All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

40 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They made the cast larger?!?  I’m not even mad.  That’s amazing.

They could whittle that cast down from 21 (WTF?) to about 8 people and lose absolutely nothing.  

This. 

Lorne's response to criticism that last season's cast was too large and unwieldly is to add more cast members. Never change. 

12 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And it’s not even like he made wholesale changes.  It’s just the same people, again, with a couple more big players who will never be in a sketch in a meaningful role.  

Are we sure some of these people in the cast really still work on the show?   Like, did Melissa Villasenor actually leave 2 years ago and she still gets a credit because of some HR glitch or weird SAG union rule?  Nobody knows.

So we fixed the glitch.

I had to double check that Melissa Villasenor is still on the cast. I like her, I'm not sure why, but I notice when she's in stuff and it's pretty rare. Pete Davidson is another weird one, although at least there's an explanation there (and he usually has a handful of sketches a season that are all/mostly him).

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

And it’s not even like he made wholesale changes.  It’s just the same people, again, with a couple more bit players who will never be in a sketch in a meaningful role.  

Are we sure some of these people in the cast really still work on the show?   Like, did Melissa Villasenor actually leave 2 years ago and she still gets a credit because of some HR glitch or weird SAG union rule?  Nobody knows.

They moved her office to the basement

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but Sarah Sherman performs as Sarah Squirm and is into live-action Ren and Stimpy levels of gross bodily comedy and overacting.  No idea how or if they'll incorporate any of that into the show, but it would be WILD if they did.  Like people turning off the TV and writing actual, physical letters, wild.

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

That there's a non-zero chance that he'll kill himself if he's fired?

I don’t know the whole deal but I don’t think HR would let them can me for being suicidal and if that’s how they roll at snl that’s ok with me. People hate on him and he seems like an easy guy to hate in but he has some funny moments as well

9 hours ago, kilroydos said:

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but Sarah Sherman performs as Sarah Squirm and is into live-action Ren and Stimpy levels of gross bodily comedy and overacting.  No idea how or if they'll incorporate any of that into the show, but it would be WILD if they did.  Like people turning off the TV and writing actual, physical letters, wild.

I hadn’t looked up who the new cast members are. Guess they found the new guy to take over dad roles from beck bennett 

image.thumb.png.682a910312adcc2bd7c0f4a193590bf2.png

Cold open sucked. Owen Wilson's monologue was decent. Cars 4 skit was legit funny. School Board meeting was spot on. Weekend Update killed. Nice Norm tribute, but could have used more OJ jokes. Nana's funeral made me lulz. Joe Buck impersonation was great. Mail in stool test was meh but did have a Chris Redd sighting. Kacey Musgraves was great. B-

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/4/2021 at 10:26 PM, Chuckie Finster said:

James Austin Johnson had one of the strongest debut episodes I can remember. Looking forward to seeing more from him.

They’re definitely pushing him in as many skits as possible.  

Just watched the Kim K episode from this past weekend.  She was a tremendously awful host.  

I'll give her credit, she seemed to commit to hosting at least.  She hit her marks, read her lines at the right pace, and knew when to step back and let the funny people be funny.  She obviously had to sign off on about a dozen jokes at her expense as well. 

She's not remotely funny, has no sense of delivery, and seems to be completely void of any talent whatsoever despite having been surrounded by artistic talents for decades.  I don't like that they burned a hosting slot that should have gone to someone funny...but that's where the country is and Lorne knows that.  

The Kim K episode was probably the worst episode of SNL I've seen in recent memory. Thoroughly unfunny the entire episode, and it wasn't all on Kim. 

The writing and performances on this show are just very shitty. Everyone is just mailing it in for the big paycheck/lack of accountability. No one is willing to challenge themselves and go for it with a new character. Bowen Yang's Iceberg being one of the lone exceptions. 

I suspect SNL gets a pretty decent number every week because viewers watch it out of habit. 

Next day on Hulu probably helps a lot as well. SNL is about an hour without ads. It's a quick watch on Sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have the slightest amount of respect for Kim K for allowing them to write a bunch of jokes for her monologue that poke at everything everyone was already thinking.

Still working my way through episode 2 of this season, but I did see a clip of the… whatever they’re calling the new SNL Digital Short guys, and it was funny and had enough absurdity to make me eager to see what kind of other shit they do.

You talking about the Hard Seltzer sketch?  That was the highlight of the episode for me.  

I think one of the guys in it was a writer and the other two are new cast/featured players. 

Even for a 10-to-1 sketch, I thought it was the funniest.  And they rarely use that slot for a pre-recorded piece.  But it was also a callback for something that would have come out of a coke-out marathon writing session in the old days.  Belushi, Aykroyd, and Murray sitting around thinking of something silly for the 10-to-1 and it's 3:00a on Friday morning.  Belushi's looking at all the empty bottles around the room, wondering why there's so many brands of light beer.  Three lines later, the Jiffy Lube Hard Seltzer is born.  

I noticed McKinnon wasn't in it at all.  She filming a movie I take it? 

Is that for real, a marshmallow flavored drink with alcohol in it?  If ever there was an appropriate time for "Who are the Ad Wizards who came up with this one?'

I mean, that just screams "hangover diarrhea !!!!!" 

Hey fellas, remember that time as a kid you ate so many s'more at summer camp, your tummy got upset and you threw up in your bunk and all the other kids made fun of you until camp ended?  Well, now imagine time traveling to give your 9-year old self several shots of tequila to go with it?!?   New from Budweiser!  

On 10/13/2021 at 9:19 AM, Lobo said:

You talking about the Hard Seltzer sketch?  That was the highlight of the episode for me.  

I think one of the guys in it was a writer and the other two are new cast/featured players. 

Even for a 10-to-1 sketch, I thought it was the funniest.  And they rarely use that slot for a pre-recorded piece.  But it was also a callback for something that would have come out of a coke-out marathon writing session in the old days.  Belushi, Aykroyd, and Murray sitting around thinking of something silly for the 10-to-1 and it's 3:00a on Friday morning.  Belushi's looking at all the empty bottles around the room, wondering why there's so many brands of light beer.  Three lines later, the Jiffy Lube Hard Seltzer is born.  

I noticed McKinnon wasn't in it at all.  She filming a movie I take it? 

yeah, that was the best thing from the Kim K episode. Leading into it they had a title "Please Don't Destroy" - hopefully these guys are tryna be the new Lonely Island

Jason Sudeikis episode is awesome. Cold open was pretty meh, but a nice callback. Monologue got kinda dusty. Science Room has me in tears. Annie skit was funny. Parent / Teacher conference was great. Jake's non-stick underwear was good. Brandi Carlile was great. Weekend Update was fantastic with a visit from The Devil. The return of What's Up With That? (Halloween Edition). Writing of the Declaration of Independence was good. Indecent Proposal was funny. Easily the best episode of the last several seasons. A+

• Hook 'Em 2