The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Omega is a badass brand, but so is Tudor.

And Rolex is Rolex.  I can't believe I am having to stick up for them.

@tokamak, that's a slick piece and I think you made a great choice.  As far as NEEDING a winder, no, you dont.  I have never seen anything that says that keeping your auto constantly wound is markedly better than not.  Others might have other intel.  I cycle between 3 autos and do not have a winder.

17 minutes ago, huge said:

Omega is a badass brand, but so is Tudor.

And Rolex is Rolex.  I can't believe I am having to stick up for them.

@tokamak, that's a slick piece and I think you made a great choice.  As far as NEEDING a winder, no, you dont.  I have never seen anything that says that keeping your auto constantly wound is markedly better than not.  Others might have other intel.  I cycle between 3 autos and do not have a winder.

You're not having  to stick up for them. As I said , its personal preference.  Rolex is a quality brand. I've never owned one nor will I. They just don't do it for me.

I think of Tudor as the watch some buy when they can't afford the Rolex they want. That's not a knock on it's quality.  I've owned at least 20 different watch brands thru the years.  I just prefer those brands you don't see on the street every day.

9 hours ago, tokamak said:

Anniversary present from the wife. I took a long look at a Tudor Heritage Chrono, but ended up picking this. I've wanted one of these ever since it came out.

IMG_5190.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

I'm gonna leave it on the NATO for now.

Dumb question: this is the 2nd mechanical watch that I own (also have a Stowa Marine). Never had to worry about keeping the Stowa wound because I wore it every day. Now I'll be alternating. Should I invest in a winder? Is it "bad" for a mechanical watch to stop and start all the time?

That watch is cool as hell....

Edited by noharleyyet

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Yeah, like I said, I've had my eye on the AT 15,000 gauss since the day I first saw it, but that exact Tudor really turned my head and made it a tough decision. OnBoard is entitled to his opinion of course, but that is a badass watch.

Not an argument from me, about it's looks, just never had the desire to buy either brand.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:17 AM, capnamerca said:

When I got my Aqua Terra last year, my interest in owning any other watches just completely vanished. I guess that means I purchased well? Still love this fucking thread ... 

Anyone want to buy a Sinn EZM3? I need to get off my ass and get it listed somewhere. Just sitting in a drawer, and I'm never going to wear it.

same thing happened to me when I bought my Planet Ocean XL

Yeah, like I said, I've had my eye on the AT 15,000 gauss since the day I first saw it, but that exact Tudor really turned my head and made it a tough decision. OnBoard is entitled to his opinion of course, but that is a badass watch. 
I wouldn't see that Tudor on someone's wrist and think, well that guy couldn't afford a Rolex (unless it was my wrist at some point hopefully, then that would be an accurate statement) 

I've acquired more watches than I want over the last year. Thinking about either that tudor chrono or a 39.5 mm PO to replace most of them before long. Someday I'll quit being lazy and sell off some knives and watches.

The main benefit of a winder is not having to reset the time (and especially date if you don't have quick-set date).

There are arguments both ways on whether stopping and intermittent use is bad for a mechanical movement - the other side says constant running causes more wear. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If setting the time/date is annoying, keep it on a winder.

I took the plunge and got two Wolf winders from a sale on Amazon. Really digging them over cheaper model I have owned. Bigger one has storage on top.

They do help for my auto that had day and date that I rarely wore.

45d4180e4b4501b1ee2742ccae47bda7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A friend of mine was asking about differences in lume, so I took a quick photo of the watch box with what is currently sitting in there (there are 3 more off on the table next to it heh I need to sell some stuff). Figured yall might be alright with it too:

28miel1.jpg

Draken, Oris, Tudor, Seiko, Ball

Bernhardt, Tag, Steinhart, Mido, G. Gerlach

I like divers, what can I say?  Pretty obvious which one I've been wearing for the last month or however long.  Also the Ball tritium doesn't show up very well in a picture like this.  Sitting next to an SKX, which could probably be used as a flashlight, doesn't help.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

I took the plunge and got two Wolf winders from a sale on Amazon. Really digging them over cheaper model I have owned. Bigger one has storage on top.

Have the Wolf on the left. sans display compartment. 

Picked up this Orient automatic diver for $320 on ebay.

Wanted an auto for beach/boat/fishing/pool use. Something that can see some sunscreen and fish slime and wouldn't be a heartbreaker if lost overboard. 44mm feels a little large on my wrist but I just put it on. c18530f9e69cc9ca5294cce2f642b87b.jpg57903cac97b8d2b7367a692b2ac82fd7.jpg

That NATO in the Seamaster is really sweet man

Breitling doesn’t really sound like it fits your collection...which one you thinking?

650 what Yachty do you have? Been jonesing the Blue or Iridium face lately

Blue face is daily wear for the corporate suspicious... just saying.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine was asking about differences in lume, so I took a quick photo of the watch box with what is currently sitting in there (there are 3 more off on the table next to it heh I need to sell some stuff). Figured yall might be alright with it too:
28miel1.jpg
Draken, Oris, Tudor, Seiko, Ball
Bernhardt, Tag, Steinhart, Mido, G. Gerlach

I like divers, what can I say?  Pretty obvious which one I've been wearing for the last month or however long.  Also the Ball tritium doesn't show up very well in a picture like this.  Sitting next to an SKX, which could probably be used as a flashlight, doesn't help.
SKX is so much a favorite... it's my weekender / non-corporate. My first real auto, etc.

I'm looking for an everyday watch to wear.  I haven't been a watch wearer, but looking to change my ways.  I've been looking primarily at three different watches and wanted to get y'all's take.  I hardly ever am in a suit and tie, but would like something that looks good casual to business casual.  

Stowa, Archimede, Sinn

Sinn 356 is a really cool looking watch, but might be pricey for getting back into the watch game

Archimede either outdoor protect, or pilot 39

Stowa- Flieger classic 40

If I should look at a different brand or am making any kind of mistake please advise

On 8/1/2018 at 9:22 AM, TexTexTex said:

I'm looking for an everyday watch to wear.  I haven't been a watch wearer, but looking to change my ways.  I've been looking primarily at three different watches and wanted to get y'all's take.  I hardly ever am in a suit and tie, but would like something that looks good casual to business casual.  

Stowa, Archimede, Sinn

Sinn 356 is a really cool looking watch, but might be pricey for getting back into the watch game

Archimede either outdoor protect, or pilot 39

Stowa- Flieger classic 40

If I should look at a different brand or am making any kind of mistake please advise

Archimede makes a great watch (I have a Klassik 39), but if you're getting a pilot, spend the extra and get the Stowa. Much more history behind the brand.

No date looks cleaner and is more classic, but damn if it's not easier to look at your watch for a date instead of having to pull out your cell phone.

• Like 1

What's the going rate to service a basic ETA movement? My Stowa is running ~30s/day fast so I think it needs service but the few places around Houston that I've called are quoting me like $3-400, which seems really high. That's half the cost of the damn watch itself.

14 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What's the going rate to service a basic ETA movement? My Stowa is running ~30s/day fast so I think it needs service but the few places around Houston that I've called are quoting me like $3-400, which seems really high. That's half the cost of the damn watch itself.

so about tree-fiddy?  

Welcome to the world of high horology.

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

like other dude said...thats literally the cost of the movement itself.  

you should just fuck up the watch majorly to make the service worth its cost

like other dude said...thats literally the cost of the movement itself.  

you should just fuck up the watch majorly to make the service worth its cost
I bought a massdrop victorinox with an ETA for like $140. Kind of a wear it until it dies watch. I've bought a bunch of stuff in the $500-1000 range and it's pretty tempting to just sell most off before they need service and buy maybe one expensive watch. Kind of crazy that service cost makes most watches under a grand damn near disposable.

I bought a massdrop victorinox with an ETA for like $140. Kind of a wear it until it dies watch. I've bought a bunch of stuff in the $500-1000 range and it's pretty tempting to just sell most off before they need service and buy maybe one expensive watch. Kind of crazy that service cost makes most watches under a grand damn near disposable.
T6b9248c6119bbc8077e41c23f837a6ad.jpg

On 8/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, tokamak said:

For those prices, you might as well see what it would cost to send it to Stowa themselves.  

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

For those prices, you might as well see what it would cost to send it to Stowa themselves.  

If I'm reading Stowa's website correctly, it's ~$170 for a service from them. I assume that shipping to and from Germany would be outrageous though.

6 hours ago, tokamak said:

If I'm reading Stowa's website correctly, it's ~$170 for a service from them. I assume that shipping to and from Germany would be outrageous though.

if you omit original boxes it can qualify as standard mail.  wrap a couple of layers of bubble wrap and its like the tiniest parcel.  not expensive. 

im into the Master of G series.  Green Rangeman is my knockaround vacation watch.  

Disappointed to find out that it doesnt give depth below water (just shows ERR... but works as soon as its out of submersion)... the Frogman does water depth and its like 900$ minimum.  

Bunch of limited edition GShock im interested in but theyre all 4 figure MSRP and thats too much for a toy

55 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

im into the Master of G series.  Green Rangeman is my knockaround vacation watch.  

Disappointed to find out that it doesnt give depth below water (just shows ERR... but works as soon as its out of submersion)... the Frogman does water depth and its like 900$ minimum.  

Bunch of limited edition GShock im interested in but theyre all 4 figure MSRP and thats too much for a toy

They're quartz right ?  I wouldn't pay more than $19.95 for a quartz watch.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:10 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Just inherited my great-great grandfather's 1894 or 1895 Waltham pocket watch. Hunter design. Took it to the jeweler to see what he needed to do to fix it.

Jeweler wound it, sucker cranked right up. I've been carrying it around using it to tell time.

39744866_10101165561986649_7378186784355

39594195_10101165561816989_8718781227173

39686693_10101165561841939_9196780897892