Top Chef - Houston

TonyTexas

On 4/29/2022 at 12:37 AM, pops said:

Luke's dish sucked but fuck I'm tired of seeing ashleyiegh's face. She's horrible.  Wet rice soaked in gravy with no texture. Fuck off.

And Gail needs to open another button. Let those sweater puppies breathe!

we don't need to worry about Ashleigh, she isn't going to Sanjaya her way into the finale.

no creativity, doesn't make beautiful food and is easily one of the worst platers this season, she has no flexibility when it comes to a menu/dish and was incredibly lucky to get through Sara in LCK (she should have gone out for the okra dish)

i know it isn't the exact same, but compare her plates to KBCs from a few years ago if you want a chuckle: https://ew.com/tv/top-chef-season-16-food/?slide=6210323#6210323

jackson deserved to go home last week but his flameout is incredible. he either won the elimination challenge (2) or was in the top for 7 of the 8 episodes he was in.

for comparison going back to s10: shota won 4 of 13 episodes and was high or won 9/13 in portland. in boston, gregory won 5/14 and won or was high in 9/14. in new orleans, nina won 3/16 and won/was high in 10/16.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Tom seems ready to say fuck it. He’s totally engaged on LCK where it’s just cooking. The endless wokeness seems to be tiring him out. The show is less about cooking and more about the narrative of your dish today.

I just don’t see it man. Because this last one was in a historical black church?  The horror. But you do you. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I just don’t see it man. Because this last one was in a historical black church?  The horror. But you do you. 

Has nothing to do with it being at that church and it’s importance in the story of Texas. That could have been a far better story of its importance to Texas but they didn’t do very good research. I’ve lived all over, grew up in Memphis, and Juneteenth was unknown most places until recently.

I think they have done a lousy job this season showing off the real multiethnic fabric of Houston and how it has developed new cuisines from old and new ethnic groups the way Texas does. Viet-Cajun could only come from here.

It’s public they wanted to move from Houston but couldn’t due to timing. They then tried to bend Houston over for funds. Its a resulting lazy effort with an aura of we don’t want to be here. Food is lazy from average chefs, and the judging has been defanged.
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Has nothing to do with it being at that church and it’s importance in the story of Texas. That could have been a far better story of its importance to Texas but they didn’t do very good research. I’ve lived all over, grew up in Memphis, and Juneteenth was unknown most places until recently.

I think they have done a lousy job this season showing off the real multiethnic fabric of Houston and how it has developed new cuisines from old and new ethnic groups the way Texas does. Viet-Cajun could only come from here.

It’s public they wanted to move from Houston but couldn’t due to timing. They then tried to bend Houston over for funds. Its a resulting lazy effort with an aura of we don’t want to be here. Food is lazy from average chefs, and the judging has been defanged.

i am assuming viet cajun is coming soon?

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Fair.  What about the wanting to move from Houston part?  I know that Houston wouldn't let them come during the Texas season.  Every city Top Chef is in pays them and Houston didn't want to.  Guess they changed their minds this time around.

That farmers market looked cool.  I had never heard of it.

Taken as a group, the fajitas were pathetic.  It was good that Nick won, for his making tortillas if nothing else.  Needing a fork to eat it should have been a dq.

That farmers market looked cool.  I had never heard of it.
Taken as a group, the fajitas were pathetic.  It was good that Nick won, for his making tortillas if nothing else.  Needing a fork to eat it should have been a dq.

What would you expect from a group that didn’t grasp the concept of queso or toast? A pathetic group of a bunch of pretentious food artists. Nick and Evelyn are the only two I’d eat their food.

The judges didn’t seem to be in on issues of texture, crumbs, and salt for space, hence buddy wins with a product that isn’t able to go to space. Evelyn and Nick had the most space worthy/ready dishes. There is no way they will allow either of these rustic food purveyors to win.

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Because that episode fucking sucked, & you will go to your grave defending this show. 

Lulz. I like the show. This certainly isn’t one of the better seasons. I just laugh when y’all get all bent out of shape, yet continue to watch. 

Yellowstone started to suck and I quit watching. It’s not hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess we’ll never see a Top Chef Amarillo but I keep hoping…

Outside of Jackson and the sketchiness aside with the taste smell deal the top four have been the top four throughout…I’d have preferred Jae still be up there right now but it is what it is. It’s not been a huge mystery which cheftestants are the best of this bunch this season. I’m enjoying it. It’s not the best season but it’s still better than most any other show of it’s kind out there. Tom looks really tired. He’s been working his butt off saving restaurants and I can see he looks like he’s just worn out. That sucks because he is the show to me…

Was hoping Gail and Padma would get drenched and have a wet gown contest. Adrienne Cheatham showed up to compete best she could with Gail and Padma.

The right person went home tonight. There wasn’t a chef on this show this season that would compete with Sheldon, or Shota, or Adrienne. It’s likely going to be Buddha and Evelyn in the final.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Killed another one. 

Their reactions to Tucson were funny. 

Whether Covid related or just budgetary, going to Tucson when previous seasons went to Singapore, Europe, Mexico, etc Going to Tucson had to be a “huh. They fucked us moment”.

Nick has had a real issue with fuckups and omissions all season. Just inexcusable mistakes this round.

Don’t know many fishermen who say they’re going out to catch dinner. Let’s shoot for some gafftop and Bull reds. They both suck. 

Buddha has to be the odds on favorite. He’s really good. Evelyn is several steps behind but should do well in Tucson with her Latin cuisine skills. I’d put Sarah 3rd. She’s battle tested. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

Big reds on the half shell taste just fine.  I have never heard of a fishing guide who goes after gafftops though.  I guess I'm going to start a guide business that promises all the hardheads and skipjacks you can catch.

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Big reds on the half shell taste just fine.  I have never heard of a fishing guide who goes after gafftops though.  I guess I'm going to start a guide business that promises all the hardheads and skipjacks you can catch.

Slot reds up to 28” are fine. The smaller the better. But Bull reds are typically >35” and are bloody, tough and stringy. And the filets are really too thick to prepare on the half shell. 

Edited by TonyTexas