Post Malone

midtown

Surprised there isn't a thread.  He's pretty popular  Has Texas roots.   Some people think he's a poser.   I like his music and I'm not sure anyone is making music like he is or really ever has.   What's the shag consensus?

Team Post Malone.

I'm not in high school anymore so I couldn't care less if he's a poser or not, I just dig his music. By his interviews he seems like a chill likable dude too. Check out his Hot Ones interview, funny stuff.

Until Post Malone it had always been a huge mystery to me that despite being the fourth largest metro area in the country and so close to rap star fertile Houston and New Orleans, DFW had never produced a massively popular hip-hop/rap superstar (I'm not counting Vanilla Ice who from what I could tell repped being from Miami more than Dallas or someone like Dorrough who I don't think has had anywhere near the kind of airplay or chart success).

Heard the other day that Post Malone has done something that nobody -- not even the Beatles -- has ever done. He had nine songs in the Hot 100 songs at one time. The Beatles and J. Cole once had six. I hate this fucking country sometimes.

• Like 1

My 11 year old loves him.  At least he's more melodic than most rap/hip hop guys.  I don't think he's that great, but I'm old and like old fart music.  

I have an 11 year old that loves him some Post Malone too. I was surprised when he told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 11 year old that loves him some Post Malone too. I was surprised when he told me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine also. Some of Post’s stuff is pretty good and I actually dig it. The rest of the shitty trap garbage he likes is flat awful. “Pillls, hoes, money, weed” over and over. Ugh

He’s got some a few videos of himself singing country on YouTube. I like him. I’ve only heard a few songs, and they were pretty good, but it’s the interviews/behind the scene footage I’ve seen that makes me like him. Seems like a pretty cool guy. Nice guy, not all occupied with being violent and angry like a lot of his peers.

Pretty sure he graduated from Grapevine High School. Don't really like his music but he is obviously very creative which I can respect. Not sure how many Uzis he saw going Ra-ta-ta-taaah on Glade and 26. The creativity that people like Post Malone and Cody Jinks has is really mind blowing wish i had just 1% of their creative mind. Post singing about guns and stuff and Cody being a Heavy Metal guy from Haltom City and now a Country Western star.  No hate from me hell Im jealous of their talents. 

On 5/13/2018 at 6:51 PM, D_Goose said:

Until Post Malone it had always been a huge mystery to me that despite being the fourth largest metro area in the country and so close to rap star fertile Houston and New Orleans, DFW had never produced a massively popular hip-hop/rap superstar (I'm not counting Vanilla Ice who from what I could tell repped being from Miami more than Dallas or someone like Dorrough who I don't think has had anywhere near the kind of airplay or chart success).

Post is the biggest for sure. Don't sleep on Yella Beezy coming out of Oak Cliff. 

Dorrough got hated on locally cause he was from Lancaster claiming Dallas. Post Malone has missed all that local bullshit and just blew up

Edited by Zepol87

Someone post a video of his that's good.  I don't mean like "he's shit, prove me wrong" -  I mean like "I made it 20 seconds into something but was meh and would probably actually listen to a song if I knew it was a good representation

I don’t know that any of it is good, let alone great. You’d probably have the same inexplicable reaction to License To Ill as my parents did back in the day when I was 10. Simplistic, repetitive and rather dumb-it’s what kids crave.,

Yeah but we're twenty posts in talking about how this guy is really creative and talented and some of his stuff is pretty good.  It's not a school talent show where you're looking for the upside to a 9 year old playing recorder - there's a song you guys like, right?  But some of it sucks?  What's one of the good ones, because I'd like to give it a shot.

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

All of his songs/singing/rapping seem like something nearly anyone cold do.

But they didn't.  That's kind of like saying.  Anyone can create windows software.   If it was so obviously easy why is he blowing up by doing it?    My understanding is that a lot of his rise is from the fact that he utilized soundcloud to get a ton of followers and once he dropped an album social media blew him up.   

1 hour ago, midtown said:

But they didn't.  That's kind of like saying.  Anyone can create windows software.   If it was so obviously easy why is he blowing up by doing it?    My understanding is that a lot of his rise is from the fact that he utilized soundcloud to get a ton of followers and once he dropped an album social media blew him up.   

Hey, art is art.  Pollock sold the world paint splatter.  Fully recognize I don’t have to get or like it.  

Edited by Incredulity

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah but we're twenty posts in talking about how this guy is really creative and talented and some of his stuff is pretty good.  It's not a school talent show where you're looking for the upside to a 9 year old playing recorder - there's a song you guys like, right?  But some of it sucks?  What's one of the good ones, because I'd like to give it a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't name 2 songs of his, I do like the Congratulations song, but I see videos of him pop up on the twitter where he's singing with a mariachi band or singing some cheesy 80's song with a group of friends.  Based on what I've seen he seems hard to not like.  I think I'm getting too old for his music, my 11 year old loves him, but he seems like he'd be a blast to have a few beers with

Yeah exactly. While the MO of most of today’s rappers is to SCREAM incessantly about how many people they’ve killed and hard and legit they are (even the chubby, 5’6” ones with rainbow hair) this guy just seems to be a normal dude who doesn’t take himself nearly as seriously, which is appealing.

My kids love him. I had no idea DJ Screw's slowed down syrup sipping sound went mainstream.

The guy is a pretty funny goofball and would fit right in on the surly. He doesn't take himself seriously at all. He's well aware he's living a charmed life and he is thankful for it. Likes to amuse himself with photo bombing with that huge goofy grin of his.  He put his name in an online your rap name generator,  a few years ago, and it came up Post Malone and he went with it.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

• 3 years later...
7 hours ago, Bookman said:

I've spent the last four days listening to his music and god damn I think he is talented.

Can't believe I'm actually listening to hip hop.

I listened to him like 10 times like that. Tried to like him but didn’t understand or get it, then bam it happened. He’s good he’s talented and from what I’ve read/seen seems like a good dude that likes to party and drink bud light 

• Hook 'Em 1