2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok ignore the Saudi thing- I get that completely- and let’s just talk entertainment… why would this tour succeeding and getting all the top players be bad for me as a golf fan?  The PGA tour has a ton of events I’m not interested in unless the leaderboard is compelling. If you had the vast majority of the top 50 players together 1: times a year, plus the majors, doesn’t that get the schedule closer to what most golf fans and viewers probably want?

don’t get me wrong, the idea of a tour with DJ, Reed and BDC flopping and those guys getting burned is hysterical. I view Mickeltits as a ceremonial golfer more or less. That PGA win after 50 was the coda to his major playing career. 

What you described in the section I bolded is the WGC events; have you seen the list of entrants for the first LIV event? It is maybe 15 "names" and only a few of those are top ranked players. 
When I get some time, maybe tonite - I'll cross reference the LIV event with the OWGR and see if it is different than the RBC. What the LIV is selling is the glitz and glamour of large purses and oversized winners shares (plus the PR of paying huge "bribes" to players to join their tour).

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok ignore the Saudi thing- I get that completely- and...

Pretty much stops right there for me and the characters associated with this tourney hasn't hurt my decision one bit.

I also enjoy the mostly weekly PGA Tour. Most Sundays of the year I'll tune in and see what we have going on and I love that consistency as a fan. I know it probably sucks if you're trying to stay on the tour and want a life outside of golf, but I love it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty much stops right there for me and the characters associated with this tourney hasn't hurt my decision one bit.

I also enjoy the mostly weekly PGA Tour. Most Sundays of the year I'll tune in and see what we have going on and I love that consistency as a fan. I know it probably sucks if you're trying to stay on the tour and want a life outside of golf, but I love it.

You seriously want to see bastardized versions of the tour every week? Shotgun starts, bogus teams every week, will they play Texas Shambles or Wolf?

I can see this shit every weekend at my club. Much less swing a lineup of the biggest cunts in pro golf…
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

You seriously want to see bastardized versions of the tour every week? Shotgun starts, bogus teams every week, will they play Texas Shambles or Wolf?

Oh hell no, sorry I meant that I enjoy the current set-up with real tournaments most weekends. I don't want a Super League with 10 big events over the system we have now. I feel like it would completely suck as a fan.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

What you described in the section I bolded is the WGC events; have you seen the list of entrants for the first LIV event? It is maybe 15 "names" and only a few of those are top ranked players. 
When I get some time, maybe tonite - I'll cross reference the LIV event with the OWGR and see if it is different than the RBC. What the LIV is selling is the glitz and glamour of large purses and oversized winners shares (plus the PR of paying huge "bribes" to players to join their tour).

Yeah/ I like the WGC. It’s more likely to have a compelling leaderboard. I know the LIV isn’t that yet but I’m imagining a different world where it will succeed. And it will, imo, if they keep the money up for a couple years and prove they won’t fold. 
I’d welcome a 10 or 12 tournament schedule where it’s just guys like Spieth, McIlroy, Scotty, etc once a month. That doesn’t have to kill the tour. 
something like 10 of these events, 4 majors and 8 or 10 tour events seems like a fine schedule for the top 50 types. 
If there becomes critical mass in a couple years I absolutely believe the tour will allow that to keep the big players playing there on tour somewhere.
mask them to rotate the 8 or 10 events around and nobody comes off the worse imo.  

Golf Monthly article on LIV application for OWGR points

Andrew Wright
BY ANDREW WRIGHT
PUBLISHED 26 DAYS AGO

LIV Golf Investments, the start-up company behind the Saudi-backed attempt to form a breakaway global league, is in the process of applying for their eight-event invitational series to be officially recognised by the OWGR (Official World Golf Rankings), in order for rebel players to secure ranking points, as well as a shed load of cash, for their efforts. 

The series gets underway from June 9-11 at the Centurion Club near St Albans, leaving Greg Norman - CEO of LGI - and co. in a race against time to successfully navigate the arduous process. 

Atul Kholsa, Chief Operating Officer of LGI, said: “We've had quite a few conversations already with the OWGR team. We actually had a good session with them yesterday to walk through what our current field looks like, what our player pathway looks like, and how we want to structure our events. 

“We're in partnership with the Asian Tour, so we are in the process right now of the application to put our application in. We've got a couple of draft versions that we've gone back and forth with them to make sure that we check all the boxes and all the criteria. With the field that we are expecting, we expect to get OWGR points and are going through the process right now. 

“I don't know that we will get it for the first event because of the nature of how long it takes for the application to go through and the process one needs to undertake. But we are hopeful that we can get them for this year onwards.” 

During the press conference, Norman revealed that 36 of the world’s top 150 have signed up for the first event next month, despite the PGA Tour and reportedly the DP World Tour blocking player release requests

And when asked if he thought more big names would have jumped ship if ranking points were available, Kholsa added: “Sure, and we've had those conversations with the players as well. Kind of walked them through our application where we are and the process we're undertaking. But we've had that dialogue with the players.

“But the [OWGR] board does consist of the same individuals that have threatened players, correct? It's interesting, isn't it, how everything is controlled by the same individuals if you want to play golf in this world? We'll see how it goes.”

While ranking points aren't yet on offer, the series has been boosted by an additional $2 billion investment so Norman can turn the eight-event invitational series into a fully fledged 14-tournament super league by 2024.

So how many OWGR points are you getting for winning against this murderers row? 

GOLFER OWGR

Dustin Johnson 

Louis Oosthuizen 

Bryson DeChambeau 28

Kevin Na 

Talor Gooch 

Sergio Garcia 

Pablo Larrazabal 

Richard Bland 

Matt Jones 

Shaun Norris 

Phil Mickelson 72

Sam Horsfield 

Lee Westwood 

Ryo Kinoshita 

Ian Poulter 

Bernd Wiesberger 

Hudson Swafford 

Oliver Bekker 

Jinichiro Kozuma 

Scott Vincent 

Justin Harding 

Laurie Canter 

Branden Grace 

Charl Schwartzel 

Sadom Kaewkanjana 

Hennie Du Plessis 

Phachara Khongwatmai 

Sihwan Kim 

J.C. Ritchie 

Adrian Otaegui 

Hideto Tanihara 

Martin Kaymer 

Jediah Morgan 

Blake Windred 

TK Chantananuwat 

Wade Ormsby 

Peter Uihlein 

Graeme McDowell 

Turk Petit 

Oliver Fisher 

Andy Ogletree 

Chase Koepka 

David Puig 

James Piot 

• Hook 'Em 1

This is getting crazy. If they figure out how to award OWGR points and the majors still let them play (they all probably will, because money is a thing) then the PGA is going to have a real shitstorm on its hands. Bryson won't be the last under 30 star to join. 

• Fuck You 1

Can't blame any of the guys that join LIV. $100 million guaranteed to join 8 events? You fucking kidding me? 

So they maybe play 12 events a year?? I get the money part, but aren’t they going to miss the competition weekly? I guess competing for boats and hoes 40 weeks a year will suffice.

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

So they maybe play 12 events a year?? I get the money part, but aren’t they going to miss the competition weekly? I guess competing for boats and hoes 40 weeks a year will suffice.

Are they going to be banned from the Euro and Asian tours? 

Also - maybe LIV has a plan to go from 8 to say 15 or so events in a few years. 

Also also - some of these guys may not even enjoy playing all the Tour events they need to keep their card. 

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Can't blame any of the guys that join LIV. $100 million guaranteed to join 8 events? You fucking kidding me? 

I think it's funny how people fully support the athletes "getting the bag" in every sport but this one. I don't get the vitriol. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Probably because of where it’s coming from and all of them refusing to admit it’s all about money. I’d respect them if they were at least honest about it. They’ve also managed to sign a lot of players people already didn’t like. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anyway, in my opinion, now is the time for the DP World Tour to do something. Allow the LIV players to gain OWGR points on their tour while the PGA tour is busy banning people. The Euro Tour has sucked shit through a straw for years and this could be their best chance to get better players to play there. 

Matt Wolff needs to cash that offer from the Saudis ASAP.
2022 results: 12 events, 7 missed cuts, T-64, T61, T60, T25, T6

Like I said earlier, he can take that stupid dance swing he’s got anywhere other than the PGA Tour. I’ll be glad not to see it anymore.

I tried to find the LIV leaderboard, but couldn't find a link (just curious to see if the big names are scoring or sucking).

I did find the DP World Tour Leaderboard (fka The European Tour) and their event this weeks absolutely sucks from a ranking standpoint. The highest ranked player is 60 in OWGR and half the field isn't even ranked). I know it is the week before a major, and I don't follow that tour as much as I used to, but I hardly recognize any names - really a group in the mid 200's (Stenson, Jazz, & Edoardo Molinari). 

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I tried to find the LIV leaderboard, but couldn't find a link (just curious to see if the big names are scoring or sucking).

I did find the DP World Tour Leaderboard (fka The European Tour) and their event this weeks absolutely sucks from a ranking standpoint. The highest ranked player is 60 in OWGR and half the field isn't even ranked). I know it is the week before a major, and I don't follow that tour as much as I used to, but I hardly recognize any names - really a group in the mid 200's (Stenson, Jazz, & Edoardo Molinari). 

It's one of those weird events where you either like watching or not. Being a "mixed" event is the supposed interest.

It's golf, so whatever.

Now that party shit, music blasting on at least one hole they have going on would drive me fucking batty. I'd skip shit like that too.

In all honesty, I'd rather watch a field like the Euro this week. Why? It makes me feel a whole lot better about playing. Some bastard blows it way off to another hole, across its fairway into a bunker or some shit... hey, I can do that, I should go pro. 😂

I watched a few minutes of the stream and while there are some kinks to work out, the production value seems adequate, but less than 100K watching. You need all the cameras, crews, etc... so the production costs have to be substantial. Plus they are paying out the ass to get players to show up. How exactly does this approach make money? I'm sure a major network (my guess Fox) will eventually start broadcasting events, but this business model seems like it will hemorrhage cash for the foreseeable future.

I completely understand what's in it for the players, but how much money the Saudis are prepared to lose? I know they have effectively infinite money for awhile longer, but what are they really gaining in all of this. Does it ever have to turn a profit?  The only publicity that Saudi gets out of this is seems to be negative (focus on Khashoggi, women's rights, etc..) What makes this a successful venture for SA? That's unclear to me. 

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I watched a few minutes of the stream and while there are some kinks to work out, the production value seems adequate, but less than 100K watching. You need all the cameras, crews, etc... so the production costs have to be substantial. Plus they are paying out the ass to get players to show up. How exactly does this approach make money? I'm sure a major network (my guess Fox) will eventually start broadcasting events, but this business model seems like it will hemorrhage cash for the foreseeable future.

I completely understand what's in it for the players, but how much money the Saudis are prepared to lose? I know they have effectively infinite money for awhile longer, but what are they really gaining in all of this. Does it ever have to turn a profit?  The only publicity that Saudi gets out of this is seems to be negative (focus on Khashoggi, women's rights, etc..) What makes this a successful venture for SA? That's unclear to me. 

Seems like they have unlimited money for these events, I say that I'll watch it if they pay me $1,000 per week. Seems reasonable to me; hell I'd even post on social media how great the LIV events are. I would charge more but I think I have maybe 100 followers, so my social media presence isn't really worth much.

Some opinions seems to be they’ll keep throwing money at it and eventually people will stop talking about the atrocities they commit and forget about them, and they’ll be known as a sports financing county not a terrorist financing country. Trying to buy their way to a better reputation basically. I doubt they care if they make money if it changes their perception around the world.