2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Next year will be a different story. It will be hard to auto qualify to the majors with no OWGR points, tour wins, money list etc. 

as much as I'm not a fan of the LIV, fuck that noise - the give points for the Tiger & Friends event (aka Hero Challenge), so they need to use that shitty formula, that over values Euro/DP tour events, and give points where they are due.

They better not get to earn OWGR points playing Texas Shambles and Wolf for three days.

I wonder if there if there a line where people might actually care where the money comes from?

Say Germany wins WW2, the world now see the Nazis for who they really are and Hitler starts a Nazi golf league in 1945.

He starts sportswashing by throwing out huge sums of Reichsmarks, would everyone be cool with Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson and Sam Snead leaving the tour to go play for Hitler?

I mean they are independent contractor man! They aren’t politicians!

14 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Say Germany wins WW2, the world now see the Nazis for who they really are and Hitler starts a Nazi golf league in 1945.

He starts sportswashing by throwing out huge sums of Reichsmarks, would everyone be cool with Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson and Sam Snead leaving the tour to go play for Hitler?

Puff, puff, pass, man.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posed with a question about participating in “sportswashing” – using sports to present a sanitized version of a political regime or operation – Talor Gooch had this to say:

“I don’t think that’s fair,” he said, via ESPN. “Also … I’m a golfer. I’m not that smart. I try to hit a golf ball into a small hole. Golf is hard enough. I try to worry about golf, and I’m excited bout this week.”

8 minutes ago, naija said:

Germany already kinda did their washing already. You have billionaires there who are literally a parent or grandparent removed from being intimately involved with, and direct profiteers of, the Nazis.  

they all have cousins in Argentina 

This just feels like the USFL with better funding. Nobody in that field is a threat to win a major in the next three years other than DJ, but he hasnt been sharp since winning the Masters. 

You get 5 guys from top 30 in world rankings to walk then maybe you have something. 

Either way it kinda sucks because I want to see the best and deepest fields and this will water things down some. 

I'm surprised that Fox didn't jump at the chance to broadcast this. I can only remember one event where they broadcasted a PGA event. I remember it being cringey and sucking. This type of disruption thing seems right up their alley. 

But yea, why the fuck do I want to watch DJ, fuckhead Phil and a bunch of old Euros play in tourneys which have nothing to do with nothing? I like golf but I'm not desperate for golf.

Younger guys want to still be like Tiger and win Majors. Aint nobody winning no Majors on motherfucking LIV. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

this is where they can crush the pga. 

beau hossler is a perfect Example here. Go make guaranteed money and be set for life, or keep grinding to an uncertain future on the page tour 
even the top college players, be broke on the korn ferry tour and grind away, hoping to get my pga card then go grind some more. Or go be set for life 
the two okie at guys have to be watching with big eyes, hovland and wolf 

I hope Wolf leaves and takes that stupid dance swing with him.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I'm surprised that Fox didn't jump at the chance to broadcast this. I can only remember one event where they broadcasted a PGA event. I remember it being cringey and sucking. This type of disruption thing seems right up their alley. 

Fox had the US Open for awhile...

How long until Phil gambles away the 200 mill from the Saudis? 10 years?

Also is this payment as well as DJs payment a lump sum or a spread out over x number of years to ensure they comply?

We'll have to see either one of those guys end up on the wrong side of a bone saw for failing to fulfill their contractual obligations.

I'm cracking up listening to these guys justify their participation:

"I really feel like golf is a force of good in the world -- I just try to be a great role model to kids," he said. "We are not politicians. I know you guys hate that expression, but we are really not, unfortunately. We are professional golfers.

"I wish I had the ability to be able to have that conversation with you," McDowell said. "As golfers, if we tried to cure geopolitical situations in every country in the world that we play golf in, we wouldn't play a lot of golf. It's a really hard question to answer.

"We're just here to focus on the golf and kind of what it does globally for the role models that these guys are."

Professional golf being a force of good in the world, lulz. It is a really hard question to answer though, so you gotta love DJs response

McDowell did most of the talking on Saudi rights issues, with two-time major winner Dustin Johnson responding earlier: "I would pretty much say the exact same thing. I'd agree with what Graeme said."

Just come out and say it. "I'm in it for the money, baby. Talkin' 'bout clickity-clickity-clack!" (Pantomimes Tron shooting dice)

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

How long until Phil gambles away the 200 mill from the Saudis? 10 years?

Also is this payment as well as DJs payment a lump sum or a spread out over x number of years to ensure they comply?

We'll have to see either one of those guys end up on the wrong side of a bone saw for failing to fulfill their contractual obligations.

I am thinking it is similar to Steve Young's USFL contract; which was something like $40 million paid over 40 years
Or maybe as we get close to July 1, and celebrate Bobby Bonilla Day...well you know the story

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Looking at the list of players, I'm guessing the Saudis asked us who we didn't care for? I don't remember being asked, but if I had to list 48 players, that's the list. 

With Reed and Bryson, I think that now means the LIV tour has 5 of the top 40 OWGR. I'm also guessing you see will also see a few more players trickle in. One thing I haven't heard is how they determine each event's 48 players. With a cap of 48 players, each new guy in bumps one guy out. Has anyone heard the mechanism for determining which players can compete each week?

Ok ignore the Saudi thing- I get that completely- and let’s just talk entertainment… why would this tour succeeding and getting all the top players be bad for me as a golf fan?  The PGA tour has a ton of events I’m not interested in unless the leaderboard is compelling. If you had the vast majority of the top 50 players together 1: times a year, plus the majors, doesn’t that get the schedule closer to what most golf fans and viewers probably want?

don’t get me wrong, the idea of a tour with DJ, Reed and BDC flopping and those guys getting burned is hysterical. I view Mickeltits as a ceremonial golfer more or less. That PGA win after 50 was the coda to his major playing career. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok ignore the Saudi thing- I get that completely- and let’s just talk entertainment… why would this tour succeeding and getting all the top players be bad for me as a golf fan?  The PGA tour has a ton of events I’m not interested in unless the leaderboard is compelling. If you had the vast majority of the top 50 players together 1: times a year, plus the majors, doesn’t that get the schedule closer to what most golf fans and viewers probably want?

don’t get me wrong, the idea of a tour with DJ, Reed and BDC flopping and those guys getting burned is hysterical. I view Mickeltits as a ceremonial golfer more or less. That PGA win after 50 was the coda to his major playing career. 

Golf in general is boring to casual fans unless its Sunday. I love golf but even i can go weeks without really watching a pro event. Ill usually check on Sunday to see the situation, but definitely not interested every time.

I dont see how LIV does anything to change that, or make it better.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I heard a story where Phil would bet on putts with McCord in the tower during a match.  Of course it wasn't huge money, but I can't believe someone with that kind of gambling problem didn't bet on golf with bookies/sports books?  This is from a google genius article i found.

Gambuzza cites the PGA Tour’s integrity policy, established in 2017, which aims to protect players on its six worldwide tours from the potential influence of sports betting. It restricts a player or caddie from gambling on any professional golf tournament. And it has hired a company called GeniusSports, which helps monitor betting activity across competitions. If it saw any abnormalities in the golf market, it would notify the tour. GeniusSports hasn’t noticed anything yet, according to a tour spokesman.

I haven’t read the Shipnuck book on Phil but if anyone has read it, let me know if this story is in there or not. Been waiting awhile on this one and figure what the hell it’s pretty much all out there in the public at this point.

So I was with Phil on the golf course for a long time and he was pretty great in person. He was telling us all kinds of funny stories. This was maybe 10-12 years ago.

The topic of college athletics came up and whether current players should get paid a stipend or for their likeness etc . . . So Phil chimes in that when he was in school, they just cleared out part of their apartment, brought in blackjack tables, and they were the house and staked blackjack games. I thought that was hilarious. Given the current situation, it’s an interesting addition to the timeline.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah, I gotta say when Horschel was handily leading the Memorial last weekend, I pretty much tuned out.