Same shit, same results

Spankytoes

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

Careful, now. Hinting that maybe Austin and the UT campus might be the problem because recruits are coming to Texas more to party and live the Austin lifestyle rather than play football will get you shouted down on this board. I've been saying that for a couple years now and it always was met with hostility. But let's be honest, there's a lot in Austin that is offered to young superstars and those things don't hinge on winning or losing.

Texas football players have been way too comfortable for a while, now.

We should try something cutting edge, like serving them runny eggs and burnt toast. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm really beginning to think it's a whole bunch of things.  Austin.  The recruiting pool that we choose to draw from.  Something about the campus environment.  Everyone's "We're Texas" ridiculous bullshit. 

We haven't won an NC in 15 years, or competed for one in more than 10.  Same with conference championships and other hardware. Jackshit in the playoff era. Where any Texas player gets the idea that "he's made it," or the team "has made it" is beyond me.  But something surely seems to create that impression.

Someone pointed out @Vito Andolini I think, that Vince took it upon himself to destroy the coddling culture in 2004 and 2005 and it seems like it's going to take someone similar to do it again.  It doesn't seem to be something a coach can do singlehandedly.

I think it’s really hard to get back to being consistently good when you let the program go to shit like we did in Mack’s three year going away party. Also, unless someone like Saban or Meyer falls in your lap, hiring a head coach is hard and unpredictable. Strong was a terrible HC and was a joke at USF. Herman had a thinner resume than Strong when he was hired and was mediocre but not terrible here. 

I couldn’t believe they hired Sark when it was announced given all the red flags, so maybe it shouldn’t come to much of a shock if he fails here too. It’s not like he set the world on fire at UW/USC. Still though, as ugly and inexcusable as this loss is, you can’t ever read too much into a single game. Let’s hope Sark somehow turns it around and is competitive in conference play.   That’s all we can really do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, longhornmatt said:

You’re just trolling at this point.  They finished ranked 17th and won a bowl game that was the tier right below the BCS bowls.  Losing that game sucked, but it was nowhere near comparable to losing to the worst team in the SEC.

So if we finish ranked 24th this year (or 17th for that matter) I can feel comfortable concluding that we are a "pretty good team"?

4 hours ago, hookem48 said:

really? Arky just tore the fucking goal posts down.

Looked on TV like the stadium workers lowered them when people started rushing the field.  Many places have the ones that allow you to fairly quickly bring them down so they don't get broken.

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't watch the practices but all the smart money said Card was clearly better than Thompson...I never bought it -- you play the guy with experience unless he has demonstrated that he sucks on the field. Thompson had done the fucking opposite -- he was electric. 

We should not starts QBs from Lake Travis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I read this platitude a lot on here. Not trying to be a dick...but what the hell does it mean in practice?

Cheat?

Profit > results, our athletic department is filled with tons of people who don’t give a shit about performance on the field

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, I know.  That’s a pretty good team.  We just lost to a bottom feeder. What’s your point?   Do you think this year’s Arkansas team is going to finish ranked and go to a good bowl game?

I have no idea about this Arkansas team. Pittman seems to have made good coordinator hires. But I do know that Chad Morris results from two years ago don’t matter, and how they looked for 3 quarters vs. a team they had little interest in beating (Rice) also means fuck all in college football.

6 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Careful, now. Hinting that maybe Austin and the UT campus might be the problem because recruits are coming to Texas more to party and live the Austin lifestyle rather than play football will get you shouted down on this board. I've been saying that for a couple years now and it always was met with hostility. But let's be honest, there's a lot in Austin that is offered to young superstars and those things don't hinge on winning or losing.

I’ve mentioned this same sentiment for several years also. Entitlement, and at the same time victimhood, are the calling cards of the woke society at large and Austin is at the forefront. If not consciously then subconsciously, that thinking does not lend itself to pulling yourself up by the bootstraps when the going gets tough. And if you think we are soft now wait until NIL really kicks in. Not trying to make this a CR discussion, I’m just grasping at straws with how consistently top 10 classes and coaches who supposedly know their Xs and Os when hired can suddenly create a steaming pile of shit when mixed together. And we could just all be overreacting to a coach in his 2nd game who hasn’t had one recruiting class yet that got his shit pushed in with what he has to work with. I don’t think he thinks he can win with either QB. Like every other coach we have to give them the requisite 3 years. Fuck it. I think I woke up drunk. Gonna be a long season. I’m too old for this shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 1

Ha, you're talking about woke culture but don't want to make this political.  Next time your wife makes mashed potatoes, stick your dick in them and then tell her you don't want to talk about the mashed potatoes and see how that works out for you.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Think they win 8? I wish I shared your optimism. I see 7, at best. 

Well if the team that showed up last night shows up for the next 10 games, making a bowl game would be the ceiling for that team. But at the same time, I remember after week 2 of 2018 after Maryland 2.0 and only beating Tulsa by 7, people here were saying we were a 4 win team, but we went on to have our best season since 2009. There’s a lot of football left to be played. I’m not gonna count us out 2 weeks into a new coaching staff, but if this proves to be a pattern with this staff over the rest of the season and not just a blip, I’ll gladly jump on the “Fire Sark” bandwagon.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, dec3169 said:

Looked on TV like the stadium workers lowered them when people started rushing the field.  Many places have the ones that allow you to fairly quickly bring them down so they don't get broken.

that's fine, I'll say they lowered them before the 50,000 fuckers on the field got to them.

8 hours ago, Apex73 said:

This is all hilarious that everyone is making this about the offense when the defense literally gave up over 300 yards on the ground tonight.  You will not beat ANYONE doing that.  The offense was definitely horrible too but holy shit the defense was non existent.   Especially in the 2nd half.

One of the first things said was that we had a meltdown on offense, defense, special teams and coaching. What has been missed?

Casey fixed my worry about the offense when he came in and we scored twice. I’m way more worried about a defense that was getting driven 7-8 yards off the LOS the entire second half. That’s not a schematic adjustment that’s a DL that flaps their fucking jaws but do not back it up on the field. I’m still pissed about last night 

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Casey fixed my worry about the offense when he came in and we scored twice. I’m way more worried about a defense that was getting driven 7-8 yards off the LOS the entire second half. That’s not a schematic adjustment that’s a DL that flaps their fucking jaws but do not back it up on the field. I’m still pissed about last night 

If what Casey did fixed your worry about the offense you're the dumbest fucker on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1. If Casey had been brought in the 2Q and not the 4th the offense would have scored more.

2. The defense never looked good and gave up over 300 yards on the ground

The only thing that would change my mind about the offense is if sark pulled card not because he thinks Casey will be better but because he quit and gave up and wanted to save card from injury or a mental long term meltdown from the loss. Which jow that I type it out like that I’m leaning that way and think card will run out against rice as QB1.

That arky D stifled Sark's all time great Bama O last year. He apparently struggles with the 3-down-drop-everyone-else cloud D or whatever ISU has used against us for years, which is obviously not great. 

After our O was shitty for 3 quarters the D was gassed and demotivated. It happens, we've seen it before, sure, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with Austin or the current admin or a soft culture or whatever other bullshit conclusions some of you are reaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If you’re more worried about the offense than the defense you’re the dumbest fucker in the universe.

I replied to your dumbass comment that you have no worries about the offense after what Casey showed. No one said anything about what was more worrisome. The best play either qb had was the late hit out of bounds penalty.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

I replied to your dumbass comment that you have no worries about the offense after what Casey showed. No one said anything about what was more worrisome. The best play either qb had was the late hit out of bounds penalty.

I meant about the qb situation everyone is more focused on than the shitastic defense. If you think Casey and Card look the same then I can't help you. 

Our D-line has to be the biggest disappointment of the year so far. They were supposed to be one of the best in the country and so far they stink. Bo Davis is a great recruiter, but he's doing less with more than any other position group. The O-line is worse, which was expected. Still, there's no sign they've improved since last year. The secondary was also supposed to be a strength, but it's hard to gauge how they were doing because the game plan sucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

I just woke up and I'm hungover af so I'm going to have to cut and paste the word embarrassment. Holy fuck they looked like one of the worsely corched teams in college football. I was wondering if their pregame meal was poisoned or something. We're fucked. Season tix, what a waste. I'm fucked too.

I knew we were fucked in the first qtr when I saw a happy feet panicky card who looked like a guy who wasn’t sure what to do followed by a defense that might give up 30+ a game. Sarks presser on Monday will be interesting. If we get cocky sark I’ll be pissed and if we get deer in the headlights Charlie sark that has no answer to anyone I’ll be more pissed. Pretty much I’m pissed today.

• Hook 'Em 1

We also need Arkansas to be good this year so it helps us with recruiting. If we start winning and they keep winning besides bama and Georgia we will know we lost to a good team. The worst thing for us that will probably happen is they will beat Georgia st then lose the next 5 games which is possible. We need Arkansas to beat aggy and we need to beat ou. This season could end up being a disaster because I feel

some bad losses  coming up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We also need Arkansas to be good this year so it helps us with recruiting. If we start winning and they keep winning besides bama and Georgia we will know we lost to a good team. The worst thing for us that will probably happen is they will beat Georgia st then lose the next 5 games which is possible. We need Arkansas to beat aggy and we need to beat ou. This season could end up being a disaster because I feel

Four losses is what most people expected. Five is concerning. Six is bad. A losing season is a disaster.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

You know what’s going to happen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eastwood said:

This is a stupid, lazy take. UCLA just got into a brawl with LSU and kicked their ass. Austin has nothing, absolutely NOTHING, on LA when it comes to distractions, not caring about football, etc. In the early 2000s, USC had celebrities at practice, on the sidelines during games, etc. They still kicked the crap out of everyone for a couple of years (until VY). Austin is a great town but football players are revered everywhere and have been for decades. There are distractions everywhere. Austin isn't special in that respect. If you're looking for the problem, start with the coaches. Teams reflect their coaches.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I meant about the qb situation everyone is more focused on than the shitastic defense. If you think Casey and Card look the same then I can't help you. 

we would have been better with Arky's backup qb last night than either one we have, we needed the fastest player on the field at qb. Actually I'm happy as hell that guy didn't start for Arky, he would have housed a few runs from 70 yards.

3 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

This is a stupid, lazy take. UCLA just got into a brawl with LSU and kicked their ass. Austin has nothing, absolutely NOTHING, on LA when it comes to distractions, not caring about football, etc. In the early 2000s, USC had celebrities at practice, on the sidelines during games, etc. They still kicked the crap out of everyone for a couple of years (until VY). Austin is a great town but football players are revered everywhere and have been for decades. There are distractions everywhere. Austin isn't special in that respect. If you're looking for the problem, start with the coaches. Teams reflect their coaches.

Also, that was game two.

• Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Four losses is what most people expected. Five is concerning. Six is bad. A losing season is a disaster.

I expected a 9 and 3 season. BUT with no blow outs. This was a blow out 

4 loses and I am angry 

5 and I am beyond pissed and dejected 

6 and I'm apocalyptic

The way they played last night and im expecting a 7 and 5 year with a shit bowl game

• Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

we would have been better with Arky's backup qb last night than either one we have, we needed the fastest player on the field at qb. Actually I'm happy as hell that guy didn't start for Arky, he would have housed a few runs from 70 yards.

I’m talking about what we have to work with. Out of Casey and card I’ll take Casey all day long. Card looked like a scared 9th grader starting on varsity. I’m only worried sark still thinks card is the guy and maybe that’s why he didn’t play Casey till the 4th.

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’ve mentioned this same sentiment for several years also. Entitlement, and at the same time victimhood, are the calling cards of the woke society at large and Austin is at the forefront. If not consciously then subconsciously, that thinking does not lend itself to pulling yourself up by the bootstraps when the going gets tough. And if you think we are soft now wait until NIL really kicks in. Not trying to make this a CR discussion, I’m just grasping at straws with how consistently top 10 classes and coaches who supposedly know their Xs and Os when hired can suddenly create a steaming pile of shit when mixed together. And we could just all be overreacting to a coach in his 2nd game who hasn’t had one recruiting class yet that got his shit pushed in with what he has to work with. I don’t think he thinks he can win with either QB. Like every other coach we have to give them the requisite 3 years. Fuck it. I think I woke up drunk. Gonna be a long season. I’m too old for this shit.

What is a “woke society?”

6 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I expected a 9 and 3 season. BUT with no blow outs. This was a blow out 

4 loses and I am angry 

5 and I am beyond pissed and dejected 

6 and I'm apocalyptic

The way they played last night and im expecting a 7 and 5 year with a shit bowl game

I thought they looked like a 7-5 team after the Spring game. Then we beat LA handily and I’m thinking ‘show me a loss.’  Glad to get a reality check now before we get trucked by TCU and others.  Back to thinking 7-5 at best … 

Sark is the non-asshole version of Turtle Tom -- change my mind.

1) Bad personnel decisions:
Turtle: Keontay over Bijan and RoJo; not using RoJo at the goal line
Sark: Card over Casey and not switching until it was way too late; not using RoJo at the goal line

2) Bad play calling:
Turtle: Trying to hammer Sam in at the goal line on 4 straight attempts
Sark: Trying to hammer K. Robinson in at the goal line on 3 straight attempts; Trying to hammer Bijan through on a 4th and 2 when everyone knew it was coming and when our OL was severely outmatched

3) Not planning around our weak OL

4) Poor in-game decisions:
Turtle: Not taking the points on chip-shots
Sark: Trying to take the points on 50+ yard FG attempts.  Could we at least try Bert Auburn?

5) Personality:
Turtle: Asshole
Sark: Too nice; won't even confront the refs over late cheap shots against our QB and multiple missed targetings

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Ha, you're talking about woke culture but don't want to make this political.  Next time your wife makes mashed potatoes, stick your dick in them and then tell her you don't want to talk about the mashed potatoes and see how that works out for you.

It’s going to be that kinda party?

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’m talking about what we have to work with. Out of Casey and card I’ll take Casey all day long. Card looked like a scared 9th grader starting on varsity. I’m only worried sark still thinks card is the guy and maybe that’s why he didn’t play Casey till the 4th.

In the Card vs Casey conversation I wonder if Card is a better practice player than Casey. There is definitely a ‘scrappiness’ to Casey’s game that you probably don’t see in practice. Case in point the horrible pick 6 he threw in the Spring Game. Maybe Sark and company will wake up to the fact about the better game day competitor.