2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

BDC with the operation on his hand and a torn Labrum in his hip. 

Curse of Saudi...

Last month, DeChambeau revealed he had suffered a fractured hamate bone in his left hand and a torn labrum in his left hip. He hurt the hand when he slipped on a marble floor while playing table tennis in his hotel with Sergio Garcia and Joaquin Niemann during the Saudi International in early February. That led him to withdraw from that tournament after the opening round. The torn labrum, he said, traces back two years, to when he began speed training in order to add more distance to his game.

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Curse of Saudi...

Last month, DeChambeau revealed he had suffered a fractured hamate bone in his left hand and a torn labrum in his left hip. He hurt the hand when he slipped on a marble floor while playing table tennis in his hotel with Sergio Garcia and Joaquin Niemann during the Saudi International in early February. That led him to withdraw from that tournament after the opening round. The torn labrum, he said, traces back two years, to when he began speed training in order to add more distance to his game.

I mean that’s what he said but that’s bullshit. He hurt himself overtraining for his long distance circus. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

This non stop dialog around Jordan's pre shot routine is fucking tiresome. And then these talking hacks clamor on about how he's thinking too much about his swing. The whole point of his pre shot routine is to get the feel for an exaggerated position and transition - he's not thinking about his swing, he's trying to feel it. His actual swing is VERY different. He's a feel player.

Contrast this to JT's pre shot routine, he sticks the club straight back, stares at it, makes sure it's right (clubhead slightly closed, pointing up, shaft down the line), then swings. The swing is nearly identical to his pre shot routine. He's very mechanical.

Two different approaches, both of which are effective - the mechanical pre shot routine will always look prettier but it's asinine to think Jordan is all out of sorts with his full swing just because of his pre-shot routine. He's top 50 SG T2G.

It's also tiresome hearing how Jordan is a top putter on tour with a wicked short game - he just isn't anymore. Hopefully, he gets that back soon as he's apt to do.

Spieth is making more mental mistakes now than he was when he won two majors in the same year.  He's much worse reading putts right now -- can't believe how many times his putts inside 15ft don't even catch an edge of the hole anymore.

His tee shot on #12 that went into the water on Saturday was because he wasn't committed to the shot/club and so he failed to execute it.  Then the "mental midget" hit a 2nd fuckin' shot in the water from short range -- another mental mistake.  He hangs on to negative shots a lot longer now -- self doubt is much more of an issue than 2015.  

He's hitting shots better off the tee again, but his approach shots are not near the quality that they once were.   Again he lacks confidence and belief.  Watching him play hole-by-hole is such a grind that is self-imposed. 

I agree with the comments regarding "playing golf" and finding joy again -- quit grinding so much.  If you follow his rounds closely, more recently he tends to play worse late in rounds probably due to mental fatigue.  

Hopefully by playing more rounds in the next few weeks, he can play himself into a good spot, and start getting more Top 10's again and playing better on the weekends...

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean that’s what he said but that’s bullshit. He hurt himself overtraining for his long distance circus. 

He admitted the hip was because of that. I don't know why he would lie about the other injury. I also don't know how you fracture your hand from hitting the ball hard. 

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

He admitted the hip was because of that. I don't know why he would lie about the other injury. I also don't know how you fracture your hand from hitting the ball hard. 

It’s his hamate bone. I don’t know why this is a thing but it happens to baseball players all the time. I don’t know why the hamate bone even exists. They get it removed all the time and they are just fine. We don’t need it per se. 
It saps their power for about 6 months and then they are back to normal. It’s weird. 

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth is making more mental mistakes now than he was when he won two majors in the same year.  He's much worse reading putts right now -- can't believe how many times his putts inside 15ft don't even catch an edge of the hole anymore.

His tee shot on #12 that went into the water on Saturday was because he wasn't committed to the shot/club and so he failed to execute it.  Then the "mental midget" hit a 2nd fuckin' shot in the water from short range -- another mental mistake.  He hangs on to negative shots a lot longer now -- self doubt is much more of an issue than 2015.  

He's hitting shots better off the tee again, but his approach shots are not near the quality that they once were.   Again he lacks confidence and belief.  Watching him play hole-by-hole is such a grind that is self-imposed. 

I agree with the comments regarding "playing golf" and finding joy again -- quit grinding so much.  If you follow his rounds closely, more recently he tends to play worse late in rounds probably due to mental fatigue.  

Hopefully by playing more rounds in the next few weeks, he can play himself into a good spot, and start getting more Top 10's again and playing better on the weekends...

His tee shot on #12 was because he misread the wind. He hit a good shot that got smoked by the wind. His immediate commentary suggests as much

I'm not going to comment on the "mental" side of his game, his confidence, his belief, etc... - I don't have insight into his head, only his swing that I can see with my eyes.

3 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

His tee shot on #12 was because he misread the wind. He hit a good shot that got smoked by the wind. His immediate commentary suggests as much

I'm not going to comment on the "mental" side of his game, his confidence, his belief, etc... - I don't have insight into his head, only his swing that I can see with my eyes.

That's fair..

His comment on #12 tee shot was "that's why I didn't want to hit that shot".  It was at least an admission of a mistake in strategy...

Hopefully this is the beginning of a better stretch of golf for Spieth.

According to a hand surgeon I know, you can injure your hand just from hitting golf balls but that does seem rare to me. Any word if he had the surgery in Dallas?

Ok I see the update now:

A smiling Bryson DeChambeau, with his right hand giving a thumbs up and his left arm in a black sling, confirmed that he had “successful left wrist surgery on my fractured hook of the hamate” Thursday.

DeChambeau has been battling injuries for most of 2022. Prior to the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play in March, he revealed that he suffered a fractured hamate bone in his left hand as well as a torn labrum in his left hip.

In an Instragram post, DeChambeau said the wrist surgery was “performed by world renowned Hand Surgeon Dr. Thomas Graham. I want to thank Dr. Graham and the incredible staff and The Kettering Medical Center in Ohio.”

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s his hamate bone. I don’t know why this is a thing but it happens to baseball players all the time. I don’t know why the hamate bone even exists. They get it removed all the time and they are just fine. We don’t need it per se. 
It saps their power for about 6 months and then they are back to normal. It’s weird. 

30 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

According to a hand surgeon I know, you can injure your hand just from hitting golf balls but that does seem rare to me. Any word if he had the surgery in Dallas?

Isn't he right handed? I just don't see how you could injure your left hand just from hitting balls. 

Plus... golfers pick up weird injuries from time to time. DJ fell down some stairs at the Masters. Rory messed up his ankle playing soccer. Bryson would hurt himself playing ping pong - he definitely has that goofy boyish energy to him still. 

I don't know what the fuck a hamate is but golf is very dependent on the left hand. It's not just idle or there for support like in a lot of other sports so it doesn't shock me that the injury happened on his left side.

The modern golf swing also has you holding your left wrist through impact which I'm sure causes a lot duress - tense left wrist + 200mph ball speed sounds violent. 

On 4/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, 4th&Five said:

Jordan one off lead but there are 32 guys within 3. 

Jordan hit shots well today -- still not scoring like he should.  Not sure if he's not reading putts correctly, or just a little off on putting.

And of course, he had a dumb mental mistake on #18

8 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Nobody misses putts inside 2' like Jordan emoji2959.png

That miss on #11 was over 3ft.  Sometimes wonder if Spieth should hit shorter putts firmer and take more of the break out of those putts...

Last 7 holes are important for Spieth for next few tournaments -- he needs to get back to playing well late on Sundays.

Edit:  Crazy that he is only two strokes back with 3 poor short putts in his last 12 holes (includes #18 yesterday)

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Jordan just hit his worst drive of the week. Top 5 finish is slipping.

3 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Holy shit, what a get outta jail shot by Jordan!

Course owed him a stroke for bad break lie in bunker on #9.

Now it's up to Jordan to take advantage... 😋

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

That miss on #11 was over 3ft.  Sometimes wonder if Spieth should hit shorter putts firmer and take more of the break out of those putts...

Last 7 holes are important for Spieth for next few tournaments -- he needs to get back to playing well late on Sundays.

Edit:  Crazy that he is only two strokes back with 3 poor short putts in his last 12 holes (includes #18 yesterday)

• 66 on Sunday (-5)
  • 2 Eagles on front 9
  • 3 birdies & 2 bogeys
  • -4 on the front 9
  • -1 on the back 9
  • 3 missed putts inside 4ft

Typical round for Spieth... 😋