Same shit, same results

Spankytoes

8 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

And guys like Sendlein and Studdard on the o line. Mean, nasty motherfuckers. These guys are pampered pussies. 

It feels like this program had identified our program’s void of these types the past several administrations (remember talk of Charlie Strong’s strength coach and “The Pit”? How about Herman making players practice for their breakfast?). These stories were put forth immediately leading up to the Strong and Herman hires because it had become public knowledge that Texas football had become “The Country Club” and the narrative had to change.  Three coaches and a decade later we’re still saying the same shit.  At what point do you look beyond the coaches to the pool of players you are recruiting from which is another way of asking if basketball on grass Texas HS football produces the kind of hard, pipe-hitting linemen you correctly notice are lacking?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

The frustrating part is you figured a guy who coached in the SEC for a couple of years would get his team ready to play an SEC team that won 3 fucking games last year. It just shows who far away we are from being decent. We still have a set of a players who just do not get that they are going to get everyone's best effort every week. You can't just roll out and hope to talent your way to a win. Arkansas made us look beyond mediocre. The only upside is this could be the early necessary evil Sark needs to shock these guys to be better. If Card is trotted out as the starter next week, we'll know this thing's ceiling is the Alamo Bowl. Card is not going to get the extra yards you need when it's 3rd and 6 and there's no passing lanes open. I was massively disappointed that Card was trotted back out there at the start of the 2nd half. That told me that Sark wasn't trying to win this game. It's the same hardheaded bullshit that Strong and Herman would do. Sark is just as inflexible as those morons which is sad because I was hoping he would be different and open to change things if it wasn't working. Nope, same boneheaded stubbornness to prove Card is the right choice as Strong or Herman would do. There's a reason he's 0-19 when down at the half. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

It was the second game of his tenure and it feels like that Card start was a charity start. Thompson made an immediate difference on the field. It was literally night and day. If he doesn't put the QB issue to bed and start Thompson for the rest of the season, then I'll be worried.

this.  Card looked OK against Ulala but he wasn't a world beater.  I also noticed our OL suck shit through a straw and Card is only slightly more elusive  than I am.

Casey needs to start so we can get him reps before OU.

17 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

It feels like this program had identified our program’s void of these types the past several administrations (remember talk of Charlie Strong’s strength coach and “The Pit”? How about Herman making players practice for their breakfast?). These stories were put forth immediately leading up to the Strong and Herman hires because it had become public knowledge that Texas football had become “The Country Club” and the narrative had to change.  Three coaches and a decade later we’re still saying the same shit.  At what point do you look beyond the coaches to the pool of players you are recruiting from which is another way of asking if basketball on grass Texas HS football produces the kind of hard, pipe-hitting linemen you correctly notice are lacking?

I'm really beginning to think it's a whole bunch of things.  Austin.  The recruiting pool that we choose to draw from.  Something about the campus environment.  Everyone's "We're Texas" ridiculous bullshit. 

We haven't won an NC in 15 years, or competed for one in more than 10.  Same with conference championships and other hardware. Jackshit in the playoff era. Where any Texas player gets the idea that "he's made it," or the team "has made it" is beyond me.  But something surely seems to create that impression.

Someone pointed out @Vito Andolini I think, that Vince took it upon himself to destroy the coddling culture in 2004 and 2005 and it seems like it's going to take someone similar to do it again.  It doesn't seem to be something a coach can do singlehandedly.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

They would have torn them down if they beat A$M, LSU, Alabama , Auburn, Georgia, Florida or any other fucking team that was #15 or better when THEY ARE FUCKING UNRANKED GOD DAMNIT 

FOR FUCKS SAKE 

there's literally an Arky fan on here right now saying they only did it because it was Texas, lol

Here's the thing. If your calling card is being one of the top offensive minds in college football, you should never be shutout at HT. This game was lost when he trotted out the same OL that couldn't get any kind of consistent push against Louisiana, is playing 2 injured players, a guy that physically isn't ready to be playing, and a 6th year guy that clearly is the biggest liability on offense.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Here's the thing. If your calling card is being one of the top offensive minds in college football, you should never be shutout at HT. This game was lost when he trotted out the same OL that couldn't get any kind of consistent push against Louisiana, is playing 2 injured players, a guy that physically isn't ready to be playing, and a 6th year guy that clearly is the biggest liability on offense.

Yep. That's where we are. 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm really beginning to think it's a whole bunch of things.  Austin.  The recruiting pool that we choose to draw from.  Something about the campus environment.  Everyone's "We're Texas" ridiculous bullshit. 

We haven't won an NC in 15 years, or competed for one in more than 10.  Same with conference championships and other hardware. Jackshit in the playoff era. Where any Texas player gets the idea that "he's made it," or the team "has made it" is beyond me.  But something surely seems to create that impression.

Someone pointed out @Vito Andolini I think, that Vince took it upon himself to destroy the coddling culture in 2004 and 2005 and it seems like it's going to take someone similar to do it again.  It doesn't seem to be something a coach can do singlehandedly.

Add to that the lack of linemen drafted to the NFL over the past decade and a half.  For that matter, the entire record of The Big XII has been quite lacking when the conversation is production of NFL talent.  I’ve been around here for a while and the same conversations were going on in the early 2000s under Mack, and it did kind of feel like the VY Texas teams won in spite of Mack and his staff’s perceived short-comings.  That said, those early 2000’s Texas teams often finished with only 1 or 2 losses, mostly to Oklahoma.  What we’ve been seeing the last decade plus is a far cry from that kind of success.  Personally, I agree with your assessment that it’s a combination of things.  To your list, I would add staying in a dying conference that is The Big XII.  Perhaps the athletic department realized this and this is why we’re joining the SEC.  But SEC or not, I think this program needs to somehow look out of state for linemen and attitude.  

Edited by Steelers Roll Left
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Domedriver said:

Spoilt in thinking this shit is easy and we can’t just have a magic cure for all that Mack, Charlie, an the Turtle did to us.  Sark needed this data point.   I am a SarkisaHorn!  I think he is the guy.

Yeah, he proved he was the guy by game planning right to the Ark defense’s and Barry Odom’s strengths. The offense was terrible to start, and he did nothing to adjust. Maybe when you know your OL is dog shit, especially on the left side, you don’t run behind them on 1st and 2nd down. Maybe you attack their backup linebackers in the first half. Maybe you get the TEs involved. Maybe you run your QB if that’s all they give you. Sark can suck a fat one. He looked more scared than Charlie out there with the results to back it up.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't watch the practices but all the smart money said Card was clearly better than Thompson...I never bought it -- you play the guy with experience unless he has demonstrated that he sucks on the field. Thompson had done the fucking opposite -- he was electric. 

It was practice. Sark was takin bout practice man

Fuck Sark

i dont know man. after the herman failure, there should have been a deep, deep look into the entire org. the culture has to change. how many times can you redo the locker rooms without the production ?

this program has been in a tail spin since mack brown left, maybe started his last year. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

i dont know man. after the herman failure, there should have been a deep, deep look into the entire org. the culture has to change. how many times can your redo the locker rooms without the production ?

this program has been in a tail spin since mack brown left, maybe started his last year. 

Mack was the outlier over the last 45 years of Texas football.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

i dont know man. after the herman failure, there should have been a deep, deep look into the entire org. the culture has to change. how many times can your redo the locker rooms without the production ?

I’ll say it again.  Sark was Plan B at best.  Plan A was Urban Meyer, but the athletic department swung and missed, but at least they were swinging.  

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

I would’ve just kept Herman instead.

We're saying this 2 games in man. I'm not a full believer myself but some were ready to anoint Herman as the next DKR after the the Sugar Bowl. Sark may not be the guy. And we're doing this coaching search again 2-3 years later. But til then we gotta ride with what we got. Trust in this staffs experience to try and fix things. I get the impatience it's warranted    

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i dont know man. after the herman failure, there should have been a deep, deep look into the entire org. the culture has to change. how many times can you redo the locker rooms without the production ?

It has been going down since Garrett Gilbert fumbled the ball in the MNC with 3:02 left in the game down by 3. Ever since then, there has been very little to cheer

Next away game the entire team needs to wear fucking shitty ass men’s wearhouse suits and fly spirit airlines (straight consumer, no private), stay at some shit ass radisson or Hilton garden (not the real deal) and eat a large fucking humble pie for dinner the night before the game. I’m sick and fucking tired of seeing all these edits of the boys in custom suits and jackets boarding the private charter. Maybe you’re athletic but you haven’t earned shit. You ain’t done shit here. Not yet anyway. Spoiled ass, entitled soft fucking team is who I saw tonight. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

We're saying this 2 games in man. I'm not a full believer myself but some were ready to anoint Herman as the next DKR after the the Sugar Bowl. Sark may not be the guy. And we're doing this coaching search again 2-3 years later. But til then we gotta ride with what we got. Trust in this staffs experience to try and fix things. I get the impatience it's warranted    

I’m comparing his to Harsin, not sark.

Someone pointed out [mention=1332]Vito Andolini[/mention] I think, that Vince took it upon himself to destroy the coddling culture in 2004 and 2005 and it seems like it's going to take someone similar to do it again.  It doesn't seem to be something a coach can do singlehandedly.
Careful, now. Hinting that maybe Austin and the UT campus might be the problem because recruits are coming to Texas more to party and live the Austin lifestyle rather than play football will get you shouted down on this board. I've been saying that for a couple years now and it always was met with hostility. But let's be honest, there's a lot in Austin that is offered to young superstars and those things don't hinge on winning or losing.

Texas football players have been way too comfortable for a while, now.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Eastwood said:

Careful, now. Hinting that maybe Austin and the UT campus might be the problem because recruits are coming to Texas more to party and live the Austin lifestyle rather than play football will get you shouted down on this board. I've been saying that for a couple years now and it always was met with hostility. But let's be honest, there's a lot in Austin that is offered to young superstars and those things don't hinge on winning or losing.

Hard to swallow pills for sure.

1 minute ago, Eastwood said:

Aka "soft"

3 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

any player at a big time D1 program will have plenty of opportunities to party and bang hot college tail. 

• Hook 'Em 1

any player at a big time D1 program will have plenty of opportunities to party and bang hot college tail. 
Players go to Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, or Columbus to play ball and move on to the next level. Others come to Austin to set up shop and live the life. UT players who don't make it to the NFL never leave the city limits until their clout has run dry and the drinks stop being free.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

And that's not going to change because Austin isn't going to change. We're just going to have to get used to it and hope we get a breakthrough season every now and then like we did in 2005.

Just now, Steelers Roll Left said:

I don’t know if anyone’s taking sides.  The OL performance was pathetic…….and so was the defense

Your'e right.  They both did.  Just the majority of posts I saw lately are about blaming the qb or head coach which is understandable but in reality you won't beat anyone giving up 300 on the ground.

1 hour ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

We weren't soft under Herman. He made a lot of mistakes, but that's the one thing he deserves credit for.

• Hook 'Em 1

I gotta say I agree, it's the only thing that makes sense really. USC (and to a lesser degree UCLA) has the same issue. Of course both Texas and USC have proven in the past that can be overcome, but it's difficult.

Put a perfectly cooked Wagyu ribeye in front of someone who just finished a 6 course meal at a Michelin star restaurant and it won't look quite as good. Saban knows how hard it is to combat the "made it" mentality which is why he goes on tirades even after a win...sending a message to players and coaches they havent won jack shit yet, and everyone wants to take their lunch.

16 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He lost to two not very good teams in his first 8 or 9 years - NC State in 99 and Stanford in 2000 - and neither were blowouts where we were down 40-14 to a team that can’t even throw.  

Kansas State in 2006 was the next time he even lost to a team that wasn’t at least pretty good, and that was when Colt got hurt early and we still almost won.  Some good teams like OU beat the crap out of us, but the 2010 UCLA game is probably the first time Mack got blown out by a spare ass team, and that was the beginning of the end.  

Getting blown out by bad teams isn’t a common thing for good coaches.  Ever.  And this Arkansas team is still bad.

We also got the shit kicked out of us by an underdog Arkansas team in the Cotton Bowl to cap off the 1999 season.

That was fun.

Edited by David Dennison

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

That Arkansas team finished ranked 17th and, as you noted, went to the Cotton Bowl.

I would be shocked if this Arkansas team finishes ranked and goes to a decent bowl.

That Arkansas team entered the game ranked 24th and, like us, wound up in the Cotton Bowl. 

Edited by David Dennison

27 minutes ago, TXpride said:

We weren't soft under Herman. He made a lot of mistakes, but that's the one thing he deserves credit for.

I agree his teams didn't quit but a lot of that was letting Sam hero ball shit.  Sma bailed his ass out a ton. 

We weren't charmin soft but we were still kinda weak IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1