2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

The tour changing the format for this thing continues to be a head-scratcher for me. Assuming Scottie wins - 3/4 winners will be the guy that started in first place. On top of that it isn't really a legitimate Tour win but it gets counted that way. 

Their rationale was they want the player that lifts the trophy at East Lake to also be the FedEx cup winner. Which I kind of get - but it isn't that difficult to do 2 trophy presentations. If you count it as a win whether the winning player is the FedEx #1 or not then everyone has something to play for regardless (besides money). 

Also part of their rationale was wanting to make it easier to follow who was where in the FedEx standings - which was never particularly difficult to follow. Maybe it was for the players?

I know there isn't a great answer for it. Maybe Scottie cools off a bit and we get a decent Sunday. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The tour changing the format for this thing continues to be a head-scratcher for me. Assuming Scottie wins - 3/4 winners will be the guy that started in first place. On top of that it isn't really a legitimate Tour win but it gets counted that way. 

Their rationale was they want the player that lifts the trophy at East Lake to also be the FedEx cup winner. Which I kind of get - but it isn't that difficult to do 2 trophy presentations. If you count it as a win whether the winning player is the FedEx #1 or not then everyone has something to play for regardless (besides money). 

Also part of their rationale was wanting to make it easier to follow who was where in the FedEx standings - which was never particularly difficult to follow. Maybe it was for the players?

I know there isn't a great answer for it. Maybe Scottie cools off a bit and we get a decent Sunday. 

this change has made the entire tournament pretty boring, 2 stroke lead before the start, 5 shot lead after day 1, 7 ahead right now ...... yawn!
might as well just play 54 holes and give out bonus money to all; oh wait someone else is doing that.

I feel like the plus of doing it this way is you kind of have things in your own hands. If you want o go out and shoot 256 you can win, even if you started in last place. Couldn’t say that about the other set up. 
but, all the things @ztejassaid are true and I don’t disagree. Just giving another possible reason. 

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

They need to just ditch the playoffs. Have a season long points race and just pay out top 20 or 30 spots.

Also, the majors are way too close together. They need to move the PGA back to August or later. I understand they don't wanna compete with football, but fuck football.

If I recall, they moved the PGA so there would be 1 major a month on the calendar starting in April with the Masters.  Well, if you ask the PGA Tour, the majors start in March with the Players Championship, but I personally have never bought that line of bs.  The US Open has their thing with Father's Day so they unofficially have June locked up.  Leaving the British Open in July gives them the spotlight as the final golf major of the year.  Plus when the PGA was in August there were a lot of courses in the south that the PGA wanted to visit but were reluctant to because of the hot weather.  Then you have the Ryder Cup, Presidents Cup, and FedEx stuff to consider, so playing the PGA any later in the year is not really feasible.

• Like 1

I can see Thomas, Rory, or Im winning this thing.

This handicapping/scoring system is genius. Someone can really unseat the guy that was spotted the most strokes because it rewards or punishes aggressive play while mentally wearing on guys just playing not to lose.

Don’t forget Thomas came back from 7 down to win the PGA, granted it took a Periera meltdown and a playoff but I think it’s gonna get interesting especially if X and Scottie don’t make a move when play resumes.

Im pulling for Scottie but I think the chubby Korean wins.

Raw scores through 3 rounds for anyone interested (Top 9):

T-1 McIlroy -13 [67, 67, 63]

T-1 Scheffler -13 [65, 66, 66]

T-3 Thomas -12 [67, 68, 63]

T-3 Im -12 [67, 65, 66]

T-3 Hoge -12 [66, 66, 66]

T-3 Wise -12 [65, 67, 66]

T-7 Matsuyama -11 [70, 66, 63]

T-7 Homa -11 [71, 62, 66]

T-7 Schauffele -11 [66, 63, 70]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Obvious discussion point, but does the leaderboard to start rd4 look like it did if play had not been suspended last night?

I don’t think Scottie is 6 up. Up, but not by 6. Rory was on fire, Xan too. I think it would have been closer. Overnight, regroup, now 6 shot lead.

Not that it changes anything now of course. Either way there is some amazing golf to watch at least. 

2 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Obvious discussion point, but does the leaderboard to start rd4 look like it did if play had not been suspended last night?

No chance. Which kind of sucks. But Scottie deserves credit for sleeping on it and coming out dialed in today. 

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

So does Connors actually play alone or does he have a marker, maybe the club champ or head pro playing with him?

He plays alone. They've sent somebody out alone every day so far since Willy Z pulled out. The guy on Friday played it in like 3 hours or something.