2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

Speaking of LIV, Norman is adopting the mindset that any press is good press, no fucks given. He may be right. I believe at least one event is to be held at a Trump course here in the US, so you know its just a matter of time before this becomes a "cancel culture" topic and the usual sides are taken. Of interest is his comment that Tiger was offered high 9 figures

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/06/06/greg-norman-pga-tour-monopolists-rory-mcilroy-brainwashed-report/

“The tour’s consultant also pitched representatives for Woods, who once staged his own public coup with the PGA Tour over marketing rights. Norman says Woods turned down a deal that was ‘mind-blowingly enormous; we’re talking about high nine digits.’ “

Yeah, Norman is calling Nicklaus out as a hypocrite and a liar. That would have been unimaginable a few years ago, but: 1) the Shark is looking to make billions or die trying, and 2) Jack has shown his ass plenty in the last 5-10 years, so much so that I think there are more than a few pros, reporters, golf execs etc that don't mind seeing him being taken down a peg or three.
  • Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, smwhorn said:

It's going to be an interesting few weeks since Brookline is next week.  DJ, Phil, Sergio and others who qualify to play it.

even more interesting is this tidbit.  we may get some behind the scenes dirt that we otherwise wouldn't, courtesy of Netflix.

Fowler came close to qualifying today for the US Open but missed and was interviewed tonight after his round and asked directly about LIV and said he intends to continue on the PGA Tour for now. Sounds like he could make the jump to LIV depending on the penalties handed out by the PGA Tour.

Said he’s flying to play a Puma outing in the next few days and then relaxing for awhile.

thats kind of ridiculous to be honest.  he can't line the ball up on the club without that?  does he have something wrong with his eyes?

Very racist…

All I know is these Saudi scum bags are going to ruin the fucking PGA tour so f them and all these assholes that are going to play in it.

I hope the majors ban them as well
  • Hook 'Em 3

Fowler would be an idiot not to take the cash. Dude's game is gone. He's about to lose his card and is getting in on sponsors' exemptions and the last run he gets for winning the TPC five years ago.

The Gnome was the Golden Boy who lost it. A nice Ian Poulter, minus the killer instinct. Fifteen years ago people thought he'd be a Ryder Cup anchor for the US. Golf's a funny game.

• Like 1

Said he’s flying to play a Puma outing in the next few days and then relaxing for awhile.

Dude's made a dozen cuts in two years and needs to take some time off? Guess he's tired of cashing the sponsor checks and wants to "compete" against DJ and the hacks.

Norman and the Saudis think they're building a super tour. What they're getting is a pre-seniors' tour.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rickie has made 31 million in career earnings. If he wants to get a pile o'cash from the Saudis I don't give a damn. He's gonna have to go on a Daly bender to burn through it. I don't think he gets within smelling distance of a major. He might win a spare to fair regular but he's just about done. Might as well cash out.

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Rickie has made 31 million in career earnings. If he wants to get a pile o'cash from the Saudis I don't give a damn. He's gonna have to go on a Daly bender to burn through it. I don't think he gets within smelling distance of a major. He might win a spare to fair regular but he's just about done. Might as well cash out.

Collecting a pile o'cash with a wife like this probably makes sense... 

ccelebritiesfotoNINTCHDBPICT000437179251

Summary of Daily Mail write up on the first LIV event

54 hole events with shotgun starts (LIV is 54 in roman numerals...I never figured it out until reading the link)
Centurian Club in St Albans, private club, which has hosted Euro Tour events in 2017 & 2018 (Golf Sixes)
List of players entered, truly an international field (with some recognizable names, some I have no idea who they are)
Eight events this year, 10 planned for 2023, 14 in 2024 (if it is still a thing - my commentary)

I've paid more attention recently, as James Piot the current US Am champion (and an MSU recent graduate) decided to join the LIV tour. He has no standing on the PGA tour, so he isn't giving that up, but seems like a risky career move to play in this few number of events. 

LIV GOLF INVITATIONAL SERIES Q&A: Why is the divisive Saudi tour controversial with its £180m pot | Daily Mail Online

Screenshot-2022-06-07-093853

12 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Dude's made a dozen cuts in two years and needs to take some time off? Guess he's tired of cashing the sponsor checks and wants to "compete" against DJ and the hacks.

Norman and the Saudis think they're building a super tour. What they're getting is a pre-seniors' tour.

Unless they start picking off top college players.  With the exception of the top 5 or so college players, the path is incredibly difficult to the PGA Tour.  Even for those top 5, the starts are hard to come by.  Take $2-5M to play LIV, get a financial foundation, play with major champions.  Not a bad deal.  And if they go directly to LIV, versus any PGA Tour-sponsored development tour, how can they be disciplined by the PGA Tour.  

The stars will obviously move the needle, but if cash flow is not an issue, the up-and-coming talent will be interesting to watch where they go.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not a lawyer, but the word collusion keeps coming to mind if all the other Tours (PGA, DP/Euro, Asia, South Africa) and the governing bodies (USGA, R&A, PGA of America, Augusta National) all decide to ban these players.  These governing bodies also run the Official World Golf Ranking.  LIV could force change or end the OWGR as we know it if they move in lockstep. 

Narrator:  There will be lawyers.

14 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Unless they start picking off top college players.  With the exception of the top 5 or so college players, the path is incredibly difficult to the PGA Tour.  Even for those top 5, the starts are hard to come by.  Take $2-5M to play LIV, get a financial foundation, play with major champions.  Not a bad deal.  And if they go directly to LIV, versus any PGA Tour-sponsored development tour, how can they be disciplined by the PGA Tour.  

The stars will obviously move the needle, but if cash flow is not an issue, the up-and-coming talent will be interesting to watch where they go.

Yeah except these fields are only supposed to be 48 deep with theoretically all the top players in the world. So if you somehow can get all the top players then you'll be bumping all the up-and-comers off. 

This tour is bad for pro golf. It will kill the developmental tours, all because greedy cock sucking bullshit from a bunch of has beens that can't manage their money.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

this is where they can crush the pga. 

beau hossler is a perfect Example here. Go make guaranteed money and be set for life, or keep grinding to an uncertain future on the page tour 

even the top college players, be broke on the korn ferry tour and grind away, hoping to get my pga card then go grind some more. Or go be set for life 

the two okie at guys have to be watching with big eyes, hovland and wolf 

Edited by tx 3 putt

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the pga better start changing asap (share the wealth), the pro game is changing 

What this all about is that some think  the PGA is sharing the wealth too much. Bylaws demand each member be treated equally. But some of the big names, especially Mickelson, want a bigger piece of the pie.  The tour is an association, owned by the players. It’s not like there are a group of executives getting rich here.  

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

What this all about is that some think  the PGA is sharing the wealth too much. Bylaws demand each member be treated equally. But some of the big names, especially Mickelson, want a bigger piece of the pie.  The tour is an association, owned by the players. It’s not like there are a group of executives getting rich here.  

I think it comes back to not paying for using their images and being contract workers 

25 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Fuck the LIV.  I ain’t watching that shit

Interesting listening to Dan Patrick this am.  Guy they had on discussing it (forget his name) was saying they have offered to give away the broadcast rights to whoever will put them on, but no one is biting.  So it is going on YouTube TV.

• Haha 2

It's pretty funny that the best American they could pull that didn't involve a 9-figure payout is either Kevin Na or Talor Gooch.  

I follow professional golf relatively closely and have never heard of more than half of the field (not including such luminaries as Peter Uihlein, Hudson Swafford, Chase Koepka and Bernd Weisberger).  For your average golf fan, the field consists of DJ, Phil, Louis and a few 40-something Euros. 

Just now, naija said:

it's a question of how much cash the Saudis are willing to burn. if they are persistent, they will succeed. like every other thing regarding money these days

This guy was saying the Saudi's are treating it like a tech startup, knowing it will lose money for awhile and willing to let it burn cash to get traction.  That's why so many fledgling sports leagues fail.  They can't sustain losses for very long.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what sort of repercussions the players that jump get from the PGA and sponsors. A lifetime ban could fuck the younger guys, especially if LIV doesn’t live long. I’m sure there will be a plethora of lawsuits before that becomes clear. If  it’s successful, will the younger unknowns be pushed out by more established players?

Edited by TonyTexas

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting listening to Dan Patrick this am.  Guy they had on discussing it (forget his name) was saying they have offered to give away the broadcast rights to whoever will put them on, but no one is biting.  So it is going on YouTube TV.

I guess the TV networks that have the expertise to cover the tour properly don't want to piss off the PGA, so they are all closing ranks and just trying to starve the LIV out of the gates. If there is no revenue coming in from TV, what's the point of spending billions? The "outrage" that everyone is using to justify this is the fact that its Saudi money bankrolling this. I wonder how the narrative would change if it was money from a different source. I think the PGA would still react in a similar fashion, but I doubt as many people would care. 

In reality, I dont give a fuck. I used to just watch the majors, and then with Spieth and now Scheffler, I watch additional random tournaments, especially when a longhorn is in contention. If this fractures the tour and waters down the tournaments, I'll just go back to my old pattern of watching the majors.  

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Where's Team Dismemberment?

Team Bonesaw woulda brought the lulz. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

I guess the TV networks that have the expertise to cover the tour properly don't want to piss off the PGA, so they are all closing ranks and just trying to starve the LIV out of the gates. If there is no revenue coming in from TV, what's the point of spending billions? The "outrage" that everyone is using to justify this is the fact that its Saudi money bankrolling this. I wonder how the narrative would change if it was money from a different source. I think the PGA would still react in a similar fashion, but I doubt as many people would care. 

In reality, I dont give a fuck. I used to just watch the majors, and then with Spieth and now Scheffler, I watch additional random tournaments, especially when a longhorn is in contention. If this fractures the tour and waters down the tournaments, I'll just go back to my old pattern of watching the majors.  

Team Bonesaw woulda brought the lulz. 

I think you have to look at it on a global level. It's not money laundering, but it helps to think of it as trying to diversify their portfolio in a huge way. We've seen this with soccer (anyone care to guess which NFL team will be owned by a Saudi/UAE/etc backed group in the next 20 years?). People will bitch and complain about money from that part of the world, but they have proven that they are willing to pay exorbitantly and in the end, that does buy a measure of success.  They are doing this across multiple platforms/industries.

I would say going to streaming services if the traditional ones lock you out is smart. Can renegotiate later