All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Man I'm bummed it's not on Hulu as i don't have any other way to watch it. And I'm not fucking paying for Peacock. I guess maybe it's on Peacock ad supported? I might download peacock for that.

Keenan is almost never the thing that really stands out and makes you laugh at the sketch - he's been on for 20 years because he's reliable and holds it together. It's a weird niche.

Can't you watch it on demand from your provider?

• 2 weeks later...

I know there’s a new episode literally airing as I type, but I’m still trying to force my way thru last week’s episode. I’m a massive SNL fan/defender, but the Megan Thee Stallion ep was a complete disaster. Workout Studio with the flat ass girls may have been the worst sketch from a technical standpoint in years. Otherwise, not much to laugh at. Singers and athletes are always risky hosts. Really good actors, even if not traditionally comedic, usually fare the best, as long as they adapt well to the cue cards.

Regarding Dismukes, since he’s in so many sketches, I suspect he’s writing most of the stuff that’s getting on air (you eat what you kill on SNL) and that bodes well for his future on the show. I won’t be surprised if he takes over for Jost as Head Writer one day. 

That was a great weekend update.  Return of Drunk Uncle!   But Jost and Che killed on every joke but two.   No idea who host is but he’s serviceable.  Soft opening and pre taped Halloween and Pixar pitch were funniest.  Wedding joker and bartender were awful.  Sketchers and costume interviews were decent.  

Kennan as Herschel Walker just fucking slays me.  

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That was a great weekend update.  Return of Drunk Uncle!   But Jost and Che killed on every joke but two.   No idea who host is but he’s serviceable.  Soft opening and pre taped Halloween and Pixar pitch were funniest.  Wedding joker and bartender were awful.  Sketchers and costume interviews were decent.  

Kennan as Herschel Walker just fucking slays me.  

I enjoyed it. Jack Harlow was on Gameday a few weeks ago and was a fucking trainwreck. He was much better tonight. Weekend Update is always good with Jost/Che but loved the Drunk Uncle. It was kind of stupid but I liked the Halloween "ride" sketch with Tom Hanks as David S. Pumpkins.

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

I enjoyed it. Jack Harlow was on Gameday a few weeks ago and was a fucking trainwreck. He was much better tonight. Weekend Update is always good with Jost/Che but loved the Drunk Uncle. It was kind of stupid but I liked the Halloween "ride" sketch with Tom Hanks as David S. Pumpkins.

Shit, I wondered if he'd bring back that character after the AA meeting sketch.  I fell asleep right after Update.  Gotta go find it on nbc.com

Update actually has been kind of a weak spot for me this season, even with funny guest appearances.  Delivery was fine, but the writing wasn't as strong.  But this was the best one of the season even before Drunk Uncle showed up to close it out.  And yes, bartender one was just awful.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Cecily came back and didn't skip a beat and they used her a lot.  "Questions like why am I always soft lit like a 90's Cinemax soft-core actress?"  

Watched David S. Pumpkins and it was good to see him and Moynihan together again during the Q&A/Preguntas.  

One upside to Walker winning a U.S Senate seat besides being an inspiration to my sister is more and more Keenan doing him.  They were pretty even-handed this weekend, Update had a lot of digs on Biden and the pre-recorded Democrats 2024 sketch was on the nose.  Cold opener was maybe the best of the season except Oz wasn't that great, but there's not much to work with there. 

The two people they beat the shit out of the most were Elon and Kanye and not for political reasons.  Jost had that look on his face during the brands/stores dropping Kanye like, "We didn't write any of this shit, we're just reading actual headlines." 

The back and forth between Whoopi and the host on "The View" was one I missed last night.  But that exchange made me laugh furiously before sunrise.  

Finally, I confess why was the Dora character just drunkenly saying "Tom Brady" funny?  

Again, don’t know the guy at all but he seemed to play well off the cast and let them carry his lack of comedic chops and seemed humble enough. 

Which is maybe why Lorne booked him this week with Amy Schumer coming in next week because she will insist upon herself in every fucking sketch and remind us all that she’d be as great as fey, Dreyfus, McCarthy, and Diaz all rolled up into one.  But that she’s not rewarded with enough success because she doesn’t play by the industry rules or whatever the fuck.  She can be genuinely hilarious when she can get the fuck over herself.  Genuinely curious to see how Strong gets along with her since Amy is a known joke thief and Strong hates that more than most writers.  Also CR spoiler alert,  her monologue will be quite heavy on Election Day shit.  /schumerrant

Cast is still a bit too big but new folks are impressing so far.  

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Schumer hasn’t been funny since Trainwreck, why start now? 

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Was she funny in Trainwreck? That movie was an abomination. LeBron James's acting was the high point for fuck's sake.

Someone posted this the other day and i laughed my ass off.

• Haha 2

While that was a little too on the nose and damn funny, and this is no way saying women aren't funny---but the increasingly oversized wine glasses were funnier than Amy Schumer.  But I'm gonna watch because when she's not talking about how awesome she used to be and coulda been...she can be damn funny.  Plus I know her monologue pre-Election Day is gonna have something spicy in it.  And we'll need some smiles to take the stink off the KSU loss earlier that night.

^
This.  and Ego Nwodim looked smoking hot in that jumpsuit thingy in the cold opening.  I don't know who she was supposed to be.  It's neck and neck who the sexiest female cast member is between Ego and Chloe and varies by week.  Heidi Gardner for honorable mention, she's really grown on my the last couple seasons as they let her stretch her comedic legs.  I didn't realize Devon Walker was from Austin.  

Speaking of Austin, James Johnson should have been promoted to Rep Players.