2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

50 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

What kind of career expactations do we have for Scottie now? A few majors and twenty wins?

Thats probably a stretch for this season, but give him until the end of 23. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2

Tonight or tomorrow (can't remember 'cause I'm old)...Tower being lit on top for Scottie's victory and new #1 world ranking.  We're also throwing Ernie Els off the top of it for cheating at golf and enabling others to cheat.  But it'll be tasteful.  

21 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

When did Scottie and Ted team up?  To go from one of the bigger dbags to Scottie is a pro move out of Teddy

Found this recent article...

Who Is Scottie Scheffler's Caddie?

Scottie Scheffler’s caddie is Ted Scott. Scott had previously caddied for Bubba Watson for 15 years, but that partnership ended in September 2021.

Scheffler knew Scott from attending bible study together and from when he had partnered Watson in the Zurich Classic of New Orleans. Scheffler explained of Scott that “I just think the world of him as a person so that was why I was attracted to him just being a potential good partner for me out on the course.”

Scott, who also teaches golf online, had intended to focus more on his teaching after giving up Watson’s bag, having spent 21 years caddying – before Watson he had worked for Paul Azinger and Grant Waite. But Scheffler asked him to be his caddie, telling him “I really want to work with a Christian. That’s how I try to live my life.”

Of the decision of whether to become Scheffler’s caddy, Scott explains that he “asked my family to pray upon it for a week. They came back and said to go caddie for Scottie.”

“Bubba and I are still very good friends,” says Scott. “We just had some different ideas in our life of where we are and where we wanted to go.”   Watson paid his friend eloquent tribute on Instagram last September when Scott left his bag. “After 15 incredible years together, Teddy and I have decided to end our on-course partnership. We recently came to the decision after some deep talks, not only about golf but life. When we met I don’t think we ever imagined how much we would experience together. Teddy deserves more credit than anyone can imagine for our success on the golf course, but I am just as grateful for his friendship and the way he has helped me grow as a person.”

Scheffler, who has a multi-year deal with TaylorMade, has had an unusual career – he had risen to world number 11 and become a multi-millionaire without having won on Tour. But he had given several glimpses of his ability, such as in August 2020 when he finished tied fourth at the 2020 PGA Championship and then shot a 12-under 59 at The Northern Trust, a shot shy of the PGA Tour record and only the 11th round of 59 in PGA Tour history. (Jim Furyk recorded the PGA Tour’s only 58 at the 2016 Travelers Championship.)

Then, in his fifth tournament with Scott as his caddie, Scheffler finally notched that PGA Tour win, at the Waste Management Phoenix Open. Scott however was keen not to take any credit: “This dude was a world-class player before I stepped foot on the bag,” he said. “Don’t make it like I have some special potion because I don’t.”

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 12:06 PM, Juicy said:

Well this is happening at Oakland Hills right now. So much for the US open coming back 

Interesting gambit by Oakland Hills, torch the clubhouse and get awarded a bunch of USGA championships - I, for one, am looking forward to Charlie Woods playing in that 2051 US Open. Seriously, WTF are they announcing courses to be played in 29 years 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2022/03/oakland-hills-michigan-host-2-us-opens-4-other-usga-events.html

Historic Oakland Hills Country Club, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., has been selected as the host site for the 2034 and 2051 U.S. Open Championships as well as four additional prestigious USGA amateur championships, starting in 2024. Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club, which had previously been scheduled to host the 2034 U.S. Open, will host instead in 2033.

“We could not be happier to bring six additional championships to such an iconic venue as Oakland Hills,” said John Bodenhamer, USGA chief championships officer. “Since its first U.S. Open in 1924, Oakland Hills has provided a supreme test for the game’s very best, and it will continue to do so for professionals and amateurs alike in the coming years.”

Adding to the two U.S. Opens and the two U.S. Women’s Opens in 2031 and 2042 announced in January, Oakland Hills’ South Course will host the 2024 U.S. Junior Amateur (July 22-27), 2029 U.S. Women’s Amateur, 2038 U.S. Girls’ Junior and 2047 U.S. Amateur. The dates of the latter three championships are to be determined. The club is set to host a total of eight USGA championships between 2024 and 2051. It will become the fifth club to have hosted a U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Women’s Amateur, with Pebble Beach set to join those ranks when it hosts the U.S. Women’s Open in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/27/2022 at 8:43 PM, StruggleBus said:

What kind of career expactations do we have for Scottie now? A few majors and twenty wins?

That's hefty. Spieth is still stuck at 3 and fairly well short of 20 unless I'm mistaken. 

I mean Rory JUST got to 20. I think DJ is the only "younger" guy with more than that. 

Edited by ztejas

15 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Interesting gambit by Oakland Hills, torch the clubhouse and get awarded a bunch of USGA championships - I, for one, am looking forward to Charlie Woods playing in that 2051 US Open. Seriously, WTF are they announcing courses to be played in 29 years 

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/articles/2022/03/oakland-hills-michigan-host-2-us-opens-4-other-usga-events.html

Historic Oakland Hills Country Club, in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., has been selected as the host site for the 2034 and 2051 U.S. Open Championships as well as four additional prestigious USGA amateur championships, starting in 2024. Oakmont (Pa.) Country Club, which had previously been scheduled to host the 2034 U.S. Open, will host instead in 2033.

“We could not be happier to bring six additional championships to such an iconic venue as Oakland Hills,” said John Bodenhamer, USGA chief championships officer. “Since its first U.S. Open in 1924, Oakland Hills has provided a supreme test for the game’s very best, and it will continue to do so for professionals and amateurs alike in the coming years.”

Adding to the two U.S. Opens and the two U.S. Women’s Opens in 2031 and 2042 announced in January, Oakland Hills’ South Course will host the 2024 U.S. Junior Amateur (July 22-27), 2029 U.S. Women’s Amateur, 2038 U.S. Girls’ Junior and 2047 U.S. Amateur. The dates of the latter three championships are to be determined. The club is set to host a total of eight USGA championships between 2024 and 2051. It will become the fifth club to have hosted a U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Amateur and U.S. Women’s Amateur, with Pebble Beach set to join those ranks when it hosts the U.S. Women’s Open in 2023.

Yeah 2051 is a bit much. but it’ll be the club’s 135 anniversary and, by my count, the 150th US Open (sans pandemic/world war/etc induced cancellation between now and then)

So yeah, nice long game with the clubhouse torching by the membership on this one

I would love to understand the economics/contract outs of something 30 years from now though.

Also, why pinehurst needs a US Open every 6 years I’m not too sure.

https://www.usopen.com/u-s--open-future-sites.html

i hope the bunker in the middle of a fucking green thing never ever catches on. i can't believe no one had the nuts to say "this is fucking stupid, stop" through the whole design and implementation process.

also, what happens when pga pros are not playing on that course. imagine the average hack trying to pick a wedge off the green over the bunker to the other side of the green. does that green look like a par 3 tee box when the valero open is not being played?

Hossler has a very timing sensitive swing. When it's on, it's on. Round 2 and 3 are great examples. His career at UT is a long example. When it's off, it's a struggle and he looks like a head case. 

People admonish the chicken wing spieth has but that is a swing designed to hold the club face square as long as possible. It's what Hogan did so well though through a different mechanism. The most consistent swings and winners, regardless of era, are those that can hold the club square through the impact zone the longest - they have the best ability to manipulate the club face as needed. 

On 4/3/2022 at 8:32 PM, dieucla98 said:

Hossler has a very timing sensitive swing. When it's on, it's on. Round 2 and 3 are great examples. His career at UT is a long example. When it's off, it's a struggle and he looks like a head case. 

People admonish the chicken wing spieth has but that is a swing designed to hold the club face square as long as possible. It's what Hogan did so well though through a different mechanism. The most consistent swings and winners, regardless of era, are those that can hold the club square through the impact zone the longest - they have the best ability to manipulate the club face as needed. 

At least his man boobs aren't as noticeable these days

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Scotty and his caddy had long visits with Crenshaw old caddy.

Crenshaw set up the same for spieth, but spieth just sent his caddy

Here's an article about Scottie meet up with Carl Jackson... 

https://www.augustachronicle.com/story/sports/pga/2022/04/10/2022-masters-scottie-scheffler-advice-ben-crenshaw-caddie-carl-jackson/9533749002/

• Hook 'Em 3

This non stop dialog around Jordan's pre shot routine is fucking tiresome. And then these talking hacks clamor on about how he's thinking too much about his swing. The whole point of his pre shot routine is to get the feel for an exaggerated position and transition - he's not thinking about his swing, he's trying to feel it. His actual swing is VERY different. He's a feel player.

Contrast this to JT's pre shot routine, he sticks the club straight back, stares at it, makes sure it's right (clubhead slightly closed, pointing up, shaft down the line), then swings. The swing is nearly identical to his pre shot routine. He's very mechanical.

Two different approaches, both of which are effective - the mechanical pre shot routine will always look prettier but it's asinine to think Jordan is all out of sorts with his full swing just because of his pre-shot routine. He's top 50 SG T2G.

It's also tiresome hearing how Jordan is a top putter on tour with a wicked short game - he just isn't anymore. Hopefully, he gets that back soon as he's apt to do.

• Hook 'Em 4