All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Brandi Carlisle can SANG!

speaking of what's up with that...seems a legit trend recently to see what other celebs may be hanging out in NYC for the week and get them to drop in for a cameo. they've always done it every once in a while ( Deniro is most common, i assume he lives in NYC) but they seem to do it with more frequency now. i liked 'again, i am NICHOLAS BRAUN!' 😄

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Bring in Carvey to do it.

It would follow Lorne’s time honored tradition of throwing money down a hole at problems. 

Biden is kind of a tough impression. He’s an Everyman, but also standoffish, and incredulous at times. It’s hard to get both right. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I had forgotten about What's Up With That. Watched past episodes on YouTube, so good.

The new Biden guy isn't very good, but it's close enough it might get better. The Sudeikis version is not much like him at all, but funny in the stereotype. My favorite was Woody Harrelson. Jim Carrey was pretty good. This new guy needs a lot of work.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Captainant said:

The opening skit ran a few minutes too long imo. Impressive trumpian performance, but didn't really have a punchline aside from the ramble lol

i mean that was the punchline...the "gimme 60 seconds on the clock" 🤣 the first time the audience was just enthralled and erupted when he finished, the second time you could tell they were excited he was gonna do it again lol

• Like 1

Have hated SNL for several years but still watch a few skits most weeks just hoping for something decent. The new Trump is eerily good. And very uncomfortable. Having battled cable companies for years, we laughed at the cable skit. It wasn’t really a skit. It was a reenactment of my calls to the cable company. 

Edited by Dbeasy

I chuckled a bunch, except for the Dionne Warwick sketch. They need to stop going to that one. And what in the hell was the skateboarding jockey sketch. That was awful. Enjoyed Weekend Update, The Heist, and the Men's Room sketches. The Weatherman sketch was decent. 

I'll forgive the Dionne Warwick sketch because they actually had Dionne Warwick. The rest you're not wrong about.

Also, this is the first time I've listened to Ed Sheeran (that I know of). He's not bad, but why did he sing the same song twice?

Edited by RPM

i lol'd at the Spectrum and the men's room sketches. horse jockey was terrible. i wanted to laugh at Cecily's clown on WU...but it just made me angry. lol? 

it was cute that he was onstage with his brother 30 years ago, the strongman arms when Kevin Nealon picked him up was adorable. 

This week was pretty meh, but there were a few bright spots. The new girl's bit on WU was great. Three Sad Virgins video was good and Man Park was pretty funny. I'm not particularly a Taylor Swift fan, but her performance was awesome. 10 minutes. Was that the longest musical performance in SNL history?

Edited by RPM

she only performed once, yeah? i really didn't pay attention to the song, guess it was about another old bf lol. her 'bridge' in Three Sad Virgins took it up a notch 😄

yeah that WU bit with the new girl was surprisingly funny 😄 

ETA ok i looked it up and yes it's about an old bf but the cool part (and why i do really like her even tho she doesn't sing my kind of music) is that SNL version is a re-release of the original from 2012...i dig that she figured out a way to game the system and own her own art. smart girl, good for her.

Edited by mchookem

41 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ETA ok i looked it up and yes it's about an old bf but the cool part (and why i do really like her even tho she doesn't sing my kind of music) is that SNL version is a re-release of the original from 2012...i dig that she figured out a way to game the system and own her own art. smart girl, good for her.

She was on Seth Meyers the other night and the story is her original collection was sold (she didn't have control/bad contract) so she re-recorded the songs and added stuff that had been cut to make it on an album. It's kinda long, but interesting interview.

Apparently, this particular song was never expected to be big, but became a cult hit for her. 

This week was pretty meh, but there were a few bright spots. The new girl's bit on WU was great. Three Sad Virgins video was good and Man Park was pretty funny. I'm not particularly a Taylor Swift fan, but her performance was awesome. 10 minutes. Was that the longest musical performance in SNL history?

Same. Neither a fanboy or hater and that was a great performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Three Sad Virgins was hilarious, and agree that new girl on WU was really good. 

It's strange seeing these guys suddenly pop up on SNL now.  I went down a Twitter rabbit hole and discovered some of their skits and followed them last year.  This was a good one from a while back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was standing in line at the Comedy Cellar in New York a few weeks ago (October 25th to be exact) and noticed a guy standing in front of me chatting with the door staff. He looked familiar but couldn't place him. He went in way before the rest of the crowd. Watched SNL a few weeks later and suddenly realized it was this Athari guy. I know, csb. 

BTW, the Comedy Cellar is totally worth a visit if you're ever in NYC. Dave Attell went on that night until 2am.....on a Monday night. Good times. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

maybe just me...but more hits than misses so far this season. 

plenty lol tonight. skits with live animals will never not be funny. new Trump guy approaching uncanny valley. 

new cast members, male and female, contributing a lot (i don't know any of their names yet lol)

never heard of host or musical guest.

• Like 1

I thought this was hilarious and awesome.

Marc Cohn and Method Man make it.

That was legit the best parody they’ve done since probably Dick in a Box.

“What do you mean I’m already in it?!?” Abs Method man popping up were funniest parts.

I didn’t think I’d ever really say this…but when are we going to admit that SNL is actually…good again? Been a long time. But they hit more than miss now.

I remember when Jost and Che first came on weekend update and everyone hated them. Now they’re one of the best parts too.

But the writers and performers are much better now than 10 years ago. Hood stuff.