I got shitfaced on Havana Club last night and booked a trip to Cuba

Spankytoes

Have a work thing in Miami this August and pulled the trigger to visit Havana. Going under the Support for the Cuban People designation. Got my tourist card booked and a few nights through AirBNB. I’m going solo.

What should I do in 48 hours? Take a tour or walk it myself? Rent a car, take public transport or taxis? Any good places to eat? 

I know nothing. Help me out

7 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Smuggle out a shit load of the real Havana Club rum and ship it to me.  That's good stuff.  +rep

You can bring $400 worth of cigars and rum back. I’m bringing an extra suitcase to take them up on that.

• 3 months later...
53 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

What is the protocol right now? Are travel restrictions still off or did they get put in place with the diplomats getting sick?

There are 12 designations for a Visa. The easiest one for a tourist is Support for the Cuban People. Basically, you have to stay with a family, eat at family owned restaurants and do activities like cigar rolling, learning to salsa, shopping for souvenirs at tourist shops, doing a distillery tour, etc. I had a few coworkers that wanted to get in on the action so we rented a 3br Oceanside AirBNB on the Malecon for $115 per night, which is on the high side for Havana. Couldn’t have worked out better for us. Turns out it was Carnival that weekend, so we had a place to crash within walking distance of the rum fest. Had the best Pina Coloda and worst meals of my life there. Wish I had 1 more day because 72 hours would be perfect IMO. 

• 4 months later...

So you’ll beat the AIDS you caught from those three whores above? 

Seriously though, you said you rented an AirBNB, but as part of going there under the “support for the Cuban people” designation, you had to stay with Cuban family. How did that work? Did they also have a home on the same property? 

Edited by 3adays