2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

Rory already back up to 5th in the OWGR somehow. He was 16th in August. I mean he won the CJ and has had a few top 5s - I guess some guys ahead of him have fallen off a bit?

He's ahead of DJ which seems crazy. Current top 10:

1 ESP Jon Rahm 9.1372 411.17 45
2 USA Collin Morikawa 8.1238 406.19 50
3 USA Patrick Cantlay 7.5341 301.36 40
4 NOR Viktor Hovland 6.9580 361.82 52
5 NIR Rory McIlroy 6.2045 266.79 43
6 USA Dustin Johnson 6.1991 247.96 40
7 USA Xander Schauffele 5.9758 280.86 47
8 USA Justin Thomas 5.8788 282.18 48
9 USA Scottie Scheffler 5.8635 304.90 52
10 JPN Hideki Matsuyama 5.4938 280.19 51
Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I haven’t been following it much at all but saw that Phil made some remarks about the PGA tour while he was playing over in Saudi and then Chamblee was blasting back at him. Seems like this is setting up as a pretty decent fight.

Yeah, Lefty  is lambasting the PGA Tour for its “obnoxious greed”.  He then goes on to say that the PGA is holding on to $20 billion  worth of digital rights that should go to the players. He doesn’t elaborate where he got that number. I’m guessing out of his ass. 

The replies to that tweet include rumors that DJ and Bubba have signed on also. And based on Charlie Hoffman's meltdown over the weekend, I think he's probably leaving, too. 

18 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m guessing out of his ass. 

That's a safe bet.

58 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I haven’t been following it much at all but saw that Phil made some remarks about the PGA tour while he was playing over in Saudi and then Chamblee was blasting back at him. Seems like this is setting up as a pretty decent fight.

Fuck Phil for making me agree with something Brandel Chamblee said.

• Like 1

If these guys want to go chase money on the Saudi tour then more power to them. But there needs to be repercussions. Suspend their cards. Don’t let them play in PGA or RGA events. Don’t let the Saudi events count towards OWGR or other official stats. Don’t let them back immediately when it goes belly up. Treat the Saudi events as exhibitions, which is what they are. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap33 said:

Anyone else following this?

PGA Tour player Kramer Hickok says he thinks 17 golfers have already "jumped over" to a rumoured Saudi-backed Super League amid ongoing speculation of a new breakaway circuit. The circuit in question has been dominating the news recently with reports of a $1.5bn budget and huge offers to the likes of Bryson DeChambeau and Ian Poulter.

Hickok, speaking on the Stripe Show podcast, was brutally honest with his words on the rumoured tour, revealing that it could have between 12-14 tournaments that feature just 40 players and no cut. Hickok, who says he has heard things from fellow pros, said that "a lot of big names" will go to a new tour that could begin as early as June. The American also said that "some of these guys are probably getting a little bit greedy" and "we’re starting to realise how money-hungry a lot of players on the PGA Tour."

"You’re going to see a lot of big names jump over there, I think there’s already been 17 guys that have jumped over and I can’t say who they are but there’s going to be some big names going over there," the Texan said on the Stripe Show podcast. "Look, I mean from what I’ve heard the money’s very, very appealing. You’re only gonna have 12-14 events, those events are gonna have purses, you’re not going to have to deal with missing a cut anymore, there’s only going to be 40 players. And 10 of those 14 events will be in the States. Signing bonuses, huge, huge purses, it’s going to be very appealing for some of these guys. Yeah you’ll see some big names for sure.

"I’m extremely happy with the PGA Tour. I have a lot of perspective I would say, in college all I wanted to do was play on the PGA Tour, I wanted to win tournaments, I wanted to win The Masters and put on the green jacket. I am extremely blessed but I think some of these guys are probably getting a little bit greedy. I think you have to be thankful and appreciative for the Tour, they’ve given us this platform to be able to chase our dreams and do what we love and make a great living doing it. To go after a few extra bucks, I mean I think it might be a little greedy because you don’t know how long that Tour is going to be around, you don’t know if that money’s going to dry up, you don’t know what’s going to happen and if you do leave you’ll be banned from the Tour, the Tour’s come out and said that.

"The word is that the Tour is going to start in June so you’re going to start seeing this stuff, you know you’re going to start seeing these name changes in the spring time. Very soon. A lot of these guys have signed NDAs but a lot of these guys you’re seeing these guys signing at tournaments and getting a huge amount of money wired to their bank account the next day.

"I think we’re starting to realise how money-hungry a lot of players on the PGA Tour are because a lot of it is just money. I think there’s pros and cons. The pros are money, the pros are less events. The cons are you don’t really know who you’re getting in bed with here."

There has been no official confirmation of a Saudi-backed super league and 2020 US Open champion Bryson DeChambeau has denied reports of the huge deal he was said to have received. DeChambeau also denied reports that he told players he was quitting the PGA Tour.

7 minutes ago, field said:

The word is that the Tour is going to start in June

Which gives these guys enough time to play The Masters and the PGA -- and possibly the US Open, if it doesn't start until late-June.  

I can see a guy like Phil who's in between the regular and senior tours, or guys like Hoffman who make a living making cuts (NTTAWWT). But for DJ, Bryson, Bubba, it's such a gross money grab. I hope the PGA has the balls to revoke their cards.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cap33 said:

Which gives these guys enough time to play The Masters and the PGA -- and possibly the US Open, if it doesn't start until late-June.  

I can see a guy like Phil who's in between the regular and senior tours, or guys like Hoffman who make a living making cuts (NTTAWWT). But for DJ, Bryson, Bubba, it's such a gross money grab. I hope the PGA has the balls to revoke their cards.

The Masters, US Open, and The Open Championship are still playable to those on the SuperTour. If they are invited (Masters), or qualify Opens.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

The Masters, US Open, and The Open Championship are still playable to those on the SuperTour. If they are invited (Masters), or qualify Opens.

Absolutely. I was just noting that the timing allows them to play without putting those tournaments, the PGA, TV networks, etc. in an awkward position so soon.

So who do we think is the 20? Here are the names I’m seeing:

DeChambeau, Mickelson, DJ, Westwood, Poulter, Kokrak, Bubba, Reed, Cam Smith, Lieshman, Hatton, Fleetwood, ???

I really hope some of the guys that played in the recent tournament over there are not jumping, like Xander, Wolff, Finau, etc. Let’s not fuck up the Ryder Cup magic we might be able to have for the next decade…

I listened to the NLU podcast with the founder of the PGL and that sounded intriguing. They clearly have a well baked plan. PGL makes sense with a 20 man field. I'd be down with his proposal as it could intertwine with the PGA tour rather than usurp it, give fans a rooting interest at the team level, and give events confidence they are going to get a world class field if they risk the money to put on an event.

This Saudi league is so shrouded in mystery that I can only guess they don't have a fuck all clue what to do once they get the players signed. If it's just a 20 man stroke play event, that's going to be horrible. Half of those players (at least) are going to suck shit through a straw any given week which gives you only 10 worth showing the shots of. And with only 20 players, the odds of someone running away with it early on is high.

Even if it was a full 60ish like a WGC, you run the same risk. At least with a full field event, you are only showing the best 65 that week over the weekend and you get the excitement of fighting for the cut (I'm always intrigued by the cut line story but admittedly GC does a pretty shit job of covering it). 

I can't wait to see the full list of 20 players. Once they're banned, maybe we add a Ryder Cup style event - PGA vs Saudi.

Edited by dieucla98
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Trophies and the pictures on the wall as well.  I went to the U.S. Open there in the late 90s.  Beautiful place. 

I've played there 3 times (Sorry twice, North once) and went to the Ryder Cup, PGA Championship, and the last US Am they held there. You are right, they can rebuild but it won't replace the history lost.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

With actual golf underway at the Genesis Invitational, Thursday seemed like it might be the day the collective golf public shifted from breakaway tour speculation to the on-course action at Riviera.

Not so fast.

Phil Mickelson’s latest comments on the long-rumored Saudi-backed rival golf league reignited the conversation around it. Alan Shipnuck of the Firepit Collective relayed a phone conversation he’d had with Mickelson last November in which Lefty painted himself as a key architect in the proposed league — and added that he hoped the plan would generate leverage in future negotiations with the PGA Tour.

The tournament looked every bit like its usual self; pros meandered down Riviera’s sun-splashed fairways, plotting their way around one of the most challenging courses on Tour. But murmurs of Mickelson’s remarks made their way through the crowd. The modern PGA Tour fan is plugged in, and a power struggle among Tour stars makes for compelling palace intrigue. On a slow Thursday, there’s plenty of time for speculation.

Coming off a round of four-under 67, Justin Thomas — himself a PGA Tour loyalist — was asked if he’d seen Mickelson’s remarks. Understandably, he had not, though he wasn’t surprised Lefty had made news.

“Shocking, never would have guessed,” he said, a verbal eye-roll. When a reporter explained the gist of the article, Thomas let it fly.

“Seems like a bit of a pretty, you know, egotistical statement,” he added. “I don’t know, it’s like, he’s done a lot of great things for the PGA Tour, he’s a big reason it is where it is, but him and others that are very adamant about that [league], if they’re that passionate, go ahead. I don’t think anybody’s stopping them.”

Asked if it was time for players to pick a side and move on, Thomas said he was well past that point.

“I’ve heard way too much talk about a lot of players that are ‘so done with everything,’ but they keep hanging around, so clearly they’re not too done.”

If Mickelson’s remarks were the latest reminder that this is all just getting started, Thomas’ remarks served to remind that players are already sick of talking about it. Those pros who have made their stances clear, like Rory McIlroy, and Jon Rahm, feel they have little left to add.

“I am officially declaring, let’s say, my affiliation to the PGA Tour,” Jon Rahm said, aiming to end further questions on the subject.

“I’m all for the PGA Tour,” Collin Morikawa said.

“I’m so sick of it,” McIlroy said on Wednesday, slipping in a dig about the “not-so-Super League.” He also referenced the wave of top pros who have declared their allegiance to the PGA Tour, a list which includes the three top-ranked players in the world, Rahm, Morikawa and Patrick Cantlay, plus Thomas, Spieth, McIlroy and others. “You’ve got the top players in the world who are saying ‘no,’ so that has to tell you something.”

Max Homa added a particularly compelling rebuke of the league, though he admitted he hadn’t been approached to join them.

“Money makes me comfortable, it hasn’t made me happy,” he said. “When I come to an event like this, it even puts more perspective on how much I enjoy playing on the PGA Tour.”

By contrast, those pros who are considering the leap to a new league have been less outspoken, citing ongoing discussions and NDAs.

“Like everyone else, we’re sworn to secrecy,” said Adam Scott, who called the tour’s proposed schedule “very appealing.”

As a result, news comes via rumors or one-off conversations, like those Mickelson has had with Shipnuck and Golf Digest’s John Huggan. The former added particularly juicy context to the architecture of the new league, as Mickelson divulged that he was well aware of the Saudi government’s human rights abuses but saw opportunity nonetheless.

“Knowing all of this [about the Saudi government], why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates,” he told Shipnuck. “They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse.”

Mickelson hasn’t addressed the interview, nor has he played a PGA Tour event since his trip to the Saudi International.

At Riviera, even as the tournament continues, the chatter does too.

https://golf.com/news/justin-thomas-phil-mickelson-egotistical-statement/

Tiger:

“Yeah, that’s something that — we’ve struggled with that for decades really. If you remember Larry [Rinker] wanted to unionize our Tour and we went through that whole process.

Probably what we didn’t understand at the time even when I first came out here over 25 years ago is where our Tour would go, where our media would go. We barely had cell phones, barely had the internet.

Media rights is a big thing. A lot of us are concerned about what is the direction where we’re going and how can we have more control over that. There’s been a lot of talk from whether it’s the PAC or the board or from players internally. Everyone has their opinion about it, but we need to come to a collective decision.

Jay has taken it all in to try and figure out what’s best for each and every individual player because we’re all independent contractors, but again, what is best for the Tour as a brand as well. Trying to put all that together, meanwhile still grow the Tour at the same time and all the different media rights that have come about over the last 10 years, whether it’s streaming, which didn’t exist, where do you go on that, where does the Tour go, who owns those rights, how much do you share of that, where does it go.

But I have to say that one of the things that allows our sport, what separates our sport so much is, one, the fact that we were able to have the best retirement plan there is in all of sports, and we have an opportunity to play well past our playing days and still earn well over a million dollars well into our 50s where football players are done at nine years.

Yes, there’s give and take, okay? We just need to find — there’s a balance of what’s best for the players and what’s best for the brand.”

https://golf.com/news/tiger-woods-surprising-response-media-rights/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:37 PM, TonyTexas said:

If these guys want to go chase money on the Saudi tour then more power to them. But there needs to be repercussions. Suspend their cards. Don’t let them play in PGA or RGA events. Don’t let the Saudi events count towards OWGR or other official stats. Don’t let them back immediately when it goes belly up. Treat the Saudi events as exhibitions, which is what they are. 

They need to torture those fucks in PGA headquarters, murder the traitorous bastards and ultimately dismember the bodies leaving no evidence. Wait....I think I'm getting the PGA Tour and the Saudis mixed up again.

On 2/16/2022 at 8:49 PM, ztejas said:

This is so bizarre. I didn't think Bryson would actually do it.

For real? If you asked me to pick one player on tour that would pull this kind of stunt, he's my easy pick. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

For real? If you asked me to pick one player on tour that would pull this kind of stunt, he's my easy pick. 

I would think it's an easier decision for plenty of older guys that are closer to retiring and aren't likely to win many if any more. Bryson is just 28 - has one major and 8 tour wins. I would think he'd want to play for more accolades. Especially if it means he can never play the PGA Championship again. 

Out of the younger stars? Sure - he's almost assuredly the likely culprit. And I'm not really surprised he's linked - just didn't think he'd ultimately go for it. Then again - like I said - I don't have (reportedly) 200M in front of me.