Top Chef - Houston

TonyTexas

Exclusive: 'Top Chef' to set its next season in Houston - and filming has already begun

Greg MoragoStaff writer
Updated: Sep. 21, 2021 1:07 pm

The logo for Season 19 of Bravo's "Top Chef" was designed by Houston artist David Maldonado.Bravo / Bravo

If the world wasn’t already familiar with the food and dining glories of Houston, it will be: Bravo’s “Top Chef” is coming to the Bayou City.

NBC/Universal, the parent company of Bravo, and Houston First confirmed Tuesday that television’s biggest chef competition will be set in Houston for Season 19, airing in spring 2022. Filming has already begun for “Top Chef: Houston,” which will be set against the city’s vibrant, multicultural food scene.

While the show’s chef contestants have not yet been named, Bravo announced that series host Padma Lakshmi will return with head judge Tom Colicchio as well as Gail Simmons at the judge’s table. Houston chef Dawn Burrell, who competed in the finale for the most recent “Top Chef” set in Portland, Ore., will be among the chef all-stars appearing on the series.

For the dark mode users. 

If the world wasn’t already familiar with the food and dining glories of Houston, it will be: Bravo’s “Top Chef” is coming to the Bayou City.

NBC/Universal, the parent company of Bravo, and Houston First confirmed Tuesday that television’s biggest chef competition will be set in Houston for Season 19, airing in spring 2022. Filming has already begun for “Top Chef: Houston,” which will be set against the city’s vibrant, multicultural food scene.

While the show’s chef contestants have not yet been named, Bravo announced that series host Padma Lakshmi will return with head judge Tom Colicchio as well as Gail Simmons at the judge’s table. Houston chef Dawn Burrell, who competed in the finale for the most recent “Top Chef” set in Portland, Ore., will be among the chef all-stars appearing on the series.

• Hook 'Em 1

It sounds like the format is going to be a lot like Portland, with alumni judges. I hope they are able to get out and about more. Expect lots of ethnic food. That’s what really sets Houston’s food scene apart. 

On a different note, I’m a little surprised that they are coming to Texas given the current political climate. Padma is an outspoken advocate for women’s rights. Either she doesn’t have as much clout as I thought or the planning was just too far along to change when the abortion law was signed. 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

On a different note, I’m a little surprised that they are coming to Texas given the current political climate. Padma is an outspoken advocate for women’s rights. Either she doesn’t have as much clout as I thought or the planning was just too far along to change when the abortion law was signed. 

They are getting RAILED on Twitter. If they are already filming, these contracts were signed long ago, so not sure what people want to happen. No CR. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Group pic 

4ecdba7f4ef8849dfd7dba80f9a46a94.jpg

Bios 

Wonder if @Beau Vine knows her fiancée? 

Jo Chan

Hometown: Palmdale, California
Current city of residence: Austin, TX
Occupation/Profession: Executive Chef

Jo Chan graduated from San Diego State University before attending the San Diego Culinary Institute. In 2012, she moved to New York City, where she began her career at Nobu Fifty-Seven. From there she went to work under Jonathan Waxman at Barbuto in the West Village. Her time at Barbuto brought her to the kitchen of fellow Barbuto alumni Justin Smillie, who collaborated with Stephen Starr to create Upland. Chef Jo then went to Scandinavia as the travelling Executive Chef for James Beard winner Marcus Samuelsson. She moved to Austin in 2018, where she became Executive Chef at Eberly. She has found a strong community in this city and hopes to deepen her roots here in the coming years. Her new project will combine her love of Italian food with Austin's unique appetite for high-quality ingredients served in a casual setting. She lives with her beautiful fiancée, who is an English professor at Texas State University, and their two perfect dogs, Blue and Luna.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another disappointing casting. Not a single native Texan chef and only one transplant. Texas is loaded with diverse top level chefs that are making cutting edge cuisine. I’d rather see local or regional chefs with a mix of outsiders wherever they are.

Instead we will get the usual lectures through the show about the evils of Texas, and then they will depart for some other place rather quickly like they did on the previous Texas show.

Doesn't warrant its own thread, but anyone watching Next Level Chef?  I actually enjoy it quite a bit.  Gordon Ramsey, Blaise, and Nyeesha are the hosts.  They got the inspiration from that wack ass Netflix movie with the platform of food in the prison that moves up and down.  Anyway, if you are jonesing for a decent cooking competition between Top Chef seasons, give it a shot.  On Fox I believe.

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Doesn't warrant its own thread, but anyone watching Next Level Chef?  I actually enjoy it quite a bit.  Gordon Ramsey, Blaise, and Nyeesha are the hosts.  They got the inspiration from that wack ass Netflix movie with the platform of food in the prison that moves up and down.  Anyway, if you are jonesing for a decent cooking competition between Top Chef seasons, give it a shot.  On Fox I believe.

It’s ok.  But very contrived even for a cooking show. Also I’d rather watch real chefs cook, not these amateurs 

We’ve watched it but it’s all contrived around this moving platform. Too many cooks. And there’s always the prized protein that somehow gets missed and ends up on the bottom. There is no connections among Gordon Richard and nyeesha. And in another cheap move they are also the judges.

I think Alex vs America on FN is a better show with real expert cooking plus a little strategery. Three chefs go against iron chef Alex, pick various categories, and go at it.

MasterChef Canada is also on Netflix. It’s interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, Texzilla58 said:

Another disappointing casting. Not a single native Texan chef and only one transplant. Texas is loaded with diverse top level chefs that are making cutting edge cuisine. I’d rather see local or regional chefs with a mix of outsiders wherever they are.

Instead we will get the usual lectures through the show about the evils of Texas, and then they will depart for some other place rather quickly like they did on the previous Texas show.

The show has never made an attempt to feature a bunch of local chefs as contestants. It has nothing to do with Texas. 

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I didn’t know what y’all meant by the family shit, but seeing the preview, absolutely not. 

Decent first episode. Like that they are still using former chefs as judges. 

This has been on Peacock for months. I made it through 1 episode before bailing. Choosing Meghan Trainor to host is baffling. 

Pom-poms were fucking dorky as shit.
Whitey chicks are off to a rough start. 

The whole football style challenge was good in concept and didn’t work in actuality. The idea would have been the coach on defense sending in the dish to counter the offense but in reality they were just going with who was ready. Who knows how long they were filming so some of the dishes suffered? There was no strategery from the “coaches” and the chefs seem to be a dumb lot in general who don’t get how to play the game.

That Jackson dude should have been taken to the airport immediately after presenting queso as a whatever that was. He is a Royal douche.