1. 1. Have you contracted Covid-19?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Have you contracted COVID-19 REDUX

• Yes, more than once
    • Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, shit. Made it three years. Had a really schmutzy throat the past two days (thought it was elevated cedar). Then, got really tired yesterday evening. Took my temp, no fever. Was wiped today after lunch. Went home, popped a quick positive.

Drink a lot of water, take some Vitamin C, D, and magnesium.  Alka Seltzer cold and flu helps, too.  Should be good to go in no time.  Get better!

7 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

How is this poll so fucked? Maybe 1% of the people I know IRL haven’t contracted the Rona.

The excessive alcohol consumption by the average Surly member doesn't allow for the virus to take hold. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Never got it

Never got the vaccine

Any of my co workers that got the vaccine got it about 3 weeks after. Most have also got it multiple times.

I heard somebody say it's blood type helps but I don't know, I also travel and interacted with people and worked through the whole thing. Got lucky I guess.

I did get a stomach bug last week that put me out of commission entirely for about 16 hours. I thought I got food poisoning in Corpus Christi but then my wife got it, son got it next, then her sister, and then my daughter. Nobody had it at the same time we all passed it around lol

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/9/2022 at 11:22 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I had a classic case of shingles -- the stripe on one side of my torso -- and it was terribly not fun.  I eventually got an Rx for oxy-something, but I'm terrified of narcotics (since my family is prone to addictive behavior), so I stared at that damn bottle of pills for 3 days without taking any.  Eventually the pain faded. 

Then I gave the oxy-something to my bandmate who enjoys opioids every now and then.  (Maybe I shouldn't have done that.)

We just keep any opioids in the back of the medicine cabinet in case a injury or bad migraine or something. I guess they lose potency but it's better than taking them for two weeks then getting the itch to steal a car radio for some quick cash to obtain more.

Got it 6 months or so ago. Had the initial vaccine, no booster. It was like having a cold for a week or so. Initially a lot of coughing, low fever, slight headache for a few days. It was more of a slight inconvenience than anything. Everyone in our family has (3of us) had it, no major symptoms

Got it 6 months or so ago. Had the initial vaccine, no booster. It was like having a cold for a week or so. Initially a lot of coughing, low fever, slight headache for a few days. It was more of a slight inconvenience than anything. Everyone in our family has (3of us) had it, no major symptoms

Yeah, I’ve been vaxxed, and just made it three years without getting it. Lot of coughing sat and sun, although that’s subsided now. Nasal congestion now. Had a headache last night, and was really tired - both of which I wrote off as due to the coughing I’d been doing relating to cedar (I thought). Haven’t popped a fever that I can tell (MAYBE 98.8). Looking back, I’ve had symptoms and felt crappy for three days now, so hoping maybe I’m at rock bottom right now. Feel really stupid and guilty for going into the office, even if it was for just a half day, and I mostly kept to my office.

27 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I’ve been vaxxed, and just made it three years without getting it. Lot of coughing sat and sun, although that’s subsided now. Nasal congestion now. Had a headache last night, and was really tired - both of which I wrote off as due to the coughing I’d been doing relating to cedar (I thought). Haven’t popped a fever that I can tell (MAYBE 98.8). Looking back, I’ve had symptoms and felt crappy for three days now, so hoping maybe I’m at rock bottom right now. Feel really stupid and guilty for going into the office, even if it was for just a half day, and I mostly kept to my office.

FWIW in case you've considered it, Paxlovid eliminated my symptoms in ~12 hours. 

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, shit. Made it three years. Had a really schmutzy throat the past two days (thought it was elevated cedar). Then, got really tired yesterday evening. Took my temp, no fever. Was wiped today after lunch. Went home, popped a quick positive.

Exact same here except neg test sat and sun. Went to clinic today for eval and asked for a test, and positive. 

first day all coughing, yesterday added headache and today is runny nose and post nasal drip but headache subsided. And Walgreens didn’t bother to fill my scrip before closing tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Visiting with my PCP tomorrow…but by message, my heart doc says I DON’T need it. We’ll see what my PCP says. I may have been sick too long for it to help.

5 days from symptom onset is the guidance the np gave me. But I can’t start on it until tomorrow morning, as mentioned above. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

you got home tests?  a lot of those symptoms seem similar

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Visiting with my PCP tomorrow…but by message, my heart doc says I DON’T need it. We’ll see what my PCP says. I may have been sick too long for it to help.

The fact that you *have* a heart doctor means you need it

**but what do I know I’m just a dumb bone doctor

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, like I said…gonna let my PCP weigh in tomorrow.

I hope your symptoms remain mild. I caught it last summer. Only symptom I had was worst sore throat of my life. Like so bad I thought I was going to go nuts. Was drinking chloroseptic which would help like for 5 min. Got the paxlovid and felt better about 4 hours after first dose. Only tolerated 2 doses though because of the horrible taste. I don’t know if everyone gets that but I sure did. Get some cinnamon hard candy and keep one in your mouth at all times

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My round of the 'vid was mostly headache and a mild cough.  It sure seems to manifest differently with different people.

True. I wouldn’t even have thought it could be covid but my wife had it a few days  before and by the time she was symptomatic (body aches chills and cough) I was exposed 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

True. I wouldn’t even have thought it could be covid but my wife had it a few days  before and by the time she was symptomatic (body aches chills and cough) I was exposed 

My symptoms had come and gone at least a day before my wife became symptomatic, and she didn't test for a day or so after that.  At that point, I was pretty much "hmmm, I wonder if that's what I had?"  Did the test, popped positive.

58 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I hope your symptoms remain mild. I caught it last summer. Only symptom I had was worst sore throat of my life. Like so bad I thought I was going to go nuts. Was drinking chloroseptic which would help like for 5 min. Got the paxlovid and felt better about 4 hours after first dose. Only tolerated 2 doses though because of the horrible taste. I don’t know if everyone gets that but I sure did. Get some cinnamon hard candy and keep one in your mouth at all times

Taste isn’t something some of the patients have to worry about 

Still no COVID for me.  I've been sick a few times over the past couple years, but all COVID tests were negative, so they likely were just colds or some other virus going around.  My ex wife has gotten COVID twice.  Both of my kids got it in December, possibly from their mom, so she agreed to keep them for about a week since I had a trial setting in December that I didn't want to fuck up, and that helped me dodge it. 

I did get acute bronchitis in January.  It was never really debilitating, and I could still go to work and generally function fine.  But I had a lot of fatigue and woke up every morning for about 7-10 days feeling like a just ran a half marathon.  I finally got on an antibiotic that helped clear it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Both of us haven’t been sick since this crap started. Vaxxed twice, boosted twice. 
We take a daily dose of Airborne. 
But we have not traveled anywhere overnight. 
We go to happy hour about every other week with fellow olds. A couple of them caught it elsewhere - probably while traveling - but they stayed away from us. We also dine out at least once a week early (no crowds).
After being vaxxed we went to most of the UT home football games. We go to Costco maybe once a month but mask up there.

My immediate family is all vaxxed & boosted. 
Son1 & DIL have not caught it even after numerous trips to Las Vegas & Cancun, plus his business trips once a month. His daughter had a mild case last fall.
Son3 likewise has been Covid-free, but he can’t afford to go anywhere except work (at Tesla) and family dinners. His SO hasn’t had it.
Son2 and his two boys have all had it, but just sick for a few days at home.

Keeping our fingers crossed.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went 2 plus years without getting it.  Now have it for the second time in about 6 months.  Fuck.  Managed to do a bunch of overseas trips without getting it, but apparently a long weekend at an Airbnb in the middle of nowhere was a bridge too far late last week.  Mostly just really, really tired.

Been fortunate so far. Everyone in my family has had it and a great majority of the people at work have had it including the guy I share an office with (he was one of the first). At work that's a total of no fewer than 15 to 25 people I come in direct contact with daily, not to mention the part of my job that takes me out in public most days.

I may cross post this with the 2023 Shart thread on avoidance. 😁

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I figured that was me too just because I thought everyone has to have had it by now, but I had it recently and it was like a flu. Fever, chills, body aches, lethargy, coughing- it sucked

I caught it over Christmas after getting stranded in Ft Lauderdale (Thanks SWA) for 3 days. My experience with it was like yours. Felt like I'd been hit by a truck for about 5 days. 2X Vaxxed and boosted. 

42 minutes ago, Player said:

It wasn’t until my last blood draw for the Texas Cares study that I learned that I had previously had Covid.

Vaxed and boosted, so my case was evidently so mild that I didn’t even know I had it.

Same. If I look back I maybe had one night where I had symptoms to were very similar to what I had post-vax (chills, night sweats, etc.)

Still have never popped a positive on a diagnostic test, only N antibodies. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Except that hour when you and I went to lunch and you kept coughing into my pho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally got it a few weeks ago in Spain. My GF got if first and then I got it. I have had 5 vaccines so it ended up being milder than any flu I have had. It did kill about anytime we had in Barcelona, pretty much just hung out in our hotel room. It took about 10 days to test negative again.

I got vaccinated + boosters.  Got Covid right after the holidays, 2-3 weeks after getting the flu. Same symptoms, post nasal drip and coughing, 101.9 ℉ fever (I was surprised when I checked this, didn't feel feverish). Did Teledoc because of the fever.  Cedar fever at the same time was the biggest issue.

14 hours ago, Zeus said:

Never got it

Never got the vaccine

Any of my co workers that got the vaccine got it about 3 weeks after. Most have also got it multiple times.

I heard somebody say it's blood type helps but I don't know, I also travel and interacted with people and worked through the whole thing. Got lucky I guess.

I did get a stomach bug last week that put me out of commission entirely for about 16 hours. I thought I got food poisoning in Corpus Christi but then my wife got it, son got it next, then her sister, and then my daughter. Nobody had it at the same time we all passed it around lol

I caught Covid in Corpus. Shout out to the lady in the booth behind me at BJ’s Brewhouse that coughed all over me. But the beer was great, so it was still worth it. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Except that hour when you and I went to lunch and you kept coughing into my pho.

And....you're welcome.

Did pop a slight fever late last night (99.7), and slept....ok.  Actually better than I'd slept the past three nights, although that bar wasn't set real high.  Woke up to an early morning text telling us we got outbid on a flat we were trying to buy (12 bids, we were the second highest....but the highest was WAY higher, so, enjoy your new flat Mr. Moneybags).  Felt okay, but still tired, went back to sleep for several more hours.

Functional now, had a little coffee, drinking Body Armors to hydrate, not hungry AT ALL (hey, maybe Brisket will lose 5 lbs?  That would put him at like....10% of his loss goal!)

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

me and my family have all received all of the vaccines and boosters. none of us (7) have contracted it. Further, same goes for both sets of grandparents and all of our siblings. We are a No Rona family.

that was one big jinx you just threw on the 94 family.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Still no COVID for me.  I've been sick a few times over the past couple years, but all COVID tests were negative, so they likely were just colds or some other virus going around.  My ex wife has gotten COVID twice.  Both of my kids got it in December, possibly from their mom, so she agreed to keep them for about a week since I had a trial setting in December that I didn't want to fuck up, and that helped me dodge it. 

I did get acute bronchitis in January.  It was never really debilitating, and I could still go to work and generally function fine.  But I had a lot of fatigue and woke up every morning for about 7-10 days feeling like a just ran a half marathon.  I finally got on an antibiotic that helped clear it out.

unless you took multiple tests, you still might’ve had it.  Lots of people I know did not test positive until maybe the third or fourth test.

I had it in January. Basically a really intense 3 day flu, fever and hideous congestion, then on day 4 my fever broke and I was symptom free by day 6. Just like that. 

my wife had it too, it took 2 weeks to clear, and she still occasionally gets short of breath. 

We’ve both had the max shots and I mixed and matched Moderna and Pfizer. 

Edited by Bateshorn

Have had it twice. Both times we got it from one of our kids sporting events. Nothing like being locked in a convention center with 1000+ other people to ensure a virus spreads.

Neither case was that bad. First time I didn't have any symptoms other than being incredibly fatigued.

Vaxed and boosted once. Haven't gotten it since I got the bivalent booster in November. J&J the first time 

26 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

unless you took multiple tests, you still might’ve had it.  Lots of people I know did not test positive until maybe the third or fourth test.

It's possible.  But if it was COVID, it was definitely the milder variety, because I never had the symptoms that a lot of other folks had (e.g., dry cough, sore throat, fever, loss of taste, etc.). 

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's possible.  But if it was COVID, it was definitely the milder variety, because I never had the symptoms that a lot of other folks had (e.g., dry cough, sore throat, fever, loss of taste, etc.). 

as long as people walk around with Covid and zero symptoms, it is certainly possible. 

Doc’s writing me a scrip for good codeine cough meds so I can sleep if the cough gets annoying. Decided that I was probably far enough along in the illness course (almost certainly 4 days, likely 6 or so) that the juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze on Paxlovid.
Feeling better today - no longer a steady cough of nasty gunk. Congestion is mostly in my head. No further fever today. Pulse ox steady at 97-99%. Recommended course is hydrate, rest, call if I get materially worse.
I worked most of a full day from home. I’m tired and out of energy, and would love it if my nose wasn’t clogged with 1,000 gallons of mucus, but otherwise…it’s just a thing. Kinda flu-ish, although it hasn’t laid me out with the brutal aches and fatigue like the flu can.
No sexy time with the wife for Valentines, though. So, that’s a negative.

• Hook 'Em 3