All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Yeah, Lucille is a good comparison.  She can do it all, but I think she got pigeonholed early, as she herself riffed, as being too morose and dark.  But she proved on a big stage she can do it all---light, big, dark, physical, thinkpiece, etc.  I didn't realize she was 38 (NTTAWWT), but I hope she goes on an even bigger and badder run going forward.  I don't see much new anymore so I'm sure she's in plenty but she's on her way to being in the pantheon of Tina Fey at this rate.  Loved her on SNL though, absolutely slayed.  You genuinely got the impression that this was someone who truly wanted to host the show since she was a kid, worked her way literally through studio 8H and the business overall, got her shot, and absolutely fucking crushed it with half talent and half hard work.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

That’s is fantastic.

I can only imagine the inspiration for the scene of that skit being in Brenham, TX came from Port Neches native Andrew Dismukes scarred as a ~10 yo trying to escape Rita via 290 in Brenham.

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s is fantastic.

I can only imagine the inspiration for the scene of that skit being in Brenham, TX came from Port Neches native Andrew Dismukes scarred as a ~10 yo trying to escape Rita via 290 in Brenham.

I wonder if Hugo is supposed to be representative of Beto somehow?

I was being sarcastic.  Chapelle, maybe more than any other comic since Carlin, holds a mirror up to us better (and more hilariously) than anybody else.  His matter-of-fact riffing even during an SNL monologue, which should be tight and short like Herve's butthole...listening to him meander and still nail salient points is a national treasure.  What makes him triply hilarious to me is so many of his fans who claim to love him...then kinda tap out when he gets "political."  Like, that's in his bones.  It's his DNA.  His stroke of utter fucking genius was walking away from his show because of the people that overlooked his pithy genius of standup because it was a departure of his silly sketches which eventually morphed into his white fanbase proclaiming, 'Well, he's so damn funny even during standup but what does he have to be so gosh darn controversial going after the politicians we like so much?' It's gonna take a decade to unpack his subversive layers.  I was never a huge fan of his show honestly, but watching him wax poetic on a  stage like SNL where that's not really the point of the monologue is just icing on the cake.  He's operating at a level that MAGA or BIDEN camps don't really see.  Shit, I don't see it either but that's why I love the ride.  I don't even know that I like his finished craft as much as most of you, I just enjoy the man at his process.  There's so much more going on.  And his "I can't be racist, I have downloaded 4 Chapelle specials" crowd make it even more fucking delicious.  

Anyway, potato hole.  

I enjoy the genius of Chappelle. I don’t enjoy the stupidity of white dudes doing Chappelle riffs word for word. Uhh I don’t think you greatly get it.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like Pascal, but it was a remarkably unfunny episode. 

He was fantastic.  It follows in a long, recent non-coke fueled trend of when its the 3rd episode of a 3-straight week live run......the last one just runs outta gas no matter who the host;.  The Latina Mama rang true for me personally, so I loved it.  Phil on W/U was great.  What's her name from Temecula was the kinda silly humor we needed.  Overall, he was fantastic, cast and cameos were solid, but it just ran on fumes.  They did great on the fly with Chinese Balloon though, gotta give em bonus points for that.  Hard to backend a long run like that with a new host, but he hit all the notes he could, well done.  Didn't watch Coldplay.  I'm not cool, I'm just tired.  W/U was all over the place.  Not in a good way.  

Pascal was good with the material he was given.  Bowen Yang doing inanimate objects is played.   They need to turn Sarah Sherman loose more often.  Lisa from Temecula cutting her steak brought more laughs than expected.  
They’ve had some great stupid physical humor lately with that one and the rollercoaster accident from last week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mchookem said:

my god the guy who does Trump is absolutely in uneasy uncanny valley territory. 😳 

also i love Jack White so, so much 🤘

I'm procrastinating getting ready for church, but always read the Sunday morning takes from y'all.  His Trump is beyond parody now.  Baldwin was just cartoonish satire that probably went on too long.  But JAJ's deal, it's not an impression, it's not an homage, it's not even that critical.  I mean the lines are funny and times 'em well, and I laugh a bit.  And I'm not so much uncomfortable, it's something else.  He's crossing over into something else that I think there's a name for yet.  Even for SNL, I haven't seen anything like this.  I don't think we're gonna what this was until it's all over.  

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Cologuard “ad” with Woody Harrelson was hilarious. The SNL writers’ was really good too.

This was a little silly with the constant German "shit in me" references after the initial premise.  But when Fukes is watching him from across the street and the boxes are real boxes again and Woody yanks down his pants and bends over, I fucking lost it. Loudest laugh of whole episode for me.  "Please Don't Destroy" was good to see back (Can't remember that last one).  Those guys really commit to a bit.  

59 minutes ago, RPM said:

Jack White kicks all kinds of ass. WU was off the chart great. Jokes like that are usually saved for the year ender. Woody got his jacket.

I don''t know why but I felt this was a weaker W/U.  Funny but nowhere near the recent standard.  I dunno.  Che was spot-on, moreso than usual.  But I felt the other jokes and two guest appearances tried too hard.  Glad Woody got his jacket, I fell asleep late in the episode.  

csb/ back in  2018, having lunch in midtown at Gallagher's.  Typical business lunch spot.  Big booth off to the side is Jack White and his band.  Forget who was hosting that week.  But we had a long, but sober lunch.  Whole time Jack and Co. are slamming martinis.  I figure they have rehearsal but true rock 'n roller style are gonna show up late and fucked up.  But Jack jumps up and says, "We're never late for SNL, let's go!"  They all file out like pros to 30 Rock.  And days later, kick-ass as usual on SNL.  And still doing that today.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I don''t know why but I felt this was a weaker W/U.  Funny but nowhere near the recent standard.  I dunno.  Che was spot-on, moreso than usual.  But I felt the other jokes and two guest appearances tried too hard. 

I agree with the rest of your take, not this. I thought WU was above par.

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Who is dressing the hosts? 3 straight male hosts wearing blouses. 

Do you mean because it is the same style 3 times? Isn't what they wear a combo of host choice and along with a dresser consultation? I admit I don't know how that all works.

The looser blouse has been trending for awhile though: (I used the less basic examples and more fashion-y ones)

Brand Profile: Valentino (Best Men's Valentino Clothing)

That's Valentino above.

Devil Fashion Black Flounce Tie Gothic Blouse for Men - DarkinCloset.com

Here's two more:

Spoiler

Photo: Eddie Redmayne Attends the SAG Awards in Los Angeles ...

Pin by Nora Benn on purple harry styles | Purple aesthetic, Women, Style

Ryan Gosling, back when he did his monologue (after La La Land came out) wore a sweater with a jacket and it was perfectly Ryan Gosling. (He's worn other stuff, but that one just fits his personality to a T).

Saturday Night Live: "Ryan Gosling / Jay-Z" :: Comedy :: Reviews ...

I love it when men wear the traditional button down dresswear, but I also love it when they are unafraid to try clothes that push boundaries. Both are great and if you feel great wearing it, then go for it.

Woody was clearing not sober and it clearly affected his performance not in a good wat.  His monologue in particular was clunky and seemed like he wasn't trying very hard.  I had the thought that I don't see him being in the Six TImers Club after that.

Edited by mdleast

I love the JAJ Trump as long as it's not every week. Just about every line is funny but also mostly plausible. He was kind of the same as Bill Walton on WU. Absolutely nailed the voice and style. I doubt much of the audience follows Walton as a broadcaster if they know him at all, but it still worked.

Less than usual Bowen Yang, but he and Woody were perfect in the classy gym sketch. 

• Haha 2

Yeah, forgot to mention that was such a weird sketch but they both played it so well I ended up watching it three times and it got funnier and funnier.  

"What's that you're playing?"

"A big piano, sir."  

I didn't think anything of the monologue other than Woody was obviously high as shit and mentioned Austin twice.  But then 2/3rds of the country ran to corners to claim he was saying something about vaccine conspiracies.  And I'm left thinking, "All you dumbfucks, he's a fucked-up 60 year old celebrity reading cue cards...thats the extent of it."  

But I keep coming back to James Austin Johnson, even non-partisan Smerconish was talking about this earlier this week.  It's parody in a strict sense of using direct quotes, but it's not really.  And it's certainly beyond the pale of cliche SNL satire.  He's already crossed over into not just something original for SNL but perhaps for all political comedy writ-large in America.  I don't know what it is yet.  I don't think they know what it is.  You know it's fucking next level because haters and lovers both don't bitch or laud it.  It's this other thing.  I mean Chase as Ford, Dan as Carter, Carvey as Bush, Hartman as Clinton, et. al.  It's as old as Presidents on TV itself.  But this is something very, very different.  I really don't know what to make of it.  And nobody else does either.  Wish I had some gummies for next week.  

• Hook 'Em 1