) and went with the Salmon instead. That's actually the one he liked better anyways so it worked out.

I personally don't have many opportunities to wear a salmon colored watch. I do love the blued hands though and the gold markers.

Overall, the case with the mix of polished/brushed is really nice looking and adds a lot to the overall look. Drilled lugs is also a nice feature as someone who regularly changes straps.

8 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

Hey guys I have this 2008 Tag Heuer Carrera that I want to sell (to fund another watch purchase). I am the original owner. Have the paperwork but no box.

List it on eBay or somewhere else? How much $ should I be asking for? c5d5a42f95f7deb102a193b6a0318dfb.jpg

OBLIGATORY:          In Philadelphia it's worth fifty bucks.

• Like 1

Just picked up my 1959 Seamaster after having it serviced.  It looks brand new.  He tested it against an atomic clock and said it only lost about 4 seconds over several days.  Left my 1960 Constellation with him for its first (it was my Dad's and I just found it last year) servicing.  He said it looked basically new inside apart from some wear on the gears and one spot of rust on the movement (we're talking microscopic).

I expect this one to sit in line for several months like the last one did, but the attention to detail (I expect to spend 45 minutes listening to him talk about the watch he is servicing or going to service when I go in) and the price ($145) is unbeatable for Omega. 

I think, according to what he told me, Rolex will, on a good day, cost me double that.  But it's still way cheaper than trusting it to a dealer, who will either ship it off or send it to him and charge me double. 

Edited by dcbc

3 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Think he is low on the Rolex cost. My Sub ran 900 at Rolex for a full service and an independent might be half that but parts are probably the same price either way.

I apologize for the length of this post. 

I got him to ballpark it.  He said $300 to $400.  He explained it to me and the best I can recall, Rolex has a checklist and things that have to be replaced on a mandatory basis.  He suggested if anything out of the ordinary had to be done, Rolex might charge $1,200.  He also said that he gets a lot of watches from bigger shops around town, who turn around and charge people double for his work).  He told me the big difference between Rolexes and Omegas (at least the older ones) is that Rolexes uses sacrificial aluminum gears and other parts that have to be replaced and Omega (steel gears) are just, overall, more straightforward to work on.  He also suggested that they keep better time, but no reason to start that pissing contest when it comes to stuff this cool and mechanical.  According to him, when Rolexes haven't been serviced on the regular (4--5 year interval), he has been able to turn them over, and knock the metal dust onto a piece of paper. 

Overall, just a different manner of building watches.  But one is easier to service and maintain than the other.

So, back to the Rolex quote.  This guy is the type that does the standard cleaning, lubrication, checks, and repairs what needs repairing rather than what is on a checklist.  He's not a Rolex certified repair shop.  But his dad, who ran the shop before him was, and he (mid 30s) seems (and from reports from others) like he has been doing this since he could first walk and talk.

For me, who wears this watch about twice per week, but who wants to keep it in good working order, a guy like this fits the bill.  But, again, this is an inherited watch, and I'm not rolling in the dough (poser, I am). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Since we’re talking about servicing watches, how often is my Tag supposed to be serviced? I’ve had it for 2 years now and never thought about it. It’s a Carrera Calibre 16.

Automatic Wind?

9 hours ago, dcbc said:

I apologize for the length of this post. 

I got him to ballpark it.  He said $300 to $400.  He explained it to me and the best I can recall, Rolex has a checklist and things that have to be replaced on a mandatory basis.  He suggested if anything out of the ordinary had to be done, Rolex might charge $1,200.  He also said that he gets a lot of watches from bigger shops around town, who turn around and charge people double for his work).  He told me the big difference between Rolexes and Omegas (at least the older ones) is that Rolexes uses sacrificial aluminum gears and other parts that have to be replaced and Omega (steel gears) are just, overall, more straightforward to work on.  He also suggested that they keep better time, but no reason to start that pissing contest when it comes to stuff this cool and mechanical.  According to him, when Rolexes haven't been serviced on the regular (4--5 year interval), he has been able to turn them over, and knock the metal dust onto a piece of paper. 

Overall, just a different manner of building watches.  But one is easier to service and maintain than the other.

So, back to the Rolex quote.  This guy is the type that does the standard cleaning, lubrication, checks, and repairs what needs repairing rather than what is on a checklist.  He's not a Rolex certified repair shop.  But his dad, who ran the shop before him was, and he (mid 30s) seems (and from reports from others) like he has been doing this since he could first walk and talk.

For me, who wears this watch about twice per week, but who wants to keep it in good working order, a guy like this fits the bill.  But, again, this is an inherited watch, and I'm not rolling in the dough (poser, I am). 

Makes sense.  I know mine had totally froze before I took it in so it probably needed a few new parts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

Since we’re talking about servicing watches, how often is my Tag supposed to be serviced? I’ve had it for 2 years now and never thought about it. It’s a Carrera Calibre 16.

5 years IIRC.

10 hours ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I service mine whenever they show problems or stop running. My submariner hasn't been serviced since 2004 and seems to be running fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I service mine whenever they show problems or stop running. My submariner hasn't been serviced since 2004 and seems to be running fine. 

It's pretty hard to kill these things.  My constellation is in for it's first service after 59 years (it spent a lot of that time in a drawer, but still).  Definitely some signs of wear, but it was still keeping good time. 

I'll take the Rolex in next.  It's a 1978 model and probably never has been opened up.  Keeps perfect time, but at 40 years old, it's got to be due.  :)

I'm sure this has been covered, but what's the disadvantage of buying from Jomashop, etc? Something having to do with warranty?

Who are Jomashop's (legit) competitors?
Authenticwatches.com is a legit competitor. What are you looking to buy? If Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc than check out DavidSW.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:
3 hours ago, tokamak said:
I'm sure this has been covered, but what's the disadvantage of buying from Jomashop, etc? Something having to do with warranty?

Who are Jomashop's (legit) competitors?

Authenticwatches.com is a legit competitor. What are you looking to buy? If Omega, Rolex, Panerai, etc than check out DavidSW.

Omega. I'll check them out, thanks.

For anyone who is thinking about getting a watch soon, I'd really like to suggest you consider a vintage watch.  Some of them look flat out amazing and still are capable of keeping great time.  The case/dial size is going to be smaller than modern watches, but I prefer it.

I always browse this site, even though I never have bought anything from them.  Those 1930s Rolexes are some of the coolest things ever.

http://www.darlor-watch.com

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

For anyone who is thinking about getting a watch soon, I'd really like to suggest you consider a vintage watch.  Some of them look flat out amazing and still are capable of keeping great time.  The case/dial size is going to be smaller than modern watches, but I prefer it.

I always browse this site, even though I never have bought anything from them.  Those 1930s Rolexes are some of the coolest things ever.

http://www.darlor-watch.com

Why ?  Vintage tend to be not the current styles, and tend to be smaller.  Vintage is for colletectors who've zero in on what they dig, not novice buyers.    Id's suggest getting something new in the $300-$800 range..That's a nice week spot for lots of good stuff without big name prices.                

34 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Why ?  Vintage tend to be not the current styles, and tend to be smaller.  Vintage is for colletectors who've zero in on what they dig, not novice buyers.    Id's suggest getting something new in the $300-$800 range..That's a nice week spot for lots of good stuff without big name prices.                

I'm an old soul, I guess.  I like the style of the older stuff much more than the current styles.  It's been a few years, but that 1959 Omega Seamaster than I just had serviced ran me $350 about 5 years ago. 

Again, if it's not something you like, no worries.  But there are some deals to be had for people who, like me, think there is a lot of cool in some of these older watches.  That Darlor site obviously is not necessarily where these deals lie. 

What are you seeing new in the $300--$800 range that you like?

Edited by dcbc

I bought my Monaco from Authentic Watches and very smooth transaction. They will price match but you have to call to tell them. I didn’t know until after delivery...I emailed asking if they could still match another grey site who was lil cheaper (it wasn’t showing in stock at the time I bought from AW). AW said I had to tell them before purchase, but they agreed to upgrade my warranty from 3 to 5 years and sent a new card.

Got an Omega SM300 from Jomashop...had some other Hamiltons and Tag from there also in the past. No issues and all working well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my Monaco from Authentic Watches and very smooth transaction. They will price match but you have to call to tell them. I didn’t know until after delivery...I emailed asking if they could still match another grey site who was lil cheaper (it wasn’t showing in stock at the time I bought from AW). AW said I had to tell them before purchase, but they agreed to upgrade my warranty from 3 to 5 years and sent a new card.

Got an Omega SM300 from Jomashop...had some other Hamiltons and Tag from there also in the past. No issues and all working well so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post pics of that bitch. Love the 300s.

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

I'm an old soul, I guess.  I like the style of the older stuff much more than the current styles.  It's been a few years, but that 1959 Omega Seamaster than I just had serviced ran me $350 about 5 years ago. 

Again, if it's not something you like, no worries.  But there are some deals to be had for people who, like me, think there is a lot of cool in some of these older watches.  That Darlor site obviously is not necessarily where these deals lie. 

What are you seeing new in the $300--$800 range that you like?

Oh yeah It's all personal preference of course.  I like Stowa, Steinhart, Archimedes to name a few. They're going to be closer to a $1,000 but do have offerings in the $800 range

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i would look like flavor flav with a 48mm

It's historically accurate in size. They wore them over their flight jackets.  My wrists aren't as big as they used to be in my heavy weight lifting  days, but anything less than about 43 feels small.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh yeah It's all personal preference of course.  I like Stowa, Steinhart, Archimedes to name a few. They're going to be closer to a $1,000 but do have offerings in the $800 range

Thanks, will check them out. 

Every time I open another box, I find one of my dad's watches I never knew about it seems.

Anybody have any ideas about this Omega?  It has the original band, which was very unusual for my dad.  It had some plastic piece over it, presumably to make it more comfortable.  I removed it.  No other exterior markings.

OUCAfs_Bmk_IFMu_n_Bd_Dyb5lyld8_Pza_Zt_IP

x6_A11o_PMDp_Ve6_CDv_JDKf_XCsr_Knntk_HEf

• Like 1