Super Mario Bros. Staring Chris Pratt and Anya Taylor-Joy

Viper

13 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Someone school me on what the nihilistic glowy character in the cage was.   

It’s from Super Mario Galaxy - a Luma.  They help you out in the game.

My favorite callback was the “Chasse au Canard” restaurant.  There was a preview for some duck movie just before.  I was halfway expecting it to be a fake trailer for Duck Hunt the movie.

Also, the kids won’t stop playing Peaches on the Sonos.

I noticed Bowsers piano had Ludwig von Koopa on it, the name of one of his kids from SMB3. and of course there was the call back to Mario's first nintendo game, Wrecking Crew being the job he left to become a plumber.

• Hook 'Em 1

Peaches peaches peaches peaches peaches 

1 minute ago, Viper said:

I noticed Bowsers piano had Ludwig von Koopa on it, the name of one of his kids from SMB3. and of course there was the call back to Mario's first nintendo game, Wrecking Crew being the job he left to become a plumber.

Lugwig is my dog. He looks dope in Mario kart deluxe on switch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2023 at 4:29 PM, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

My daughter and I had this exact same conversation yesterday and we used the exact same line about Peaches not being a helpless damsel in distress. Her character could have easily been the weak link that dragged the movie down, but she was great. Fun movie. 

[slorch] I find it really hard to believe that a woman could beat up Bowser. But that's woke Nintendo for ya. [/slorch]

Saw it with the kid today. He loved it. I thought it was fine.

• Haha 3

The writers knew the assignment. I was skeptical it was just a money grab but the movie worked for kids and parents.

There was some Good sound adaptation to help the nostalgia points. And the length was just about right at 90 minutes.

We saw it yesterday…on a side note holy shit Alamo food has gone downhill and up in price, at least it was awful yesterday.  Oh well they had Pecan Porter.  

Good family movie…kids enjoyed the ride, I caught all the throwback references and any movie that’s under 2 hours gets my respect (have a burning hatred for overly long movies with too much filler).  As far as movies I’ve caught with wife/kids in tow, well executed and entertaining enough.  

The music was where I caught the nostalgia hard though.  Stuff from SNES Mario will always get my attention.  It was all worked artfully into the overall score and didn’t blare out ‘and now something for you old folks who remember music from a game 30 years old!’

Impressive numbers:

The otherwordly journey of struggling Italian American plumbers from Brooklyn just smashed through $1 billion at the global box office. The Super Mario Bros. Movie hit the milestone yesterday, 26 days after its release. It’s in rare company: The film, from Illumination and Universal, is the fifth movie since the Covid pandemic began to hit the threshold and the 10th animated movie ever to gross $1 billion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/5/2023 at 8:45 AM, Js1 said:

Watched it last night. I liked it. Rainbow Road was so great 

Watched it with the family last night. This was, as the kids say, mid af. Not bad, but not great either. Feel like could have been done so much better, but it was fine. Jack Black's Bowser needed more screen time.