2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

3 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I agree - I’m sure this is part of their plan. Give a few million in guaranteed money and they’ll get someone to bite.

The issue is that the quality of play on the PGA Tour is based on everyone having to earn their card. Go check out the NCAA individual golf champions for the past 10 years. Sure, there are names like DeChambeau, Matt Wolff, and Max Homa. But alongside them are Braden Thornberry, Broc Everett, and Cameron Wilson. The “Invitational” aspect of LIV means that the quality of play is going to nosedive unless they do what they intended to do all along - poach established players from the existing tours.

It’s easier to improve when you have less worries about money 

I don’t know if the pga arguments are going to hold up in court or with sponsors 

And why not? The PGA grants players membership and tour cards which come with rules. The PGA is under no obligation to keep you in membership if you are playing for an organization that seeks your demise. Additionally the position of the PGA to protect its reputation and its sponsors from players who take so much money from Saudi douchebags who our military has protected with blood while they seek fuck us at the pump and support terrorists will be strongly played out in court. Fuck these guys.
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

And why not? The PGA grants players membership and tour cards which come with rules. The PGA is under no obligation to keep you in membership if you are playing for an organization that seeks your demise. Additionally the position of the PGA to protect its reputation and its sponsors from players who take so much money from Saudi douchebags who our military has protected with blood while they seek fuck us at the pump and support terrorists will be strongly played out in court. Fuck these guys.

here's more discussion of the legal aspect

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-sgl-ban

19 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Lmao they actually handed out this out to the players to answer the reporters questions. Why would they have a paragraph entitled “money grab”? Shouldn’t there be one on “Growing the game?”

c3e9274dea46061e5a5199eeeed3e18d.jpg

Where is this from? You picture is low res enough it’s hard to read.

17 hours ago, Blotto said:

If ESPN has the scorecard from the LIV tournament, they dont make it easy to find. I guess its likely there is no data feed they can hook into, just thought it was interesting that the leading sports internet site isnt posting scores. 

I couldn't find it on any of my regular sports sites, but this morning I did find the LIV golf site with a leaderboard (it's kind of a shitty site) and I don't care at all what team someone is on, or how those teams are doing. It isn't a team thing, so stop already trying to make up some bullshit team event as part of your cartoon event.

Leaderboard (livgolf.com)

The only player I have any interest is is the kid just out of Michigan State - James Piot

Edited by Wally Fairway

14 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I couldn't find it on any of my regular sports sites, but this morning I did find the LIV golf site with a leaderboard (it's kind of a shitty site) and I don't care at all what team someone is on, or how those teams are doing. It isn't a team thing, so stop already trying to make up some bullshit team event as part of your cartoon event.

Leaderboard (livgolf.com)

image.png.10a704461a3d1eb6abe159023d1bc0f3.png

That is a sexy leaderboard. Look at all of those big hitters. But I will say this...if someone like Phachara Khongwatmai (whoever the fuck that is) bags $4M in prize money this week for three days of work, that would put him at 14th on the current PGA money leaders list, ahead of some pretty good players that have played in ~15 events. The PGA is going to have to figure out how to juice the payouts, or more guys will leave. Its a tough spot for the PGA, because a couple of billion for the Saudis is nothing, and at the end of the day, money talks. With a recession looming in the USA, its not like the PGA can goose their sponsors for a ton more money. Meanwhile, price of oil is going nuts and money pouring into SA. 

image.png.cfbc1d3270d61a537cddae98480cb13f.png

What's not clear to me is how the LIV accommodates new players in the pool. It seems to be capped at 48, and with the team structure etc.... its not quite as flexible. So every new guy in means someone gets the boot. If its a lower ranked PGA player that gets the boot, and then he cant play on the PGA, that player is fucked. I guess they can just continue to add groups of 4, or tell every player if you play in one LIV event you're guaranteed "X" amount of money to take the risk.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Blotto said:

That is a sexy leaderboard. Look at all of those big hitters. But I will say this...if someone like Phachara Khongwatmai (whoever the fuck that is) bags $4M in prize money this week for three days of work, that would put him at 14th on the current PGA money leaders list, ahead of some pretty good players that have played in ~15 events. The PGA is going to have to figure out how to juice the payouts, or more guys will leave. Its a tough spot for the PGA, because a couple of billion for the Saudis is nothing, and at the end of the day, money talks. With a recession looming in the USA, its not like the PGA can goose their sponsors for a ton more money. Meanwhile, price of oil is going nuts and money pouring into SA. 

What's not clear to me is how the LIV accommodates new players in the pool. It seems to be capped at 48, and with the team structure etc.... its not quite as flexible. So every new guy in means someone gets the boot. If its a lower ranked PGA player that gets the boot, and then he cant play on the PGA, that player is fucked. I guess they can just continue to add groups of 4, or tell every player if you play in one LIV event you're guaranteed "X" amount of money to take the risk.

Ogletree with his +12 82 yesterday will be out on his ass.

7 hours ago, Blotto said:

Leaderboard may not be great, but honestly, is the RBC really any better? 

Clark

Fitzpatrick

McIlroy — Legit 

Smally 

Mitchell

24 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Clark

Fitzpatrick

McIlroy — Legit 

Smally 

Mitchell

Is that a serious question? There's a lot of top ranked PGA regulars (Rahm, Spieth, Morikawa, Cantlay, etc...) skipping the RBC with the US Open a week away. But even so, within 4 strokes of the leader you have OWGR 17, 8, 1, 11, 25, 18.  Compare that to the LIV, where the leader is #126 in OWGR and the  only 3 guys within 6 shots of the lead are  ranked 126, 327, and 96. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I would say DJ should be embarrassed if he doesn’t win but what is his motivation for winning? A few more million on top of the hundreds he just got? This isn’t a golf tournament, it’s a money dump to a bunch of guys doing PR for a murderous regime. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Is that a serious question? There's a lot of top ranked PGA regulars (Rahm, Spieth, Morikawa, Cantlay, etc...) skipping the RBC with the US Open a week away. But even so, within 4 strokes of the leader you have OWGR 17, 8, 1, 11, 25, 18.  Compare that to the LIV, where the leader is #126 in OWGR and the  only 3 guys within 6 shots of the lead are  ranked 126, 327, and 96. 

yeah - for being the week before a major it is a pretty good field

2 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Clark

Fitzpatrick

McIlroy — Legit 

Smally 

Mitchell

C'mon Scottie and Ghim only 4 shots back. 🤘

Also S. Burns, Finau, Lowry, Hoffman and HV3 in the hunt too.

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Scheffler, Finau, Lowry, and JT lurking? Yes, the RBC is a better leaderboard by a lot.

You missed the layup. When I posted that, that was the fucking leaderboard at that very moment. Lurking don’t mean shit, it’s academic so far as the top spots, which was the point of my post.

I was not comparing the fucking fields, Jesus Christ.

10 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Reading comprehension sport. No one said shit about the field.

What the fuck are you talking about. The leaderboard is a list of every player in the tournament and their score. It isn't just who is in the top 5 at any given moment. There are 16 players within 4 shots of the lead going into Saturday. Any of those guys could easily win. Someone 5 or 6 or 7 shots back could win. 

Even if it was a bunch of nobodies Rory being 1 shot back is more compelling than whatever the LIV has going on. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

C'mon Scottie and Ghim only 4 shots back. 🤘

Also S. Burns, Finau, Lowry, Hoffman and HV3 in the hunt too.

Varner is heavily rumored to be going to LIV. Would be strange if he finally gets a PGA win then walks. 

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Even if it was a bunch of nobodies Rory being 1 shot back is more compelling than whatever the LIV has going on. 

A year ago, there were four golfers that truly moved the needle - Tiger, Phil, Rory, Spieth.

After that, it's a long fall down to whoever you want to argue is 5th.

Tiger is... I won't say done because at this point that feels really foolish but certainly not the same. Phil bone sawed himself. So that leaves two golfers that are compelling to the average fan, that grow the game, increase viewership, etc ...

Maybe Scottie is next? I don't know, but he's not there yet. But the PGA is in a tenuous as fuck position - they are about to get into a money war and have two horses in the stable. 

I hope the Saudi dickheads for human beings blew their load and won't put more in for a Rory or a Spieth. But if they do, and both are now fathers who I'm sure are not enjoying the time away from the kids that the tour forces you to do, the PGA is fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

A year ago, there were four golfers that truly moved the needle - Tiger, Phil, Rory, Spieth.

After that, it's a long fall down to whoever you want to argue is 5th.

Tiger is... I won't say done because at this point that feels really foolish but certainly not the same. Phil bone sawed himself. So that leaves two golfers that are compelling to the average fan, that grow the game, increase viewership, etc ...

Maybe Scottie is next? I don't know, but he's not there yet. But the PGA is in a tenuous as fuck position - they are about to get into a money war and have two horses in the stable. 

I hope the Saudi dickheads for human beings blew their load and won't put more in for a Rory or a Spieth. But if they do, and both are now fathers who I'm sure are not enjoying the time away from the kids that the tour forces you to do, the PGA is fucked.

As dislikeable as he is Bryson is definitely a guy that gets people to tune in. He's a walking media circus. And now he's doing the Saudi experiment. DJ is another guy that moves the needle as much as anyone past that top 4. I obviously understand the love for Scottie here but I'm not sure how much of a personality he is where people are going to hang on his every shot (unless he starts really winning a bunch of majors). Same with guys like Koepka, JT, Morikawa... as a big golf fan I love watching all of these dudes but if we're talking about attracting casual viewers then you really need something new or different. 

Agreed that this is a tenuous position for the PGA. But it has nothing to do with where the Tour has been in recent years. They've been doing just fine. Hardly on "life support" or at risk of going under. 

I am not saying the quality of play has declined. It is at all-time high. But there is no one on tour that is compelling to the average fan.

My mom knew who tiger was, who Jack was. Now, I couldn’t even pick these guys out of a lineup. You have to have stars and stories. Golf simply doesn’t have “it” right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Bryson is definitely a guy that gets people to tune

If he isn't in the lead or close to it, he doesn't move the needle. He can go rot for all the PGA cares. Tiger is singular. 

I can argue Daly is a bigger draw for sheer meltdown value. Bryson chose a side. Reed did too. Neither of them have true fans. More like antifans. Hoping they are close enough to get shamed at the end. Take the money fuckers. Ain't ever gonna see you again.

14 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I am not saying the quality of play has declined. It is at all-time high. But there is no one on tour that is compelling to the average fan.

My mom knew who tiger was, who Jack was. Now, I couldn’t even pick these guys out of a lineup. You have to have stars and stories. Golf simply doesn’t have “it” right now.

I'm following you. I feel like I addressed this sentiment in my post.

7 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

If he isn't in the lead or close to it, he doesn't move the needle. He can go rot for all the PGA cares. Tiger is singular. 

I can argue Daly is a bigger draw for sheer meltdown value. Bryson chose a side. Reed did too. Neither of them have true fans. More like antifans. Hoping they are close enough to get shamed at the end. Take the money fuckers. Ain't ever gonna see you again.

No one but Tiger moves the needle if they aren't close to the lead. Not sure what your point is there. I also promise you Bryson has more fans than Patrick Reed. There is no way Reed gets what Bryson did to join. Bryson is huuuuge on social media and YouTube. He has legions of under-30 douchebags wanting to be him.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

There are no Patrick Reed fans. Maybe his wife, but when the cash runs out so will she.

30 something douchebags don't run the PGA. They will have to go looking for him. 

Alright but you lumped them in together. Bryson is a much bigger brand than Reed. I understand who Surly does and doesn't like but we're talking about objective dollar figures and ratings at the end of the day. Scottie seems like an awesome guy and he's playing some badass golf but does the casual fan care about Scottie Scheffler? Probably not. Spieth on the other hand is far more entertaining because not only is he one shy of the career slam he's a self-talking spaz at times that sucks in coverage. 

Watching the story on ESPN and almost every LIV member is spouting the "we don't condone humane rights violations" but what is coming out the side of their mouths is "if the money is right I will accept human right violations, treating women as slaves and anything else".  Greed is a terrible thing.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Bryson chose a side. Reed did too. Neither of them have true fans. More like antifans. Hoping they are close enough to get shamed at the end. Take the money fuckers. Ain't ever gonna see you again.

Pairing Reed and Bryson with no time clock would be hilarious... Reed might punch him.

Wonder if LIV will allow Reed to cheat more often... 😋 

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pairing Reed and Bryson with no time clock would be hilarious... Reed might punch him.

Wonder if LIV will allow Reed to cheat more often... 😋 

They should chop off a hand the first time he cheats.  Ratings would be through the roof.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:46 PM, Hate said:

So they maybe play 12 events a year?? I get the money part, but aren’t they going to miss the competition weekly? I guess competing for boats and hoes 40 weeks a year will suffice.

Lol, the Tour is a fucking grind. Golf as a job is a fucking beating, not as glamorous as it appears.

Edited by Revolution512

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I had no idea who this broad was 5 minutes ago, but who is she to be telling me that I shouldn't be pleasuring myself to her instagram videos. It's my body, its my decision, dammit! Although I'll probably have to watch on mute, because that voice is like a drillbit to the temple. 

I checked out the final round for a bit this morning, but it was pretty dull. They kept mentioning how much fun and how crazy it was every 5 minutes or so. When you have to continually keep making that point because its not self-evident, its not a good sign. Smaller PGA tournaments can also be a bit boring when there is no star power, so that's not a surprise. Maybe if you are a huge Charl Schwartzel fan, you'd feel differently, so there's at least 25 people that are digging this. I bailed after about 10 minutes.