All things SNL

Dr. Teeth

Best episode of the season. So many skits had me cracking up. A+ episode for sure

Ranking them:

The name gameshow
Ejector toilet
Davidson scream
MCKinnon In the cinema noir skit was gold
Bodega musical
Stinky meat (mostky because they couldn’t stop laughing)
Cold open

The only meh skits were the following two
Black wedding
Shark tank

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Kyle Mooney had a pretty good video that ironically was cut for time.

Amazing how much money and effort gets spent on a piece that just gets tossed aside. Might have been the funniest part of the show. You could tell right away Idris just wasn't comfortable with the live stuff. 

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, bluto said:

Ya, another weak one... gotta put some of it on the host as she's not exactly a comedic gold mine. 

She was far better than most hosts.  She only gets the material she gets -- at least she didn't read monotonously off the cue cards, which happens too often, even with "actors".

Is Kate McKinnon still on the show?  She’s one of the top talents over the past few years and it’s like she’s been almost completely removed from the skits.   

If so, it’s probably at her request. They were working her ass off. She doesn’t really need the exposure any longer.

Just of the top of my head, she was Giuliani and the creepy “Kiss!” old dame in Saturday’s show, so she’s not MIA. But yes, they will often reduce a workload when a cast member has a movie or other project they are working on, which wouldn’t be a surprise for her.

Speaking of workhorses, I’m pretty sure Kenan has easily been in more sketches than any other cast member in history, and it’s not just because he’s now the longest tenured cast member... dude is literally in almost every bit. He never breaks (Davidson can’t keep from giggling even when he’s not delivering his lines), you don’t see him struggling with cue cards, and much of that work is while singing, which means he’s also attempting to mantain a tune (yes, he could be performing the most obnoxious song since his last one). He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but he’s been a fucking late night warrior for16 years. He apparently has a pilot he’s shooting, and I’m sure he’d like to move on, because that’s what you’re supposed to do. 

53 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was watching an old SNL episode from forever ago, with Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon, Maya Rudolph, etc.... and sure enough, yep there's Kenan. I'm pretty sure he came in with Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the SNL cast in the mid 2000s with Fey, Poehler, Armisen, Wiig, Rudolph, Sudekis, Samberg, Thompson, Parnell, Forte, Dratch, Meyers, and Hader was really, really good.

• Like 1

This might be an unpopular opinion, but the SNL cast in the mid 2000s with Fey, Poehler, Armisen, Wiig, Rudolph, Sudekis, Samberg, Thompson, Parnell, Forte, Dratch, Meyers, and Hader was really, really good.

You’re a moron! Those talentless hacks couldn’t carry Charles Rocket’s jock.

#1980castrules

On 3/31/2019 at 11:49 PM, Queen Bitch said:

Cecily Strong as Jeannie was pretty aces.

Cecily is great, but she sticks mostly to writing now. When she was doing WU she got a lot of hate mail and body shaming. She's not a stick figure but she's not Aidy Bryant, either. I think it was her choice to work more off camera.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, Chet Steadman said:

I had no idea who Sandra Oh was before this weekend but I thought she did very well all things considered.  

Want to know how I know you've never watched Arli$$?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

A really underrated era was the late 90s /early 2000s with the Clinton/Lewinsky stuff, Bush-Gore election, and Will Ferrell and Adam McKay doing insane skits like Neil Diamond singing about killing drifters to get an erection.  

"Few people know that I am fueled creatively by my massive hatred of immigrants." 

40 minutes ago, RPM said:

Cecily is great, but she sticks mostly to writing now. When she was doing WU she got a lot of hate mail and body shaming. She's not a stick figure but she's not Aidy Bryant, either. I think it was her choice to work more off camera.

Um... okay?

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter is making me watch tonight because BTS is the musical guest. I haven’t watched one in probably 15 years.

My daughter didn't care about BTS. But if it were Stray Kids or Seventeen on SNL, you better believe we'd be watching.

Edited by ajax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluto said:

white/non-asian american girls are into the androgynous japanese boy band? like girls my age got into backstreet/nsync back in the day? 

Every generation throws a hero up the pop charts - paul simon

The Beatles -> The Monkees -> The Osmonds -> The Jackson 5 -> Menudo -> Bay City Rollers -> New Edition -> NKOTB ->Boyz II Men -> Backstreet Boys -> *Nsync -> Jonas Brothers -> One Direction -> BTS

If I had to order that list from best to worst, BTS would probably beat half the list. Yeah, I said it.

And if you ranked all of SNL's musical guests over the years, they'd probably be the top half of that as well.  I don't know what the hell they were saying, but they brought some energy.

• Like 1